PDA

View Full Version : Rising Ras-I ..

andyg1984
04-06-2011, 12:04 AM
Seems like more and more people are calling Dowling a good pick in the second .. the obvious takeaway from that is we may not be able to get him at 63 ..

what i want to throw out there is what if we are sitting there stuck at 31 and all the big names are gone, but more specifically; heyward, williams and harris - the guys we have realistically talked about getting are gone .. is Ras-I worthy of the pick?

if we are truly stuck i am not opposed .. i think the guy is going to have a solid career and he is moving up boards as we speak .. im not surprised if he starts showing up in mocks to us at 31 tbh ...

--- Added 4/5/2011 at 11:04 PM ---

i should have probably called this re-emerging Ras-I lol ..

jpele
04-06-2011, 08:04 AM
I like Dowling but not with our first pick and I doubt that he's there at 63.

Sent from my IPhone using Tapatalk

cmerrifield
04-06-2011, 09:08 AM
I am not for trading down, but if Dowling is our BPA, then I think we should see if we could drop back 10 picks and get him. However, I really doubt there wont be someone worth the 31st there when we pick

andyg1984
04-06-2011, 09:23 AM
it is harder to trade down than people think .. that is the point of this question.. if we are stuck i think he is the only one who really justifies the pick ..

more specifically none of the following are available .. heyward, taylor, harris, williams, carimi, sherrod and pouncey ..

--- Added 4/6/2011 at 08:23 AM ---

i dont think heyward gets past BAL and NYJ, taylor could be snatched fast, the 3 OL are gone imo .. harris and williams both make cases to be there, but Ras-I might be a better fit than harris .. williams is the wildcard imo, but i'd mostly like to see what ev1 says if he is gone ..

K Train
04-06-2011, 09:24 AM
hes definitely in my top 10 potential #31 piicks...ideally hed be there in the second but it doesnt look like thats gonna happen.

i dont think brandon harris is the ebst pick for us, i like him alot but i dont think hed be a good fit. i think jimmy smith isnt even an option anymore, and i really have a hard time putting my finger on aaron williams...i cant tell if hes gonna be an upgrade over mcfadden and gay or an upgrade over clark....either way it needs to happen, but if hes a FS long term dowling or brown should be the second round pick...jmo

andyg1984
04-06-2011, 09:25 AM
the case is there that Ras-I is a better DB anyhow than Williams ..

K Train
04-06-2011, 09:28 AM
It depends what your looking for really...both were my top 2 potential CB to FS converters, but not exactly in the mold of antrel rolle or malcolm jenkins in that i didnt think there was a chance in hell they could play outside full time, both these guys could imo. Both timed very well, williams at like 4.34 but his game tape doesnt lie hes pretty stiff in coverage. dowling is a much smoother athlete and while both are good football players id give insticts to williams

andyg1984
04-06-2011, 11:28 AM
i thought williams was a 4.5 guy .. either way i think Ras-I can play both and williams is more of a FS ..

next thing that is sort of a bummer is i dont think jarvis jenkins is going to be there at 63 .. the second look people are putting into bowers is leading them to jenkins .. i saw a couple plays where he threw around rodney hudson like it was nothing ..

Rampage
04-06-2011, 11:43 AM
If the talent is gone at 31, trade back 10-15 spots if possible. I really like Dowling, but I think 31 would be a bit of a reach. I would want a little more value out of that pick.

JollyRob68
04-06-2011, 12:43 PM
I like RAS but we already have issues with injury prone DB's Troy P & Bmac. Plus Clark is Slow & Old. The type of Corner we need is different than what we usually select. We need a Speed,smooth,ball hawking CB and his name is CURTIS BROWN.
I'm also for taking Williams(how knows how to turn and locate the ball) and Rahim Moore.
I'm suprised more people aren't jumping on Rahim Moore and his Connection with New DB's coach Carnell Lake. When Lake coached Moore he had a breakout season with 10 INT's. Do?nt we wish we had someone like that to team with Troy

We can grab Richard Sherman later in the draft so that we have a thicker CB/FS type of player. I really hope teams come calling for the 31st pick but I dont want to move too far back. The choice becomes what other pick do you want? and extra 6,5 4 & 5, two 4's or 3rd? The higher the extra pick the further back you go.
My question to everyone is SAn Fran at 13th pick in 2nd round gives you two extra 4th's or OAkland(who wants into rd 1) at 16th pick in 2nd round gives you a 3rd?

K Train
04-06-2011, 01:11 PM
we also need someone who can tackle since troy cant...you want at least one good tackling safety.

i will say that our coaches do a hell of a job teaching tackling and seem to really stress it....ike, bmac and gay are some of the best tackling DBs in the game.

Ras-i brings a certain amount of physicality to the game that most corners this year dont have...hes probably the most physical corner in the draft and that with a 220 pound patrick peterson, not just at tackling but jamming and tackling in traffic

K Train
04-06-2011, 01:18 PM
also lets not make the mistake of saying because he was hurt for a portion of his senior year that hes injury prone....he plays through injuries and is a tough dude. hes got a thin lower body, thats something that will change and make him alot more durable, ask timmons who was an "injury prone" rookie that beefed up and told everyone that claled him a bust to shut up

JollyRob68
04-06-2011, 03:50 PM
also lets not make the mistake of saying because he was hurt for a portion of his senior year that hes injury prone....he plays through injuries and is a tough dude. hes got a thin lower body, thats something that will change and make him alot more durable, ask timmons who was an "injury prone" rookie that beefed up and told everyone that called him a bust to shut up

I hear you. One of the comments at the combine that they repeated was several scouts saying out loud " He's injured again"?. Your correct about my man Timmons. My concern is we have injuries with Bmac as a corner already and if we dont sign Ike thats a risk I wouldn't want to take. Select Williams who has some size,cover skills and actually looks back for the ball.

I'd have no issue trading slightly into the 2nd round and then drafting RAS. But what if you move back and miss Ras,Williams,Moore,Brown & Harris? Highly unlikely but a risk.
I'm all for taking The DB they want in rd 1and wouldn't be shocked if its Ras.
Mayock made the comment about value,need and what you can get later. He said you can get a tackle later.(He was talking about an earlier team but thought is still the same)

andyg1984
04-06-2011, 03:51 PM
i mean how "crazy" would it be for us to take a 6 ft 200 lb corner that runs well and is real physical .. with good college tape ..

it is only a matter of time before Kiper and crew start putting him to us there at 31 .. im going to go ahead right now and pencil him in as my guess for #31 ..

for #2 i want to move up and get jenkins .. i really dont think he is there at 63 .. i cannot believe some sites have wilkerson rated ahead of him as a 5 tech .. nor can i blv i used to like wilkerson as a 5 tech lol ..

K Train
04-06-2011, 03:59 PM
id be on board with him at 31 just to make sure....he wouldnt be much more than a 4th CB as a rookie, but would likely push butler to compete extra hard for his spot and i love me some crezdon butler.

i like jarvis jenkins alot, as a 5 tech and a potential nose as well....hes the best dlineman coming out of clemson this year...**** bowers

andyg1984
04-06-2011, 07:42 PM
i think by the end of the season he would be in the rotation at minimum .. maybe a starter tbh

i think jenkins is the guy who slipped through the cracks in this deep DL class .. if you watch his tape he is just so stout - and he can move too and i definitely agree about him coming in at NT ..

SteelDad
04-06-2011, 07:51 PM
He was on my radar big time heading into the combine and then I heard many of the same things andy did regarding his injuries as he pulled up lame in his 40. Maybe his training methods were flawed or he wasn't do something correctly? Anyone know how his pro day went? I'm not big on him with 31, but certainly after that I'd be OK.

coldrolled
04-06-2011, 10:05 PM
Lions Host CB Ras-I Dowling
The Detroit Lions hosted Virginia cornerback Ras-I Dowling on Wednesday, the team announced on its official website.

Dowling (6-2, 198) was an All-ACC selection his sophomore and junior seasons before struggling with injuries in 2010. During his four-year career, Dowling totaled 160 tackles, 28 passes defensed, 8 interceptions, and a quarterback sack.

Dowling ran a 4.40-40 at the Combine, but injured his hamstring and was unable to complete his workout or participate in Virginia's pro day. Earlier this week, Dowling ran in the 4.4-range in the 40 and posted a 38" vertical leap with a 10'8" broad jump.

With his combination of size, speed, and athleticism, Dowling is projected to be drafted on the second day of the draft.

JollyRob68
04-07-2011, 02:39 PM
Steelers will take him in rd 1 unless the get a good deal for that31st spot.
Yes I'm all for Jarvis Jenkins in the second.
If we traded into the second round I'd be fine taking Jenkins first then a CB unless RAs or Brown were still on the board.

? Wouldn't make sense to take Rahim Moore seeing that when he was coached by CarnelL Lake he was a Ball HAwk with 10 INT'S?

--- Added 4/7/2011 at 01:39 PM ---

His ProDay he ran 4.36 and was great in drills He moved to Mike Mayocks # 4 CB and a late 1st early second pick.
Biggest issue we have is Philly & New England.

K Train
04-07-2011, 02:45 PM
imo moore is 2 years away from any significant playing time, which isnt really a bad thing but hes got alot of work to do....sure he can catch and run but hes very very raw and really needs to tighten up his game fundementally....id love him in the second, which is pretty much his ceiling imo, hes a 2-4 round guy

and i would like to see him play CB in the pros...hed be better than keenan lewis from day one

JollyRob68
04-07-2011, 02:48 PM
Lions Host CB Ras-I Dowling
The Detroit Lions hosted Virginia cornerback Ras-I Dowling on Wednesday, the team announced on its official website.

Dowling (6-2, 198) was an All-ACC selection his sophomore and junior seasons before struggling with injuries in 2010. During his four-year career, Dowling totaled 160 tackles, 28 passes defensed, 8 interceptions, and a quarterback sack.

Dowling ran a 4.40-40 at the Combine, but injured his hamstring and was unable to complete his workout or participate in Virginia's pro day. Earlier this week, Dowling ran in the 4.4-range in the 40 and posted a 38" vertical leap with a 10'8" broad jump.

With his combination of size, speed, and athleticism, Dowling is projected to be drafted on the second day of the draft.

His ProDay he ran 4.36 and was great in drills He moved to Mike Mayocks # 4 CB and a late 1st early second pick.

K Train
04-07-2011, 03:00 PM
his 4.36 is without question impressive, however when you watch him he does lack closing speed and with his over agressivness if he gets beat he does struggle to catch up...its a give/take thing but you can definitely tell by watching him that he times faster than he plays, as do a lot of CBs. Revis timed tremendous, but its his fundementals that make him great....hes not the fastest CB out there.

Rasi did look smooth as hell from the little i saw though, not curtis brown smooth but smooth nonetheless

like ive said before theres a few players that in my eyes have helped themselves an incredible amount this offseason....they are dowling, phil taylor, and curtis brown....it would just be a delight to have any of them on the roster

JollyRob68
04-07-2011, 03:50 PM
his 4.36 is without question impressive, however when you watch him he does lack closing speed and with his over agressivness if he gets beat he does struggle to catch up...its a give/take thing but you can definitely tell by watching him that he times faster than he plays, as do a lot of CBs. Revis timed tremendous, but its his fundementals that make him great....hes not the fastest CB out there.

Rasi did look smooth as hell from the little i saw though, not curtis brown smooth but smooth nonetheless

like ive said before theres a few players that in my eyes have helped themselves an incredible amount this offseason....they are dowling, phil taylor, and curtis brown....it would just be a delight to have any of them on the roster

I agree with all 3. Id still take Curtis Brown but Phil Taylor would be tough to leave on the board. He covers NT & 5 tech for us.

JollyRob68
04-08-2011, 01:29 PM
I've seen a couple mocks that had us taking Aaron Williams in the first & Ras I Dowling in the second with the thought that one can be groomed as a Safety. Not bad at all.

connecticutsteel
04-09-2011, 02:38 AM
moore is a bit slow for corner 4.6 ras i is 4.4 that is a noticible differencehe can play safety but hes too slow to be rooled into a corner dowling has the value at 31

K Train
04-09-2011, 07:57 AM
moore ran a 4.53, not bad....hes pretty smooth in coverage though

JollyRob68
04-10-2011, 02:12 PM
moore ran a 4.53, not bad....hes pretty smooth in coverage though

My thoughts on Moore is this, If were going to give Carnell Lake new toys to retool the secondary why not give him his player? Moore had 10 INT's when Lake was his coach for 1 year. Imagine what he'll do with him as well as Donovan Warren,Keenan Lewis & Crezdon Butler.
I'd love to get Rahim Moore and Curtis Brown/Ras I Dowling OR another CB/FS type player like Richard Sherman