PDA

View Full Version : Some of the Free Agents rumored to be looked at by the STEELERS, By Bleacher Reports.

SteelerDave74
03-27-2011, 09:39 PM
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/646743-players-the-steelers-may-target-in-free-agency/page/1

RANDY FREAKING MOSS, ARE YOU KIDDING ME? :evilshake::evilshake::evilshake:
Antonio Cromartie, hmmmmmm.
Jared Gaither, Now wouldn't that be a kick in the Raven's big ***. HEHEHE :tt02::tt02:

BlitzburghRockCity
03-27-2011, 10:07 PM
Every year there are rumors that the Steelers are targeting this high profile free agent or that one and it never pans out. The Steelers have not, nor will they go out and spend 10's of millions of dollars on big name free agents. They build through the draft and they fill in the holes with middle tier players available on the market. Occasionally they will bring a guy like Ryan Clark or James Farrior, but they hardly over pay for them. They will find the guys that fit their system and pay fair market value. Then if that player pans out like those 2 guys did they are more than willing to open the checkbook to keep them.

There is no way the Steelers will bring in Randy Moss, period. Cromartie is a decent talent but he talks too much and clearly his antics last year with the media will be his downfall as far as the Steelers are concerned.

Rampage
03-28-2011, 12:44 PM
Every year there are rumors that the Steelers are targeting this high profile free agent or that one and it never pans out. The Steelers have not, nor will they go out and spend 10's of millions of dollars on big name free agents. They build through the draft and they fill in the holes with middle tier players available on the market. Occasionally they will bring a guy like Ryan Clark or James Farrior, but they hardly over pay for them. They will find the guys that fit their system and pay fair market value. Then if that player pans out like those 2 guys did they are more than willing to open the checkbook to keep them.

There is no way the Steelers will bring in Randy Moss, period. Cromartie is a decent talent but he talks too much and clearly his antics last year with the media will be his downfall as far as the Steelers are concerned.

Yeah, I have a feeling that the Steelers won't be making any splashes if free agency. Too many big name Steelers need new contracts this year or next. That said, if the Steelers are considering the FAs on Bleacher Report, here are my thoughts:

1) Randy Moss - Absolutely not. The guy have proven to be an overpaid cancer. With The emergence of Wallace, Sanders and Brown, I don't think the Steelers need to invest in a free agent WR. I would rather have ARE for another year.
2) Kevin Boss - Actually a somewhat intriguing potential acquisition. Like the article suggests, could you imagine having Heath Miller and Kevin Boss on the field at the same time with Mendenhall in the backfield? That could be a very dangerous offense in short yardage situations.
3) Jared Gaither - I would really like this. I believe Gaither is a quality LT and Starks could slide over to RT. There would be no need for Colon (doesn't want to play guard, supposedly) or Adams at that point, so the money could be there to do this.
4) Carlos Rogers - I'm 50/50 on this one. He'd be affordable and I've seen him have some good games; however, I think he may be like Bryant McFadden 2.0. We know what he is capable of, but can he actually deliver? I would rather see the team go after a more proven free agent corner or a rookie in the first round.
5) Antonio Cromartie - Again, I am split on this one. More than likely, Cromartie would solve this team's corner problem. Unfortunately, he is a talker and he is going to command some money on the market. I don't think the Steelers will be willing to throw enough money at him to lure him to the 'burgh.
6) Matt Prater - Meh, he's a kicker. I am also a bit hesitant about Denver kickers because eight games per year are in Mile High Stadium.
7) Ryan Longwell - Can a dome kicker carry that success over into the mud hole called Heinz Field?

TampaSteelGirl
03-28-2011, 02:34 PM
Moss and Cromartie....BIG FAT NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Zachintosh66
03-28-2011, 02:47 PM
id take a looksy at Jared, Kevin or Carlos...

Cricker24
03-28-2011, 05:16 PM
7) Ryan Longwell - Can a dome kicker carry that success over into the mud hole called Heinz Field?

actually, before playing for the Vikings, Longwell played for the Packers and was very successful. I'm not saying the Steelers will sign him, but he does have experience kicking outdoors and in bad weather.

greg1964
03-28-2011, 07:05 PM
Jaried from B-More YES, Boss from NYG YES and Rogers from WASH..YES but forget the others. These moves would aloud for the Steelers fro focus on D-line in the 1st round this year

Big T
03-30-2011, 12:19 AM
People saying no to Cromartie are being ridiculous. He would be a great addition to the worst part of the team. Sure he isn't the smartest guy out there, and he has a mouth, but he is a tall, fast, talented Man corner that would definitely improve the secondary. Plus he's never really played under a coaching staff as disciplined as Tomlin and LeBeau.

I'd like to see Cromartie in a steelers jersey, but obviously that's just me.

andyg1984
03-30-2011, 12:22 AM
i agree, cromartie would be a great fit .. back when SD had a pass-rush was when he was at his best ..

Blazedby92
03-30-2011, 09:12 AM
Cro wasn't a loud mouth in SD, I think he just took on the coach and teams personallity in NY. I'll take his talent here anyday, I wanted him coming out of FSU.

K Train
03-30-2011, 10:23 AM
cro is exactly the kind of corner you want with a nasty pass rush. SD pass rush was ****, NYJs was so so, ours is amazing. he has elite hands, ball skills and return ability. him being a loud mouth is because rex ryan encourages it

LatrobePA
03-30-2011, 10:42 AM
Would we actually sign a "big" time name is the question..

Steel Trap86
03-30-2011, 10:51 AM
Wouldn't mind seeing Boss here. He's a very reliable redzone target, but so is Miller.

Cromartie would be huge, but no way they touch that.

Deviouz1
03-30-2011, 10:53 AM
as far as talent goes, cro is undoubtedly an asset and if it werent for his steeler specific comments i would be all for having him on the secondary. but really who do we have that has a mouth? is it likely that we would one day just up and decide to gain one? isnt that one of those "character" things some folk keep talking about? seems to me it would be akin to, though not to the same extent, signing a defensive randy moss.

:2cents:

K Train
03-30-2011, 11:01 AM
Harrison has a big mouth, so does ward. Idk where the notion came from that all steelers players keep to themselves and are choir boys. joey porter is an all time favorite of mine and he was a great motivator on the field with his mouth.

Cro isnt shy about talking to the media, he just said Smith and the NFLPA are being *******s with their negotiations...and hes right

Deviouz1
03-30-2011, 11:12 AM
Harrison has a big mouth, so does ward. Idk where the notion came from that all steelers players keep to themselves and are choir boys. joey porter is an all time favorite of mine and he was a great motivator on the field with his mouth.

thus the "some folks" comment. however, harrison and ward arent looking to join the teams theyre bashing and Joey, while i agree was a bit mouthy, usually wasnt off the field. on the field he was most assuredly a motivator but that rarely had anything to do with any specific team or player, it was whoever was in front of him. kinda reminded me of a modern day jack lambert... only not quite as smart and "blessed" with a squeaky voice that almost made you forget what he was saying.

Cro isnt shy about talking to the media, he just said Smith and the NFLPA are being *******s with their negotiations...and hes right

agreed. not saying i cant stand the guy, just saying that im not entirely certain he would make a good teammate for the steelers OR that he would want to join in the 1st place. seems to me one wouldnt want to join a team they felt compelled to bash.

but again, :2cents:

Steel Trap86
03-30-2011, 11:13 AM
f*ck I miss Porter. I was infuriated when we traded him...still am.

coldrolled
03-30-2011, 11:39 AM
Wouldn't mind seeing Boss here. He's a very reliable redzone target, but so is Miller.

Cromartie would be huge, but no way they touch that.

Namadi or cromartie or another top CB draft pick may be gone because of this story below and things will change quickly... The steelers will run Butler and hope for Keenan and burn another year... I would spend the money on a CB now, as these are precious years for the steelers, get a top CB and we are in the SB again...

Arrest Warrant Issued for Buccaneers CB Aqib Talib
Garland, Texas police have obtained an arrest warrant for Tampa Bay Buccaneers cornerback Aqib Talib in connection to a March 21 shooting, Rick Stroud of the St. Petersburg Times reports.

Talib allegedly pistol-whipped sister's boyfriend, who fired two shots at with his mother's handgun. Talib will be charged with aggravated assault with a deadly weapon, a second-degree felony which carries between 2 to 20 years in prison.

A warrant was also issued for the arrest of Talib's mother, Okolo Talib, who was also charged with aggravated assault with a deadly weapon and an additional charge of felon in possession of a firearm.

K Train
03-30-2011, 11:43 AM
talib is coming off a hell of a year too...LOL

Steel Trap86
03-30-2011, 11:57 AM
that's a heavy charge.

and from what I understand, the laws in Texas are tight as f*ck. if convicted, he's doin time.

LatrobePA
03-30-2011, 12:15 PM
that's a heavy charge.

and from what I understand, the laws in Texas are tight as f*ck. if convicted, he's doin time.

Yea, I had to laugh, his mother was charged too! At least it's a family affair, makes the lawyer fees cheaper I bet!

coldrolled
03-30-2011, 02:37 PM
Yea, I had to laugh, his mother was charged too! At least it's a family affair, makes the lawyer fees cheaper I bet!

he will get suspended for a week in september.... :lol:.

Talib Surrenders to Police
Tampa Bay Buccaneers cornerback Aqib Talib has surrendered to police in Garland, Texas, Rick Stroud of the St. Petersburg Times reports.

Talib was booked on aggravated assault with a deadly weapon charges after allegedly pistol-whipping and firing two shots with his mother's handgun at his sister's boyfriend on March 21.

Bail is expected to be set at $25,000. If convicted, the former first-round pick out of Kansas faces between 2 and 20 years in prison.

Talib's mother, Okolo Talib, turned herself in on similar charges on Tuesday. Okolo Talib was also charged with felon in possession of a firearm, which upped her bail to $30,000.

Big T
03-30-2011, 03:59 PM
f*ck I miss Porter. I was infuriated when we traded him...still am.

He was a FA. They just didn't resign him.

K Train
03-30-2011, 04:13 PM
not that it matters, but im pretty sure he was cut in the final year of his deal

andyg1984
03-30-2011, 04:29 PM
i think he was released ... we had harrison waiting around ..

--- Added 3/30/2011 at 02:29 PM ---

speaking of off the field issue DB's, any1 know the status of perrish cox? im not sure if he was for sure going to jail ..

BlitzburghRockCity
03-31-2011, 05:10 PM
I was mad when Porter wasn't resigned as well; but he wasn't the type of player that would fit into a Tomlin team.

He's a fiery, outspoken, trash talking, player. He is a Cowher type of player and fit in well with that type of emotion. Tomlin type players are emotional on the field but they aren't the trash talking, media stirring, type of player.

I will always love Porter, that dude was just fun to watch.

Blazedby92
04-04-2011, 01:20 PM
Porter was such a Cowher player he couldn't even see the potential oh his back up. I lime porter but give me Harrison anytime.
Cowher was way too much of a players coach

Who said porter was traded? Lol

Mike Tomlin
04-08-2011, 11:59 PM
that's a heavy charge.

Man I grew up in Mississippi and in the south money talks. You would be amazed at some cases peope beat with money down there. If he was in anyway defending his sister believe he will get off with a slap on the wrist ,if he was just a regular guy it wouldn't matter he'd probaly get 5 years which is damn near mandatory for gun charges down there. From what i've read this guy has roughed his sister up a few times.

Phenomenal TJ
04-09-2011, 04:05 AM
Porter was going to drop off soon. Which he did. And then he exploded with a 17.5 sack year in 2008 with Miami. And then dropped off the map again.

jnes1216
04-09-2011, 05:27 AM
You guys got me all excited about Grimes from atlanta then he resigns with the falcons. i just dont think colbert does **** thru free agency, done... thats been the way it is. i guess we'll just have to keep drafting players like sanders, brown. i love the thought of the immediate fix like you too, but it never happens.

connecticutsteel
04-10-2011, 07:48 PM
People saying no to Cromartie are being ridiculous. He would be a great addition to the worst part of the team. Sure he isn't the smartest guy out there, and he has a mouth, but he is a tall, fast, talented Man corner that would definitely improve the secondary. Plus he's never really played under a coaching staff as disciplined as Tomlin and LeBeau.

ridiculous is right we dont need any of these players the steelers will draft there players and promote others the secondary will be better nextyear with ras i and taylor ,butler b-mac ,and the others

Callax
04-10-2011, 08:45 PM
Moss NO!!! never

Boss would be nice
Cromartie, if he can stop trying to impregnate every woman on the planet, would be big pickup
Rogers, love to have him here

K Train
04-10-2011, 10:03 PM
the more kids cro makes the more potential defensive backs down the road....since he and his cousin are NFL DBs, he should find a Rolle sister and make a super defensive back

SteelCityKid5
04-12-2011, 11:11 PM
I highly doubt Moss

Stlrs4Life
04-17-2011, 12:32 PM

Exactly, no way Moss or Cromartie even sniff a Steelers jersey.

coldrolled
04-17-2011, 02:41 PM
Exactly, no way Moss or Cromartie even sniff a Steelers jersey.

NA and were in the SB. :imho:

Real Deal Steel
04-20-2011, 03:24 AM
Sorry..but I"m still hoping against hope for Asumunga

coach
04-22-2011, 02:44 PM
I am going to break the rules and answer a question that was posed in the war room here in this thread.
Cromartie is my NOOOOOOOOOOOO guy this year.

No way I want to see him in black and gold. It was such a joy to watch us throw against him and his big mouth last year with success.

He might be a decent football player but he would be a lousy Steeler.

There is no chance they will pay him what he will be looking for anyway so there is no chance he is coming.

coldrolled
04-22-2011, 06:48 PM
oakland said today Nmadi will not be a raider next year.

LatrobePA
04-22-2011, 07:00 PM
This team is 1 pc of the puzzle away from ruling the AFC (maybe 2 counting BA), IMO!!

Farrior Fan
04-24-2011, 10:19 PM
And that one piece is named Nmandi. I can already hear the "Pittsburghs goin to the Super Bowl" song again! I honestly wonder if we got Nmandi, Troy and A. Smither, and 92were healthy. Could the Browns score 3 points on us in 2 games? Would we give up 50 pts the whole season? We would be nasty x2

Real Deal Steel
01-14-2013, 10:27 PM
I too will pass on cromartie.

NeilPatrickBanana
01-14-2013, 10:34 PM

he doesn't fit at all...
unless we change the schemes completely.
he's a very good man corner... who also happens to be the worst tackling DB in the NFL. In our schemes that require the CB to play in space, and get after runners on the outside... he'd be an awful fit

NeilPatrickBanana
01-14-2013, 10:35 PM
cro is exactly the kind of corner you want with a nasty pass rush. SD pass rush was ****, NYJs was so so, ours is amazing. he has elite hands, ball skills and return ability. him being a loud mouth is because rex ryan encourages it

i was reading this... and thought... WTF??? and finally realized this is from almost 2 years ago.

amazing pass rush.... lol

NeilPatrickBanana
01-14-2013, 10:36 PM
why did this thread get bumped?

ChucktownSteeler
01-15-2013, 08:10 AM
The clip may have changed, but the date is from 2011. A little old.

Goodfrom55
01-15-2013, 04:52 PM
Steelers will be lucky to sign their own RFA's and UFA's. Not to mention the draft class.

Until significant cap room is made, there wil be no high priced FA's signed by the Steelers.

Wouldn't be surprised if they tried to sign Ben to a contract extension for the next 5 or 6 years which would help defer some cap space.

Nolrog
01-15-2013, 08:22 PM
Heh. Thread necromancy. Got me on that one. Well done.