PDA

View Full Version : William Gay Is Better Than Polamalu At...

Phenomenal TJ
03-20-2011, 02:42 AM
Bringing pressure to the quarterback.

10.) If one defensive back blitz stuck in the memory it was Troy Polamalu against the Ravens as he strip sacked Joe Flacco. Other than that, Polamalu put forth a modest effort, converting 21.21% of his blitzes into pressure less than his Steelers teammate, William Gay (21.74%.)

http://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2011/03/19/defensive-backs-bringing-heat/

Not significantly, but I'm sure I'll enjoy riling people up with the topic title, lmao.

At the very least, it adds a statistical reasoning for William Gay not being completely worthless.

DanRooney
03-20-2011, 02:56 AM
Bringing pressure to the quarterback.

http://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2011/03/19/defensive-backs-bringing-heat/

Not significantly, but I'm sure I'll enjoy riling people up with the topic title, lmao.

At the very least, it adds a statistical reasoning for William Gay not being completely worthless.

Pretty obvious with as much success as he's had at blitzing. But this is pretty much equivalent to saying Limas Sweed is a better blocker than Mike Wallace.

steeldoc
03-20-2011, 10:02 AM
Gay is also great at wondering around in the backfield completely alone with no receivers in sight. Yeah he might be quick, but I think he's pretty stoopid. A dolphin has better hands than that guy.:lol:

BlitzburghRockCity
03-20-2011, 10:25 AM
Gay biggest asset this year was his blitzing ability. He has a knack for being able to get to the Quarterback, and Lebeau knows it's a good situation to put him in. All in all nobody is going to trade Troy for Will but I still say that even though Gay struggled this year he did show improvement from 2009-2010.

Rampage
03-20-2011, 01:04 PM
Everyone bitches about Gay and while I do too, I cannot ignore his ability on the blitz. He can be an option for blitzing out of the nickel/dime packages, but his coverage skills are very meh.

SteelDad
03-20-2011, 01:10 PM
We're in a difficult spot with Gay because we all agree he blitzes as well as any CB in the league and will get better with Carnell coaching him, but his coverage skills are poor. The other issue is who else would be better than him that we could get in FA? Might be able to find other DB's but my guess is the price would be significantly higher.

pimplydan
03-20-2011, 01:45 PM
This post is a stupid as comparing marbles to bowling balls .

Every team in the nfl knows when polamalu is at the line of srimmage he may be coming , so they adjust to the posiblility that he is coming .

Gay comes in unaccounted for , thats the difference .

Nobody comes to the QB faster than Polamalu , what sport do you watch ?

Man sorry for being harsh but this strike talk ,off season after superbowl loss , no football to watch on tv is getting to me .
The only football talk that interest me now would be possible draft picks , that if their is a draft at all.

jnes1216
03-20-2011, 02:28 PM
This post is a stupid as comparing marbles to bowling balls .

Every team in the nfl knows when polamalu is at the line of srimmage he may be coming , so they adjust to the posiblility that he is coming .

Gay comes in unaccounted for , thats the difference .

Nobody comes to the QB faster than Polamalu , what sport do you watch ?

Man sorry for being harsh but this strike talk ,off season after superbowl loss , no football to watch on tv is getting to me .
The only football talk that interest me now would be possible draft picks , that if their is a draft at all.
yes you have the desired effect. no way gay compares to the stingin' samoanen. troy is beyond comparison, his range, his effective field is tough to compare. Put nike cleats on a fairy and you realize the game plan this guy present......

DanRooney
03-20-2011, 05:53 PM
yes you have the desired effect. no way gay compares to the stingin' samoanen. troy is beyond comparison, his range, his effective field is tough to compare. Put nike cleats on a fairy and you realize the game plan this guy present......

What are you guys talking about? He sucks and can't tackle. Troy is always getting burnt. Matthews should have won DPOY.

Oh wait I'm done impersonating a few unnamed people in this group. :popcorn:

coach
03-20-2011, 08:55 PM
William Gay Is Better Than Polamalu at bringing pressure to the quarterback...

When Troy has a gimpy ankle and Gay is completey healthy;
When Troy is actually covering receivers instead of blitzing;
When Gay is sent as often as possible because its not like they are going to miss him in the secondary anyway, so why not "gamble." It's a gamble when you ask him to cover when the other team has a bona fide passing game.

If Gay could cover better, others could pressue the QB. I am really hoping we get a cb in the draft but it doesn't look like it will happen this year at 31.

LatrobePA
03-20-2011, 11:30 PM
Oh no you didn't. Troy is the greatest, he does no wrong!!

Didn't you know that, never ever diss Troy out here or you'll get flamed..

The dude had maybe 3 great games, then fell off the radar!

DanRooney
03-21-2011, 03:55 AM
Oh no you didn't. Troy is the greatest, he does no wrong!!

Didn't you know that, never ever diss Troy out here or you'll get flamed..

The dude had maybe 3 great games, then fell off the radar!

Yeah because Clay Matthews didn't have like 9 sacks in the first 5 games and then cool down. Every great player should play great in every game he steps foot in. If you thought Troy had a combined 3 good games you it's obvious you don't know what you are talking about. He made about 5-6 game winning plays.

Get off KTrain's balls.

Steel Trap86
03-21-2011, 04:43 AM
Yeah because Clay Matthews didn't have like 9 sacks in the first 5 games and then cool down. Every great player should play great in every game he steps foot in. If you thought Troy had a combined 3 good games you it's obvious you don't know what you are talking about. He made about 5-6 game winning plays.

Get off KTrain's balls.
:plus1:

F*ck at LEAST 5-6 game changing plays. The Flacco strip stands out the most because it not only won us the game, but the division. The Carson Palmer pick 6 was freak **** and his new Superman jump on goal line plays is a whole next level. Troy has instincts you could never coach into a player and I'll take the good with the bad for a player like that any day. The guy needs to get in the weight room a little more this off-season though.

Phenomenal TJ
03-21-2011, 04:44 AM
If y'all truly think the statistics (not opinion) is stupid, feel more than free to shoot an email over to ProFootballFocus stating that. I'm sure they'll take it into consideration right after they process all of the $90 payments they get for providing stats.

On a sidenote, I want to make $90 for providing stats. :(

DIESELMAN
03-21-2011, 05:57 AM
21.74% vs. 21.21%? Wow!!! That really is an amazing stat!!! Are you ****ing kidding me? .53%, that is such an insignificant difference, you might as well call it even. I could see if it was 21.21% vs. 35.66%, this offseason really is ****ing with peoples minds.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DanRooney
03-21-2011, 08:39 AM
:plus1:

F*ck at LEAST 5-6 game changing plays. The Flacco strip stands out the most because it not only won us the game, but the division. The Carson Palmer pick 6 was freak **** and his new Superman jump on goal line plays is a whole next level. Troy has instincts you could never coach into a player and I'll take the good with the bad for a player like that any day. The guy needs to get in the weight room a little more this off-season though.

-The interception of Matt Ryan that stopped them from driving down the field as the game was ending (and should have won us the game if it wasn't for the paper towel pugilist)
-Troy's interception in the endzone of Vince Young in a game we only won by 8 (the Superman tackle also stands out on 3rd and goal)
-Troy's interception against the Bills by the endzone late in the game

That's 5 game changing plays including the 2 already mentioned. I don't know where you got "3 and then disappeared for the rest of the season" from. And it's not like he also had bad games against Tampa (blow out, held to 13 points), the first Baltimore game (held to 17 points), Oakland (blow out, held to 3 points), and the last Cleveland game (blow out, interception on the 2nd play of the game and held to 9 points).

Flacco was held to 125 yards in the AFC Championship btw. Mason and Boldin did NOTHING. But I guess 2 missed tackles on Ray Rice constitutes shittyness.

connecticutsteel
03-21-2011, 11:01 AM
how many times did gay blitz vs polamalu gay blitzed a few times thus padding his stats i say cut will gay if our corners were even a little better we beat the packers even with 4 tos

LatrobePA
03-21-2011, 11:12 AM

Get off KTrain's balls.

LOL, cool down is what you should do girlfriend!

As for your last comment, I won't even reply to that other than isn't that like calling the kettle black? I'm beginning to think you're a polamalu-cule attached to Troys c**k!

I love getting a rise off you Troy nut riders, the dude had 3-4 good games last season, robbed Mathews of DMVP, and had his hand in losing the SB with his freelance football style!

andyg1984
03-21-2011, 01:40 PM
all this troy hating sounds like people wanting to be contrarion moreso than anything .. i think we need to step back and be more specific .. i think the leaders of this "movement" (which I am not) may have thought he was overrated and then had a sub-par close to the season vs. thinking he is simply mediocre.. BIG difference .. lets not forget he was injured whether we want to admit it or not ..

DanRooney
03-21-2011, 03:27 PM
LOL, cool down is what you should do girlfriend!

As for your last comment, I won't even reply to that other than isn't that like calling the kettle black? I'm beginning to think you're a polamalu-cule attached to Troys c**k!

I love getting a rise off you Troy nut riders, the dude had 3-4 good games last season, robbed Mathews of DMVP, and had his hand in losing the SB with his freelance football style!

Nope still can't count.

Matthews is the one who had 3-4 good games. He had 6 sacks in the first two games and ended up with 13.5 for the rest of the year with only 60 tackles and 2 forced fumbles. That constitutes DPOY? Harrison had better stats than him. A player in his own position. *cough* K-Train *gargle gargle*

SteelDad
03-21-2011, 04:07 PM
The comparison of TP and Gay as pass rushers is one thing. The comparison between the two as cover-men is one thing too, but the comparison of them as overall defensive backs is not applicable. First of all Gay is a CB and TP is a SS. They both require different skill sets both in man-to-man and in zone coverage. If you want to compare them as flat-out football players, you cannot deny that TP is far and above the better player in talent, knowledge of the game, and overall instinct. He also has a greater affect on the opposition's game-planning than perhaps any other player in the league with the exceptions of guys like Revis and Matthews. You can argue all day as to who was the rightful MVP. I really don't care. What I do know is that TP did not come up with plays in the playoffs that he is known for and whether he was hurt or not doesn't matter. He'd be the first to tell you he got exposed in the SB. Is what it is guys.

LatrobePA
03-21-2011, 05:26 PM
The comparison of TP and Gay as pass rushers is one thing. The comparison between the two as cover-men is one thing too, but the comparison of them as overall defensive backs is not applicable. First of all Gay is a CB and TP is a SS. They both require different skill sets both in man-to-man and in zone coverage. If you want to compare them as flat-out football players, you cannot deny that TP is far and above the better player in talent, knowledge of the game, and overall instinct. He also has a greater affect on the opposition's game-planning than perhaps any other player in the league with the exceptions of guys like Revis and Matthews. You can argue all day as to who was the rightful MVP. I really don't care. What I do know is that TP did not come up with plays in the playoffs that he is known for and whether he was hurt or not doesn't matter. He'd be the first to tell you he got exposed in the SB. Is what it is guys.

Spot on...I have no further comments your honor! :yellowthumb:

DanRooney
03-21-2011, 05:58 PM

DPOY voting is done before the playoffs. oops.

lol@gameplanning for Matthews. That defense is known for their strong CBs in their nickel package. They prepare more for Williams and Woodson more than anything else.

Phenomenal TJ
03-22-2011, 01:45 PM
DPOY voting is done before the playoffs. oops.

lol@gameplanning for Matthews. That defense is known for their strong CBs in their nickel package. They prepare more for Williams and Woodson more than anything else.

I'm sure Williams keeps offensive coordinators up at night. :thinking:

LatrobePA
03-22-2011, 02:24 PM

Mathews is a force and has to be taken into account at all times, terrible argument man!

It's like saying teams don't game plan for Harrison or Woodley...

DanRooney
03-22-2011, 04:26 PM
Mathews is a force and has to be taken into account at all times, terrible argument man!

It's like saying teams don't game plan for Harrison or Woodley...

The Packers are not a pass rushing force like the Steelers are. Nickel package man. Their DBs are their strong point. Williams played spectacular. They also have some dude named Charles Woodson.

I forgot to gameplanning around Woodley. See what the Packers did was have Bulaga, a rookie RT, to block him 1-on-1 the entire game. They pretty much said he was one move called the bullrush. :popcorn:

SteelDad
03-22-2011, 04:58 PM
If we're going to turn this into a 'Steelers D v. Packers D' then that's cool. Here's what we know.

1. Both run 3-4
2. Both have solid Nose Tackle
3. Steelers have advantage at overall LB
4. Packers have advantage at 'pass-rushing DL'
5. Steelers have advantage at 'run-stopping DL'
6. Packers have better corners overall, both in coverage and tackling
7. Steelers are better at both safety positions

When all healthy, is it a push?

Bottomline is that LeBeau and Capers run similar 3-4's yet because of personnel, call things differently. Secondary personnel dictates a lot. Let's face it, Woodson and Williams are pretty solid CB's while we are left with just Ike. That can completely alter the way a coordinator plans for opponents. Back to the Matthews issue...Would we put Matthews in the same category as Lawrence Taylor in terms of a guy that MUST be gameplaned for? No, not quite in that echelon but Matthews is easily one of the best pass-rushing LB's in the league and I guarantee every opponent makes sure they know where Matthews is on every play. I would have to think that when teams play us, they account for 92 and 43 and when teams play the Packers they account for Matthews and Woodson.

LatrobePA
03-22-2011, 05:10 PM
The Packers are not a pass rushing force like the Steelers are. Nickel package man. Their DBs are their strong point. Williams played spectacular. They also have some dude named Charles Woodson.

I forgot to gameplanning around Woodley. See what the Packers did was have Bulaga, a rookie RT, to block him 1-on-1 the entire game. They pretty much said he was one move called the bullrush. :popcorn:

Steelers vs Packers 1 time...Still not an argument!

Troy appears to of been exposed badly and being this is a copy cat league teams caught on to it late in the season and completely removed him from the game.

Tomlin calls Wallace a one trick pony, at least Troy has the mane, so IMO Troy is more fitting for that title...

DanRooney
03-22-2011, 06:02 PM
Steelers vs Packers 1 time...Still not an argument!

Troy appears to of been exposed badly and being this is a copy cat league teams caught on to it late in the season and completely removed him from the game.

Tomlin calls Wallace a one trick pony, at least Troy has the mane, so IMO Troy is more fitting for that title...

Yeah I guess teams did catch on late in the season. By late you mean in the 2 games he didn't play, minus the Cleveland game where he intercepted the first ball thrown and sat the second half, and not really the Ravens AFCC game because Flacco threw for 125 yards (I guess not tackling Ray Rice was Baltimore's 'gameplan'), or really the Jets game because Ike Taylor fell on one of the deep TD passes to Holmes (clearly Troy's fault)...but I guess in the SB.

Owned (again). :yellowthumb:

SteelDad
03-22-2011, 08:44 PM
I appreciate and respect your passion for TP Rooney, but the guy was not himself in the playoffs and he would tell you that himself. Injury or not, he was a step behind many plays in the playoffs and in the SB. Either way, teams will enter the season, (if we have one) gameplanning for exactly where 43 is at all times. Just ask Carson Palmer.

LatrobePA
03-22-2011, 09:46 PM
Yeah I guess teams did catch on late in the season. By late you mean in the 2 games he didn't play, minus the Cleveland game where he intercepted the first ball thrown and sat the second half, and not really the Ravens AFCC game because Flacco threw for 125 yards (I guess not tackling Ray Rice was Baltimore's 'gameplan'), or really the Jets game because Ike Taylor fell on one of the deep TD passes to Holmes (clearly Troy's fault)...but I guess in the SB.

Owned (again). :yellowthumb:

Your argument once again means nothing you named 3 games out of 19 total played.

The only one owned was your life partner wannabe Troy, Mr. 43!! :eek1:

DanRooney
03-22-2011, 10:15 PM
I appreciate and respect your passion for TP Rooney, but the guy was not himself in the playoffs and he would tell you that himself. Injury or not, he was a step behind many plays in the playoffs and in the SB. Either way, teams will enter the season, (if we have one) gameplanning for exactly where 43 is at all times. Just ask Carson Palmer.

I think the lack of splash plays in the playoffs is what confusing everyone. You can't make these every game. Troy made a ton of them throughout the season.

Latroll is saying that Troy is undeserving of DPOY. That has nothing to do with playoff play. Can someone here argue against that? Every single argument I'm hearing is not supported with anything.

--- Added 3/22/2011 at 08:15 PM ---

Your argument once again means nothing you named 3 games out of 19 total played.

The only one owned was your life partner wannabe Troy, Mr. 43!! :eek1:

For about the 5th time K-Train's cum guzzler fails again.

1. Falcons
2. Titans
3. Bills
4. Bengals game 2
5. Ravens game 2

Rampage
03-22-2011, 10:34 PM
I love how this thread has turned into a pissing match. Early in the season, everyone was hugging TP's coin purse and now half of the Steeler faithful have jumped off the bandwagon because the Steelers got torched in the SB.

We all know Polamalu is good. Saying he isn't is like saying a Ferrari sucks complete *** because it has four flats. Give Polamalu some help in the secondary and a healthy body, and he'll do exactly what we all know he can.

LatrobePA
03-23-2011, 12:41 AM
For about the 5th time K-Train's cum guzzler fails again.

1. Falcons
2. Titans
3. Bills
4. Bengals game 2
5. Ravens game 2

Yea I was pretty much having fun with you but I think you went a bit too far, yea I've been a bit vulgar but have tried to watch it and have respect for others but you my fruity friend put the disgust factor in it. There are under age / women members out here reading your garbage now.

Oh yea you've proved nothing (football related) once again! Why you hating on Train he hasn't even been out here to defend himself dumbass!

Latroll?? haa good one!

Sorry gang for splattering this thread!