PDA

View Full Version : crezdon butler will be william gay's replacement next year

connecticutsteel
03-19-2011, 06:52 PM
i think with the hiring of lake c. butler will be given the starting corner job next year he will know the system better than anyone else and he cant do any worse than gay did last year

Phenomenal TJ
03-19-2011, 07:02 PM
What's the reasoning on him knowing the system better than anyone else?

And no one's 'given' a starting job. ;)

connecticutsteel
03-19-2011, 07:21 PM
ok you're right poor choice of words on given he will be given more opportunities because of his knowledge of the system i just dont think the steelers will go outside of the team for a solution

LatrobePA
03-19-2011, 08:48 PM
My pet skunk could cover better than gay...

BlitzburghRockCity
03-20-2011, 12:00 AM
Butler will have a chance to compete, if the Steelers are smart they will take this offseason, training camp, and preseason, and make it an open competition in the secondary. Even thoug guys like Polamalu and Clark and Taylor (assuming he comes back) won't lose their jobs, all the reserve jobs should be up for grabs.

Butler will have as good a chance as any, and the coaches are pretty high on him. Don't count out Gay at this point, each year he's gotten a little bit better in coverage.

Zachintosh66
03-20-2011, 12:45 AM
at least their wont be high expectations to live up too...

jnes1216
03-20-2011, 01:38 PM
at least their wont be high expectations to live up too...

you're gonna knock a guy for a concussion? tough, you just knocked all the effort flower does every night. orpik,kennedy, staal, have a great shooting percentage....

Zachintosh66
03-20-2011, 02:33 PM
you're gonna knock a guy for a concussion? tough, you just knocked all the effort flower does every night. orpik,kennedy, staal, have a great shooting percentage....

um i was talking about Butler vs Gay, not hockey... u lost me bro

nuclearchihuahuas
03-23-2011, 10:53 AM
Butler will have a chance to compete, if the Steelers are smart they will take this offseason, training camp, and preseason, and make it an open competition in the secondary. Even thoug guys like Polamalu and Clark and Taylor (assuming he comes back) won't lose their jobs, all the reserve jobs should be up for grabs.

Butler will have as good a chance as any, and the coaches are pretty high on him. Don't count out Gay at this point, each year he's gotten a little bit better in coverage.

If Gay is the starter, I believe he will lose that position during the season unless his performance improves dramatically. You are right, he has gotten "a little bit better" every year, unfortunately he needs to get significantly better in a short time, or I think Butler will be given an opportunity. IMHO

LatrobePA
03-23-2011, 11:15 AM
Gay will be lucky to make the team...I personally think one of the young guys will step up!

Rampage
03-23-2011, 01:00 PM
BREAKING NEWS:

Steelers defensive backs coach Carnell Lake suggests that the team has found a new nickel corner. "[He] definitely can make an immediate impact on the field," suggested Lake, adding that, "his coverage skills are better than what the team has had at the nickel for the past several seasons." Lake believes that the team's newly acquired lawn chair will be a valuable asset to this team in the coming seasons. Here's to hoping he is correct and the Steelers can improve their pass defense.

Here's the newest addition posing for pictures on the Steelers' practice field at St. Vincent:

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/__igObx3f7lI/SzALNy8rkPI/AAAAAAAAAxQ/lonCEiKA7II/s320/0015-0507-2810-0842_junk_garbage_broken_lawn_and_beach_chair_phot o_photos_picture.jpg

Looks promising.

Black@Gold Forever32
03-23-2011, 01:54 PM
You mean 2012 since there will be no season in 2011......

Farrior Fan
03-29-2011, 12:19 AM
I really like Butler and was shocked he did not get more PT late in the year. He was a flat out super stud shutdown corner at Clemson. No one even threw his way his senior year. I would love to see him as the starter week 1.

BlitzburghRockCity
04-03-2011, 11:23 AM
If Gay is the starter, I believe he will lose that position during the season unless his performance improves dramatically. You are right, he has gotten "a little bit better" every year, unfortunately he needs to get significantly better in a short time, or I think Butler will be given an opportunity. IMHO

I've been saying all along that the Steelers need an open competition at Cornerback this year especially. Assuming Ike comes back we all know he's going to keep his starting job, but everything else should be up for grabs. I would love to see a training camp and preseason where everybody is fighting for the starting position and the nickle back. Butler would have as good a chance as anyone of getting it.

Callax
04-03-2011, 12:15 PM
Butler has better physical attributes, but the mental part of this game is the great equalizer. I would love for a great or better #2 corner to develop
But we need to draft CB's
SB proved that point emphatically.

jnes1216
04-03-2011, 02:29 PM
um i was talking about Butler vs Gay, not hockey... u lost me bro

haha sorry!! I posted in the wrong page, I had two windows open, so much for my multitasking skills.