PDA

View Full Version : Possible rule changes implemented in 2011?

BlitzburghRockCity
03-16-2011, 08:42 PM
Just watching the NFLN and they stated that the NFL's competition committee met today and will propose the following at the upcoming owners meetings next week:

All scoring plays are up for review by the replay booth
Kickoffs would be moved up to the 35 instead of the 30
Touchbacks would be brought out to the 25 instead of the 20
Expanding rules to protect defenseless players

Given the fact that there is no NFLPA right now, I would think they would have even less problems than normal implementing that last one especially. Fortunately not every NFL owner wants changes like this so we can only hope they don't go over board with this whole "protecting defenseless players" talk. We all know where that will lead...

andyg1984
03-16-2011, 08:44 PM
the whole touchback to the 25 and moving the ball up to the 35.. i dont really understand what the motive is ..

airbrake 1
03-16-2011, 09:09 PM
all 4 of those rule changes suck...just what we need more delays for more reviews and more penalty flags for legal hits...they should probably move the ball back to the 15 on touchbacks with the way teams pass the ball down the field nowadays

lloydfan4life
03-16-2011, 09:10 PM
the whole touchback to the 25 and moving the ball up to the 35.. i dont really understand what the motive is ..

They know the Steelers have a hard time kicking the ball off into the endzone and are trying to help us out a little. :lol:

Seriously... not sure I get the point of the kickoff & touchback changes either. :dunno:

Scorp
03-17-2011, 12:46 AM
I read all this on espn or nfl. They suck *** and balls. Pretty soon i won't want to watch football anymore. This really blows.

Real Deal Steel
03-17-2011, 01:42 AM
They are working really hard to ruin the game of football.

steeldoc
03-17-2011, 08:26 AM
I can't help but wonder if this business as usual approach by the NFL isn't an attempt to smoke the players union. In other words, nothing has changes for us, are you :stirpot::stirpot: feeling the heat yet?

SteelDad
03-17-2011, 09:13 AM
Obviously, most of you know my feelings from rants and writings from during the season regarding the Czar's "crackdown on violent hits" so this really isn't a surprise that they want to start suspending guys. It's BS and everyone knows it.

I really don't have a problem with the elimination of wedge blocking. I think it may actually make kick returns more entertaining in the sense that returners will need to pick spots better rather than just follow the wedge. It could also lead to some bigger hits from guys racing downfield w/o having to run into a wedge. Then again, they'll probably get suspended.

Replay on all scores? I get it, but then again I have been against the use of IR since the beginning anyway.

I'll play devil's advocate on the kickoffs being moved up and touchbacks going to the 25... This might actually make kick returns more exciting simply because there might be more of them. Teams will be more hesitant to just bang the ball through the end zone and may actually make kickers 'place' kickoffs which is a completely missing skill IMO in today's game. I can see guys with big legs popping it up higher now rather than longer too in order to let coverage get downfield.

BlitzburghRockCity
03-17-2011, 12:22 PM
The competition committee comes up with all kinds of rule changes to bring up at the owners meetings. Most times if they do end up implementing any changes it's only a couple per season because a lot of owners don't like to stray from what's worked for so long. You don't normally see them making multiple wholesale changes in just 1 offseason.

Moving the kickoffs up to the 35 wouldn't make that 5yd defensive penalty on scoring play seem quite as bad as it does now.

Rampage
03-17-2011, 12:36 PM
The rule changes for the kickoffs could be really good for the Steelers. Look at Billy Cundiff. The dude just boots the ball through the back of the endzone each and every time. He's now more likely to get touchbacks and give the opponent an extra five yards.

Slightly away from the discussion on the rules, but I would like to see a return of the "coffin corner" kick...

SteelDad
03-17-2011, 01:16 PM
The rule changes for the kickoffs could be really good for the Steelers. Look at Billy Cundiff. The dude just boots the ball through the back of the endzone each and every time. He's now more likely to get touchbacks and give the opponent an extra five yards.

Slightly away from the discussion on the rules, but I would like to see a return of the "coffin corner" kick...

Excellent point about the 'coffin corner' and that's what I mean about getting these guys to be more skillful. Tom Coughlin could relate to what we're saying. Placement kicking on punts and kickoffs has gone the way of the dodo bird.

BlitzburghRockCity
03-21-2011, 08:14 PM
Team president Art Rooney II isn't enamored with the proposal that owners are scheduled to vote on Tuesday concerning replay reviews following every touchdown. "I have to say I was surprised they even made this proposal because I think our replay rule is working fine," Rooney told the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette. "I wouldn't make any changes.

DanRooney
03-21-2011, 09:08 PM
This rule is great for the Steelers. I don't know what anyone is complain about. In fact, I'm still not sure our kicker can boot it into the endzone with the extra 5 yards. We should be arguing to move it to the 45 instead of the 35.

Rampage
03-22-2011, 12:33 PM
Team president Art Rooney II isn't enamored with the proposal that owners are scheduled to vote on Tuesday concerning replay reviews following every touchdown. "I have to say I was surprised they even made this proposal because I think our replay rule is working fine," Rooney told the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette. "I wouldn't make any changes.

This will pass easily. More reviews = more game breaks = more commercials. Remember when you could watch a game without commercials every 30 seconds? Sunday is like one giant, annoying popup.

coldrolled
03-22-2011, 01:05 PM
This will pass easily. More reviews = more game breaks = more commercials. Remember when you could watch a game without commercials every 30 seconds? Sunday is like one giant, annoying popup.

just absorb that nfl fans consumed 1.25 billion chicken wings on SB sunday. 13 billion chicken wings during the regular season... how do these ads translate? like how many beers were consumed.. especially bud light and miller light compared to others. i bet its staggering...

your right .... more ad time.. :thinking:

why dont the unions have ads.. like... people stand up, picket at work and see if we can help you get collective bargaining enforced at your business. let us stand for you... the people..... the union... make money like an NFL player.. :yellowthumb:

Rampage
03-22-2011, 01:08 PM
just absorb that nfl fans consumed 1.25 billion chicken wings on SB sunday. 13 billion chicken wings during the regular season... how do these ads translate? like how many beers were consumed.. especially bud light and miller light compared to others. i bet its staggering...

your right .... more ad time.. :thinking:

why dont the unions have ads.. like... people stand up, picket at work and see if we can help you get collective bargaining enforced at your business. let us stand for you... the people..... the union... make money like an NFL player.. :yellowthumb:

Bud and Miller, puhlease.

It's all about the Dogfish Head, breaux.

BlitzburghRockCity
03-22-2011, 02:47 PM
As of today per NFL.com... (http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d81ee38c1/article/kickoffs-moved-to-35yard-line-touchbacks-to-stay-at-20?module=HP_headlines)

NFL kickoffs will take place at the 35-yard line -- not the 30 -- under a modified kickoff proposal passed by the league's owners on Tuesday, according to a league source. The proposal keeps touchbacks at the 20 and continues to allow the two-man blocking wedge.

The league's competition committee originally had proposed moving touchbacks up to the 25, eliminating the blocking wedge and limiting coverage players from long run-ups. The league reduced the number of players allowed in a blocking wedge to two in 2009.
The owners tabled the vote on changing some of the language on defenseless receivers.

A proposal to allow the replay official to review all scoring plays at any time during games also passed, but the third challenge remains -- coaches can get a third challenge if they win two challenges.

SteelDad
03-22-2011, 08:49 PM
You guys could not be more accurate on the advertising issue. It's like they think we're complete idiots and don't know what they're up to with these 'added replay opportunities.'

--- Added 3/22/2011 at 06:49 PM ---

As of today per NFL.com... (http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d81ee38c1/article/kickoffs-moved-to-35yard-line-touchbacks-to-stay-at-20?module=HP_headlines)

NFL kickoffs will take place at the 35-yard line -- not the 30 -- under a modified kickoff proposal passed by the league's owners on Tuesday, according to a league source. The proposal keeps touchbacks at the 20 and continues to allow the two-man blocking wedge.

The league's competition committee originally had proposed moving touchbacks up to the 25, eliminating the blocking wedge and limiting coverage players from long run-ups. The league reduced the number of players allowed in a blocking wedge to two in 2009.
The owners tabled the vote on changing some of the language on defenseless receivers.

A proposal to allow the replay official to review all scoring plays at any time during games also passed, but the third challenge remains -- coaches can get a third challenge if they win two challenges.

I must say I'm somewhat surprised by the keeping of the 2-man wedge. With Czar Goodell's insistance on player safety I thought that would be a no-brainer. Weren't the young man from Rutgers and the player from Buffalo both hurt on kickoffs???

jpele
03-30-2011, 01:53 PM
I believe this move is intended to eliminate special teams from the game.

You work on getting the ball as deep into the end zone as possible and you're almost guaranteed a touchback. With that you won't need specialty players or as much time for special team practice.

Personally I'll miss the excitement of the return game. Roger has set out to destroy football and I must say he's doing an outstanding job.

BlitzburghRockCity
03-30-2011, 03:05 PM
If the league is all about offense..which it is.

If it's all about the passing game..which it is.

If it's all about scoring Touchdowns with big plays..which it is.

Then moving the kickoffs up to the 35 is dumbest thing ever. I mean seriously, you might as well not have any special teams players like jpele said. Hell even Jeff Reed could boot them into the endzone if you give him that 5 extra yards cushion. well ok maybe not Reed but ;)

Seriously, how many times do you get a big return out to say the 40 or 50 yd line and then you see the offense go for the big play score right away. You won't see that happen much anymore.

steelersbabex25
03-31-2011, 07:01 PM
Wait, time out. EXPANDING rules to protect defenseless players? Is that even possible..