PDA

View Full Version : Will Aaron Smith get his job back?

BlitzburghRockCity
03-14-2011, 12:38 AM
On the surface, probably the more obvious answer is yes. I mean it's Aaron Smith after all. The most underrated defensive lineman in the modern era of the NFL. Smith is big reason our defense has been so good against the run for all these years. I've been a fan of his since he came into the league. When you watch him just stand fast and hold his blockers, tying up 2 lineman on a regular basis and giving no ground at all, it's just amazing. He is extremely intelligent and can diagnose the play usually before it's even snapped. Lebeau thinks the world of him and with good reason.

Now, having said that, a certain Ziggy Hood has quietly put together a really good year. He had a great camp, but early on he did seem to get lost and manhandled. We all wondered if this kid was really going to pan out. Then by mid season he started finding his stride. He became a regular member of the opposing teams backfield and if you watch him he was improving each week in every phase of his game. Teams could no longer just stick a tight end on him, or let him alone with the RT and call it a day. I noticed that Hood was learning how to shed blocks, shoot the gap, use his power and speed to penetrate and blow up the play. He didn't have great stats, but as a defensive lineman in the 34, you never do. Clearly the Steelers defense had it's best statistical year vs the run in the modern era of football. Hood was as much a part of that success as Hampton, Keisel, or anyone else.

So I say, Smith getting his job back full time may not be a done deal. If I'm Lebeau, given Smith's injury history the last few years, I use a generous rotation of both guys right from the get go next season.

steelersbabex25
03-14-2011, 07:45 AM
Without question.

DIESELMAN
03-14-2011, 07:57 AM
I agree with using a rotation. It would serve 2 purposes, keep Smith healthy and give Hood valuable playing time. Now if it comes down to fighting for his starting position, Smith has the experience, determination, guts and the will to fight to bring it to anybody who wants his starting job.

Sent from my iPhone using TapaTalk

SnakeEyes43
03-14-2011, 08:46 AM
I agree 100% with the rotation of Smith and Hood. Smith should start, but Hood should be brought in and rotated frequently.

Also, isn't this Smiths last year on his current contract? I may be wrong, but I thought I read that somewhere.

LatrobePA
03-14-2011, 09:42 AM
Can he survive TC?? Sir tears a lot may be out B4 the "season" begins...

Rampage
03-14-2011, 12:10 PM
Honestly, I thought Hood did very well at the end of the season and into the playoffs. I do not think that Smith should just be a token starter at this point. Yes, he has been a valuable asset to this team in the past, but the question is, "what can you do for me now?"

With Smith and Keisel aging, I would prefer to see them rotate with one another and have Hood hold a full time position somewhere along the line. We need time to develop and let's face it: He's a first round draft pick and we all bitch about how this team keeps young players, especially on defense, on the bench.

There should be a training camp battle for these guys to determine who the starters are, and I think that the primary battle will be Smith versus Keisel, not Smith versus Hood.

LatrobePA
03-14-2011, 12:41 PM
I see Hood locking this up in TC...

andyg1984
03-14-2011, 01:38 PM
Honestly, I thought Hood did very well at the end of the season and into the playoffs. I do not think that Smith should just be a token starter at this point. Yes, he has been a valuable asset to this team in the past, but the question is, "what can you do for me now?"

With Smith and Keisel aging, I would prefer to see them rotate with one another and have Hood hold a full time position somewhere along the line. We need time to develop and let's face it: He's a first round draft pick and we all bitch about how this team keeps young players, especially on defense, on the bench.

There should be a training camp battle for these guys to determine who the starters are, and I think that the primary battle will be Smith versus Keisel, not Smith versus Hood.

interesting .. can we go back in time and trade Aaron Smith for the Raiders 2011 1st round pick?

Black@Gold Forever32
03-14-2011, 01:42 PM
no since 2012 he will be another year older........I'm banking on the 2011 season being wiped out......

harpo
03-14-2011, 03:58 PM
The Steelers should part ways with Aaron Smith. At this point in his career he's more of a liability because he's injured too much. IMHO, he should retire. He's not getting any younger (34, soon to be 35) and Hood seems to be thriving in the position that he was drafted for. I love the guy but it's time to cut him loose and move on.

LatrobePA
03-14-2011, 04:10 PM
The Steelers should part ways with Aaron Smith. At this point in his career he's more of a liability because he's injured too much. IMHO, he should retire. He's not getting any younger (34, soon to be 35) and Hood seems to be thriving in the position that he was drafted for. I love the guy but it's time to cut him loose and move on.

You nailed it...

Losing player(s) with potenial still pisses me off keeping a spot open for him...

andyg1984
03-14-2011, 04:33 PM
at the time keeping the spot was not that bad of an idea, i think they just cut the wrong guy..

shows you how fast things can change if people are asking for AS to reduce his role and in some cases peace out all together ..

LatrobePA
03-14-2011, 05:00 PM
at the time keeping the spot was not that bad of an idea, i think they just cut the wrong guy..

shows you how fast things can change if people are asking for AS to reduce his role and in some cases peace out all together ..

I think they (Tomlin) set unrealistic goals thinking he could come back thus cutting the wrong player loose..

K Train
03-14-2011, 06:01 PM
Hood hardly has a good body of work of the year....he was indeed a training camp hero but i would say he blew *** for 85% of the year...came on strong at the end, but sometimes thats not enough. It would really suck if we had 2 second half of the season players on that side with hood and woodley.

but the short answer is absolutely, its smiths job as long as he wants to play. im sure at this age he will be in a healthy rotation. Hood imo is much better suited for RDE though rather than the strong side where his liability against the run is exposed and his pass rushing moves are more negated than they would be on the right.

it would be amazing if we landed cameron heyward though for smiths replacement, or one of phil taylor or jarvis jenkins

steelersbabex25
03-14-2011, 06:21 PM
You are all crazy. Smith has had injury problems in the past, but when he's out there he's the most important player on the field. If our secondary doesn't get better this year (or whenever they play again) you better hope Smith is on the field and healthy, because him not being there makes it 100% more difficult for the defensive backs.

greg1964
03-15-2011, 01:31 PM
I love Arron Smith as much as the next Steeler fan, but concidering his health issues, (avaiable for only 30 of the last 70+ games) my starter on the d-line would be Keisle, Hampton, Hood with Smith, Hoke and Eason or a rookie, depending on who and when that rookie is drafted.

Maybe by Smith coming of the beach, he could last the whole season

steeldoc
03-15-2011, 10:07 PM
No need to get rid of Smith, his trade value is zilch, and he knows his role on this team. Ziggy will play a lot regardless who "starts", it really does not matter. They need big bodies with motors and rotate them freely.

Mr. Goosemahn
03-16-2011, 06:24 PM
I think Smith will wind up keeping the starting spot, but I firmly believe Hood will be given every opportunity to take it away from him. Hood really improved after his first three or four games, where it was evident that he wasn't quite up to speed (literally) with the rest of the players. He seemed to have slightly delayed reactions, things of that nature. The more snaps he got, the better he recognized and reacted, and near the end of the season the mental aspect of the game was finally catching up to his physical abilities.

That's why in training camp he was a beast, it's individual drills with simplified assignments. In those drills, the defensive lineman has to do one thing, and he was great at it. During the game, the player has to do multiple things, simultaneously, which is why he struggled early on.

Ultimately, I think Smith keeps the spot because of 1. his experience and pedigree and 2. Tomlin's love for veterans. Smith has yet to show he can't bounce back to his great level of play, and until he does, there's absolutely no reason to keep him from playing. There are other guys on the team who are visibly worse than they used to be. Clearest example, at least for me, is Hines Ward. I love the guy, but he consistently gets little to no separation on the defender and is slower/stiffer than ever. He still has great hands, great attitude, and is a good blocker, but it's clear that his best days are far behind him. Will he lose his starting spot? No, for the same reasons Smith won't. Based on his performance this year, Wallace is (unformally) our #1 WR , and Sanders' development this year could indicate how close he'll be to moving up to #2.

LatrobePA
03-16-2011, 06:52 PM
it would be amazing if we landed cameron heyward though for smiths replacement, or one of phil taylor or jarvis jenkins

I'd go for this! Living in c-bus and watching him play he appears to have Steelers written all over him..

jnes1216
03-19-2011, 02:20 AM
No need to get rid of Smith, his trade value is zilch, and he knows his role on this team. Ziggy will play a lot regardless who "starts", it really does not matter. They need big bodies with motors and rotate them freely.

perfectly said. And I personally wouldn't trade him anyways. He's a great example to the younger players on how your performance can elevate you to dominance in a revered niche. The denver donkeys are moving back to a 4-3 this year. How many other teams tinker with the 3-4 and abandon it due to the lack of inside presence? Dude's a stud and another great find from the scouting dept.

nuclearchihuahuas
03-19-2011, 10:39 AM
I think Smith's got one more year in him. Rotating him with Hood will increase his longevity and keep Hood sharp. Definitely need to draft a DE right after an o-lineman and corner