PDA

View Full Version : Is Mike Wallace a top 10 Wide Receiver?

BlitzburghRockCity
03-09-2011, 09:29 AM
ESPN recently did an article (http://espn.go.com/blog/nflnation/post/_/id/38230/is-mike-wallace-a-top-10-receiver) talking about the top 10 Wide Receivers in the NFL; the AFC North was the only division to not have any entries in that list. Obviously we all know how much the "experts" know, but having said that it does bring up an interesting thought; is he a top 10 WR yet? Perhaps they are correct on this one...

Is he is in the same league as guys like Larry Fitzgerald, Calvin Johnson, Andre Johnson, Steve Smith, Reggie Wayne, Desean Jackson, etc.?

Wallace finished 2010 with 60 catches for 1,267 yds. (a 21.0 ypc average) and 10 Touchdowns.
Larry Fitzgerald had 90 catches for 1,137 yds. (12.6 ydc average) and 6 Touchdowns.
Calvin Johnson racked up 77 catches for 1,120 yds. (14.5 ypc average) and 12 Touchdowns.
Desean Jackson had 47 catches for 1,056 yds. (22.5 ypc average) and 6 Touchdowns

Wallace's stats match up with some of the best in the league today, so one could say that he is indeed a top 10 player at his position if you go by stats alone. I would also add that he is one of the best big play threats in the game. When Wallace gets in a foot race with any defensive back in the league there is nobody that can catch him. His ability to make the circus catches in traffic has improved greatly as well. He's also shown the mentality and toughness to go across the middle and risk taking the big hit, as well as improving his route running. His "one trick pony" label given to him by Tomlin, and now "one and half trick pony" label should very well be gone. Wallace has taken that to heart and stepped up his game in 2010, and Arians used him in new ways this past year. We saw him in the Slant pattern (not enough though for my taste), and he's becoming a better blocker. All in all Wallace is the real deal, and the Steelers hit a home run when they drafted this kid 2 years ago.

Perhaps he's not a top 10 WR yet, but if he isn't he will be by 2011 in my opinion.

cmerrifield
03-09-2011, 09:59 AM
I dont think he is yet. Stats are great, but he needs to be a complete WR in the #2 or #1 slot for the Steelers. He came a long way this year and with one more offseason, I think he will be a complete receiver next year and be a top 10 guy.

Callax
03-09-2011, 10:27 AM
He's getting there
I believe he should be a Pro Bowler next year
He has improved each year and usually the 3rd year is a breakout year
predicting:
76 catches
1344 yards 17.6 avg
11 TD's

jpele
03-09-2011, 11:46 AM
Statistically he's top 10. On the field he shows great promise but I don't believe he's comfortable with the playbook yet and hasn't quite made a full mental connection with Ben.

Hopefully 2011 we'll see a break year for Mike Wallace

LatrobePA
03-09-2011, 12:05 PM
IMO he's still a "1 trick pony" but of course this could because of the **** poor play calling!

Mike Tomlin
03-09-2011, 12:41 PM
IMO he's still a "1 trick pony" but of course this could because of the **** poor play calling!
Plus he didn't get a chance to get comfortable with Ben while he was learning a new position because of the suspension. I don't think he's top ten yet because he's not as clutch as most of the other guys mentioned on that list, plus he's not getting as many oppurtunities as those guys. Now that I think about it ,those four games hurt our offense alot it stunted Sanders, Brown, and Wallaces growth. Week 6 for them was probably like training camp as far getting to know Ben and where he can put the ball compared to Batch and company.

UKSTEELER
03-09-2011, 01:18 PM
He's on the cusp, . . . .

but he might well stay on the cusp as long as Arians is pulling the strings!

this thread has served to remind me about "another year of Mr Airhead at the controls", . . . . f'in great!!:banging:

Zachintosh66
03-09-2011, 02:01 PM
not even close...

SteelDad
03-09-2011, 03:25 PM
He's knocking on the door must improve in a couple of areas such as route-running, getting off the bump n' run, and finding holes in the zones. No one knows how to get open against zones the way Hines does and Mike needs to learn that skill.

BlitzburghRockCity
03-09-2011, 04:19 PM
Against good DB's he did get covered up quite well at time.However without having access to the game film to see him on every play it would be hard to say for sure if his lack of catches in the post season especially would be due to Ben just not going after him or if he was really not open. I would guess it's a combination of the two.

He made great strides from 2009-2010, I expect him to take his game to another level in 2011.

Rampage
03-09-2011, 08:03 PM
No. He's got top three speed and he is proving to be valuable; however, he still has a way to go on his route running and his fighting for the ball. I believe he will eventually develop into a top receiving talent for reasons other than his speed, but he is not that good at this point.

Real Deal Steel
03-09-2011, 08:56 PM
He's on the cusp. I want to see him do a little more serious damage in the middle of the field. But I think his progressions so far are great. All things considered. I'm looking for him in my fantasy draft.

steelersbabex25
03-09-2011, 09:23 PM
Agree with all of the above. He's not even close to being in the top 10 right now, but give him a few years and I don't doubt that he'll be able to get there.

K Train
03-09-2011, 09:27 PM
he became a man midway through this year when ward got hurt against the pats....hes still got some work to do but he has elite speed, elite ball adjustment, good hands, and is a somewhat good route runner and a pretty bad blocker. works on routes and physicality both blocking and after the catch he'll be top 10 easy

BlitzburghRockCity
03-09-2011, 11:50 PM
I think it was the first game of the season, or close to the beginning of the season when he made that circus catch in the endzone. He kept his eye on the ball when it was tipped and came down with the TD. He's really improved ability to adjust to the ball which is so key in the NFL. While his speed is beyond sick you have to be able to come down with the jump ball and make the tough catches along with the easy ones that hit him in stride.

SteelCityKid5
03-10-2011, 12:06 PM
I dont think hes a top 10 but he could get there someday. It all depends on our offense and Ben. Ben, as we know, loves to make plays and is unpredictable. For example, Matt Schaub is in a sound offense. It 1 read 2 read 3 read and throw. Ben on the other hand, is 1 read 2 read maybe 3 but by then I think hes taking off outside the pocket making a play to whomever. I think if Wallace was in say Houston, Atlanta, NE, San Diego where they have pure passers hed have a better chance. Im not saying he cant be a top 10 one day. Im just saying hed have a better chance in those offenses.

connecticutsteel
03-10-2011, 01:50 PM
i dont think he's top ten yet but top 15 without a doubt

DanRooney
03-10-2011, 02:04 PM
Agree with all of the above. He's not even close to being in the top 10 right now, but give him a few years and I don't doubt that he'll be able to get there.

Not even close? smh. Here's how the analysts voted. Just outside the top 10.

1 Andre Johnson 1 2 1 1 6 1 4 6 66
2 Larry Fitzgerald 2 1 9 3 1 4 2 3 63
3 Roddy White 5 4 6 5 2 3 1 1 61
4 Calvin Johnson 3 3 2 2 4 2 5 9 58
5 Reggie Wayne 4 7 7 4 3 5 3 8 47
6 Greg Jennings 6 5 4 8 5 6 -- 4 39
7 Dwayne Bowe 9 6 3 7 -- -- 7 5 29
8 DeSean Jackson 7 8 8 6 10 7 6 -- 25
9 Brandon Lloyd -- 9 5 10 -- 8 -- 2 21
10 Brandon Marshall 8 -- -- -- 8 9 9 -- 10
11 Wes Welker -- -- -- -- 7 -- 8 -- 7
12 Mike Wallace 10 -- -- 9 -- -- -- 7 7
13 Santonio Holmes -- 10 -- -- 9 -- -- -- 3
14 Vincent Jackson -- -- 10 -- -- -- 10 -- 2
15 Miles Austin -- -- -- -- -- 10 -- -- 1
15 Marques Colston -- -- -- -- -- -- -- 10 1

http://espn.go.com/blog/nfcwest/post/_/id/33997/power-rankings-top-10-nfl-receivers

K Train
03-10-2011, 02:12 PM
brandon loyd is a journeyman at best with a career year in an offense that refused to run the ball...but yeah top 10 lol

Mike Tomlin
03-10-2011, 02:26 PM
Dwayne Bowe in the top ten and Wes Welker at 11?

DanRooney
03-10-2011, 02:48 PM
brandon loyd is a journeyman at best with a career year in an offense that refused to run the ball...but yeah top 10 lol

Lloyd was an absolute beast this year when finally given a chance to play and getting the ball thrown to him. You can't blame his lack of productivity with Jason Campbell under center in that embarrassment of a franchise.

K Train
03-10-2011, 07:16 PM
Lloyd was an absolute beast in fantasy football this year when finally given a chance to play and getting the ball thrown to him. You can't blame his lack of productivity with Jason Campbell under center in that embarrassment of a franchise.

fixed it for you

he did not take over games, he was not a game changer....he just got a ton of looks due to the rest of their ineffectiveness, royals ability to disappear, and mcdaniels love for throwing the ball. not to mention the broncos were terrible and played alot of catchup...theres a reason for that second overall pick

no way he comes close to those numbers again this year

also was he even a redskin? im thinking about the brandon lloyd good for a circus catch highlight reel in SF and Chicago (with orton, still pretty less than average). either way...journey man, not beast....i guess its a fine line

Scorp
03-10-2011, 08:24 PM
You all pretty much nailed it. Give him a couple to few seasons and he is well on his way. No questions asked.

andyg1984
03-10-2011, 08:48 PM
yeah, he is going to be top ten for sure and it is not far away at all .. if you start putting the list together I can't really think of too many guys that are as big of matchup problems as he is.. all you need to do is watch one or two plays to know he is special.. also, marshall is waaay better than #10 ..

hakeem nicks and dez both eventually find that list too imo ..

DanRooney
03-10-2011, 09:23 PM
fixed it for you

he did not take over games, he was not a game changer....he just got a ton of looks due to the rest of their ineffectiveness, royals ability to disappear, and mcdaniels love for throwing the ball. not to mention the broncos were terrible and played alot of catchup...theres a reason for that second overall pick

no way he comes close to those numbers again this year

also was he even a redskin? im thinking about the brandon lloyd good for a circus catch highlight reel in SF and Chicago (with orton, still pretty less than average). either way...journey man, not beast....i guess its a fine line

He won't make those numbers this year because Orton is no longer the quarterback and Tebow will try to rush for more than 2,000 yards.

K Train
03-10-2011, 11:02 PM
yeah cause orton is way more than an average game manager

Blazedby92
03-11-2011, 04:40 AM
Lloyd a top ten receiver LMFAO, WOW,you really did type that make sure your auto correct is on next time cause that might be your best chance of voicing a legit opinion, I don't even think he can crack top 15 outside of last year,COM'N MAN

DanRooney
03-11-2011, 10:00 AM
Lloyd a top ten receiver LMFAO, WOW,you really did type that make sure your auto correct is on next time cause that might be your best chance of voicing a legit opinion, I don't even think he can crack top 15 outside of last year,COM'N MAN

1. I didn't make that list
2. 1,448 yards, 11 TDs, and 18.8 YPC.

--- Added 3/11/2011 at 08:00 AM ---

yeah cause orton is way more than an average game manager

Lloyd's numbers took a dive with Tebow at QB. Even when they were playing from behind.

K Train
03-11-2011, 01:11 PM
well while orton is mediocre....tebow is terrible and cant throw for ****

Steel Trap86
03-12-2011, 09:49 AM
Right now no! but by next season I say he will be a top 10

jnes1216
03-19-2011, 02:27 AM
Wallace is top ten for sure. I'm a homer, but he doesn't drop the deep ball and everytime he touches it -- look out. He needs help in becoming an all around WR but who doesn't. I love the guy and hope he does great things.. You want to fault the guy for BA;s shortcomings?? No way, his head is on straight and he has the desire, all he need's is the coaching.

Farrior Fan
03-29-2011, 01:13 AM
I think he is top 10. No doubt in my mind he is better than Brandon Marshall. Welker is on the downside of his career. 17 has the heart and mind of a champion. Throw it deeeep Ben.

Of course if you worry about who ranks who above 17 just remember that ESPN is the same "sports media outlet" that ranked THE REDSKINS AND 49ers ahead of the Steelers before last year. http://espn.go.com/nfl/powerrankings/_/year/2010/week/1 :lol::willybs: