PDA

View Full Version : How much more does Moore have in the tank?

BlitzburghRockCity
03-06-2011, 12:36 PM
Does Mewelde make the team in 2011? Do you think he's got enough left in the tank to contribute next year or do the Steelers bring in another back, making Mendenhall & Redman the 1-2 punch and use a draft pick or free agent as a change of pace?

Moore proved in 2010 that he can still be a factor, especially late in the year and in the playoffs. He is still as good as anyone in the league in blitz pickup and has a knack of getting the first down on those toss sweeps, swing passes, or dump offs in the flat. He is a free agent and won't garner much in the way of offers from other teams, atleast not for big money. As far as I know he's pretty happy in Pittsburgh and wants to return in the future. So he won't cost much to bring him back but is it time to cut the ties, or atleast decrease his role to make way for Redman?

I really think Redman is up to the challenge next year. Up to this point Moore has been the one to spell Mendenhall at various times in the game, but I think Redman is up for the task and has earned the chance to take over that role. Mendenhall is the complete package with speed, power, agility, and quickness all rolled up into one. Redman has the power and the ability to find the small gap and get that first down. I think he could excel with more playing time.

steelersbabex25
03-06-2011, 12:46 PM
A. Clever title. B. I've always liked MeMo. He's always where he's supposed to be and I can recall several times when he's gotten Ben out of some sticky situations. That being said, of course he isn't that desired by any teams in the NFL. Will the Steelers pay a lot to keep him? No. But I doubt that any other team would pay much more to acquire him. I think he retires a Steeler.

jpele
03-06-2011, 01:07 PM
Well Moore is only 29 without the heavy use, he's a great role player ( as long as BA isn't calling delayed draw plays ) .

I'd like to see him return but a lot will depend on Redman ,Dwyer and the draft.

Rampage
03-06-2011, 01:09 PM
I like Moore and I consider him one of the reasons why this team got to the Super Bowl against the Cardinals. That said, it may be time to move on. Mendenhall is beginning to show promising signs with his blocking/catching and Redman is a quality short yardage back. I would not mind seeing what Dwyer has to offer as a change of pace and I liked what I saw with his limited play this season. I think this team is deep at RB and Moore may not be the asset he once was.

SteelDad
03-06-2011, 01:21 PM
It's a good question and one I know we discussed briefly on the podcast (shameless plug) a couple of times. I agree with Rampage that he was a huge part of the run to SB XLIII and probably doesn't get the credit he deserves for that. He and Red seem to be different types of backs although Red showed some flash catching the ball especially against the Ravens. I was thinking that MeMo was more banged up than we thought because I really didn't think he got the touches he should have. Depending on the draft and FA, he could be a welcome returnee.

andyg1984
03-06-2011, 01:53 PM
Moore has his moments, but he is just so unexplosive .. i would rather have a guy that can come in and make plays vs just not making mistakes ..

DanRooney
03-06-2011, 02:17 PM
The real question is do we bring in a kicker in the offseason? Suisham was wretched in the playoffs. That 52 yard field goal in the SB was a dumb decision by Tomlin, but it wasn't even close. I'm not sure if he would have hit a 30 yarder with that kick.

steeldoc
03-06-2011, 02:19 PM
I like the guy, he's smart (actually graduated with a business degree from Tulane), well prepared, and pretty tough for a small guy. I bet Tomlin wants him around.

BlitzburghRockCity
03-06-2011, 03:17 PM
Tomlin does indeed like Memo alot, and I agree with the rest of you that he was a big reason we got to the Super Bowl last year. He's been a frills type of guy since he came here. He's a team player, keeps his mouth shut, and does his job everytime he goes onto the field.

The only reason that I would say he doesn't come back is that I think perhaps Redman is suffering a bit being used only as a short yardage back. He is very good at it but I don't think we've tapped his full potential yet. I would hate to see him leave at some point and become a big time player somewhere else, just because Moore is still here. Nobody knows for sure if that is/would be the case though. There's a lot of things to consider with Redman and Moore this coming year in terms of who will get the main job of spelling Mendenhall. All in all I would just like to see Redman get that backup job and hold onto it.

Deviouz1
03-06-2011, 03:29 PM
Moore has his moments, but he is just so unexplosive .. i would rather have a guy that can come in and make plays vs just not making mistakes ..

even though mistakes are what cost us the SB? give me slow and steady over super fast and mistake riddled.

SteelDad
03-06-2011, 04:40 PM

I totally understand what you're saying. I can't remember the time we had a guy that was a true home run hitter out of the backfield except for maybe FWP and he even he got caught a few times.

I like the guy, he's smart (actually graduated with a business degree from Tulane), well prepared, and pretty tough for a small guy. I bet Tomlin wants him around.

I think you're on to something. If Tomlin is guilty of anything at times, it's maybe being too close with some veterans. All depends on $$$, but he will most likely be back at least heading into Camp.

Phenomenal TJ
03-06-2011, 04:58 PM
I've always liked Moore as well, and I know Mike Tomlin does as well, because he's the perfect role player that doesn't get into off field trouble. Don't really have the contract info handy at the moment, but my guess is that it all boils down to how much it would cost to keep him vs giving Dwyer a chance/checking out free agents.

greg1964
03-06-2011, 05:17 PM
I think Moore will be resigned becasue of some of the reason mentioned above. But the real question is who would you want to have for two-three weeks IF something was to happen to Mendenhall. Would you (Ben) feel safe on 3rd and long with Redman or Dwyer. I know they do with Moore back there.

Conclusion: I think the Steelers resign him bring him to camp and depending on how Dwyer progressed Moore make the team or is a last cut.

andyg1984
03-06-2011, 05:47 PM
Shane Vereen would be a good fit imo

DIESELMAN
03-07-2011, 07:16 AM
I'd like to see MM stick around for a few more years. Mendenhall is coming into his own and will be our featured RB for a while. We need to give Redman more carries, not just goal line duties. Until Dwyer corrects his weight issues and work ethic, he will be in jeopardy of not making the team every year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cmerrifield
03-07-2011, 08:40 AM
I am ok with Moore, but I am beginning to think Mendy would be a better third down back because he can catch and block as well as Moore, but he is faster. So if he gets the ball out in the flat, Mendy has a better chance of picking up more yards. We just need either Redman or Dwyer to pick up more carries if Mendy is going to be in there on third down.

Stlrs4Life
03-07-2011, 09:54 AM
I also believe Redman is ready to take over for Moore.

LatrobePA
03-07-2011, 09:58 AM
If Redman and Dwyer have anything to say about, he's running on E!!

tburg68
03-07-2011, 09:28 PM
Moore needs to be gone. If he is on the team, BA will use him as the backup. The team is better with Redman getting a third of the carries and Mendy working third down. Dwyer needs to get some carries also.

Thanks for the memories Mewelde.

86WARD
03-07-2011, 11:30 PM
Last season he was alright. 2009, he hurt the team way more than helped them. It wasn't even close...he was a huge liability on the field in 09.

SteelerDave74
03-08-2011, 10:31 AM
even though mistakes are what cost us the SB? give me slow and steady over super fast and mistake riddled.

:plus1: I agree. I've always enjoyed the play of MeMo.

andyg1984
03-08-2011, 01:40 PM
i dont understand - who is super-fast and mistake riddled? ..ben had the mistakes that cost us.. we lost the super bowl because we got outscored by a better offense.. memo is replacable and does not increase our chances of winning ..

what is there to enjoy about memo? the unexplosiveness? all the garbage yards he gets vs nickel D's?

steelersbabex25
03-08-2011, 03:45 PM
what is there to enjoy about memo? the unexplosiveness? all the garbage yards he gets vs nickel D's?

The blocks that he's made to open up holes? The times where he's the only guy on the field who knows what he's doing? The uncountable situations when he's been the dump off for Ben and picked up 15 yards and a first down?

Yeah, you're right. I hate guys like that.

andyg1984
03-08-2011, 06:24 PM
i guess we disagree on what a RB is .. i prefer ones that can run the ball vs whatever the PC term is for guys like moore ..

to your points more specifically ..if he could play FB, i would buy into him way more as a great blocker.. yea, he gets some garbage yards, but i think a guy with a burst could get those and more so that is not really a value driver.. the fact that he "knows what he is doing" is definitely not a sustainable advantage btw ..

steelersbabex25
03-08-2011, 07:10 PM
i guess we disagree on what a RB is .. i prefer ones that can run the ball vs whatever the PC term is for guys like moore ..

to your points more specifically ..if he could play FB, i would buy into him way more as a great blocker.. yea, he gets some garbage yards, but i think a guy with a burst could get those and more so that is not really a value driver.. the fact that he "knows what he is doing" is definitely not a sustainable advantage btw ..

Well yeah, as a RB he's not all that great. I tend to think of Moore as just a check down guy, and I think he does well in that role.

And a having a guy who's always where he needs to be and knows what he's doing is definitely an advantage, that way not every receiver is running around without a clue, see: last drive of the superbowl.

andyg1984
03-08-2011, 08:44 PM
but that is what he is - a RB - he should be able to actually run the ball imo .. BU TE's can block and catch in the same capacity

WR's will learn where to be on the field - everyone does or they end up not in the NFL .. that is no reason to keep memo on the team imo ..

steelersbabex25
03-08-2011, 08:46 PM
but that is what he is - a RB - he should be able to actually run the ball imo .. BU TE's can block and catch in the same capacity

WR's will learn where to be on the field - everyone does or they end up not in the NFL .. that is no reason to keep memo on the team imo ..

I disagree.