PDA

View Full Version : Cowher to announce retirement tomorrow, sources say

Friday133
01-04-2007, 07:32 PM
Cowher to announce retirement tomorrow, sources say

Thursday, January 04, 2007
By Gerry Dulac and Ed Bouchette, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

The Steelers have a called a news conference for 1 p.m. tomorrow to announce that Bill Cowher will retire after 15 seasons, sources have told the Post-Gazette.

Cowher, 49, will attend the news conference to announce his decision.

Cowher called Steelers chairman Dan Rooney this afternoon and said he did not want to wait any longer to announce his decision.

Cowher was going to wait until Monday, but he did not want to delay the Steelers' search for his successor.

Cowher drove to Raleigh, N.C., Tuesday after meeting with Dan Rooney and president Art Rooney II. He has one year remaining on his contract, but he has told friends and associates he wants to spend more time with his family.

Meantime, offensive coordinator Ken Whisenhunt, one of the leading candidates to replace Cowher, interviewed this morning with the Atlanta Falcons and owner Arthur Blank.

Post-Gazette (http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/07004/751251-100.stm)

K Train
01-04-2007, 07:34 PM
**** cowher at this point, every second he delays is another second he ****s us over.

BlacknGold Bleeder
01-04-2007, 07:36 PM
If this happens and he does go out the door, best of luck !! :tt02:
Now as the rumors are flying what if he takes the job coaching Miami or any other team next year how does everyone feel about that?? IMO then he's a real a$$hole, he needs to take a few years off .

House of Steel
01-04-2007, 07:36 PM
This is it!!!! Whiz is going to get the job you watch.

K Train
01-04-2007, 07:37 PM
Whiz will coach in atlanta, hes from atlanta and played for atlanta....bye whiz

House of Steel
01-04-2007, 07:39 PM
You think it will be outsider, Kyle?

PITT23
01-04-2007, 07:39 PM
If he does go, at least he's not dragging it out.

If he stays, hopefully it involves getting the fire back in his eyes.

SteelersfaninPhilly
01-04-2007, 07:41 PM
See ya Cowher, enjoy your next coaching gig. Do not let the door hit you in the *** on the way out.

Koopa
01-04-2007, 07:42 PM
wow, i don't really know how to feel lol, i've been calling for cowher's head since 2001 but now that he's actually leaving i kinda really don't want him to lol......i think i'm really gonna miss him lol

i don't know if i really want whiz as a head coach, i want a defensive minded coach, and i think whiz is going home to hotlanta where he will fail cause vick sucks

K Train
01-04-2007, 07:44 PM
At this point grimm is a possiblity still, but i think they might get someone we dont know very much about.....ARRRG!!!! WHO THE **** KNOWS IM TIRED OF THINKING ABOUT IT!!!!

BlacknGold Bleeder
01-04-2007, 07:47 PM
No to whiz , look at our other OC that have gone on to head coach, they are all BAD !!

Koopa
01-04-2007, 07:47 PM
lol, whoever we get is getting a great team that will make it look like cowher never left

Koopa
01-04-2007, 07:48 PM
No to whiz , look at our other OC that have gone on to head coach, they are all BAD !!

but they didn't have the team the steelers are

K Train
01-04-2007, 07:49 PM
whoever we get has to be great right? everyone wants this job....talk about a good front office and job stability.

AZ_Steeler
01-04-2007, 07:55 PM
I honestly didn't think he would retire... oh well. I twill be the end of one era and the begining of new one!

Koopa
01-04-2007, 07:58 PM
or maybe we hire a lame duck coach and then in 08 bring back cowher lol

BlitzburghRockCity
01-04-2007, 08:04 PM
See, I told ya ! ;)

I just saw on NFLN as well from adam schefter confirming this news.

Ambridge
01-04-2007, 08:05 PM
If this happens and he does go out the door, best of luck !! :tt02:
Now as the rumors are flying what if he takes the job coaching Miami or any other team next year how does everyone feel about that?? IMO then he's a real a$$hole, he needs to take a few years off .

If he stays out a year or two then decides come back elsewhere then I have no problem with that and will have great memories and gratitude for Bill Cowher.......but if he steps down tomorrow and then goes to be head coach in Miami or Atlanta in the next week or two then I agree that he's a real ******* and then I wish upon him what happens to most Steeler players when they go elsewhere chasing more money.

Ambridge
01-04-2007, 08:07 PM
I honestly didn't think he would retire... oh well. I twill be the end of one era and the begining of new one!

Definately a milestone in Steeler history.

Koopa
01-04-2007, 08:08 PM
he's still under contract though so i doubt he'll be that ****ed up and say he's gonna retire and then go to the dolphins or falcons, he'll be another sabin......if he takes one year off i won't care what he does, i hope the panthers suck next year and they fire fox and they hire cowher lol

BlitzburghRockCity
01-04-2007, 08:08 PM
If he stays out a year or two then decides come back elsewhere then I have no problem with that and will have great memories and gratitude for Bill Cowher.......but if he steps down tomorrow and then goes to be head coach in Miami or Atlanta in the next week or two then I agree that he's a real ******* and then I wish upon him what happens to most Steeler players when they go elsewhere chasing more money.

I can't imagine him doing that, but you're right, if he pulls that stunt I will have lost alot of respect for him !

K Train
01-04-2007, 08:09 PM
if he leaves and coached in miami or atlanta in the next week he would have his house burned down

Koopa
01-04-2007, 08:10 PM
i actually gained respect for him for now letting this drag on and just getting it over with, i really will miss him because now i can't bash someone for no reason and i'm gonna miss that damn chin lol.......best of luck to ya cowher

PITT23
01-04-2007, 08:10 PM
I was under the assumption that he could only coach at another team if we "trade" him to somewhere, fire him, or something like that. he's not allowed to retire and go to another NFL team unless he takes a 1 season break.

Ambridge
01-04-2007, 08:12 PM
he's still under contract though so i doubt he'll be that ****ed up and say he's gonna retire and then go to the dolphins or falcons, he'll be another sabin......if he takes one year off i won't care what he does, i hope the panthers suck next year and they fire fox and they hire cowher lol

I'm sure Cowher couldn't resist if the Carolina job were to drop in his lap.

blackNgold22
01-04-2007, 08:12 PM
I was under the assumption that he could only coach at another team if we "trade" him to somewhere, fire him, or something like that. he's not allowed to retire and go to another NFL team unless he takes a 1 season break.

I thought the same thing too...I think they mentioned that on ESPN or something.

SteelersfaninPhilly
01-04-2007, 08:13 PM

Fins ask Steelers permisson to speak to cowher. Steelers grant permisson. Fins hire Cowher. Steelers recieve draft picks from Fins. It can happen. Has happened before see gruden.

Koopa
01-04-2007, 08:15 PM
how good are the draft picks?? lol

PITT23
01-04-2007, 08:15 PM
It's over:

http://www.steeleraddicts.com/forum/showthread.php?p=49032#post49032

K Train
01-04-2007, 08:16 PM
same thing with edwards

Ambridge
01-04-2007, 08:17 PM

I believe if I heard correctly that if he wanted to coach elsewhere while he is still under contract with the Steelers that the team getting him would have to compensate the Steelers with draft picks.......#1 draft picks if I'm correct along with cash comp. as well.

When Jon Gruden left Oakland and went to Tampa I believe the Raiders got two #1 draft picks in return.

SteelersfaninPhilly
01-04-2007, 08:25 PM
I thought the NFL no longer allows cash compensation between teams for letting a coach out of his contract to jump to another team.

Ambridge
01-04-2007, 08:56 PM
I thought the NFL no longer allows cash compensation between teams for letting a coach out of his contract to jump to another team.

That could be the new policy in the league but I think when the Jon Gruden swap went down Tampa had to cash compensate Oakland 8 million dollars.

BlitzburghRockCity
01-04-2007, 09:36 PM
Ive heard in recent days on NFLN that the Steelers have the option to exercise their right to Bill's contract if/when he comes back to coaching after he leaves. However when he steps down I would imagine the team will just buy out the last year of his deal and then be done with it.