PDA

View Full Version : Steelers place 1st round restricted tender on Colon

BlitzburghRockCity
03-01-2011, 03:45 PM
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d81e8d1f5/article/steelers-place-firstround-restricted-tender-on-ot-colon?utm_medium=twitter&utm_source=twitterfeed

The Pittsburgh Steelers (http://www.nfl.com/teams/pittsburghsteelers/profile?team=PIT) placed a first-round restricted tender on offensive tackle Willie Colon (http://www.nfl.com/players/williecolon/profile?id=COL747402) on Tuesday, according to a league source.

Colon, who missed the entire 2010 season because of a torn Achilles' tendon he sustained during training camp, could be an unrestricted free agent pending new labor rules once the NFL and the players union agree on a new collective bargaining agreement.
Colon, a five-year pro, started every game from 2007 to 2009 for the Steelers.

BlitzburghRockCity
03-01-2011, 04:31 PM
So this tells us that one of several things:

-Flozell is not coming back or they aren't sure if he is yet and they need some insurance at RT for 2011.
-Flozell is coming back but they want to secure Colon just to be safe either way. The 2 will fight it out in training camp for the starting job.
-They think Colon is the future for them so they want to make sure they make a good effort to keep him around
-Perhaps they want him around for a big throw down battle in camp between a high draft pick, Flozell, and Colon.

We'll see how this unfolds as we get more information on it.

Rampage
03-01-2011, 04:33 PM
So is this one of those deals where the Steelers have the right to match an offer, and if they cannot, they receive a 1st round pick from the team that signs Colon?

BlitzburghRockCity
03-01-2011, 04:47 PM
I believe so yes, and certainly nobody is going to give up a 1st round pick for Colon; especially coming off a season where he spent the duration on IR.

SteelDad
03-01-2011, 04:56 PM
So this tells us that one of several things:

-Flozell is not coming back or they aren't sure if he is yet and they need some insurance at RT for 2011.
-Flozell is coming back but they want to secure Colon just to be safe either way. The 2 will fight it out in training camp for the starting job.
-They think Colon is the future for them so they want to make sure they make a good effort to keep him around
-Perhaps they want him around for a big throw down battle in camp between a high draft pick, Flozell, and Colon.

We'll see how this unfolds as we get more information on it.

Agree on all points there....

I believe so yes, and certainly nobody is going to give up a 1st round pick for Colon; especially coming off a season where he spent the duration on IR.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but don't the Steelers then have to pay Colon a certain amount due to the fact they placed the 1st round tender on him? Seems like coming off the injury, they could have gotten away with a 2nd or even 3rd round tender, but I get the point...

Rampage
03-01-2011, 05:00 PM

Hopefully someone sees the value in him and pulls the trigger.

Could you imagine two 1st rounders for this team? Address secondary and offensive line in one shot.

cmerrifield
03-01-2011, 05:38 PM
This will mean nothing with a new CBA. There is no way the players agree to a deal where they are restricted this long. The only way this matters is if Colon signs it, which he wont. If they really wanted Colon, they would have started negotiations with him. I still think Colon will walk and we will either have Flo, or an early draft pick as our starting RT.

SnakeEyes43
03-01-2011, 06:32 PM
I'm fine with this move overall I guess, we'll have to see how it pans out. Now just work out a deal with Ike please....

coldrolled
03-01-2011, 07:31 PM
heres the list for the JETS... We have no problems.....

New York Jets

Kellen Clemens, QB (5); Original Round (3rd), $1.325M (est.)
Drew Coleman, CB (5); Original Round (6th), $
Antonio Cromartie, CB (5); First- and Third-Round*, $3.542M
Nick Folk, K (4); Original Round (6th)
Santonio Holmes, WR (5); First- and Third-Round*, $3.542M
James Ihedigbo, S (5); Right of First Refusal
Brad Smith, WR (5); Second-Round
Eric Smith, S (5); Original Round (3rd)
Robert Turner, OT (3); Right of First Refusal, $1.2M

Look at holmes hes worth a 1st and thrid this year...

HUNT4SEVEN
03-01-2011, 07:37 PM
Adam S said that Flozell is due 5 million next year so either he takes a pay cut or we keep Willie for one more year

jpele
03-01-2011, 09:41 PM
Steelers' tackle Willie Colon received a one-year contract tender as a restricted free-agent, his agent confirmed today.

It's the third-straight year Colon has been given a one-year tender offer as an restricted free-agent.

Colon would enter his sixth season in the NFL. Until last year, players could become unrestricted free-agents after four years of service. Starting last year under new rules in the final year of the collective bargaining agreement players could not become unrestricted free agents until after their sixth season.

The rules are likely to change again when a new CBA is negotiated that would make the team's tender offer null and void.

The offer made to Colon was similar to one the Steelers made last year, requiring a team that might sign Colon to give the Steelers a first-round draft pick in return. Colon received $2,198,000 for the 2010 season but was lost for all of it after rupturing his Achilles heel in June.

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/11060/1128905-100.stm#ixzz1FP09UMbP

DanRooney
03-01-2011, 10:28 PM
Interesting...

tburg68
03-01-2011, 10:31 PM
Saw a tweet from Adam Shefter today that said Flozell was an expected cut by the Steelers. With this tender, seems to me that Colon is the possible plan at RT.

The O Line that would make me really happy next year is:

LT-Starks, LG-Keamatou, C-Pouncey, RG-Pouncey, RT-Colon

DanRooney
03-02-2011, 12:07 AM
I kind of liked Flozell at RT. I was hoping the line would like like:

LT-Stars, LG-Kemoeatu, C-Pouncey, RG-Colon, RT-Flozell

I wouldn't be surprised if we moved up to grab Pouncey 2 to eventually replace Kemoeatu. He had such a terrible season this year and is **** poor in pass protection.

JensK
03-02-2011, 04:37 AM
They have not been playing Colon at guard his first 5 years and I highly doubt they'll start doing it now. Both the Steelers and Colon seems to believe that Colon is a very good tackle, so that is where they'll play him.

greg1964
03-02-2011, 08:37 AM
My idea staring five would be:

Starks, Foster, Pouncey, Colon and 1st Round draft pick.

BlitzburghRockCity
03-03-2011, 02:58 PM
correct, if Colon does come back then he'll be a tackle. Quite honeslty I'm ok with Foster at Guard. I really like the way he plays and overall he had a real good year.

Remember too that just because he was he was given that restriction doesn't mean the Steelers have to keep him or will definitely bring him back. Right now it's just for insurance purposes so they aren't left high and dry in case Flozell doesn't come back and depending on how the draft goes.

bigplaysteel
03-06-2011, 08:00 AM
correct, if Colon does come back then he'll be a tackle. Quite honeslty I'm ok with Foster at Guard. I really like the way he plays and overall he had a real good year.

Remember too that just because he was he was given that restriction doesn't mean the Steelers have to keep him or will definitely bring him back. Right now it's just for insurance purposes so they aren't left high and dry in case Flozell doesn't come back and depending on how the draft goes.

Correct?? Who might that be?

I'm not sure how that contract stuff works, but I think you are correct that signing Colon is an insurance measure. If his play is not up to standards [injury effect] he can simply be released. [Let someone else pay him] Is this correct?

But what is ironic here, or actually funny is the much maligned oft heavily criticized O-line is now overloaded with options. [mostly positive]

There have been numerous O-line threads lately. Consensus in most of the posts has been Colon was expendable. Consensus has been a 1st rd pick should be used on the O-Line. Consensus has been Foster and Adams did a darn good job. [Hard to argue with that]. Consensus is Adams can be resigned if necessary and the new 1st rd future star can have time to develop etc.[sounds good I suppose]. Add to this Max Starks should be 100%. A well conditioned [big if] Starks would probably make All-Pro this year. None of this stuff sounds negative---does it?

Anyway, I think I already posted that the Steelers should draft D at least three of the first five picks this year. Oh, of course the best athlete available. Another Kendrell Bell, or even better yet another James Farrior would be nice.

nuclearchihuahuas
03-06-2011, 09:56 AM
Is everyone really impressed with Starks? I have seen no mention of replacing him in any of the discussions. I like Foster as a starting guard, but I think drafting one OT and acquiring another OT through free agency would be the best way to go. I would like to see someone other that Starks on the left. Hopefully, Colon doesn't have the down year after recovering from the achilles injury but he is better than Starks IMHO. In a 'do anything you want kind of world' I would move both Starks and Colon inside and get new talent at both Tackles. I know, there is no chance that would happen in one year but maybe get on OT this year and one next year.

The Steelers need to start trading players for draft picks. This is a great defensive draft and a decent O-line draft year. Having multiple picks now would be great. Someone else mentioned it and I have to agree. I hope someone picks up Colon for a 1st round draft pick.