PDA

View Full Version : Taylor loss could cripple Steelers

jpele
02-28-2011, 12:17 PM
"With the size of the receivers in this league, you need an intimidator in the secondary. Yes, the media loves interceptions, and Taylor has hands like he hits like a rock but his ability to punish the opponent's top receiver is what he brings to the table. If you look at the cornerbacks in this year's draft, I dare anyone to find me someone that can step in and replace Taylor, especially right away, considering where the Steelers will pick in the first round (No. 31 overall)."

More here (http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_724754.html)

I've been saying this for years,people tend to get on Ike because he don't make the int's but there's a lot more to being a CB. Hell if he could catch the ball ,he'd be a WR.

SteelDad
02-28-2011, 12:24 PM
No doubt losing him would be a huge blow to the secondary. I think what many fans get upset at more than anything with Ike is how far he plays off the receivers. Not always his fault because of scheme or call, but I can live without the INT's if he is covering up their #1 guy.

LatrobePA
02-28-2011, 12:28 PM
I've always talked crap on him but the truth is we're screwed w/out him!

andyg1984
02-28-2011, 12:41 PM
im all for ike and i hope he retires a steeler ..

TampaSteelGirl
02-28-2011, 01:01 PM
He's saying on facebook that "he's blessed and living the dream" so i'm hoping that means he's staying a Steeler????

steelersbabex25
02-28-2011, 02:51 PM
What loss? He's still on the team...:scratch:

SteelerDave74
02-28-2011, 05:41 PM
Ike Taylor is crucial for our secondary. If the Steelers let him go, oooooooohhhhhhhhhhhh man.

BlitzburghRockCity
02-28-2011, 06:39 PM
The Steelers won't let Ike go, he wants to finish his career in Pittsburgh and as long as the Steelers give him fair market value it's a safe bet he'll stick around. You all are right though, if he would leave the gaping hole in our Secondary would be a monster blow to try and overcome.

cmerrifield
02-28-2011, 06:47 PM
Taylor staying would be key for the secondary improving, but if we do lose him we have Butler or a drafted CB to fill in (notice I didnt mention Lewis). The secondary might not get worse if he leaves, but it certainly hinders it chances of getting better. I really like Butler and think Butler and Ike as our starting CB's would be good.

Rampage
02-28-2011, 07:07 PM
If Taylor is lost then the team would have to make a move on Joseph or Cromartie to get back to even, but that wouldn't make much sense as they will probably command more money.

Mike Tomlin
02-28-2011, 09:56 PM
Taylor staying would be key for the secondary improving, but if we do lose him we have Butler or a drafted CB to fill in (notice I didnt mention Lewis). The secondary might not get worse if he leaves, but it certainly hinders it chances of getting better. I really like Butler and think Butler and Ike as our starting CB's would be good.

I hope your right about Butler, the few times I saw him play he had great reaction time on the outside. He also had the awareness to leave his man and break up another receivers route. The problem is with all that said , with all the issues we had at corner he was never even mentioned. You would think that if he was that great in practice at some point they would have atleast put him out there instead of Madison. The only time I ever saw him play was in the end of the preseason games where he basically played against bums.

DanRooney
03-01-2011, 08:08 AM
We need 2 corners. 1 to replace McFadden (hopefully Butler; he has the size and athletism to take on a #2 WR) and one to take over for William gay at nickel. Gay is so bad it's not even funny.

LatrobePA
03-01-2011, 08:39 AM
Gay is bad yes, but wasn't it Troy that got burnt twice for TD's in the SB? Just say'n our safey play needs to be addressed, was Troy hurt worse or was he just that out to lunch??

Sign Ike, draft a S, pick up a FA stud CB...

cmerrifield
03-01-2011, 09:13 AM
Gay is bad yes, but wasn't it Troy that got burnt twice for TD's in the SB? Just say'n our safey play needs to be addressed, was Troy hurt worse or was he just that out to lunch??

Yeah, but Troy's weakness if man coverage or even a huge zone. He is best if you can line up 5 yards of the LOS and make the QB guess what he is doing. With McFadden, because of injury or because he just isnt good, Troy had to line up 15 yards back. That is not his strength. We need less guys in coverage and more guys going after the QB. Somehow the coaches think sending more guys who cant cover will help. Instead, make sure the DB's and LB's are only covering for about 3 seconds. I felt like after Harrison's fines, the defense got less aggressive. I really think it was lack of aggressiveness that hurt the secondary. The year our secondary was great was the year the Harrison and Woodley tied the record for most sacks from a duo. That was McFadden's great year too. If you are going to draft guys who are very good in coverage, make sure they are out there all day covering WR's.

DanRooney
03-01-2011, 09:35 AM

Troy was 'burnt' once in the Super Bowl when Jennings ran a sloppy donut route and went the wrong way.

Farrior (hold your laughter) was assigned to Jennings on the other TD. Troy did his best to close on him but Farrior failed to not even simply jam Jennings, but touch him at all. He just blew right past him and by time Polamalu hit him he already caught the ball in the endzone.

Footage:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sr0g4MxDG5Q&feature=related

Meanwhile, I can't even count the times Gay was burnt by Jordy Nelson. He, the whiteboy #3 WR, could have easily been SB MVP himelf.

LatrobePA
03-01-2011, 09:43 AM
twice, corner and middle...

DanRooney
03-01-2011, 07:46 PM
twice, corner and middle...

What? How was Troy burnt on that play? He was playing deep safety with Clark on the other side. Farrior's responsibility was Jennings on that play. He failed to do anything to impede his route, which is why Rodgers hit him as soon as he found a void in between the two.

I figure you think just because Troy hit Jennings at the end of the play, he was his responsibility, which is not the case.

--- Added 3/1/2011 at 06:46 PM ---

Hell you can even see Clark on the other side of the field desperately trying to jump Jennings' route before the ball is thrown. He know as soon as Farrior decided to be utterly useless in coverage that this was going to be a TD.

On the other TD (where you can blame Troy), guess who cuts off Troy and decides to change direction. I'll give you a clue, he's wearing number 51.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P8ZZuE8Yd78

tburg68
03-01-2011, 09:41 PM
Ike will be resigned. He is the Steelers own FA, AND he is the cheapest option.

Scorp
03-01-2011, 09:43 PM
I have come to terms that whatever will happen is going to happen and whatever will be will be.

LatrobePA
03-01-2011, 09:48 PM
What? How was Troy burnt on that play? He was playing deep safety with Clark on the other side. Farrior's responsibility was Jennings on that play. He failed to do anything to impede his route, which is why Rodgers hit him as soon as he found a void in between the two.

I figure you think just because Troy hit Jennings at the end of the play, he was his responsibility, which is not the case.

--- Added 3/1/2011 at 06:46 PM ---

Hell you can even see Clark on the other side of the field desperately trying to jump Jennings' route before the ball is thrown. He know as soon as Farrior decided to be utterly useless in coverage that this was going to be a TD.

On the other TD (where you can blame Troy), guess who cuts off Troy and decides to change direction. I'll give you a clue, he's wearing number 51.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P8ZZuE8Yd78

In an interview AR said Troy did exactly what they wanted him to do...He got burnt, just admit it dude, he was out to lunch the whole PO run to the SB...

Let's just hope he gets healthy and ready for the season...

DanRooney
03-01-2011, 11:03 PM
In an interview AR said Troy did exactly what they wanted him to do...He got burnt, just admit it dude, he was out to lunch the whole PO run to the SB...

Let's just hope he gets healthy and ready for the season...

Great analysis dude! :lol: Insightful and a great look on to how he was burnt.

Obviously Troy was lined up man-to-man with Jennings and he ran right past him.

STEELWILLiam
03-02-2011, 08:37 AM
I have had mixed feelings about Ike over the years. He is obviously a huge part of the Steelers secondary, and losing him would be a big loss. If the Stillers could find a lockdown corner to put on the number 1 reciever, and have Ike play opposite of him, that would be a huge lift for our defense.

LatrobePA
03-02-2011, 08:50 AM
Ike is a number 1, it would be huge to have a guy close to play opposite...

coldrolled
03-02-2011, 10:06 AM
Heres what Carson Palmer says: Carson Palmer feels Bengals are hopeless

We need to get Joseph signed with us and draft OL.. Joseph probably wants to run from this time bomb of a team...

LatrobePA
03-02-2011, 10:35 AM
Great analysis dude! :lol: Insightful and a great look on to how he was burnt.

Obviously Troy was lined up man-to-man with Jennings and he ran right past him.

I can see from your sig that you're a big Troy fan, that's cool...

But your ole mighty Troy did his best impression of Carter in the post season and when you have a chance to remove his sack from your chin you'll notice that he's hit and miss, miss...

DanRooney
03-02-2011, 10:38 AM
I can see from your sig that you're a big Troy fan, that's cool...

But your ole mighty Troy did his best impression of Carter in the post season and when you have a chance to remove his sack from your chin you'll notice that he's hit and miss, miss...

Of course I'm a big Troy fan. You are an idiot if you think he's not one of the best safeties in the game if not the best.

Played a mediocre SB, I give you that. But saying he got burnt twice for TDs was absolutely not the case. I suggest you learn a little bit about coverage instead putting your little jimmy down KTrain's throat. What he says isn't always the gospel.

DBR96A
03-02-2011, 02:28 PM
I like Ike Taylor. With that said, he should be our #2 CB, not our #1 CB. I'd like for us to find our future #1 CB, and also a nickel back.

Mike Tomlin
03-02-2011, 06:25 PM
I like Ike Taylor. With that said, he should be our #2 CB, not our #1 CB. I'd like for us to find our future #1 CB, and also a nickel back. We could run the team together on that statement. I definitely saw a good future nickel back that will be there in later rounds ,but I don't see a starting (good) #1 past the top 3guys at the position..

coldrolled
03-02-2011, 09:08 PM
Bengals Use 1st and 3rd Round RFA Tender on CB Johnathan Joseph

DanRooney
03-02-2011, 09:10 PM

disheartening. I hope we move up to grab Jimmy Smith. I think he fits us perfectly. Ran a great 40, had a whopping 24 reps on his bench and is tall and physical.

cmerrifield
03-02-2011, 10:06 PM

That doesnt matter, in the new CBA he will not be restricted, he will be UFA

coldrolled
03-03-2011, 07:30 PM
Do the redskins have a salary cap or are they like an extension of the DC politicians, spending with no limits... do the skins have a CAP??

Redskins Agree to Terms With S O.J. Atogwe
According to Jim Thomas of the St. Louis Post-Dispatch, the Washington Redskins have agreed to terms with free agent safety O.J. Atogwe.

Those terms were not disclosed, though ESPN's Adam Schefter reports that Atogwe has agreed to a five-year deal.

cmerrifield
03-04-2011, 05:56 AM
Do the redskins have a salary cap or are they like an extension of the DC politicians, spending with no limits... do the skins have a CAP??

Redskins Agree to Terms With S O.J. Atogwe
According to Jim Thomas of the St. Louis Post-Dispatch, the Washington Redskins have agreed to terms with free agent safety O.J. Atogwe.

Those terms were not disclosed, though ESPN's Adam Schefter reports that Atogwe has agreed to a five-year deal.

Yes of course they do, but here is the deal with the skins. Atogwe's deal was only 5 million a year. They are also getting rid of Fat Albert this off season freeing up a lot of cap space. Also, think about their team. They have some big free agents they sign every offseason, but otherwise, they a bunch of middle of the road players making average salaries. We on the other hand, our front seven on defense take up 41 million or 1/3 of the projected cap.

Rampage
03-04-2011, 11:53 AM

Snyder works around the salary cap via massive signing bonuses. I still think the Washington Redskins should move to Florida, though, due to the fact that it's the last place players go before their careers die.

cmerrifield
03-04-2011, 04:42 PM
Snyder works around the salary cap via massive signing bonuses. I still think the Washington Redskins should move to Florida, though, due to the fact that it's the last place players go before their careers die.

signing bonuses count against the cap, what do you mean?

DanRooney
03-05-2011, 08:36 AM
signing bonuses count against the cap, what do you mean?

No they don't.

cmerrifield
03-05-2011, 10:34 AM
No they don't.

Yes, they do. Here are two websites that show they do. I will find more if you arent convinced.

From www.askthecommish.com

The signing bonus IS part of the player's salary. So it counts against the cap. When determining team and player salary, the signing bonus will be prorated over the length of the contract.

For example, if a player signs a four-year deal with a $1 million signing bonus, $250,000 of that bonus will count toward team salary for each contract year ($1 million divided evenly over the four-year contract is $250,000 per year). If a team releases a player, the unamoratized bonus money (the remaining prorated bonus money) counts immediately against the cap.

In our example above, if the player is released after Year 1, the remaining $750,000 (the prorated signing bonus money for years 2-4) counts against the cap in Year 2 -- even though the player is no longer on the team's roster

From http://entertainment.howstuffworks.com/question644.htm

Say, for example, a player wants a seven-year, $60-million contract. Let's say that the owner decides to give that player an $11-million signing bonus, which is all paid out in the first year but gets factored into the cap as prorated over the course of the seven-year contract ($11-million / 7 years = $1.57-million per year).

Clevelandsux
03-05-2011, 12:49 PM
I've never been a big fan of Taylor. He's still better than the rest of our secondary, minus Troy. I still say Taylor is average at best. I would have no problem letting him go if we upgraded the rest of the secondary.

BlitzburghRockCity
03-05-2011, 02:42 PM
The Steelers have another week to try and get a deal done with Taylor, perhaps this extra time might be enough to get him signed.

And yes signing bonuses always count against the cap, but you can spread them out over the life of the contract to lesson the impact on any given year.

cmerrifield
03-05-2011, 04:26 PM
The Steelers have another week to try and get a deal done with Taylor, perhaps this extra time might be enough to get him signed.

And yes signing bonuses always count against the cap, but you can spread them out over the life of the contract to lesson the impact on any given year.

Nope, no signing or transactions this week. Its just an extension to prevent a lockout

coldrolled
03-10-2011, 02:43 PM
I've never been a big fan of Taylor. He's still better than the rest of our secondary, minus Troy. I still say Taylor is average at best. I would have no problem letting him go if we upgraded the rest of the secondary.

Pro Football Focus writes Baltimore Ravens cornerback Josh Wilson is better than both Johnathan Joseph of the Cincinnati Bengals and Ike Taylor of the Pittsburgh Steelers.

BlitzburghRockCity
03-11-2011, 06:52 PM
As of now, since the CBA talks have broken off and the union decertified, the Steelers haven't officially lost Ike Taylor yet. Taylor and every other UFA or RFA is in limbo. When a deal is reached; there will most likely be a grace period for teams to sign their players before the new Free Agency period begins.

Taylor's agent and the Steelers cannot talk contract now until a deal is reached, however when it does it may give the Steelers a good chance to get him back.