PDA

View Full Version : Pick 1 Super Bowl

Scorp
02-25-2011, 01:38 PM
What Super Bowl would you have wanted the Steelers to win more and why?
Would it be Super Bowl XXX or would it be Super Bowl XLV?

cmerrifield
02-25-2011, 03:23 PM
It would have been XXX. I HATE Dallas. I think the Packers are a good organization and I like Rogers. So, if we had to loose, I was glad it was the Packers. However, I would be ok if Dallas and Jerry Jones left the NFL forever.

hit 'n run
02-25-2011, 03:41 PM

Both:

1. Because they could have won XXX towards the end, until O'Donnell threw that interception and because the Cowboys should NEVER have had a victory over the Steelers in a Super Bowl - EVER. It's against nature and just WRONG.

2. XLV because it was an unnecessary give-away, and it was in their destiny to have # 7 in 2011...it's why it's so hard to get over it.

P.S.
I still believe # 7 will happen, of course, I'm just saying...

Rampage
02-25-2011, 04:19 PM
Well, I was still a little **** when XXX came around; however, I hate the Cowboys so that would have been sweet.

On the other hand, XLV is the most recent and most painful.

I would take either one.

MDSteel15
02-25-2011, 04:40 PM
It would definately be Super Bowl XXX! God how I hate the Cowboys.... :evilshake:

Deviouz1
02-25-2011, 04:41 PM
XLV

though i hate dallas with a boiling passion, more so han any other team in fact, i think that if the steelers had actually completed that last drive for the win in XLV it could easily be the biggest comeback win in SB history. 3 turnovers, down 3 TD's before the half, bad play for most of the game and then to come back and play flawless football for the win at the end? EPIC!

besides XXX was during a time when the steelers were still just "decent". and the 90's were dallas'. even had they lost that SB they would still have owned the decade just like the steelers in the 70's and the 49ers in the 80's. as much as i hate them i dont begrudge them that. oh, and in XXX i was able to see, live on TV, Deion Sanders get folded in half while landing on his head. there for a second i thought he had broken his neck or back seeing the bizarre angle he was contorted in. that almost made the loss tolerable.

UKSTEELER
02-25-2011, 05:53 PM
XXX

players like Woodson, Dirt, Lloyd and Kirkland deserved a win for all there Stirling efforts for us over the years.

We had them too, but threw it away!

XVL we didn't deserve ****! I never had the belief anyway through the game that we would win!

mos07
02-25-2011, 07:02 PM
We can wish in one hand and **** in the other and see which one fills up first...........I am not putting myself through this gut-wrenching exercise, I prefer to get drunk and forget about both games............

Bring on the draft............

hit 'n run
02-25-2011, 07:27 PM
Well, I was still a little **** when XXX came around; however, I hate the Cowboys so that would have been sweet.

On the other hand, XLV is the most recent and most painful.

I would take either one.

...I was 16, so how old were you in January of '96?

SteelerDave74
02-25-2011, 10:32 PM
XXX

Hated the Cowboys with a bloody passion.

andyg1984
02-26-2011, 12:07 AM
much younger vs the cowboys so that is the one i want ..

franchise3
02-26-2011, 12:09 AM
Few weeks ago I thought XLV but as time goes on, XXX seems like a more painful one.

The only reason why this one could be harder is, as someone has pointed out, this win would have established this team as a dynasty while we were not that good in 90's. Also, we would have set the record for the biggest comeback.

But the fact that it was the Cowboys and we had a long drought back then, XXX would have to be my choice.

BlitzburghRockCity
02-26-2011, 11:23 AM
I can't pick just one, the Steelers had a chance to win, and should have won both of them. If Neil doesn't toss those 2 INT's, especially the 2nd one, I am confident we would have won. We were only down by 3, and with all the momentum at that point.

XLV burns me up because the Steelers didn't make that many mistakes in 1 game all year long. Ben only tossed 5 INT's the whole year. The defense was able to step up in every game to make a play, but even with all that they still had a chance to win but just fell apart at the worst time.

Deviouz1
02-26-2011, 02:13 PM
I can't pick just one, the Steelers had a chance to win, and should have won both of them. If Neil doesn't toss those 2 INT's, especially the 2nd one, I am confident we would have won. We were only down by 3, and with all the momentum at that point.

XLV burns me up because the Steelers didn't make that many mistakes in 1 game all year long. Ben only tossed 5 INT's the whole year. The defense was able to step up in every game to make a play, but even with all that they still had a chance to win but just fell apart at the worst time.

yknow, i read something a while back that im not 100% positive about but strikes me as rather interesting little factoid. during the 90's the steelers played dallas i think it said 11 times(dont quote me on that, my memory isnt what it used to be after a very intense experimental phase of my youth and i read this some time ago). not only did dallas win every meeting, but not a single time, not even for a single second, during that entire decade did the steelers lead at any point in any of the games.

seems to me that we just werent meant to beat them in XXX.

Rampage
02-26-2011, 04:13 PM
yknow, i read something a while back that im not 100% positive about but strikes me as rather interesting little factoid. during the 90's the steelers played dallas i think it said 11 times(dont quote me on that, my memory isnt what it used to be after a very intense experimental phase of my youth and i read this some time ago). not only did dallas win every meeting, but not a single time, not even for a single second, during that entire decade did the steelers lead at any point in any of the games.

seems to me that we just werent meant to beat them in XXX.

Sounds a lot like the Patriots now.

SteelDad
02-27-2011, 12:18 AM
The easy answer for any Steelers' fan is XXX. Obviously, each of us may have individual ties to either the Cowboys or Packers for whatever reason, but the hatred for the Cowboys has to be paramount. While both SB's were winnable games, beating the cowpukes would have been awesome especially for the 3rd time. The most recent is still pretty raw and fresh for me, but beating Dallas in any SB is about as good as it can get IMO.

BlitzburghRockCity
02-27-2011, 01:18 PM
Thanks for bringing up that bad memory of the XXX, Scorp! :evilshake: Irritates me to know end realizing how close we came. In both super bowl losses the turnovers were the key.

Scorp
02-27-2011, 11:48 PM
Thanks for bringing up that bad memory of the XXX, Scorp! :evilshake: Irritates me to know end realizing how close we came. In both super bowl losses the turnovers were the key.

It's a bad memory for all of us Bro. Who ever said the loser in the Super Bowl is forgotten and never talked about is a freakin moron. Obviously it's not true. In other words it's a false statement. #7 will make up for both of the big losses. :yellowthumb:

hit 'n run
02-28-2011, 02:49 PM
Excerpted from post by Deviouz1:

"... not only did dallas win every meeting, but not a single time, not even for a single second, during that entire decade did the steelers lead at any point in any of the games.

seems to me that we just werent meant to beat them in XXX."
__________________________________________________ _______________

It's not clear to me when these Steelers vs Cowboys games were played - and lost - by the Steelers.

-> But I strongly disagree with your conclusion that we "weren't meant to beat them in XXX."

XXX is, to my knowledge, the one and only Super Bowl that the Cowboys experienced a victory over the Steelers.

Meanwhile, the Steelers had not one, but two Super Bowl victories over the Cowboys when Bradshaw was QB and all the legendary Steelers were in place.

As for who "owned" the decade of the 90's - I don't give a flying FIG about that. -> When the Steelers make it to a Super Bowl, they are there to WIN.

This magnanimous granting of a Super Bowl victory to the opponent is NEVER an option, and not the Steeler way.

XXX and XLV were heinous aberrations and just WRONG.

Go 'Lers
02-28-2011, 06:50 PM
ITS A PUSH: What people forget is how close those Super Bowl losses were and how just ONE less turnover would have sealed victory in both championship games losses to the Cowboys and Packers respectively.

Super Bowl XXX -- Bam Morris scored to narrow the gap 17-20 and then the team recovered an onside kick driving down the field late in the 4th quarter for what would have been a potential game winning touchdown or atleast a tying field goal...you can't tell me folks in Dallas weren't sweating bullets as their heavily favored team was on the ropes. Alas, our receiver ran the wrong route and Dallas intercepted a pop-fly pass and took it to the Steelers 6 yard line. Oh, what could have been.

Super Bowl XLV -- When did Pittsburgh turn the ball over 3 times all year?? To their credit, the Packer defense made plays but the majority of their points were produced from turnovers. The Steeler D more than held Green Bay's offense but even they couldn't weather the storm of three turnovers. Had Pittsburgh just played halfway better the game would have been resoundingly in our favor. It may sound like sour grapes, but, with all do respect to Aaron Rodgers, I'm sticking to my story.

Scorp
02-28-2011, 09:40 PM
Steelers lost to them in 1991 20-10, 1994 26-9, and 1997 37-7. Don't know how the hell that happened.

hit 'n run
03-01-2011, 11:03 AM
Steelers lost to them in 1991 20-10, 1994 26-9, and 1997 37-7. Don't know how the hell that happened.

Thanks for those unfortunate facts, Scorp.

But in my previously posted response to Deviouz1's "XXX... not meant to be" conclusion, I was referring to Super Bowl appearances exclusively, not regular season, or any other (preseason, etc.) games.

As I see it, the Steelers are ALWAYS "meant" to win each and every Super Bowl they play in.

I reiterate, emphasize, and underscore:

Scorp
03-01-2011, 11:54 AM
Thanks for those unfortunate facts, Scorp.

But in my previously posted response to Deviouz1's "XXX... not meant to be" conclusion, I was referring to Super Bowl appearances exclusively, not regular season, or any other (preseason, etc.) games.

As I see it, the Steelers are ALWAYS "meant" to win each and every Super Bowl they play in.

I reiterate, emphasize, and underscore:

I do apologize for the first part and agree with you on the rest. :yellowthumb:

bensshoes
03-01-2011, 03:12 PM

I'd pick EVERY Super Bowl not just one!

hit 'n run
03-01-2011, 03:45 PM
I do apologize for the first part and agree with you on the rest. :yellowthumb:

Please - don't apologize! No need at all for that.

What I appreciate is your statement that you agree with me. You're the first person on this site to do that. (I think) I'm not exactly collecting a lot of new friends around here...

Is it because I'm too abrasive? Something I said? (smile)

But God, I love this site!
Steeler Addicts live forever!!

Scorp
03-01-2011, 10:47 PM
Please - don't apologize! No need at all for that.

What I appreciate is your statement that you agree with me. You're the first person on this site to do that. (I think) I'm not exactly collecting a lot of new friends around here...

Is it because I'm too abrasive? Something I said? (smile)

But God, I love this site!
Steeler Addicts live forever!!

It wasn't a sincere apology. Just saying the facts i stated do hurt cause we lost to those boys from dallas when we shouldn't have. But, like i always say. Someone has got to win and someone has got to lose.

Deviouz1
03-02-2011, 12:36 AM
I strongly disagree with your conclusion that we "weren't meant to beat them in XXX."

XXX is, to my knowledge, the one and only Super Bowl that the Cowboys experienced a victory over the Steelers.

exactly. and it somehow seems to serve as the capstone achievment of a mediocre decade of post Steel Curtain teams. no disrespect intended just simple reality.

Meanwhile, the Steelers had not one, but two Super Bowl victories over the Cowboys when Bradshaw was QB and all the legendary Steelers were in place.

it requires a special team to take a SB win. we got it done in the 70's, not so much in the 80's, got a bit better in the 90's, and have since won 2 SB's... so far. i rather like getting them in bunches if we can get 2 more before the core of this team is gone we'll be right where we should be. id rather that than 1 win here, 1 there and 1 over there. putting them up in bunches is what makes a dynasty.

As for who "owned" the decade of the 90's - I don't give a flying FIG about that. -> When the Steelers make it to a Super Bowl, they are there to WIN.

of course they are. and im sure they did their best but just couldnt STAND to NOT make that critical mistake like so often happens in life as well as pretty much anything else. its what the steelers do better than anyone imo and theyve got the trophies to prove it. they just keep trying and giving it their all. an AFC champ trophy is pretty damn nice too. combine them all and i doubt youll find a team with a better resume.

This magnanimous granting of a Super Bowl victory to the opponent is NEVER an option, and not the Steeler way.

when one has the upper hand one has the luxury of being magnanimous. and id rather do that than let it fester for decades lol. unfortunately its not something that can be changed. history is like that yknow and to be a true steelers fan you cant dwell on the past, you look at what you did wrong and change it for the future. the fact is that ive moved on past the loss to dallas. it was a long hard road of fruitless seasons, supporting my team and hoping. but the sting is still there from XLV and the 2 SB's we've won since XXX ease the pain a bit on that one.

regardless, im a fan, win or lose. i prefer you win but im not going to shove a shotgun where the sun dont shine if you lose.

:imho:

ejsteeler
03-02-2011, 08:23 AM
It would have been XXX. I HATE Dallas. I think the Packers are a good organization and I like Rogers. So, if we had to loose, I was glad it was the Packers. However, I would be ok if Dallas and Jerry Jones left the NFL forever.

Agree 1 million% :yellowthumb:

hit 'n run
03-02-2011, 02:12 PM
It wasn't a sincere apology. Just saying the facts i stated do hurt cause we lost to those boys from dallas when we shouldn't have. But, like i always say. Someone has got to win and someone has got to lose.

Well I'm shocked - shocked - Scorp, that your apology for the Cowboys' victories over the Steelers is "insincere".

Shocked, I tell you!

P.S.
I did laugh out loud though.

Scorp
03-02-2011, 10:42 PM
Well I'm shocked - shocked - Scorp, that your apology for the Cowboys' victories over the Steelers is "insincere".

Shocked, I tell you!

P.S.
I did laugh out loud though.

The Cowboys getting an apology from me...................:lol: NEVER!!!!!!!

hit 'n run
03-04-2011, 05:33 PM
exactly. and it somehow seems to serve as the capstone achievment of a mediocre decade of post Steel Curtain teams. no disrespect intended just simple reality....

... to be a true steelers fan you cant dwell on the past, you look at what you did wrong and change it for the future. the fact is that ive moved on past the loss to dallas.....

regardless, im a fan, win or lose. i prefer you win but im not going to shove a shotgun where the sun dont shine if you lose.

:imho:

From you, Deviouz1, of all people! You, an ardent champion of Lambert and his old-school toughness.

This post is your befuddled way of addressing my choice to "Pick One Super Bowl"?
My post was - and remains - a bulletproof statement that Jack himself would agree.
Why?
Because he (like myself) does not give a flying FIG about who "owns" a "decade."
Neither does Lambert [*whimper* whimper*] subscribe to a dreamy, emotional reliance on the Fates, that the Steelers "weren't meant to win" Super Bowl XXX.
-> "weren't meant to win" is your wobbly take on it.

In your effort to display a persona of keen, piercing analysis, you manage to sound a lot like Donald Duck.

If your upshot is to "not dwell on the past" and "move on" --
->> then why the FIG did you bother to post in this forum??
This is the forum's topic!

None of us "live" there - in the past. We elected to post our opinions about two PAST Super Bowls. AND SO DID YOU.

So congratulate yourself for "moving on". So what? And what an impotent cliche.

My statement stands.
The Steelers in a Super Bowl (ask Jack, an expert at smelling his adversaries' blood) are there to win.

The Fates, the stars, and alignment of the planets are irrelevant.
P.S.
"shotgun where the sun don't shine" - - ????
Those are your words, uttered for reasons known only to yourself.

nuclearchihuahuas
03-05-2011, 12:01 PM
XXX. Hated the cowboys then and hate them now. I still have respect for the Packers franchise but would have been ridiculously happy to beat them in XVL.

Clevelandsux
03-05-2011, 01:43 PM
xxx because I hate the cowboys. But I never thought he had a chance in hell to beat them, and we darn well did.

XLV I thought we were going to win. I never thought GB was a better team than us and still don't.