PDA

View Full Version : Steelers won't place transition tag on Taylor

harpo
02-24-2011, 12:55 PM
Read about it here:

Taylor won't receive transition tag (http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d81e73f76/article/steelers-wont-place-transition-tag-on-cb-taylor)

Rampage
02-24-2011, 12:57 PM
This could be a sign that a solid long term contract is in the works, in which case, I would be happy.

Scorp
02-24-2011, 12:59 PM
What do the Steelers have up their sleeve?

harpo
02-24-2011, 12:59 PM
This could be a sign that a solid long term contract is in the works, in which case, I would be happy.

I was thinking the same thing.

jpele
02-24-2011, 01:00 PM
When the Steelers say it I"ll believe it. After all this guy is wrong a lot more than he's right

cmerrifield
02-24-2011, 01:07 PM
Taylor has said he wants to stay in Pittsburgh, so I think as long as the offer him a fair deal, he wont "play the market"

Rampage
02-24-2011, 01:07 PM
When the Steelers say it I"ll believe it. After all this guy is wrong a lot more than he's right

*Crossing fingers hoping that La Canfora reports Steelers are uninterested in Jonathan Joseph*

harpo
02-24-2011, 01:33 PM
*Crossing fingers hoping that La Canfora reports Steelers are uninterested in Jonathan Joseph*

LMAO!!!!!

Good one, Ram! :lol::yellowthumb:

Deviouz1
02-24-2011, 01:49 PM
erm yes, lets ink a long term deals for aging butterfingered CB's. anything over 2 years, depending on price, is... unappealing. a year by year at his age would be preferable. if he starts slowing down, which is likely, he really wont have much to offer since he cant catch anything anyway. his one saving grace is that he can keep up with and get in the face of opposing WR's. hell, half the time he doesnt even look for the ball, he just stares at the receiver and hopes he can get the back of his head between the ball and its target.

LatrobePA
02-24-2011, 03:15 PM
They have something up their sleeve, they being the FO!!

Rampage
02-24-2011, 04:25 PM
erm yes, lets ink a long term deals for aging butterfingered CB's. anything over 2 years, depending on price, is... unappealing. a year by year at his age would be preferable. if he starts slowing down, which is likely, he really wont have much to offer since he cant catch anything anyway. his one saving grace is that he can keep up with and get in the face of opposing WR's. hell, half the time he doesnt even look for the ball, he just stares at the receiver and hopes he can get the back of his head between the ball and its target.

The thing is, the Steelers have very little bargaining power. It's not like this team is deep with corners, Ike Taylor is the best they've got. No, he isn't a ballhawk, but he isn't a liability either. They need to keep him and pursue a FA CB like Joseph or Cromartie, or they will need to draft a rookie CB to play opposite him. If they don't retain him, they will have to move in free agency and draft a young corner.

coldrolled
02-24-2011, 04:55 PM
The thing is, the Steelers have very little bargaining power. It's not like this team is deep with corners, Ike Taylor is the best they've got. No, he isn't a ballhawk, but he isn't a liability either. They need to keep him and pursue a FA CB like Joseph or Cromartie, or they will need to draft a rookie CB to play opposite him. If they don't retain him, they will have to move in free agency and draft a young corner.

it is a passing league and the new rules make the passing game a better choice for most teams with good QB's. So, CB's and Safety's should be our top priority right now
We can get OL in the third round a guard maybe... CB and Safety are my picks for #1 and #2 along with a FA CB...

Deviouz1
02-24-2011, 04:57 PM

agreed. but if KTrain is correct in his appraisal of Crezdon, which he probably is from everything ive seen, then we'll have a solid corner there that can only improve with snaps. keeping taylor around for a year or two would allow Crezdon to learn the ropes without being the #1 and all we'll really need is another solid corner from the draft or FA for the next few years. id just rather not ink a 3-5 year deal on a CB that likely will be in a downward spiral within the next few years. as CB's go he's right on the verge of being over the hill. in fact we may see a marked decline as early as next season which, if weve inked a 3 year will just put unnecessary stress on the salary cap for someone that isnt really going to help us.

to be honest i think we should go all out in the draft and FA for one of our weak links and address the other next year. either secondary or Oline, not both. that way if we get a dud or two out of 5 it wont be a total bust whereas if we try to split it up we may end up with duds in both areas and we'll be right back at square one. draft all CB's and FS's, drop gay and bfad, and relegate clark to backup or go the other way and solidify that line with a slew of OT's and Guards, drop essex first and foremost, drop colon (anyone else notice his ninja Kat Williams impression with the microphone on media day? LOL) and maybe kemo and replace them with younger, faster models that can learn from adams who by all accounts was a damn good player in his day and is no slouch even now.

again, :imho: lol

SteelerDave74
02-24-2011, 05:30 PM
Deviouz, your right spot on.

BlitzburghRockCity
02-24-2011, 05:40 PM
Read today that Colbert said they have talked with Ike about a long term deal, but that's all they said. The Steelers obviously feel that they can reach a deal with Ike before he hits the market (when a new CBA is reached).

jpele
02-24-2011, 06:31 PM
INDIANAPOLIS -- The Steelers have had preliminary discussions with cornerback Ike Taylor about a new contract that would prevent him from becoming an unrestricted free agent, director of football operations Kevin Colbert said today.

The Steelers will not use the transition tag on Taylor, which would pay him the average of the top 10 cornerbacks in the NFL, or $11,817,000, in 2011. They had until 4 p.m. today to do so.

But, after getting outside linebacker LaMarr Woodley to sign a franchise tender that would pay him the average of the top five linebackers in the league, the Steelers have turned their attention to re-sign Taylor, their best cornerback, before the collective bargaining agreement expires March 4. Taylor will be 31 in May.

"We're really approaching this one guy at a time," Colbert said.

Link (http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/11055/1127703-100.stm#ixzz1EvEbx9tx)

BlitzburghRockCity
02-24-2011, 10:08 PM
This is good news, more than what we heard earlier. So it would appear they are in more active talks than we probably realized. Tomlin knows he can't let Ike get away and expect to sure up the secondary for another run at the super bowl with lower tier free agents or draft picks. It will take Ike staying in Pittsburgh and getting a top CB in the draft to really get this secondary where it needs to be.

Rampage
02-25-2011, 11:26 AM
Something I really like about this whole situation is that Taylor appears to want to stay, despite the potential to earn more on the open market. If this is indeed the case, it makes me very proud to have Ike on the team.

BlitzburghRockCity
02-27-2011, 03:19 PM
Giving both players a tag could backfire because if you can't work out deals with both then you are screwed for a ton of money counting against the future cap (whatever that may be). Most of us thought they probably wouldn't use both tags, especially since a tag on Taylor would have been so expensive.

Deviouz1
02-27-2011, 06:10 PM
Something I really like about this whole situation is that Taylor appears to want to stay, despite the potential to earn more on the open market. If this is indeed the case, it makes me very proud to have Ike on the team.

+1

it would indeed revise my opinion of keeping him around. thats the kind of thing that is the mark of a true steeler as far as im concerned. it says so many things about a player when money is the only thing they take into consideration.

SteelerDave74
02-27-2011, 07:30 PM
I hope we can keep Ike in town. He is determined to retire a Steeler.