PDA

View Full Version : Willie Colon's agent says Steelers tackle is unlikely to return

jpele
02-24-2011, 08:59 AM
Right tackle Willie Colon missed all of last season's run to Super Bowl XLV by the Steelers with a torn Achilles tendon. Now, it looks like the free agent might have played his last game for Pittsburgh.

Colon's agent, Joe Linta, told the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette's Ed Bouchette that there's little chance of his client returning to the Steelers. Bouchette is convinced that the Steelers are ready to move on.

On the Steelers attempting to sign Colon, Bouchette said, "I believe they will make a half-hearted attempt."

"I'm trusting what his agent is telling me. ... I also think if the Steelers really valued him, they would have tried to sign him to a long-term deal last year," said Bouchette.

Colon turns 28 this offseason and has spent his entire five-year career with the Steelers since they drafted him in the fourth round of the 2006 NFL draft. He played in only two games as a rookie, but started every game for Pittsburgh from 2007-09.

Colon is close with QB Ben Roethlisberger and was with the signal caller on the night he was alleged to have committed a sexual assault in Milledgeville, Ga., last offseason. Bouchette dismisses any notion that the Steelers don't want Colon back because of what happened with Roethlisberger.

"Just because Colon was in the same place does not mean he was a bad influence," said Bouchette.

"The Steelers declined to talk to Colon's agent on a new contract long before Milledgeville happened."

USA Today (http://content.usatoday.com/communities/thehuddle/post/2011/02/nfl-steelers-willie-colon-free-agent/1?csp=34sports&utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+TP-TheHuddle+%28Sports+-+The+Huddle%29)

Not surprising from an agent that touts his client as the best RT in the game. Lets see how many offers he gets after missing a year with a torn Achilles.

SteelDad
02-24-2011, 09:34 AM
It's an interesting motive in terms of Colon's connections to the events in Georgia, but I don't buy it. Looks to be purely a 'business decision' but none of us really know what goes on in the day-to-day operations with the Steelers. What worries me is the already thin depth we have on the line. Not sure I agree with the move to cut ties.

BlitzburghRockCity
02-24-2011, 09:35 AM
Yeah I saw a tweet about it late last night. We don't know for sure what their plans are so anything could happen, but it doesn't look good obviously. IMO the team is thinking that they can get Flozell to come back for 1 more year and they can draft a RT for the future. Bouchette is right, had Colon not gotten injured he probably would have gotten a big pay day from the Steelers after the 2009 season.

As it turns out it worked out good for us getting Flozell who is obviously a much better Tackle, although older of course.

cmerrifield
02-24-2011, 10:52 AM
Yeah, I was pretty sure the Steelers are going to pay Colon when they are openly talking about Flo coming back. Its fine. I think Colon was an OK RT, not amazing, but not bad. After J. Scott's post-season play at LT, I think Starks, Flo and Scott will be good for veteran tackles, then we can draft a rookie.

LatrobePA
02-24-2011, 11:05 AM
Take the other Willie with you!

Rampage
02-24-2011, 11:58 AM
Later, Willie.

I think him being touted as the best o-lineman on this team was not so much about his abilities, rather it was due to the lack of abilities of everyone else. I would rather see the team resign Jonathan Scott and Tony Hills than bring in Colon. He never impressed me with his false starts and holds. I figured he would be able to play guard; however, it appears that he looks at himself as a top flight tackle. Good luck with free agency!

Hopefully this team goes back to the good old days of smaller and faster offensive linemen. These big bubbas can't get the hell out of their own way. Pouncey and his brother or Tyron Smith would be fun to see.

BlitzburghRockCity
02-24-2011, 12:21 PM
Yeah there's no way Colon is one of the best Tackles in the game. He was solid, above average probably, but no way in the upper tier. Considering what we had available other than him though he was the best choice at the time. I still wonder if the team would have stuck him at RG, kept Starks on the right and then drafted a LT, how awesome it would be. The flip side though is that we might not have guys like Hood, Wallace, and Pouncey on the roster now if they decided to go in a different direction those years.

It worked out for the best in the end; Starks is a good LT and Flozell is a good RT. Just get us some depth please!

coldrolled
02-24-2011, 12:24 PM
Not surprising from an agent that touts his client as the best RT in the game. Lets see how many offers he gets after missing a year with a torn Achilles.

Hmm... We were in the SB without him to boot..

We should still sign him as long as his heel isnt slowing him down. match whatever offer he gets and give him a little more. we need him no matter what..... were talking our OL here... we need him... this is not the Colts or Pats OL...

Rampage
02-24-2011, 12:51 PM
He didn't play a down this year. I thought Adams played better than I've ever seen Colon play. I would rather extend Adams than tie up cap room for Colon. I consider Jonathan Scott a more important player to retain than Colon. Despite his shortcomings, we know that he can step in at LT and he'll be much more affordable.

BlitzburghRockCity
02-24-2011, 01:24 PM
I would consider Scott more priority than Colon as well. As bad as Scott played in the first part of the year he played equally as good in the 2nd half and the playoffs. Scott is a must have backup if you ask me. Colon, if he would stay as a backup, I'd be happy with that as long as it wasn't expensive. Rampage makes a good point though, keeping around ties up cap room that we could use for another draft pick or to use on Scott.

If I had to venture a guess I would say that Colon would get probably 2 mill. a year from anywhere he goes. Not a ton of money but still...

Best case scenario for me would be bring Scott back to backup Starks. Keep Flozell for another year and draft a RT. The only problem is what do you do at the RT backup spot? Do you bring back Essex? Try and get Colon back as a backup? or use the offseason to bring in more reserves at Tackle?

Rampage
02-24-2011, 01:43 PM
I would consider Scott more priority than Colon as well. As bad as Scott played in the first part of the year he played equally as good in the 2nd half and the playoffs. Scott is a must have backup if you ask me. Colon, if he would stay as a backup, I'd be happy with that as long as it wasn't expensive. Rampage makes a good point though, keeping around ties up cap room that we could use for another draft pick or to use on Scott.

If I had to venture a guess I would say that Colon would get probably 2 mill. a year from anywhere he goes. Not a ton of money but still...

Best case scenario for me would be bring Scott back to backup Starks. Keep Flozell for another year and draft a RT. The only problem is what do you do at the RT backup spot? Do you bring back Essex? Try and get Colon back as a backup? or use the offseason to bring in more reserves at Tackle?

Here's the way I wouldn't mind things going:

Keep Starks as the starting left tackle and retain Scott as a backup. Keep Adams at right tackle and keep either Essex or Hills (I heard that supposedly the team is very confident in him?). On top of this, draft a rookie offensive lineman.

We know that Pouncey is an option, but I imagine he is off the board by #31. There are also five OTs coming out (Tyron Smith, Gabe Carimi, Anthony Castonzo [we could call him Costanza if he gets drafted], Derek Sherrod, and Ben Ijalana) that I would not mind picking up. I might not use a first on a guy like Ijalana, but if Smith or Carimi fall, I would not mind seeing them in the black and gold.

If the Steelers snag Smith, I would like to see him as the primary backup for both tackle positions in addition to splitting time with either starting tackle to groom him for a starting job. Once he looks capable, throw him in at LT and put Starks back at RT.

BlitzburghRockCity
02-24-2011, 01:59 PM
If they go with CB with their 1st round pick, from what I've read so far this draft is pretty good at the Tackle position so as long as they address it with atleast 1 pick in the first 2 rounds I think I'll be content.

In the past I would agree with you about Starks moving back to RT but honestly I've been pretty impressed with him over all at LT. His only real problem is staying healthy. I'd be ok with keeping Starks at LT, especially since drafting a RT is usually quite a bit easier than drafting a left.

Rampage
02-24-2011, 02:06 PM
If they go with CB with their 1st round pick, from what I've read so far this draft is pretty good at the Tackle position so as long as they address it with atleast 1 pick in the first 2 rounds I think I'll be content.

In the past I would agree with you about Starks moving back to RT but honestly I've been pretty impressed with him over all at LT. His only real problem is staying healthy. I'd be ok with keeping Starks at LT, especially since drafting a RT is usually quite a bit easier than drafting a left.

I am with you on Starks' quality; however, I would not mind a capable LT in the draft. Heck, you could keep the young guy at RT for a while to get the hang of the game and then swap him with Starks eventually.

If they go corner in round one, something I would not be opposed to at all, I could still see them finding a competent tackle or guard in round two. It looks like this is one of the deeper all round draft classes in some time. There are several tackles, several corners, and a ton of d-linemen. Unless this team reaches for someone or goes BPA, I think they will be able to address any of the primary needs with quality selections available in the first, second, and third.

steelersbabex25
02-24-2011, 03:31 PM
I don't know about you all, but I for one would love to keep Colon.

Rampage
02-24-2011, 05:22 PM
I don't know about you all, but I for one would love to keep Colon.

Well I want a Colostomy.

:hilarious:

SteelerDave74
02-24-2011, 06:32 PM
I've been hoping for the Steelers to sign Colon. I think it would be a mistake letting him go.

cmerrifield
02-24-2011, 06:37 PM
I've been hoping for the Steelers to sign Colon. I think it would be a mistake letting him go.

Not for the kind of money he is going to want. We just dont have the cap room to resign him and we can draft a RT that can play behind Flo for one more year and fill in. Also, we have C. Scott from last years draft. I dont think most of us are too high on him, but another year could make a difference.

igor0190
02-24-2011, 11:55 PM
Not for the kind of money he is going to want. We just dont have the cap room to resign him and we can draft a RT that can play behind Flo for one more year and fill in. Also, we have C. Scott from last years draft. I dont think most of us are too high on him, but another year could make a difference.

The Steelers will wait to see what they can land in the draft before talking with Colon... It makes a lot of sense to wait.

IMO, the Steelers should offer Colon starting Guard type of money... If he wants to stay a Steeler, he would accept his role as a guard where he plays best anyways.

Hopefully we draft our future LT or RT, and NOT a guard, AND keep Colon. But hey, if Mike Pouncey falls to us in the second or something crazy... Colon is a goner.

Real Deal Steel
02-25-2011, 12:05 AM
I"m hoping the front office has a real plan in mind to upgrade the O-line the way it needs to be so the running game can really take off.

acero
02-25-2011, 12:14 AM
no need to worry we will have a great draft this year something tells me that we are going to be fine on OL this year with or without colon

BlitzburghRockCity
02-25-2011, 09:06 AM
I've read on many other sites where people actually think Colon is a top priority free agent and the Steelers need to resign him because he's better than Flozell? Some higher respected, or so I thought, sites at that. Where do these people get this? He was adequate, as I said before above average probably, but he's not a top 5 Tackle in the league and certainly not worth big money.

DanRooney
02-25-2011, 09:07 AM
Pretty much a given we draft a guard or tackle in the first if Colon goes. Flozell gets extended for a couple of years.

Then all the eggs fall in Crezdon Butler's basket...

And as soon as I typed that

"Pittsburgh Steelers director of football operations Kevin Colbert says he's impressed with this year's prospects at offensive tackle."

LatrobePA
02-25-2011, 11:21 AM
See ya Willie, I'm sure the Cards will sign ya! Flo for another year while grooming a draft pick...

Steelersfan
02-25-2011, 12:03 PM
See ya Willie, I'm sure the Cards will sign ya! Flo for another year while grooming a draft pick...

:plus1:

SteelJunkie
02-25-2011, 12:04 PM
Not even close to a top 5 tackle. His agent has been spewing that BS if last couple years. After missing last year no one is going to offer a huge contract. See ya Willie hopefully you have better luck then the other Willie that left a few years ago looking for a better contract and role.

Rampage
02-25-2011, 12:24 PM
Pretty much a given we draft a guard or tackle in the first if Colon goes. Flozell gets extended for a couple of years.

Then all the eggs fall in Crezdon Butler's basket...

And as soon as I typed that

"Pittsburgh Steelers director of football operations Kevin Colbert says he's impressed with this year's prospects at offensive tackle."

Wouldn't it be sweet for Butler to step it up and become Ike Taylor 2.0, just with better man skills? That would be the best case scenario, for sure. Fingers crossed.

Say Butler does show up and gets the starting job and we no longer have to worry about CB. How sweet would it be to have a Pouncey reunion or to be able to snag Castonzo/Carimi/Smith for a future tackle. After grabbing o-line in the first, snag Ras-I Dowling in the second as a future safety.

-oZ3RCWZsNk

SteelDad
02-25-2011, 01:03 PM
It's all about depth and IMO that's what Colon adds right now if Flo is here one more year. The money he will 'allegedly' be asking for is too high and the way Colbert is speaking it sounds like they really like some OT's in the draft so I'm starting to think he is gone.

igor0190
02-25-2011, 03:18 PM
FYI:
Jim Wexell tweeted that Kevin Colbert said he expects Mike Pouncey to be drafter before the Steelers pick at #31. Colbert said because Mike can play Center OR Guard in this league.

Callax
02-26-2011, 09:46 AM
I like Colon, but we have Adams for another year and can move J Scott to RT bt signing him to a long term deal. Get better depth in the draft thtis year

bye bye Colon

Jakey
02-26-2011, 07:41 PM
How has no one mentioned Marcus Cannon as a possibility? 6'5" 358lbs, played LT at TCU and could fit at RT, RG, LG and even LT at a pinch. Massive guy with great strength and agility for a guy his size, carries his weight very well and should be available at #31.

Plug him in at RG this year...see how things go with Flozell, possibly move him to RT, if not you have a big athletic mauling OG.

win win.

Real Deal Steel
02-27-2011, 02:16 AM
I"d love to resign Colon. I hope we do.