PDA

View Full Version : Transition Tag Question

Cricker24
02-22-2011, 07:07 PM
I was wondering if the Steelers could use the transition tag on Willie Colon or Ike Taylor? I know they used the transition tag on Jeff Reed last season, which obviously didn't work out too well. Please forgive my ignorance, but isn't the transition tag similar to the franchise tag in that the player assigned the transition tag is given a salary that is the average of the 5 highest paid players at his position with the difference being that under the transition tag, if the player signs with another team then his original team is given compensation (i.e. draft picks)? Am I right about that or am I way off? I know with RFA the team is given draft picks if they don't match the offer. Any info would be appreciated. Thanks!!

Chris :tt02:

BlitzburghRockCity
02-22-2011, 08:39 PM
Teams have until 2/25/2011 to designate a transitional tag..

http://nfllabor.com/2010/02/20/%E2%80%9Ctag%E2%80%9D-deadline-approaching-franchise-transition-tenders/

• A transition player has received a minimum offer of the average of the top 10 salaries of last season at the player's position or 120 percent of the player's previous year's salary, whichever is greater.
• A transition player designation gives the club a first-refusal right to match within seven days an offer sheet given to the player by another club after his contract expires. If the club matches, it retains the player. If it does not match, it receives no compensation. Transition players can be signed from March 3 through July 22."

BlitzburghRockCity
02-22-2011, 10:10 PM
The Steelers could conceivably place the transition tag on Ike Taylor if they want but there's been no indication that they will be doing so.

SnakeEyes43
02-22-2011, 11:35 PM
I would say use the Ttag on Colon and work a long term deal with Ike....he's our only consistent Db.

BlitzburghRockCity
02-23-2011, 09:35 AM
I wouldn't want them to use it on Colon, nobody is going to offer him THAT much money anyways. If they want to bring him back they'll most likely be able too without too much trouble.

Scorp
02-23-2011, 12:13 PM
I agree with all of you.

SteelDad
02-23-2011, 01:13 PM
While I would really like to see Willie stay with the team, the price would be too much. The other thing that concerns me is the achilles' injury which less than 40% of NFL'ers come back from.

BlitzburghRockCity
02-23-2011, 01:50 PM
Tomlin mentioned that he expects all players to return for 2011 at full speed. As I remember, Colon practically begged Tomlin to keep his roster spot open because he felt he could heal up sooner. As it turns out he probably could have played in the playoffs if he wasn't on IR. Water under the bridge now, but it looks like he will be ready to go in 2011. I'm just not sold on him either way. He was adequate at RT when he played but he had a bunch of false starts and holds that just killed us. I don't think he'll garner that much attention in free agency, atleast not at a high price tag but either way I'd rather keep Flozell and draft a young RT for 2012.