PDA

View Full Version : Tomlin expects another run at Super Bowl

Scorp
02-22-2011, 04:15 PM
Tuesday, February 22, 2011
By Ed Bouchette, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Mike Tomlin expects the rest of his coaches to return, he expects all his injured players to return to health, and he expects his team to compete for another Super Bowl berth.

"We'll be there," Tomlin said in an interview Monday afternoon. "We'll be there. ... Our intentions have not and will not change. We have a desire to compete for a world championship each and every year. We're going to be unwavering in that pursuit."

Two weeks after the Steelers lost to Green Bay, 31-25, in the Super Bowl, Tomlin said he has "been wrapping a bow around the season" and will now concentrate on the NFL Scouting Combine that starts in Indianapolis this week and the draft April 28-30.

He has one opening on his staff after secondary coach Ray Horton accepted a job as defensive coordinator of the Arizona Cardinals. He has been in no hurry to fill it.

"I'm just still in the information gathering process."

He expects the rest of his coaches to return for 2011, which would include coordinators Bruce Arians and Dick LeBeau.

Tomlin said five players who have had more serious surgeries over the past year should have no residual problems come training camp, including linebacker James Harrison, who had surgery on his lower back Monday morning.

Harrison was scheduled to have the surgery a week earlier but it was delayed when he came down with a fever.

Dr. Joseph Maroon performed what's known as a discectomy to remove a piece of herniated disc off a nerve that had been bothering Harrison all season.

"Everything went great," said Bill Parise, his agent. "The consensus was no one could figure out how he could play through the season. It was significant but textbook. The surgery went exactly as they wanted it to. James' recovery should be complete."

Other players the coach expects to be back at full health are offensive tackle Willie Colon and wide receiver Limas Sweed, both of whom had ruptured Achilles tendons in June, and offensive tackle Max Starks (neck surgery) and defensive end Aaron Smith (triceps surgery).

"All of those guys who sustained injuries, there's nothing that gives us an indication that they're going to be an ongoing issue or problem moving forward in terms of getting in the way of football."

Among other topics Tomlin touched on Monday:

He wants tackle Flozell Adams to return for a second season at age 36, and he's not sure where Colon, a potential free agent, will play if he returns to the Steelers.

"I think [Adams] did a nice job for us. He's a good teammate, we had a very productive year."

As for Colon: "There's a lot of questions, a lot of unanswered questions involving that. First and foremost, of course, is Willie Colon's presence. He's scheduled to be a free agent."

Sweed, drafted in the second round in 2008, will get a chance to compete for a job after spending part of '09 on injured reserve with depression and all of last season with his Achilles injury.

"His competition is getting stiff," Tomlin noted. "I think we've acquired some guys since we've acquired him that have proven that they're capable of playing NFL football. So from that standpoint, I'm sure it's not a comfortable situation but it is a competition."

He will welcome all three veteran quarterbacks behind Ben Roethlisberger to training camp to compete: Byron Leftwich, Charlie Batch and Dennis Dixon, who spent the rest of the season on injured reserve after a knee ligament was sprained in the second game.

"Why not? That's a good problem to have, isn't it? We needed all four of them. We did, unfortunately. I don't fear competition and I don't think any of those men do either. It was a really good experience. Of course, it's not a slam-dunk that that's a good experience when you're in those situations, but I think that group and who they are as people and how they interact and related, I think makes it fun and special. All of those guys have been awesome."

Keeping Smith on the roster the rest of the season after his Oct. 24 surgery was worth it, even though he never played again and they lost rookie linebacker Thaddeus Gibson, their fourth-round pick, because of it.

"Absolutely. That's just a level of respect that we have for what he's capable of as a player, and probably equally as important what he is as a man or member of this team. I think there is intrinsic value in that, there's an element of it you can't measure. If I had to do it over I would do it again."

Smith has told Tomlin he plans to return next season.

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/11053/1127052-66.stm#ixzz1EikMxDpE

LatrobePA
02-22-2011, 04:53 PM
I believe it, there's no reason why we can't make another run..

Rampage
02-22-2011, 05:18 PM
I believe it, there's no reason why we can't make another run..

If they don't address the secondary they'll get offed in the playoffs.

/beatingdeadhorse

pimplydan
02-22-2011, 08:17 PM
They will address the secondary , don't worry . Change is on it's way . I am starting to have a fealing that champ Bailey may be a good option. yes we will draft a corner first or second round , but he probably not get any action till 8 to 10 games into the season . Champ Bailey could help mold the next generation of corners here in Pittsburgh .
For sure Champ would love to come here and get a great shot at a superbowl and the price may not be too hefty .

My fealing now is that we pick up Pouncey in the first round or Jimmy smith . One of the 2 should be there when we pick 31st .

coldrolled
02-22-2011, 08:35 PM
They will address the secondary , don't worry . Change is on it's way . I am starting to have a fealing that champ Bailey may be a good option. yes we will draft a corner first or second round , but he probably not get any action till 8 to 10 games into the season . Champ Bailey could help mold the next generation of corners here in Pittsburgh .
For sure Champ would love to come here and get a great shot at a superbowl and the price may not be too hefty .

My fealing now is that we pick up Pouncey in the first round or Jimmy smith . One of the 2 should be there when we pick 31st .

Sorry

Broncos Sign CB Champ Bailey to 4-Year Extension
The Denver Broncos have signed cornerback Champ Bailey to a four-year contract extension.

According to Mike Klis of The Denver Post, Bailey's deal is worth $43 million and includes $15 million in guarantees. Bailey will make $11 million in 2011.

"Champ is truly one of the NFL's elite players, a 10-time Pro Bowler who is playing at the absolute highest level," Broncos president John Elway said.

andyg1984
02-22-2011, 08:41 PM
yeah, sure, as long as we dont face any teams with good QB's the trophy is ours

pimplydan
02-22-2011, 09:44 PM
That's good for 11 million they can keep him !!!!!!!!

Too much money !!!!!!

steelersbabex25
02-22-2011, 09:46 PM
Wow, a coach that lost in the playoffs that expects to get to the superbowl the next year. How original.

LatrobePA
02-22-2011, 10:30 PM
That's good for 11 million they can keep him !!!!!!!!

Too much money !!!!!!

I agree, he's past his prime, you're paying for the name at this point..

On another note, the real FA season hasn't started yet, there will be some deals out there!!

DanRooney
02-22-2011, 10:33 PM
Jonathan Joseph :crossfingers:

Rampage
02-22-2011, 10:34 PM
Jonathan Joseph :crossfingers:

This.

Taylor and Joseph (or a rookie CB) with Polamalu and Clark/Ras I Dowling splitting time.

This is my dream.

Farrior Fan
02-22-2011, 11:39 PM
My dream is to have Ike resigned and getting Nmandi on the other side. Then we bring Troy and Gay on the blitz every down.

BlitzburghRockCity
02-23-2011, 01:56 PM
My dream is to have Ike resigned and getting Nmandi on the other side. Then we bring Troy and Gay on the blitz every down.

Ah yes, what an awesome dream that would be. Those 2 would make for an epic CB duo..but alas it's only a pipe dream :(

As far as the run goes, the Steelers always strive for the super bowl every year. Most so called experts are predicting we won't even make the post season in 2011. Why I have no clue because none of what they cite as reasons are remotely valid at all. I look for us, assuming we stay healthy and bring in some CB help to be right back in it in 2011.

coldrolled
02-23-2011, 02:30 PM
Ah yes, what an awesome dream that would be. Those 2 would make for an epic CB duo..but alas it's only a pipe dream :(

As far as the run goes, the Steelers always strive for the super bowl every year. Most so called experts are predicting we won't even make the post season in 2011. Why I have no clue because none of what they cite as reasons are remotely valid at all. I look for us, assuming we stay healthy and bring in some CB help to be right back in it in 2011.

we need to use free agency for a CB and draft one... just looking at the browns, they will now have, haden, tj ward and probably CB 1st rounder peterson.. in two years "arians" will have a hard time with the browns and their really solid secondary... we screwed up with CB draft picks the last few years, we need 3 really good CB's, we have 1, IKE and he is 31.... The browns pipe dream is building fast... picking #31 and #63 every third year is killing us... we need some FA or some reallly lucky picks like the packers CB shields... a rookie who beat us in the SB and was a 7th round pick i think??

Scorp
02-23-2011, 06:15 PM
So let me ask you guys this. How well do you think Pittsburgh will do in the upcoming draft?

Rampage
02-23-2011, 06:46 PM
So let me ask you guys this. How well do you think Pittsburgh will do in the upcoming draft?

It's going to come down to the way the cards fall. We get paid to draft and so do they. Any given draft day, the standard is the standard.

[/Tomlin answer]

Phenomenal TJ
02-23-2011, 10:38 PM
You forgot the part about giving your all on every pick. ;)

DanRooney
02-23-2011, 10:40 PM

And have who cover the slot receiver? Teams are going to spread us out from here on out. Jordy Nelson abused William Gay in coverage.

Deviouz1
02-23-2011, 11:16 PM
And have who cover the slot receiver? Teams are going to spread us out from here on out. Jordy Nelson abused William Gay in coverage.

gay being abused is nothing new and that whole "weakness in the steelers defense is now exposed" ( :eek1: ) crap is old news and way overhyped anyway. weve had a weak secondary for a very, VERY long time. the fact is that only a few teams are strong enough in the passing game AND possess a good enough OLine to exploit it. face it, we've been getting raped by the pats for almost a decade. and its always been the same thing, spread out and dink-n-dunked to death.

i have a hard time believing that its taken this long for the NFL in general to realize that. its always been known. i mean the packers have an excellent passing game and they barely beat us even WITH a -3 turnover ratio.

im gonna love seeing some of the weaker teams try it next year simply because our weakness has been "exposed" and they think theyre gonna get froggy and jump at at the chance to exploit us. :rolleyes: puhLEASE McCoy is gonna be pooh-ing teeth for a week if the browns try it, the Ravens know better than to try being a straight up passing team, and the bungles may not even have a QB much less be able to field a good enough team to spread us out fast enough to do any real damage. im tellin you, if we actually managed to get a solid secondary, no team in the league could even compete with the barely under control natural disaster the steelers would bring every game.

be treating em like school girls at a spanking convention.

SteelerDave74
02-24-2011, 08:46 AM
I've been seriously stressing the need for secondary upgrades for years. It is now or never. The Browns are becoming a real eye opener lately. The balance of power in the AFC North is about to shift if we don't start gambling and seriously looking at the FA market.

Rampage
02-24-2011, 12:01 PM
I've been seriously stressing the need for secondary upgrades for years. It is now or never. The Browns are becoming a real eye opener lately. The balance of power in the AFC North is about to shift if we don't start gambling and seriously looking at the FA market.

It's just like business. Strong companies act, weak companies react. This team must get off its *** in free agency or work harder in the draft.

The Bengals are chodes, but the Browns are going to be hard to beat due to youth and quality and the Ravens are already a formidable foe. If the Steelers are fine trotting out a bunch of aging veterans, I think they will be unpleasantly surprised.