PDA

View Full Version : I'm a buzz kill but.......Steelers are NOT going to sign big money FA's.

tburg68
02-18-2011, 10:32 PM
The Steelers just don't do it. They wait til the big money is spent by others, then look for affordable pieces to fill in with.

Their best FA signings (Farrior, Hartings) were not big money deals. They just happened to work out well.

The Steelers stay competitive doing things without making a big splash in free agency.

No NA for the Steelers.

LatrobePA
02-18-2011, 10:37 PM
We know, but it's fun to imagine! lol

Real Deal Steel
02-18-2011, 11:57 PM
And Steelers don't resign their LB. Oh wait..they just franchised Woodley and are negotiating a long term deal.

pimplydan
02-19-2011, 12:11 AM
Well I believe it's time for a change.Losing in the superbowl might wake up some heads in the orginization . Look at it this way , don't we go into every year with one goal in mind , to win the superbowl .
To do so you have to first beat your conference opponents . In my mind , we have to be able to beat the Patriots . We know we can beat everyone else . Don't you think we need a FA corner to beat them ? I do !
Without a top corner Brady can do what Rodgers did .

So for me it is too dam obvious , we need a shutdown corner and Ike Taylor .

I'm not the best at the numbers game , but looking at what's happening on the field is another story . Thier must be a way we can afford what we really need .

Well I'll tell you something else , if we don't get our hands on Asmougha or the next best corner , maybe the Patriots will . Then what folks ? Ya that right , we are in shits creek .

coldrolled
02-19-2011, 12:17 AM
we need to spend some cash on these secondary holes. the browns will have tJ ward, haden and this year probably peterson... thats three solid players.. 2 corners and a S.

we never pick top ten, we need FA players right now to fill some defensive holes.

then keep kevin drafting our future on the OL and maybe a TE. it is time to spend some dollars on the defense in FA..

DanRooney
02-19-2011, 04:07 AM
And Steelers don't resign their LB. Oh wait..they just franchised Woodley and are negotiating a long term deal.

They don't sign linebackers past their prime. Woodley is still very young.

bensshoes
02-19-2011, 07:52 AM
this is all hither-nither, the Steelers do what they have too, to win. They use the same but slightly evolving formula and consistantly get results! Theirs no question about that. What do you want the Al Davis or Daniel Snyder method? Just be careful what you ask for you might just get it!

steeldoc
02-19-2011, 09:21 AM
Trust the process...the Ravens spent big on Bolden and Housh, both choked and cost the Ravens their game against the Steelers. Both whined all season about not getting the ball. My only issue I have with the Rooneys over the past 20 years was letting Chad Brown and Rod Wodson get away. Both had a lot left in their tanks.

cmerrifield
02-19-2011, 10:01 AM
This season its not about how the Steelers do things, it will be about cap room. We just dont have enough to make a big signing. We will sign depth or a starter who is giving us a discount to win a SB.

SteelDad
02-19-2011, 11:22 AM
Just trust the process guys. We've gotten to 3 SB's in 6 years doing it our way so it can't be too bad. As was mentioned about the Ravens and you could say about the 'skins, big name FA's do not = championships.

Nolrog
02-19-2011, 11:28 AM
So for me it is too dam obvious , we need a shutdown corner and Ike Taylor .

The only problem is that kid from Oakland is going to get more than Revis, who got 4/46 (11.5 per on average.) That's a hefty number to fit into the cap, especially with Woodly getting 10.

steelchamp204
02-19-2011, 11:44 AM
Just trust the process guys. We've gotten to 3 SB's in 6 years doing it our way so it can't be too bad. As was mentioned about the Ravens and you could say about the 'skins, big name FA's do not = championships.

Yea but the thing is were not going to dodge the pats every time either. One of these years we will run into them and we will needthats shut down corner. I say go after cromartie

andyg1984
02-19-2011, 12:56 PM
cromartie would probably fit in our system like he did when he was in SD in the Merriman era .. not that i am necessarily for it, but he is the type of guy who seems more dependent on pass-rush

this talk about Nnamdi is pointless

BlitzburghRockCity
02-19-2011, 01:20 PM
That's reality, hardly a buzz kill. The Steelers never break the bank and more than likely never will on a free agent. they break the bank on their own guys though, that's nothing new. The Steelers will pay their players, they aren't cheap, but they don't build thru Free agency so they refuse to spend a ton of money on it.

Harrison got big money, Wood will now too, and next year Timmons is up. Perhaps the Steelers will sign all 3 to big money? Perhaps they will give Wood a 1 yr franchise deal and then decide next year whether to pay Timmons or Wood the big money? Many things to be decided yet.

Don't put it past the Steelers to give all 3 big money though...just sayin...

tburg68
02-19-2011, 01:22 PM
The Steelers DO franchise and resign their own FA's that they deem worthy.

The Steelers DON'T have to worry about what the Browns do.

The Steelers DON'T need NA or C-S in order to beat the Pat's. They need to Blitz out of their ZONE BLITZ D, while playing press coverage!

The Steelers DO need to continue targeting their OWN FA's and spending wisely, while continuing to plug in fringe pieces to bolster their needs.

Don't long for or expect the unexpected from the Steelers FO. UNTIL they make a big FA splash, I will not believe it will happen.

Clevelandsux
02-19-2011, 02:47 PM
We never do.

steelchamp204
02-19-2011, 03:40 PM
The Steelers DO franchise and resign their own FA's that they deem worthy.

The Steelers DON'T have to worry about what the Browns do.

The Steelers DON'T need NA or C-S in order to beat the Pat's. They need to Blitz out of their ZONE BLITZ D, while playing press coverage!

The Steelers DO need to continue targeting their OWN FA's and spending wisely, while continuing to plug in fringe pieces to bolster their needs.

Don't long for or expect the unexpected from the Steelers FO. UNTIL they make a big FA splash, I will not believe it will happen.

Didnt we blitz out of our zone d against the pats this year and the packers? What happened, nothing cause all they have to do is a 3 step drop and boom, ball is out, we get beat all the time with the little 5 yard slants and such because we do not play press coverage and knock the wr off the line, thats where cromartie would come in, a bimp and run corner who is tall and would be a force with ike on the other side of the field. If we dont upgrade form atleast a mcfadden corner, we will fail to upgrade the pos this year.

tburg68
02-19-2011, 04:52 PM
Didnt we blitz out of our zone d against the pats this year and the packers? What happened, nothing cause all they have to do is a 3 step drop and boom, ball is out, we get beat all the time with the little 5 yard slants and such because we do not play press coverage and knock the wr off the line, thats where cromartie would come in, a bimp and run corner who is tall and would be a force with ike on the other side of the field. If we dont upgrade form atleast a mcfadden corner, we will fail to upgrade the pos this year.

If you go back and look at the Pats game, you will find that the blitz was called with much less frequency. You will also see that I stated they have to play press coverage against the Pats. If we never do it and continue to get beat by it, maybe its time to start. Cromartie wouldn't help if he is ten yards off either. He is a moot point, because the Steelers are NOT going to pay big for someone else's FA, hence the opening post.

LatrobePA
02-19-2011, 07:02 PM
We were completely out coached the Pats and SB, you could of had the best of the best out there covering and we'd still lost!

Mike Tomlin
02-19-2011, 07:07 PM
The throws that Aaron Rogers made in the suprer bowl were perfect, a few of those times it was like one of our player got a fingernail on it. Had we knocked one of those down on those many third down conversions we would have won that superbowl even with all the turnovers. That's where a good corner would have made atleast one of those break ups. Our season and our games literally come down to one pass break up, I mean almost every game. You got to believe that one of these free agents out here is good for one in that crucial moment per game. I just hope Tomlin can convince the Rooneys to invest in a corner so we can win 2 more. I figure we got atleast 2 years left with this defense as assembled.

steelersbabex25
02-19-2011, 08:16 PM
They don't sign linebackers past their prime. Woodley is still very young.

Farrior, Foote...

JensK
02-19-2011, 08:26 PM
Farrior, Foote...

Foote is hardly in his Prime anymore.

steelersbabex25
02-19-2011, 08:32 PM
Foote is hardly in his Prime anymore.

Which was my point.

JensK
02-19-2011, 08:46 PM
Which was my point.

Ah sorry :) Its 2am here. I should retain myself from trying to make sense at these hours >.<

steelchamp204
02-20-2011, 01:24 AM
If you go back and look at the Pats game, you will find that the blitz was called with much less frequency. You will also see that I stated they have to play press coverage against the Pats. If we never do it and continue to get beat by it, maybe its time to start. Cromartie wouldn't help if he is ten yards off either. He is a moot point, because the Steelers are NOT going to pay big for someone else's FA, hence the opening post.

Bmac > Crmartie :eek1:

tburg68
02-20-2011, 09:43 PM
Bmac > Crmartie :eek1:

IF that was what I said, it would be stupid. Reading may not be a strong point for you.

steelchamp204
02-21-2011, 01:33 AM
IF that was what I said, it would be stupid. Reading may not be a strong point for you.

I read what you said, but if we do switch up to bump and run coverage cromartie would be key, even if he played 10 yards off, I think he would still be a very good corner, are you getting what Im saying? Im not going to have a internet battle with you lmfao. All im saying is if Ike can shut down guys playing soft coverage why wouldnt cromartie do that on the other side of the field from him, or any upgrade corner except for mcfadden, so im not going to go low and insult you on the internet :)

DanRooney
02-21-2011, 01:36 AM
Farrior, Foote...

Foote took a huge discount and was worth the depth. They wouldn't sign him as a starter for obvious reasons.

I guess Farrior is the exception.

SteelDad
02-21-2011, 11:01 AM
In regards to the B-Mac/Cromartie issue..... Our 3-4 defense is designed to allow the corners freedom to play off and NOT have to play bump and run. The idea being that we will be able to bring consistent pressure and not have to force our corners to do more than they are capable of. Cromartie could easily play tighter than B-Mac on the occassions we go into tighter coverages however.

coldrolled
02-21-2011, 11:29 AM
In regards to the B-Mac/Cromartie issue..... Our 3-4 defense is designed to allow the corners freedom to play off and NOT have to play bump and run. The idea being that we will be able to bring consistent pressure and not have to force our corners to do more than they are capable of. Cromartie could easily play tighter than B-Mac on the occassions we go into tighter coverages however.

We have to beat the Pats right... ?? You need tight coverage.

and for a few other top teams with killer QB's...

cmerrifield
02-21-2011, 11:31 AM
Foote took a huge discount and was worth the depth. They wouldn't sign him as a starter for obvious reasons.

Yeah, but Farrior took a "hometown" discount. He is only making what Foote is, maybe a little more, but not much. So the Steelers will sign someone past their prime, but for a discount.

steelersbabex25
02-21-2011, 12:27 PM

I was simply responding to the claim that the don't sign LBs past their prime, which they obviously do/have done.

steelchamp204
02-21-2011, 05:58 PM

EXACT my point

SteelDad
02-21-2011, 06:20 PM

Yup. I don't disagree, but DL just doesn't play his corners tight. If that is a product of how poor they are I get it, if not, I don't know why....:thinking:

tburg68
02-21-2011, 07:58 PM
Point is that when teams like the Pats draw up game plans that consist of 5-7 yard gains on every play, passing 75% of the time, the Steelers have to ADJUST, playing press coverage.

Of course Cromartie would be a better option than McFadden, BUT that will never happen. Ike is not a shutdown corner in our D. Corners are not asked to play man to man and shut down a WR. My point is that in the instances of playing the Pats, they should play press coverage and still blitz.