PDA

View Full Version : Rams release O.J. Atogwe

coldrolled
02-18-2011, 07:11 PM
Rams Release S O.J. Atogwe

The St. Louis Rams have released veteran safety O.J. Atogwe, Jim Thomas of the St. Louis Post-Dispatch reports.

Atogwe signed a five-year, $32.1 million contract last June that included a $2.1 million base salary and $10 million in roster bonuses.

The first bonus, which was due on July 1, was worth $2 million and was paid. An $8 million roster bonus was due if Atogwe was on the club's 80-man roster on February 21.

According to a league source, Atogwe was also able to void the deal via a "Valentine's Day Massacre" clause, which required Atogwe to notify the Rams of his intention to void the contract by February 14.

For obvious reasons, $8 million of them, that did not happen, and now the Rams have terminated the deal before that payment was due.

A third-round pick out of Stanford in 2005, Atogwe has started 75 games for the Rams over the last six seasons, totaling 390 tackles, 5 quarterback sacks, and 22 interceptions.

--- Added 2/18/2011 at 06:11 PM ---

Asomugha, who turns 30 in July, has experienced his own Raiders history. He was one of Cable's biggest supporters, and surely is disappointed to see his first ever nonlosing season punctuated with the firing of the coach.

If he is skeptical, it's valid. He has been a Raider long enough to realize they follow not the arc of logic but the arc of Al's standards and, moreover, his moods.

With Asomugha's intellect, his desire to excel and, most of all, his grasp of history, how can he not find at least a dozen teams where his chance of earning a Super Bowl ring are better than they would be in Oakland?

MDSteel15
02-18-2011, 07:44 PM
Yes they would be awesome, but at what cost??? :eek1:

LatrobePA
02-18-2011, 09:25 PM
Sign them!

Rampage
02-19-2011, 12:57 PM
I see a 0% chance of Asomugha in the black and gold due to the price tag.

I could see Atogwe being a potential acquisition; however, he probably wouldn't be allowed to step on the field. He wouldn't replace Troy and the team is gung ho on keeping Clark in because he calls the plays.

JollyRob68
02-19-2011, 01:05 PM
We all love Namdi but it aint happening. He'll be a Jet or Eagle, We dont/wont pay.
I'd rather they spent money on grabbing O Lineman Ravens Gaither and/or Yanda or Falcons Clabo and/or Dahl. Cowboys Doug Free & DE Marcus Spears.

BlitzburghRockCity
02-19-2011, 03:23 PM
The Steelers aren't going out and signing a big time Safety so perish that thought. They are of course looking to address CB. We've already talked about Nnamdi; but it's a pipe dream right now, he'll want too much.

coldrolled
02-21-2011, 10:33 AM
I see a 0% chance of Asomugha in the black and gold due to the price tag.

I could see Atogwe being a potential acquisition; however, he probably wouldn't be allowed to step on the field. He wouldn't replace Troy and the team is gung ho on keeping Clark in because he calls the plays.

The Capless Team is looking at him....

O.J. Atogwe to Visit the Redskins
Free agent safety O.J. Atogwe will visit the Washington Redskins on Monday, Howard Balzer of 101 ESPN in St. Louis reports.

Atogwe was released by the St. Louis Rams on Friday, three days before an $8 million roster bonus came due.

A third-round pick out of Stanford by the Rams in 2005, Atogwe has started 75 of 88 games in his six-year NFL career, totaling 390 tackles, 5 quarterback sacks, and 22 interceptions.

LatrobePA
02-21-2011, 10:55 AM
We'll be back next year with the same ole turds, bank on it!!

Rampage
02-21-2011, 11:12 AM
The Capless Team is looking at him....

O.J. Atogwe to Visit the Redskins
Free agent safety O.J. Atogwe will visit the Washington Redskins on Monday, Howard Balzer of 101 ESPN in St. Louis reports.

Atogwe was released by the St. Louis Rams on Friday, three days before an $8 million roster bonus came due.

A third-round pick out of Stanford by the Rams in 2005, Atogwe has started 75 of 88 games in his six-year NFL career, totaling 390 tackles, 5 quarterback sacks, and 22 interceptions.

Snyder is like a kid playing fantasy football, unfortunately, he can't put a team together. I would rather have the Redskins in our division than the Browns because as long as Snyder is there, they will not be a contender.

igor0190
02-21-2011, 12:23 PM
We'll be back next year with the same ole turds, bank on it!!

"Turds" that got us to the Superbowl...

One good draft pick at CB would make the world of difference.

LatrobePA
02-21-2011, 12:49 PM

Yep and the same turds that lost it, OUCH, did I just say that??? YEP! lol

Gay, B-mac - flush them!

Troy, clark - touching cotton!

OMG did I just slam Troy?? Sure did, when they dropped him in coverage he was just as bad!!

coldrolled
02-21-2011, 02:06 PM

But a rookie #5 or #6 ranked CB picked at #31

Do you think they would really start in 2011... i would imagine 2012 the earliest 2013 more realistic...

Thats why i say spend the big dollars on one nice FA CB.. draft pouncey #1 G or rahim moore #1 S...

hears a blib from rahim... sounds like a good steelers player...

First, I would like to give thanks to my Lord and Savior Jesus Christ for blessing me with this opportunity at UCLA. If it wasn't for him, there would be no Rahim Moore. I'm blessed and fortunate to be able to attend a school like UCLA and this is a journey that I will never forget.

I want to thank my mother - my angel - my "grand prize" for the being the great mother she is, for always giving me the guidance throughout my whole life to make me the man I am today. I would like to thank all my coaches, from Pop Warner football all the way through college;

cmerrifield
02-21-2011, 03:40 PM
I dont think a rookie CB would start this year at the beginning of the season. So, I think its either a CB from a 3-4 defense that models LeBeau's or its Butler, Ike, McFadden and whoever we resign. Unfortunately, its the same with safety, so its either Clark or Mundy. I just dont think we will see any rookies starting in the secondary next year regardless of when they are picked.

Deviouz1
02-21-2011, 03:49 PM
But a rookie #5 or #6 ranked CB picked at #31

Do you think they would really start in 2011... i would imagine 2012 the earliest 2013 more realistic...

Thats why i say spend the big dollars on one nice FA CB.. draft pouncey #1 G or rahim moore #1 S...

hears a blib from rahim... sounds like a good steelers player...

First, I would like to give thanks to my Lord and Savior Jesus Christ for blessing me with this opportunity at UCLA. If it wasn't for him, there would be no Rahim Moore. I'm blessed and fortunate to be able to attend a school like UCLA and this is a journey that I will never forget.

I want to thank my mother - my angel - my "grand prize" for the being the great mother she is, for always giving me the guidance throughout my whole life to make me the man I am today. I would like to thank all my coaches, from Pop Warner football all the way through college;

two things.

1)while i agree with you about spending some dough on a proven CB in FA let me remind you that you dont have to be a high 1st rounder to become dominant. Darrel Green was the 28th pick in the '83 draft and has been touted by some as one of the greatest players in history. Mel blount was a 3rd rounder, our own Ike was a 4th rounder, Dick freakinLeBeau was a 5th rounder to cleveland who was cut and picked up as a FA by Detroit where he managed to get himself inducted into the HoF.

2)the stuff that dude said? it sounds like a recording of every NFL player who has been interviewed in the last 20 years. i couldnt care less about his religious practices or if he loves his mum. i want somebody that wants to flatten his opponent and completely dominate an aspect of the game. i want fire. i want drive. i want a dangerous man. i want an attitude that fits in with what the steelers do on the field. everything else is irrelevant.

give me a faster, more agile Jack Lambert on both corners. the WR's will be too terrified to even TRY catching a ball. hell, give me an entire team of Jack Lamberts and no other team will be badass enough to even step onto the field.

erm... sorry bout that tangent. my point is that great players can be found throughout the draft and some way too overhyped players can be found in the 1st rounds. draft position is a decent indicator but it isnt a great predictor. just sayin.

LatrobePA
02-21-2011, 04:00 PM
I get sick of sitting back every year watching other teams spend $ on FA's.

But it's been the same old song and dance so I should be use to it I guess.

cmerrifield
02-21-2011, 04:07 PM
two things.

2)the stuff that dude said? it sounds like a recording of every NFL player who has been interviewed in the last 20 years. i couldnt care less about his religious practices or if he loves his mum. i want somebody that wants to flatten his opponent and completely dominate an aspect of the game. i want fire. i want drive. i want a dangerous man. i want an attitude that fits in with what the steelers do on the field. everything else is irrelevant.

give me a faster, more agile Jack Lambert on both corners. the WR's will be too terrified to even TRY catching a ball. hell, give me an entire team of Jack Lamberts and no other team will be badass enough to even step onto the field.

You may not care, but Tomlin does

Deviouz1
02-21-2011, 04:22 PM
You may not care, but Tomlin does

then he would be willing to draft literally EVERY player interviewed in the last 20 years. if thats all it takes to become a steeler then why on earth would we get rid of bfad and gay? im sure they pray and love their mums too. i just find it kind of sad that just saying some recycled crap like that is what it takes to be a professional NFL player for the Pittsburgh Steelers. maybe thats why we lost the SB. too much praying, not enough action.

cmerrifield
02-21-2011, 04:34 PM
Tomlin doesnt care about what they say per se, but he is a high character guy. He learned it from Dungy, who told the Colts when he got hired that he will miss some talented guys on purpose because character is very important to him. I must say, we have skipped some guys that we all thought were talented in the draft and a year into the league and they are being arrested or suspended. I like the approach myself.

Deviouz1
02-21-2011, 04:58 PM
Tomlin doesnt care about what they say per se, but he is a high character guy. He learned it from Dungy, who told the Colts when he got hired that he will miss some talented guys on purpose because character is very important to him. I must say, we have skipped some guys that we all thought were talented in the draft and a year into the league and they are being arrested or suspended. I like the approach myself.

see now that i can understand. character is one thing. it says something about an organization when it has classy people playing for it. but i have more respect for the "speak softly and carry a big stick" motto. but tell the truth, how many of those shady characters has at some point said something that could be a carbon copy of what i quoted up there? you cant just go by what they say in some stupid interview. you need to look at their actions both on and off the field. if all you go by is what people say in interviews then youre really just making a shot in the dark. saying "i love jesus, and my mum too" doesnt tell you a damn thing other than he's been told what to say. hell, he could be lyin out of his *** and actually be a worshipper of Vishnu and while he may be telling the truth about loving his mum it may be more like he "loves" his mum as in the biblical sense of the word, as in his regular monday night thing.

gum flapping is just that and nothing more, flapping gums that say nothing.

hit 'n run
02-21-2011, 08:02 PM
..while i agree with you about spending some dough on a proven CB in FA let me remind you that you dont have to be a high 1st rounder to become dominant...

-> i want somebody that wants to flatten his opponent and completely dominate an aspect of the game. i want fire. i want drive. i want a dangerous man. <-

...give me a faster, more agile Jack Lambert on both corners. the WR's will be too terrified to even TRY catching a ball....

... my point is that great players can be found throughout the draft and some way too overhyped players can be found in the 1st rounds. draft position is a decent indicator but it isnt a great predictor. just sayin.

__________________________________________________ ________
These points are on target, strongly made, and aptly stated...
I agree with the "boot on neck" modus operandi completely, also your observation that draft position can indicate, but not necessarily accurately predict.

Concerning the "character" and "classy" elements:
Gentlemen - that is another subject and merits a forum thread all its own.
In my opinion.

SteelerDave74
02-21-2011, 09:59 PM
Just for one time, I like to see us make a big splash in FA. Yeah I am dreaming.

Rampage
02-22-2011, 11:17 AM
Just for one time, I like to see us make a big splash in FA. Yeah I am dreaming.

The thing is, this team has brought in guys like Farrior and Clark, so they do make free agent acquisitions. I doubt they will make one this year, but as some veteran players begin to leave, I could see another Farrior come in somewhere on this team.

Farrior Fan
02-22-2011, 10:33 PM
Just saw that OJ is in Wash DC today. Guess who is gonna bend Snyder over behind the woodshed and emerge with a new 9 mill a year contract?

Our only chance is to walk him by the 6 trophys and say "Mr. Atogwe do you want a ring or not?"