PDA

View Full Version : Woodley receives franchise tag...2/23 Update - signs tender offer

Rampage
02-18-2011, 01:44 PM
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/02/18/lamarr-woodley-gets-the-franchise-tag/

No surprise.

cmerrifield
02-18-2011, 01:45 PM
Its has to come from someone other LaCanfora for me to believe it. He is just wrong too many times. I will say I think Woodley will get the tag, but somebody else has to report it for me.

Rampage
02-18-2011, 01:46 PM
Its has to come from someone other LaCanfora for me to believe it. He is just wrong too many times. I will say I think Woodley will get the tag, but somebody else has to report it for me.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=6125994

How about Schefter?

cmerrifield
02-18-2011, 01:47 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=6125994

How about Schefter?

All right, he works. :lol:

Scorp
02-18-2011, 01:52 PM

Will yoi take Scorp's word for it?

cmerrifield
02-18-2011, 01:55 PM
Yes, just not LaCanfora, so far since I have joined SA he has said, Hampton is being traded, Ben is being traded, Horton is going to Dallas, and there have been other times as well. He always quotes a "source close to the situation." It drives me nuts. So, I believe most sports writers and sportscasters. Just not LaCanora

Scorp
02-18-2011, 01:57 PM
Lacanfora needs a nut check yeah.

Rampage
02-18-2011, 01:59 PM
Yes, just not LaCanfora, so far since I have joined SA he has said, Hampton is being traded, Ben is being traded, Horton is going to Dallas, and there have been other times as well. He always quotes a "source close to the situation." It drives me nuts. So, I believe most sports writers and sportscasters. Just not LaCanora

A league source recently shared with me that the Steelers front office is considering making a move in free agency to address a team need. Which need and player(s) was not divulged.

Maybe I can get a job with ESPN.

cmerrifield
02-18-2011, 02:02 PM
A league source recently shared with me that the Steelers front office is considering making a move in free agency to address a team need. Which need and player(s) was not divulged.

Maybe I can get a job with ESPN.

:yesnod: I will be a reference for you and your expert reporting

Rampage
02-18-2011, 02:05 PM
:yesnod: I will be a reference for you and your expert reporting

Alright, I will credit you as a source when things go wrong so I can shift the blame. I'll add you to BleacherReport.com, ProFootballTalk.com, NFL.com, ESPN.com, and an array of forums/blogs; my current list of reputable sources.

DanRooney
02-18-2011, 02:33 PM
Eh, I don't know how I feel about the move but it's better to use it on him than a guy like Jeff Reed.

jpele
02-18-2011, 02:45 PM
No surprises here, I think everyone knew it would happen.

LaMarr Woodley
Thanks 4 all the congrats about the tag.. happy 2 be with the black and gold for another yr.. and hopefully forever

coldrolled
02-18-2011, 02:57 PM
from 550k to 10mil... nice raise.... hope he plays 20 times harder now.

LatrobePA
02-18-2011, 03:00 PM

No kidding!

NHStlrfan
02-18-2011, 03:46 PM
http://www.steelers.com/news/article-1/Steelers-tag-Woodley/8aeb32ab-b211-4167-906a-c5e15f53aee0

BlitzburghRockCity
02-18-2011, 04:32 PM
Definitely a no brainer; either Wood or Taylor were the obvious choices to get it. Now they can focus their efforts on getting Ike signed and the rest of the group they want to bring back. Wood is safe for now, once the majority of the players get inked they'll probably get a deal done by training camp at the latest.

SteelDad
02-18-2011, 05:35 PM
Definitely a no brainer; either Wood or Taylor were the obvious choices to get it. Now they can focus their efforts on getting Ike signed and the rest of the group they want to bring back. Wood is safe for now, once the majority of the players get inked they'll probably get a deal done by training camp at the latest.

Yup! And with that pay raise there will definitely be some added pressure on Wood to 'add some pressure' to the QB.:yesnod:

Scorp
02-20-2011, 12:12 AM
Saturday, February 19, 2011
By Ed Bouchette, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

The Steelers put their franchise tag on linebacker LaMarr Woodley, which may or may not mean anything depending on what occurs in the next collective bargaining agreement.

That designation would, under the old rules, guarantee that Woodley plays for the Steelers another season with his salary determined as the average of the top five linebacker salaries in the league in 2010. A year ago, that was $9.68 million and should range around $10 million in '11. He made $550,000 last season, the fourth and final of the contract he signed as a rookie.

The current CBA expires March 3, and there is no guarantee a franchise tag will exist under the new rules. Without that tag, Woodley would become an unrestricted free agent -- again, provided players in the new CBA can become unrestricted after four seasons.

Woodley was the team's second-round draft choice in 2007 and has started at left outside linebacker the past three seasons. His 39 sacks in his first four seasons with the Steelers is a team record. He made the Pro Bowl after the 2009 season. He has 11 sacks in seven postseason games.

The Steelers hope to work out a long-term contract with Woodley, the way they did with tackle Max Starks after they named him their franchise player in 2009.

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/11050/1126625-66.stm#ixzz1ET962tSw

BlitzburghRockCity
02-20-2011, 02:10 PM
I wouldn't look for the Steelers to be in any rush to get Woodley signed to a long term deal just yet. It will happen before the season starts but now that they have him under wraps they have other personnel to attend too.

BlitzburghRockCity
02-23-2011, 05:25 PM
Woodley accepts Steelers' franchise tag offer
Wednesday, February 23, 2011
By Ed Bouchette, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

LaMarr Woodley has accepted his one-year franchise tender offer, which means he will be guaranteed a salary of about $10 million in 2011 unless he and the Steelers come to terms on a multi-year contract.

The Steelers placed the franchise tag on Woodley last week, guaranteeing that he would not become an unrestricted free agent. As required, the Steelers had to offer him a one-year contract that represents the average of the five highest paid linebackers in the league in 2010.

Woodley, a second-round draft pick in 2007, has 39 sacks, the most by a Steelers player in his first four seasons. He had 10 sacks last season.
More details in tomorrow's Pittsburgh Post-Gazette.

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/11054/1127421-100.stm#ixzz1EosAkyqy

bensshoes
02-23-2011, 06:26 PM

the price increase is equal too what he already did in the Burgh, he wants to be here and this move will speed up long term contract negotiations Woodley has been and will be a great Steeler, as far as the numbers go if he plays here for a long while he may winde up being the greatest Steeler linebacker in a while and thats saying something!