PDA

View Full Version : Mike Pouncey to the Steelers??? ESPN

igor0190
02-17-2011, 12:26 AM
http://espn.go.com/blog/afcnorth/post/_/id/24750/draft-thoughts-from-todd-mcshay

ESPN's draft expert Todd McShay held a conference call Wednesday to discuss college prospects before this month's NFL combine.

Here are his thoughts on several draft topics pertaining to the AFC North:

McShay on the Pittsburgh Steelers' draft needs:

Will former Florida center Mike Pouncey be joining his brother Maurkice in Pittsburgh?"Obviously, the depth on their offensive line is an issue that needs to be addressed. Where they wind up doing it, we'll find out. But they need to continue to bring in players and try to figure out what they're trying to do long-term. I think Flozell Adams played better after he moved to the right side, but he's nearing the end of his career with one more year left on his contract. Willie Colon is probably a better guard than a right tackle. He spent the whole season on [injured reserve] with his Achilles. Jonathan Scott did okay when he was plugged in there, but he's a journeyman-type offensive lineman. So I think that's probably the biggest need area is figuring out what they want to do and what holes they want to address at tackle and guard. Cornerback is another. I think McFadden and [William] Gay are two of the weaker links in that group and need to get better there."

McShay on Florida center/guard Mike Pouncey:

"The problem with Mike Pouncey is he's compared to his brother, Maurkice, and his brother is just at a different level. Mike is a good player, he really is. I know he had some struggles at the center position with the snaps early in the season, and they pretty much got that figured out. But he moves well. I like his feet and I like his potential to play guard and/or center in the NFL. I think when it's all said and done, maybe he comes off the board late first [round]. [B]But I think it's more likely early second round. He has a chance in the right system. With his versatility and his quickness, it really gives him a good chance to become one of the upper-echelon starting interior linemen in the NFL three or four years down the road."

Dee Mca
02-17-2011, 12:42 AM
I don't think we use our first on him and he we be long gone before we draft in the second. Wonder if we be willing to make a deal and move up in the second to take him? To bad he can't just say he wants to play with his brother so don't draft me I won't sign!

Rampage
02-17-2011, 10:51 AM
Talk about a dream draft: Snag Jimmy Smith in the first and then move up in the second to grab Pouncey. I could turn off the rest of the draft and be happy.

Black@Gold Forever32
02-17-2011, 01:00 PM
Smith won't be there when the Steelers pick in the first.....I think he will be the third corner drafted and be taken within the first 20 picks.....

K Train
02-17-2011, 01:21 PM
thats real up in the air imo...he has a chance to be a top 20 pick or a mid second round pick. it all depends on his 40 and his fluidity in drills.

im on board with mike at 31...justin blalock was drafted at 39 and mike is a similar, but better prospect imo

Deviouz1
02-17-2011, 05:07 PM
Talk about a dream draft: Snag Jimmy Smith in the first and then move up in the second to grab Pouncey. I could turn off the rest of the draft and be happy.

+1 but i think that as long as we keep Ike, who isnt the greatest CB out there but is still pretty solid, and Crezdon lives up to his potential all we really need is a solid Nickel and we should be set as far as CB's go. although in my heart i like FS Clark for his hard nosed play i can admit that that position could be upgraded. however, i dont think its as glaring an issue as the Oline.

my personal best case scenario would be draft Mike, use Crezdon in the Nickel, move Ike to 2nd corner and pick up Asmougha from FA. (he has indicated that he wants to go to a SB contender team and of the contenders which one would improve more with his addition? add that to the fact that we made it to the SB without a decent secondary and he may be willing to make a deal for the chance to win it big.) then use the 2nd pick to get the BPA of the remaining DT's or OT's (or both) and from there i really dont care. maybe go with the tried and true and pick up BPA @ LB. Harrison isnt getting any younger and we can always use good line backers.

anyway, just my opinion. :)

K Train
02-17-2011, 05:13 PM
i kinda like him as a LG now, move that big bitch kemo to the right side

steelers4life66
02-17-2011, 07:14 PM
To bad he can't just say he wants to play with his brother so don't draft me I won't sign!

Isn't that kinda what Eli did.

MDSteel15
02-17-2011, 07:54 PM
Isn't that kinda what Eli did.

And John Elway...

K Train
02-17-2011, 09:24 PM
it would be so awesome if they agreed to draft him at 62 and he made it known that he wouldnt sign with anyone else lol

pimplydan
02-17-2011, 09:25 PM
+1 but i think that as long as we keep Ike, who isnt the greatest CB out there but is still pretty solid, and Crezdon lives up to his potential all we really need is a solid Nickel and we should be set as far as CB's go. although in my heart i like FS Clark for his hard nosed play i can admit that that position could be upgraded. however, i dont think its as glaring an issue as the Oline.

my personal best case scenario would be draft Mike, use Crezdon in the Nickel, move Ike to 2nd corner and pick up Asmougha from FA. (he has indicated that he wants to go to a SB contender team and of the contenders which one would improve more with his addition? add that to the fact that we made it to the SB without a decent secondary and he may be willing to make a deal for the chance to win it big.) then use the 2nd pick to get the BPA of the remaining DT's or OT's (or both) and from there i really dont care. maybe go with the tried and true and pick up BPA @ LB. Harrison isnt getting any younger and we can always use good line backers.

anyway, just my opinion. :)
Mike ,Asmougha , BPA , I like that very very very much !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Get real ,OL fixed for may years to come with the 2 bros , Asmougha is shutdown heaven , our 2 weakest positions become our 2 best (or just about )

H3INZFI3LDST33L
02-17-2011, 11:40 PM
Why do the Steelers need to draft offensive linemen? They made it to the SUPERBOWL with mostly back up linemen. When the line is healthy next year, why do they need extras to take up salary and roster spots?

Maybe one OL guy should be drafted this year to continue to replenish.

Next year's line should look like this:

LT Starks (Colon back up)
LG Kemo (Legursky back up)
C Pouncey (Legursky back up)
RG Colon (Legursky back up)
RT Adams (Colon back up)

I'm pretty sure the offensive line will not have the injuries that they had this past year. There's no need for the Steelers to draft OL when they NEED at least ONE solid CB from the draft.

K Train
02-17-2011, 11:59 PM
Colon would never back up the left side, scott/hills/essex/c.scott would take that backup

oline is a big need, and putting all your money on 14 year vet flozell at RT is a mistake

colon is not athletic enough to play guard for us, me might "profile" there better size wise but his skill set is that of a RT.

kemoeatu is ****ing terrible

legs is the best backup center we have, but foster is a far superior guard backup

crezdon butler is the truth....just wait and see, CB wont be such a huge need in a year

K Train
02-17-2011, 11:59 PM
Colon would never back up the left side, scott/hills/essex/c.scott would take that backup

oline is a big need, and putting all your money on 14 year vet flozell at RT is a mistake

colon is not athletic enough to play guard for us, me might "profile" there better size wise but his skill set is that of a RT.

kemoeatu is ****ing terrible

legs is the best backup center we have, but foster is a far superior guard backup

crezdon butler is the truth....just wait and see, CB wont be such a huge need in a year

igor0190
02-18-2011, 12:09 AM

I like hearing that... I hope your right.

Scorp
02-18-2011, 12:23 AM
I like hearing that... I hope your right.

KT knows his **** bro.

Deviouz1
02-18-2011, 01:17 AM
Why do the Steelers need to draft offensive linemen? They made it to the SUPERBOWL with mostly back up linemen.

personally i would say IN SPITE OF the O-line and secondary and if you cant see the need for Oline... i mean ben does hold on to it for too long and tends to put his line in a bad position but that pick six was because Kemo got freakin MAULED 1v1 and unless im mistaken Kemo is a starter, yes? and he's WAY better than Essex will ever be. the game is won in the trenches and a good line can make everyone around them better.

and our defense isnt what lost the SB.

:imho:

Mr. Goosemahn
02-18-2011, 01:56 AM
personally i would say IN SPITE OF the O-line and secondary and if you cant see the need for Oline... i mean ben does hold on to it for too long and tends to put his line in a bad position but that pick six was because Kemo got freakin MAULED 1v1 and unless im mistaken Kemo is a starter, yes? and he's WAY better than Essex will ever be. the game is won in the trenches and a good line can make everyone around them better.

and our defense isnt what lost the SB.

:imho:

This...not so much the secondary, they actually held up pretty well for the second half of the season, but the O-line is just terrible.

We've got above average tackles and average guards, plus a stud. That just doesn't cut it. Starks, Kemoeatu, Essex, Adams, those guys aren't improving anymore, they've had 6 seasons to do so and they're as good right now as they'll ever be in the future. If we really care about rebuilding the offensive line, we'd cut our losses with all those four guys (that's a $16,240,000 cap hit for Starks, Kemo, and Adams, since Essex has no deal), and aggressively pursue other players.

Sign Jared Gaither and Marshal Yanda and draft Mike Pouncey. In the end, I think you'd wind up investing basically the same amount of money (cap hit wise, let's say $2,000,000 initially for Mike, $6,000,000 for Yanda, and $9,000,000 for Gaither) but significantly better talent.

Gaither - Mi. Pouncey - Ma. Pouncey - Yanda - Colon

That's two Pro-Bowl quality players in Maurkice and Yanda, with Colon being a solid RT, Gaither being a good LT, and Mike having Pro-Bowl potential too.

But of course, things like these will never happen because we like to build from within the organization.

Deviouz1
02-18-2011, 03:11 AM
i would tend to agree with the line bit but imo that secondary is hurting more than that. i mean Ike is a decent CB, solid if you prefer, above average if you insist but i think people get blinded by the poor play of the others and yeah, compared to the other CB's weve recently fielded Ike is a badass. but really, why would opposing QB's opt to test him when they know there are two other CB's who, at times look like theyre just kind of bumbling around aimlessly? Ike couldnt catch a cold if you dunked him in a vat of snot. i hear people praising him left and right like he's the next Mel Blount and i gotta be honest, i just dont get it. to be a "great" or "awesome" CB, not to mention HoF candidate) you gotta have ball skills which is easily his weakest attribute.

now while i do think crezdon is gonna be pretty damn good, im not as convinced as others that he's going to be anything like the next D.Sanders whereas Asmougha is without question a rare talent. and i know the steelers are dead set against going to free agency for talent but in this case i think he would make all the difference in the world considering the draft prospects and how deep the CB's are this year especially if Crezdon lives up to the hype. assuming that they could be the best tandem in the NFL, rivaling if not flat out beating the revis/cromartie duo. then we could flat drop Ike (or use him in the nickel) and actually have a truly formidible secondary especially if we could transition gay or bfad to FS.

that would effectively FIX the secondary without ever even touching the draft which could then be used for the trenches and BPA's.

SB bound baby. maybe even relieve Miami '72 of that pesky record of theirs.

pimplydan
02-18-2011, 11:19 PM
I love to hear optimist comments like this . Maybe Crezdon Butler is the real deal ,I like his physic , and he does seem to be fast .

igor0190
02-19-2011, 11:14 AM
KT knows his **** bro.

Yeah, although maybe he was partially wrong about Ziggy? He seems to be learning and getting better. :thinking:

I definately pay attention to his opinions though, and I'm sure he's :banana: Frank Summers is history. lol

We still need a DB in round 1 or 2... They would be crazy not to address our secondary early in this draft. If 2 of the 3 highest picks in this draft aren't DB and OL I will :cursin:

I still like the best player available model the Steelers use for the most part, and if a WR is there early and of very high value, I wouldnt be against it.