PDA

View Full Version : Chuck Cecil interviews for Secondary

SteelCityKid5
02-16-2011, 09:39 PM
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/02/16/chuck-cecil-interviews-with-steelers/

Hell its a step up from Ray Horton in my eyes.

acero
02-17-2011, 01:15 AM
if they get it done looks like a good move, lets wait and see

Mike Tomlin
02-17-2011, 01:19 AM
Perfect guy for us he was a physical player and he's looking to coach a physical team. He did a great job with a bunch of average guys in the secondary over in Tennessee

acero
02-17-2011, 01:33 AM
also he could have an input having a different view for the draft that comes from another team

jpele
02-17-2011, 07:54 AM
This should thrill Roger & his flag throwers.

http://www.imagehosting.gr/out.php/i1521210_chuckcecil.jpg (http://imagehosting.gr)

Cecil is regarded as among the most vicious hitters in National Football League history. Chuck Cecil was featured on the October 11, 1993 issue of Sports Illustrated with the question: "Is Chuck Cecil Too Vicious for the NFL?"[7] Many photos taken of Cecil during games showed him with a bloodied nose.

BlitzburghRockCity
02-17-2011, 08:50 AM
Horton wasn't a bad coach, but consider what he had to work with. He had Troy who gets free reign to do pretty much whatever comes into his head. Ryan clark who is looking to take somebody's head off every chance he gets. However at CB other than Taylor he's had to try and work with BMac who was hurt most of the year and got picked on constantly. Gay who got picked on constantly, and then a host of young players.

Cecil, hell I wouldn't mind seeing him come in at all and be our secondary coach.

LatrobePA
02-17-2011, 08:59 AM
Perfect guy for us he was a physical player and he's looking to coach a physical team. He did a great job with a bunch of average guys in the secondary over in Tennessee

Let's hope we get him so he can do some good things with our average guys...

cmerrifield
02-17-2011, 09:17 AM
Our Oline improved this year with worse players and more injuries because of a new coach. Sometimes it just takes someone else coming in and changing a few things to bring the most out of the players. Maybe the new DB coach can bring a fresh perspective that will help the secondary.

LatrobePA
02-17-2011, 09:31 AM
This should thrill Roger & his flag throwers.

http://www.imagehosting.gr/out.php/i1521210_chuckcecil.jpg (http://imagehosting.gr)

Cecil is regarded as among the most vicious hitters in National Football League history. Chuck Cecil was featured on the October 11, 1993 issue of Sports Illustrated with the question: "Is Chuck Cecil Too Vicious for the NFL?"[7] Many photos taken of Cecil during games showed him with a bloodied nose.

This could be the gayest picture I've seen in some time!!

Rampage
02-17-2011, 10:44 AM
This could be the gayest picture I've seen in some time!!

Makes me think of Let's Go To Prison: "What's wrong with your friend? Is he trying to take a sh*t?"

I have to say I would not mind the acquisition, though. Or this team could go out and get Prime Time. Hell, he could probably step in and play corner at a high level...

Mike Tomlin
02-17-2011, 12:41 PM
Let's hope we get him so he can do some good things with our average guys...

Exactly what I was thinking, As far as Deon goes not all players make great coaches and I'm sure he's one of them.lol

SteelDad
02-17-2011, 01:22 PM
You can't blame Horton anymore than you can blame LeBeau for the poor secondary. You can only coach who you have available. I think at the very least, Cecil coud provide some different things in terms of scheme and aggressiveness.

SteelCityKid5
02-17-2011, 02:35 PM
I was thinking adding Cecil would sway our draft plans in a different direction.

Rampage
02-17-2011, 02:48 PM
I was thinking adding Cecil would sway our draft plans in a different direction.

Pull an Oakland and draft a kicker in the first round?

LatrobePA
02-17-2011, 04:14 PM
Pull an Oakland and draft a kicker in the first round?

We already kinda did that spending a 4th on an OK punter...

Please draft needs this year not value...

SteelDad
02-17-2011, 04:30 PM
We already kinda did that spending a 4th on an OK punter...

Please draft needs this year not value...

Nail meet head....

Goodfrom55
02-17-2011, 04:36 PM
Not sure whose doing it was, but IMO, the coverage for most of the year and in the SB was way too soft. Safeties were at times 20 yards off the LOS, and the CB's were at times 12 yards off - on 3rd and 8 (for example). WHoever the new secondary coach turns out to be, I just hope he ingrains a sense of aggression in these guys or whoever's there in 2011.
__________________________________________________ _______________________
Janikowski was drafted in the 2nd round by the Raiders. I still say go after Alex Henery from Nebraska (Groza award winner in 2011). Only miss all season was from 50+. Converted 18-19 FG's otherwise.

jnes1216
02-17-2011, 07:28 PM
Cecil would definitely bring an aggressive approach to the secondary, see Finnegan. But would he be trumped by LeBeau and have the corners play off is the question.

Surprised Steelers interviewed him with the emphasis on having a clean image etc etc. Didn't Cecil flip someone off during a game this year? Don't recall the details. That doesn't bother me but FO wants angels now it seems.

bensshoes
02-17-2011, 08:32 PM
we just need a decent coach too fill the spot and have a valid opinion, Coach Lebeau will value the input. as far as drafting the best player for the spot I say keep it up as we've been to 3 superbowls in 6 years and nobody else has so we must be doing something right!

Mr. Goosemahn
02-18-2011, 01:35 AM
Not sure whose doing it was, but IMO, the coverage for most of the year and in the SB was way too soft. Safeties were at times 20 yards off the LOS, and the CB's were at times 12 yards off - on 3rd and 8 (for example). WHoever the new secondary coach turns out to be, I just hope he ingrains a sense of aggression in these guys or whoever's there in 2011.

CB's have to line up according to the play and the safety's assignment, it's not their choice. If it's man coverage, then they have to line up farther away from the receiver to prevent getting burned. If it's zone and the CB has the top, then they can line up closer to the line of scrimmage.

We need another talented man corner to play with Ike, because when Ike lines up way from the line of scrimmage, he takes very little time to get to the receiver in short routes; he's got great closing speed. William Gay......not so much. Still, a 2,3 yard completion is a bad completion, it really is a wasted pass. It's basically a mediocre run. I'll take those short passes all day long, they never add up to anything.

See Roddy White's performance from our game vs. Atlanta. Box score indicates he completely raped our defense but in reality, he did absolutely no damage.

edit: as for good man corners this upcoming draft, look no further than Colorado's Jimmy Smith or Miami's Brandon Harris. Those guys constantly lined up against #1 WR's and locked sh*t down. Except Michael Floyd, Harris struggled against him.

Rampage
02-18-2011, 12:35 PM
I really think this team is going to need to address man/press coverage or be okay with very few cracks at the Super Bowl.

Think about it. If the Steelers make the playoffs, chances are that they will encounter San Diego, Indianapolis, or New England: Three teams that can spread out a defense and expose zone defenses. Just like in business, this coaching staff and front office needs to be proactive. They need to address this problem because it is not going to go away. Teams have found the Achilles heel of the Steelers and that is man coverage against a spread offense.

jpele
02-18-2011, 01:48 PM
Here are some potential candidates:

Chuck Cecil: Has reportedly interviewed with the Steelers, according to ESPN.com. Spent past two seasons as Tennessee Titans defensive coordinator. Also served as Tennessee's secondary coach from '07-08 and safeties and nickel backs coach from '04-06. Fiery individual who played safety and was considered among the most vicious hitters in league history.

• Lionel Washington: Washington coached Oakland's defensive backs the past two seasons. He was let go earlier this week when the Raiders hired Hall of Famer and former Steelers cornerback Rod Woodson. In his first NFL coaching stint, Washington was a nickel back/cornerbacks assistant with Green Bay from '99-08 before being replaced by former Steelers assistant Darren Perry. Played defensive back for 15 seasons with the St. Louis Cardinals, Denver and Raiders twice.

• Donnie Henderson: One of Horton's first moves as Arizona's defensive coordinator was replacing Henderson and making longtime Cincinnati Bengals assistant Louie Cioffi his new secondary coach. Prior to the Cardinals, Henderson coached Jacksonville's defensive backs in '08 and had brief stints as a defensive coordinator with Detroit and the New York Jets.

• Corwin Brown: Departed New England after only one season as secondary coach focusing on safety play. Also coached New York Jets secondary and was an assistant under Charlie Weis at Notre Dame.

• Joe Woods: He's been Minnesota's secondary coach since '06, where he followed Tomlin from Tampa Bay. Tomlin was the Vikings' defensive coordinator for one season before taking over the Steelers; it was rumored that Woods would join Tomlin in Pittsburgh at that time. Woods is expected to have an expanded role under Vikings coach Leslie Frazier. He recently interviewed for the Philadelphia Eagles defensive coordinator opening that went to Juan Castillo.

Read more: Steelers anxious to fill coaching position - Pittsburgh Tribune-Review http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_723454.html#ixzz1EL0G7jv8

Rampage
02-18-2011, 02:08 PM
Cecil, Washington, and Woods would be my primary candidates.

hit 'n run
02-18-2011, 02:25 PM
...Cecil, with an abundance of PR caution....

LatrobePA
02-18-2011, 02:26 PM
I'm anxious for them to clear one!

SteelDad
02-18-2011, 04:33 PM
Cecil would be #1 and Brown #2 since he is a Michigan Man:)

Real Deal Steel
02-18-2011, 10:56 PM
I agree. We need to get more man coverage and be good at it. It's just the way the game is going now. But we can high the best secondary coach in the league but it won't mean a thing if we don't upgrade the personnel.

We need to add atleast one more real cover corner who can play opposite Taylor.

BlitzburghRockCity
02-19-2011, 06:59 PM
I like Cecil's attitude. He's a tough guy, vocal, and a motivator. As long as he would be on board with Lebeau and Tomlin's philosophy he could be a good fit.

andyg1984
02-19-2011, 09:14 PM
yeah, whoever it is better be compatible with butler too

BlitzburghRockCity
02-20-2011, 09:46 PM
I would look for the Steelers to make a move pretty soon here, definitely before the draft. They'll want that person's input along with Lebeau's in improving our secondary.

SteelerCountry58
02-20-2011, 11:01 PM
I like Cecil's attitude. He's a tough guy, vocal, and a motivator. As long as he would be on board with Lebeau and Tomlin's philosophy he could be a good fit.
:yesnod: Thats what I'm talking about too. Bring him on board.

acero
02-21-2011, 12:01 AM
i like cecil, although they are looking at a viking coach too and coaches tend to reach for people they know well and is natural i guess so i wouldnt get my hopes too high on cecil, for now

--- Added 2/20/2011 at 11:01 PM ---

on the other hand tomlin has sign up some coaches that havent been around him

steelchamp204
02-21-2011, 12:35 AM
any new updates on this? Hopefully its soon.

jpele
02-21-2011, 06:51 PM
any new updates on this? Hopefully its soon.

Mike Tomlin has only one opening to fill on his staff, and the Steelers coach said today that he is in “no hurry” to fill it.

The Steelers need a new defensive backs coach following the loss of Ray Horton to the Arizona Cardinals.

Tomlin said he has only done “research” in regard to replacing Horton, who left a couple of weeks ago to become the Cardinals' defensive coordinator. Tomlin said he has not interviewed any possible replacements even though former Tennessee Titans defensive coordinator Chuck Cecil reportedly interviewed for the job.

“I know that was reported but I have not interviewed Chuck,” Tomlin said.

Tomlin said he expects every other coach on last season’s staff to return. The uncertain labor situation may be the biggest reason why Tomlin is taking his time in hiring a new defensive backs coach.

The collective bargaining agreement (CBA) ends after Mach 3, and if the owners lock out the players most NFL business, including offseason workouts and practices, will be put on hold.

“I want to make sure that we hire the right man,” Tomlin said in regard to the one opening on his staff, “and that has no timetable.”

Read more: Steelers taking time in hiring new defensive backs coach - Pittsburgh Tribune-Review http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_723952.html#ixzz1EdmG62Ft

BlitzburghRockCity
02-22-2011, 03:20 PM
I would hope he signs someone before the draft, even if he is in "no hurry" I'm sure he has a short list of candidates he is interested in. You don't want to try and fill your coaching positions after the draft when you have OTA's coming up.