PDA

View Full Version : Frank "the Tank" gone

cmerrifield
02-16-2011, 11:02 AM
Frank Summers has been signed by San Diego according to Ed at PG. Not really any sadness from me. I thought he was even a waste of a practice squad member.

BlitzburghRockCity
02-16-2011, 11:38 AM
Given the fact that he was more of a true Full Back, he wasn't going to have a good chance of making in impact in our offense anyways. Frank The Tank though, you gotta love that nickname :lol:

Phenomenal TJ
02-16-2011, 12:33 PM
I had high hopes of him coming out of college. Sure enough though, as soon as I saw that getting him didn't mean going with a traditional fullback, I lost said hopes.

SteelCityKid5
02-16-2011, 02:50 PM
We need ore depth at the RB position.

Phenomenal TJ
02-16-2011, 03:05 PM
We need ore depth at the RB position.

Why, though? The only team that I've seen run a three back system was Dallas, and it didn't work out too well with them.

We've got Mendenhall, Redman, and Dwyer, plus an option to re-negotiate Moore's contract. And Summers was more of true fullback anyway.

K Train
02-16-2011, 03:56 PM
he was the worst....ive never not been infuriated with him while he was on the field. he was a runner, not a blocker....and not even a good runner

coldrolled
02-16-2011, 04:26 PM
he was the worst....ive never not been infuriated with him while he was on the field. he was a runner, not a blocker....and not even a good runner

We shall see if its Arians and his great confidence building and love for a FB... or if Summers was really only a big college runner at UNLV and thats it. We will all be keeping an eye on him im sure.

LatrobePA
02-16-2011, 04:40 PM
I'll miss those cornrows planted on top of his 5'-4" frame! lol

Goodfrom55
02-16-2011, 05:24 PM
This thread is a true testament to how bored we all must be. To talk about a guy who never even played a single game in 2 or 3 years. . .Good Luck in SanDiego - except vs the Steelers.

RB is not an issue in Pittsburgh, and hopefully won't be for about 8 to 10 years.

coldrolled
02-16-2011, 09:06 PM
Frank declined to sign....

Running back Frank Summers, a fifth-round draft pick of the Steelers in 2009, has signed a contract with the San Diego Chargers as a free agent.

Summers made the team as a rookie and played in two games, starting one before they put him on injured reserve with a back injury that required surgery. He lost out the past season to rookie halfback Jonathan Dwyer on the 53-man roster and spent 2010 on their practice squad. He declined to sign a contract after the season.

igor0190
02-17-2011, 12:29 AM
Good... Maybe we'll actually draft a "true fullback" this year. They don't go high in the draft anyways. Use a 5th or 6th and stick them on the practice squad for a year.

Mr. Goosemahn
02-17-2011, 03:28 AM
Yeah, he probably figured he just wasn't going to get a lot of carries with us. He'd be behind Mendy, Redman, Dwyer, and DJ.

Plus, he's from the west coast, probably was happy to get a call from over there. Sad to never have seen him as a runner, could be a solid contributor for SD down the line, as they have a knack for developing runners out of mid-late round talents.

coldrolled
02-17-2011, 08:04 AM
Good... Maybe we'll actually draft a "true fullback" this year. They don't go high in the draft anyways. Use a 5th or 6th and stick them on the practice squad for a year.

With Arians, why would we waste a draft pick on a FB?

if arians stays we need to draft 5 OL players #1 - #5.. his pass plays dont work without a pass protecting oline that can hold and give ben time and he obviously wont change his game plans to help out his weaker OL or attack the other teams weaker side, so we need to draft all OL if he is staying? then go free agency on some Defensive holes. :imho:

LatrobePA
02-17-2011, 08:49 AM
Draft 4 more WR's and cut all but one RB, BA will love it.

Rampage
02-17-2011, 10:47 AM
Draft 4 more WR's and cut all but one RB, BA will love it.

Even better, we can go to the no protection offense. Pouncey can still play center, but instead of the four other o-linemen, the Steelers can go to a nine wideout set.

LatrobePA
02-17-2011, 10:55 AM
Even better, we can go to the no protection offense. Pouncey can still play center, but instead of the four other o-linemen, the Steelers can go to a nine wideout set.

"championship"

jnes1216
02-17-2011, 07:35 PM
thank you san diego.

Deviouz1
02-17-2011, 07:51 PM

ROFLomglol

coach
02-21-2011, 10:10 PM
Too bad nobody wanted BA....... It could have been a great day.

greg1964
02-22-2011, 08:55 AM
Loved the nick name "the Tank" coming after the "BUS" but with Mendenhall, Redmen, Dwyer and possible Moore, Tank was NEVER going to see the field unless there was a ton or injuries.

With Mendenhall ability to catch the ball and block on 3rd downs, Moore might now be back.

Farrior Fan
02-22-2011, 10:44 PM

Rampage - STOP IT! How do you know for certain that BA doesn't read this forum? He may see this and actually try it.:lol:

--- Added 2/22/2011 at 09:44 PM ---

I can't remember which game it was but the "tank" was acting as a FB and ran right by the 1st guy he was supposed to block. I knew right then and there that he was not Steeler material. Can someone find Krieder?

Nolrog
02-23-2011, 06:49 AM
Given the fact that he was more of a true Full Back, he wasn't going to have a good chance of making in impact in our offense anyways. Frank The Tank though, you gotta love that nickname :lol:

I thought that a full back was something they could use though, to help open holes. Would be better than putting a WR in motion to try and clear space (especially when you need to power for half a yard or so.)

cmerrifield
02-23-2011, 07:53 AM

Why use Pouncey, Ben could just hold the ball out and say "hike" like we did when we were kids. Then would could have a 10 WR set.