PDA

View Full Version : Will the Steelers tag any of their free agents?

pimplydan
02-15-2011, 09:36 PM
Looking around the NFL , teams are starting to put Tag's on players .

1. Colts....Manning

2.Eagles...Vick

3.Jets......Harris

4.Chargers.....Jackson

Do you think we will hear that the steelers do the same with .......Woodley ?

Do you hope so ?................................................. .........I do !!!!

BlitzburghRockCity
02-16-2011, 09:29 AM
We talked about this on the podcast last night too; Ike Taylor IMO would be a slightly higher priority because of the problems with our secondary overall. Letting him go could be a nightmare to try and fix just in the draft. Bringing in a free agent of his caliber or better would be quite expensive too so it would be better overall if they can keep him.
Ike will get a lot of attention from teams around the league if he does hit the open market at some point.

If they are going to tag anyone it would be either Wood or Taylor. I'm not opposed to either one but the closer this CBA gets and the fact that they aren't talking to any of them means at some point they will put a tag on one of them just to buy more time to work out deals for all the players they want to keep.

Ibleedblk&gld
02-16-2011, 10:09 AM
i got a text yesterday saying the steelers were going to tag woodley

AdamSchefter: No surprise but Pittsburgh will place its franchise tag on LB LaMarr Woodley. It has until Feb 23 to do so

that was last night at 7:01pm

Mr. Goosemahn
02-16-2011, 12:30 PM

AdamSchefter: No surprise but Pittsburgh will place its franchise tag on LB LaMarr Woodley. It has until Feb 23 to do so

Yeah, he mentioned it yesterday. Right thing to do, too, as he'll get a much larger contract than Taylor, be it from us or from another team.

I don't expect Woodley to sign it, it's probably just precautionary given the lack of CBA, as basically no free agent will be able to resign under the current conditions.

pimplydan
02-16-2011, 02:28 PM
http://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/2011/2/16/1996467/btsc-steelers-six-pack-franchise-tag-used-on-pro-bowl-linebacker

Here it is , almost official !

so now I guess the next thing to do is sign Ike Taylor asap....

steelersbabex25
02-16-2011, 03:38 PM

Woodley must be ecstatic about that.

BlitzburghRockCity
02-16-2011, 04:47 PM
It's a smart move if this indeed true. They won't rush into anything we know that, so whatever timetable they have in mind they'll stick to it. Tagging one of them is a no brainer and either way it's a win for the team to be able to work out a deal with the other while having 1 secured.

Goodfrom55
02-16-2011, 06:28 PM
I really don't believe he cares. he gets paid top 5 money and hopefully the Steelers can work out a contract for him soon. Of the 2 (Harrison and Woody), I see them allowing Harrison to leave before Woody with age being the big factor.

cmerrifield
02-17-2011, 08:37 AM
I think Woodley knows that he is in the ideal place. I think he wants to stay in Pittsburgh and so if he is franchised that gives him more power in the negotiations because the Steelers cant afford that cap hit. Also, Taylor said before the SB that he wants to retire a Steeler and so there is probably less chance he would be enticed with money, knowing the Steelers want to resign him.