PDA

View Full Version : Hall of Famer Woodson joins Raiders staff as DB coach

jpele
02-14-2011, 03:53 PM
The Oakland Raiders have hired Hall of Famer Rod Woodson to tutor defensive backs under new coach Hue Jackson, the team announced on Monday.

Woodson, best known for his 10 seasons with the Steelers from 1987-96, made the Pro Bowl 11 times -- a record for a defensive back. The 1993 defensive player of the year owns NFL records with 12 interceptions returned for touchdowns and 1,483 yards on interception returns, even though his 71 career interceptions were only third-best. He also returned kicks early in his career.

Woodson moved on with the San Francisco 49ers in 1997 and then to Baltimore a year later. Woodson played four seasons with the Ravens, switching to safety in 1999 and finally winning a Super Bowl during the 2000 season with one of the best defenses in NFL history.

Woodson also played two seasons with the Raiders before retiring in 2004. He was inducted into the Pro Football Hall of Fame in Canton, Ohio, on Aug. 8, 2009.

Since 2004, Woodson has been an in-studio analyst with NFL Network.

Linkhttp://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d81e4d6a3/article/hall-of-famer-woodson-joins-raiders-staff-as-db-coach

I wonder if we even gave him a thought ?

steelersbabex25
02-14-2011, 04:02 PM
:cursin::evilshake::banging::fcs::rant2:

Real Deal Steel
02-14-2011, 04:15 PM
Great for him. I knew that he was interested but I didn't know he was really ready to jump into it! I'm kinda embarrassed by this because If anyone should have hired him, it should have been us instead of the Raiders. Especially the way our secondary has been getting lit up.

Big T
02-14-2011, 04:17 PM
There's already a thread about it. Plus your title is confusing. Sounds like we hired him

SteelDad
02-14-2011, 04:36 PM
Great players don't always make great coaches, but I wish Rod the best. My guess is that he left NFL Network to get away from Deion and Faulk so more power to him.

BlitzburghRockCity
02-14-2011, 04:48 PM
I liked hearing Rod's commentary on NFLN, he was never a Steeler homer but he did call it properly when it came to analyzing Steeler football in general. I wish him the best too, clearly his best years were as a Steeler and he will always be one to us.

Phenomenal TJ
02-14-2011, 05:11 PM
Good for him. Wishing him the best.

http://steelhurtin.com/2011/02/14/steelers-hall-of-famer-rod-woodson-is-now-oakland-raiders-secondary-coach/

bensshoes
02-14-2011, 05:45 PM
Rod inturned with the Bengals last year so hes been through hell, should be on the Steeler staff but Mikey T will have some inputon our D-backs as he was a hell-of-a D-backs coach!

SteelCityKid5
02-14-2011, 05:57 PM
Im actually surprised now that I think of it. No homer, but you'd think since we needed a secondary coach and how DLB and Woodson love each other DLB would have entertained the thought of Woodson joining the Stees staff. Ha, oh well good luck Rod!

LarryNJ
02-14-2011, 07:29 PM
Great players don't always make great coaches, but I wish Rod the best. My guess is that he left NFL Network to get away from Deion and Faulk so more power to him.

I agree with this. In fact more times than not they make bad coaches. I also wish him the best he's a great guy.

The getting away from the other 2 is very possible. :lol:

jpele
02-14-2011, 07:57 PM
There's already a thread about it. Plus your title is confusing. Sounds like we hired him

How does this title (Hall of Famer Woodson joins Raiders staff as DB coach) confuse anyone into thinking we hired him ?

Like SteelDad said ,"not all good players make good coaches" Also Rod lives in Oakland and has a lot of kids at home.