PDA

View Full Version : Remembering Three Rivers Stadium, Feb. 11, 2001

BlitzburghRockCity
02-13-2011, 10:26 AM
It was a snowy day in Central Pennsylvania when my wife and I, along with a friend of ours set out on a day trip to Pittsburgh. I remember it like it was yesterday; tired as all get out from a long day of work but we were determined to arrive in Pittsburgh in time to see good ole Three Rivers Stadium be torn down to give way to then still under construction, Heinz Field. Mile after mile we headed up the Pennsylvania Turnpike, taking turns driving because we could barely keep our eyes open. Granted it's only a 3.5 hour drive normally but when you're tired it seems like an eternity. We arrived in Pittsburgh about 5:30am, a longer trip than normal due to the weather conditions. After stopping off for some breakfast in Monroeville we headed downtown to witness the last few minutes of such an iconic establishment in sports history.

Since it's opening on July 16, 1970, TRS was home to the Steelers and bared witness to 4 Super Bowl Championship teams, and great plays such as the Immaculate Reception. There was something magical about Three Rivers that made it special. Sometimes nicknamed "the big ash tray" due to it's design, it held many memories for Steelers players and fans who entered it's gates on Sunday afternoons. It wasn't the most palatial of venues for an NFL team by any stretch, but it symbolized a city and it's beloved team much like Heinz Field does now. Funneling the noise from the 59,000 dedicated fans that filled the seats on gameday, it was a sight and sound to behold and memory to keep forever for anyone that ever waived a Terrible Towel there. We could go on and on about all the great games that were played and all the Hall of Fame players and Coaches who entertained us over the years. Suffice it to say that all Steeler fans who had the privilege to attend an event in TRS will hold onto those memories forever.

We somehow found a parking space on a side street not too far from the Point, and made our way through the crowd to get as close as we could to the edge of the water. I was determined to get a few lasting pictures before it came tumbling down. We made it to a good spot by about 7:30am, 30 minutes to spare. The crowd was bustling as people were talking about games they had attended, plays they remember, and tailgates with fellow fans. Some were thinking of how they could sneak over later that week to grab a piece of the rubble that would soon be all too plentiful. Others were talking about what Heinz Field would be like on opening day. The conversations were plenty and by this time the 6 coffee's we had consumed along with a healthy dose of adrenaline were finally kicking in. As the last minutes were ticking off the clock the crowd started to cheer and wave their Terrible Towels, waving goodbye to a Pittsburgh icon that stood for over 30 years. As the stadium began to come down, tears were shed, cheers were heard, and Three Rivers Stadium had finally given way to the future.

The excitement of that day gave us more than enough energy for the trip home, which by the way we headed for as soon as it was over. 4.5 hours driving each way for about 30 seconds of visual stimulus; but you know...I'd do it all over again.

(http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gtzQBBJdvjs)http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gtzQBBJdvjs
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E0Rh1ZKhn6A (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E0Rh1ZKhn6A&feature=related)

steelersbabex25
02-13-2011, 11:26 AM
This reminds me..when are they gonna get rid of the Igloo? I kinda wish they wouldn't. When I was in Pittsburgh we visited Consol Energy and it was really cool with Mellon in the background.

SteelDad
02-13-2011, 11:30 AM
Great read BRC! I attended the final game at 3RS against the Redskins and it seems almost hilarious to recall some of the names from that game like Jeff George, Hank Poteat and Brent Alexander to name a few. Steelers won 24-3 and entered the game with little hope of making the playoffs but frankly, no one cared. All the greats turned out for the game and walked along the outer walls of the field slapping 5 with the fans. You could tell what the place meant to those guys as they walked around soaking it all in. Fans were great for the most part that day. Few trying to grab some signs or rip out seats, but overall a great experience.

BlitzburghRockCity
02-13-2011, 11:59 AM
I remember that game, the fireworks going off all around the stadium when the game was over. The fans waiving their towels, people just enjoying how much TRS meant to them. The names in that game certainly weren't legendary but the people on the sidelines and the memories sure were...

igor0190
02-13-2011, 01:53 PM
This reminds me..when are they gonna get rid of the Igloo? I kinda wish they wouldn't. When I was in Pittsburgh we visited Consol Energy and it was really cool with Mellon in the background.

They need some restaurants and bars in that area in the worst way.... Hopefully they create a strip of places there.

pimplydan
02-13-2011, 02:47 PM
http://www.pro-football-reference.com/boxscores/199512160pit.htm

This was my first and only visit to three rivers stadium . Man what a game , you know how exciting it is when your defense scores TDs .

First row on the 5yd line , I was in heaven , a day I will never forget . Hit I believe was a hooters type resto after the game the whole city was rocking.

Oh yes ,went to Rod Woodsons bar and grill , I believe it was . I bought a nice steelers leather jacket , I wore for years , still have it .

TRS was really loud , it was amazing being in the home of my beloved Pittsburgh Steelers .

Just felt like sharing my experience there . You guys remember that game ?

SteelDad
02-13-2011, 05:15 PM
http://www.pro-football-reference.com/boxscores/199512160pit.htm

This was my first and only visit to three rivers stadium . Man what a game , you know how exciting it is when your defense scores TDs .

First row on the 5yd line , I was in heaven , a day I will never forget . Hit I believe was a hooters type resto after the game the whole city was rocking.

Oh yes ,went to Rod Woodsons bar and grill , I believe it was . I bought a nice steelers leather jacket , I wore for years , still have it .

TRS was really loud , it was amazing being in the home of my beloved Pittsburgh Steelers .

Just felt like sharing my experience there . You guys remember that game ?

That was a classic!! I remember the 4th quarter thinking 'Ya!' 'No! 'Ya!' 'No!' and then we eventually pulled away on the big play by Oldham.

Scorp
02-13-2011, 05:57 PM
Thanks for the read Bro. One day i will make my trip to Pittsburgh P.A.

LarryNJ
02-13-2011, 11:01 PM
Great day that I missed. I was living in Penn Hills at the time but I didn't go down to see it fall. I'm not sure why I didn't. I did go to the last Pirates game and the last Steelers game. I remember that like it was yesterday. It was a rainy Saturday morning, my daughter was 10 years old and she figure skated. Early that morning we drove down to Washington Pa to have her skates sharped. We alaways went there because there was this old man who was a true craftsman. He sharped the blades by hand and was well worth the long drive there. Anyway on our way back as we were driving through the Fort Pitt tunnels I said lauren do you want to go to the last Steelers game at 3 Rivers? She was all for it. My plan was to park and try and find some tickets but it was raining pretty hard and I didn't feel like parking so we rode around the stadium area. Many scalpers were out trying to get $150 - $200 a ticket. There was no way I was spending $300-$400 to go to a game. I almost gave up when the rain slowed down so we parked and walked up to the stadium. I was negotiating with a scalper and told him to forget it I wasn't going to spend that much. As we walked away from him a guy stopped me and ask do you need tickets? I said yes 2. He said are you taking your daughter? Yes I figured it would be a great memory for us. He said here you go, handed me 2 tickets. I said how much? He said nothing have fun. We had a great time and I remember all the ex Steelers there. It was an emotional day and one we will never forget. Since that day whenever i have had extra tickets for a game. I try and give them to someone with a little kid and I smile and remember that day and how that generous stranger made a life time memory for us.

I was able to make opening day at PNC, another emotional day because it was the day Willie Stargell passed away. A couple months later i moved to jersey and didn't get to see opening day at Heinz Field.

jpele
02-13-2011, 11:38 PM
TRS was one of the best stadiums ever to watch a game. The fans and noise level were something to experience. I've been to games at Hinzes Field but there's just no comparison. P