PDA

View Full Version : WR Lyons signs with Steelers

MDSteel15
02-11-2011, 04:37 PM
http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_722408.html#ixzz1DfU3nht0

Be good for red zone offense~ :bunny:

pimplydan
02-11-2011, 04:45 PM
WOW . 6-8 , 245 lbs huge guy , going to be good for sure !

Maybe even a diamond in the rough .

xBlitzBurghx
02-11-2011, 04:51 PM
I wonder how fast he is ? :D

jpele
02-11-2011, 05:17 PM
Wes Lyons 42 receptions in 3 yrs.If nothing else it gives Ben his big receiver. He will look good running a reverse from the 2 yard line.:stirpot:

Wes Lyons WVU highlights . Kill the volume unless you like rap:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5MPOGvqvcvI&feature=player_embedded#at=47

Big T
02-11-2011, 05:35 PM
Dude may not be the fastest but hes huge and he sure as f*ck has some nice ball skills. Dude can high point that ball real well. Good blocker too. I hope he can make the team. Definitely a redzone threat. 6'8?!? WTF lol

BlitzburghRockCity
02-11-2011, 05:54 PM
Wow, if this guy were to pan out into something special, holy crap! He looks like he's not afraid to go across the middle or make blocks down field either. I'd love to see this kid make something of this opportunity. If nothing else just throw it as high as you can and let him go get it..LOL

MDSteel15
02-11-2011, 06:12 PM
Wow, if this guy were to pan out into something special, holy crap! He looks like he's not afraid to go across the middle or make blocks down field either. I'd love to see this kid make something of this opportunity. If nothing else just throw it as high as you can and let him go get it..LOL

Who could stop him!! :eek1:

Rampage
02-11-2011, 06:16 PM
I love his size, but I don't see him making it past camp.

Mr. Goosemahn
02-11-2011, 06:23 PM
I love his size, but I don't see him making it past camp.

Kind of get this feeling as well. Every team passed on him in the draft, and the Jets had him last year and released him too.

Still, there are plenty of stories of UDFA's who failed with other teams that became good players. Just look at James Harrison :greengrin:

For those wondering, here are his measurables (from the West Virginia pro day):

Height: 6086
Weight: 234 lbs.
40 Yard Dash: 4.68
20 Yard Dash: 2.69
10 Yard Dash: 1.59
225 lbs. Bench Press: 18 reps
Vertical Jump: 41.5 inches
Broad Jump: 10'07''
20 Yard Shuttle: 4.24
3 Cone Drill: 6.87

Those are some extremely impressive numbers, especially the speed and leaping ability for a guy his size.

Guess he's a very raw player with elite athletic ability. Hope he becomes a good player for us.

steelchamp204
02-11-2011, 08:52 PM
youguys like him but wheres he gonna play? He willbe a beadt trust me, we can make anything out of nothing, Hes not going to take wallaces spot, If hines is benched you would have a ****, brown sanders and sweed are left. I say we put wallace in Hines spot and put him in wallaces spot, Brown/sanders/sweed as number 3-4. I love hines but hes not doing much anymore.

HUNT4SEVEN
02-11-2011, 09:38 PM
Yea hopefully the boys Ike, Farrior and Mcfadden can take him to Tom Shaw and work on his speed, i hope Sweed works out to cause he has speed and height, it would be nice to have Lyons, Sweed, Sanders, Brown, Wallace,and Ward that would be lethal

igor0190
02-12-2011, 12:09 AM
You can't teach 6'8"...
Hell, put 20lbs on him and he's a converted tight end. Could take Spaeth's spot, who knows.

Real Deal Steel
02-12-2011, 12:14 AM
Two words:

Limas Sweed

Mr. Goosemahn
02-12-2011, 12:36 AM
Two words:

Limas Sweed

An achilles tendon tear is a tough injury to overcome, and if he does overcome it, it's going to be freaking amazing!

I have so much hope for this guy next year, I'm really pulling for him and hope he pulls a Sidney Rice on us.

H3INZFI3LDST33L
02-12-2011, 01:11 AM
?Is this a Woody Hills product? I think I remember his name from a few years back.

Black@Gold Forever32
02-12-2011, 02:04 AM
Can he make the transition to H-Back/TE kind of role..............If so then he might have a shot.......

coldrolled
02-12-2011, 07:30 AM
You can't teach 6'8"...
Hell, put 20lbs on him and he's a converted tight end. Could take Spaeth's spot, who knows.

:plus1::plus1:

bensshoes
02-12-2011, 09:07 AM
He'll do just fine and coach Ward will show him the next level blocking our reciever/tight ends do here next years gonna be fun!

Clevelandsux
02-12-2011, 10:52 AM
Another Weegie Thompson? Eric Green?

pimplydan
02-12-2011, 12:44 PM
Another Weegie Thompson? Eric Green?

I remember Eric Green catching footballs over everybodies head down the seem , that was great !!!
But Weegie Thompson ? I don't remember this name . funny name LOL.

Number99
02-12-2011, 05:08 PM
LMAO...Weegie Thompson, now thats a great name from the 80's

Mike Tomlin
02-12-2011, 05:52 PM
Can he make the transition to H-Back/TE kind of role..............If so then he might have a shot.......Thats exactly what i was thinking i'm almost sure he'll make the team atleast one year. One thing he's got on his side is he can play wr/fb/te he saves a roster spot maybe two. Love the way he blocks

Scorp
02-12-2011, 07:15 PM
:imho:.......:+1:

Silverback
02-13-2011, 07:29 AM
I have no problem signing a flyer like this, especially when they are 6'8" 245 pound receivers. I wonder why he wasn't drafted, or used more at WVU for that matter. At the very least he'll be a good camp body, he annihilates the press.

coldrolled
02-13-2011, 08:57 AM
I have no problem signing a flyer like this, especially when they are 6'8" 245 pound receivers. I wonder why he wasn't drafted, or used more at WVU for that matter. At the very least he'll be a good camp body, he annihilates the press.

if he is fast, tall, big, catches and blocks... theres only one thing left.. mental facilities.. :grin1:

Phenomenal TJ
02-13-2011, 11:48 AM
A 6'8 receiver with 0 career touchdowns...something's wrong there.

BlitzburghRockCity
02-15-2011, 10:12 AM
The more I see and read about this guy, the more I like him. This kid could potentially be a real gem on this team and make some noise this offseason. We already know we have 4 starting caliber WR's but if Lyons does well it's not of the realm of possibility to see him make the roster. He seems to be a good blocker and not afraid to mix it up so ST is an option too. Who knows what might happen if takes advantage of this opportunity.

Phenomenal TJ
02-15-2011, 01:06 PM
I like the potential factor for him, purely because of his size. Hopefully he can get motivated.

DIESELMAN
02-15-2011, 01:34 PM
From what I've been reading, he was in a run first mentality at WVU with the 1st head coach. When Rodriguez rolled into town, there was hope once again but he was either injured or didn't apply himself. I also read he gets jammed real easy at the LOS and doesn't run routes very well, that would explain the amount of catches in 4 years at WVU. Here's to wishful thinking :greengrin:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mr. Goosemahn
02-15-2011, 01:38 PM
The more I see and read about this guy, the more I like him. This kid could potentially be a real gem on this team and make some noise this offseason. We already know we have 4 starting caliber WR's but if Lyons does well it's not of the realm of possibility to see him make the roster. He seems to be a good blocker and not afraid to mix it up so ST is an option too. Who knows what might happen if takes advantage of this opportunity.

If he works out, he'll be an incredible mismatch for defenses. Waaaaay to big for cornerbacks, way to athletic for linebackers.

I know he's an UDFA who's bounced around the league without really sticking anywhere, but it just takes one team who can really take advantage of his skills, like Danny Woodhead for the Patriots. He too, like Lyons, was released by the Jets, and has found a nice niche and role for New England.

As for his lack of production in college, Lyons always seemed to have a nagging injury. Also, he has to improver his catching. But the physical tools are definitely there, and Ben loves big receivers. Hope it works out.

Goodfrom55
02-16-2011, 06:30 PM
WOW . 6-8 , 245 lbs huge guy , going to be good for sure !

Maybe even a diamond in the rough .

And this guy was available why??????? Good size, but Matt Spaeth has good size too. Never know though, Steelers scouting department does a good job for the most part.

Mr. Goosemahn
02-17-2011, 04:19 AM
And this guy was available why??????? Good size, but Matt Spaeth has good size too. Never know though, Steelers scouting department does a good job for the most part.

He's a project player, as most of these UDFA, training camp bodies are. Very few actually make it to the roster, even less when they've bounced around in the league, but there's always a chance. And if we do have an 18 game season next year (or next season, rather, whenever it starts), then we'd have more roster spots and he'd have a significantly better chance of making it.

Silverback
02-17-2011, 07:38 AM
He's a project player, as most of these UDFA, training camp bodies are. Very few actually make it to the roster, even less when they've bounced around in the league, but there's always a chance. And if we do have an 18 game season next year (or next season, rather, whenever it starts), then we'd have more roster spots and he'd have a significantly better chance of making it.

Thats a valid point, I never really considered how the roster would change with the 18 game format. Any idea of what the new number would be? 58 or something?

cmerrifield
02-17-2011, 08:34 AM
I hoping if he didnt apply himself in college, that coach Ward can help him learn how to apply himself.