PDA

View Full Version : Lebeau deciding his future..2/15 Update, Coach Dad returning for 2011

BlitzburghRockCity
02-11-2011, 03:26 PM
The Pittsburgh Steelers (http://www.nfl.com/teams/pittsburghsteelers/profile?team=PIT) are hopeful about formalizing a new contract with defensive coordinator Dick LeBeau next week, according to league sources.

LeBeau, a driving force behind Pittsburgh's dominant defenses, has given the club strong indications he will return, but wants to take the weekend to fully consider the decision.

LeBeau told the club he will give them a final decision early next week, and the Steelers are hopeful he will be back for another season.
"It looks very positive," said one source with knowledge of the situation.
That decision could come as soon as Monday. The Steelers would then execute a one-year deal for LeBeau, a Hall of Famer who essentially goes year-to-year at this stage of his career.

After the loss to the Green Bay Packers (http://www.nfl.com/teams/greenbaypackers/profile?team=GB) in Super Bowl XLV, the Steelers blocked the Arizona Cardinals (http://www.nfl.com/teams/arizonacardinals/profile?team=ARI) from interviewing linebackers coach Keith Butler for their defensive coordinator position. Butler is believed to be the team's top choice follow LeBeau as coordinator.

steelchamp204
02-11-2011, 03:28 PM
Whiz needs to go **** himself, seriously, DL will be back for 2 seaons only, mark it

cmerrifield
02-11-2011, 03:31 PM
Its good to know he is deciding early. I am torn about what I want here. If he goes, I am excited to see what Butler will do, and if he stays, I am excited to see what he does with this defense to win another SB. Dont think that this years loss wont help motivate next years team.

Scorp
02-11-2011, 03:36 PM
Got the feeling good things are coming the Steelers way.

Mr. Goosemahn
02-11-2011, 03:41 PM
Whiz needs to go **** himself, seriously, DL will be back for 2 seaons only, mark it

It's getting sad, really. Whisenhunt took an elite offense, with very good defensive players, saw it get completely dismantled, and has done nothing to successfully rebuild it.

Beanie Wells has done nothing, they've lost Boldin, Warner, Dansby, and have not found adequate replacements, and are just grasping for ex-Steelers who are way past their prime.

Also, Steeler coaches.

Joey Porter, Clark Haggans, Alan Faneca, Chucky Okobi, Bryant McFadden, Russ Grimm, Dan Kreider, Jerame Tuman, Brian St. Pierre, and now Ray Horton.

They've also flirted with Keith Butler, Nick Eason, and others.

Blazedby92
02-11-2011, 04:53 PM
Funny how this has come up since we heard about Horton and Butler, something doesn't sound right. I don't want DL to go but I am looking forward to the new ENERGY Butler might give this old defense.
As long as we try everything to keep butler I'm all for DL staying another year

Oh yeah, I think he leaves or takes a consultant job here next year

Rampage
02-11-2011, 05:11 PM
I think it's a win-win situation.

1) Lebeau stays and we know what he's capable of and that is provide this team with a solid defense.

2) Lebeau leaves, and Butler gets promoted. He'd be new, but this team has spent a lot of time making sure that he could get the job done. Maybe he could have a different yet valuable style.

BlitzburghRockCity
02-11-2011, 06:01 PM
Funny how this has come up since we heard about Horton and Butler, something doesn't sound right. I don't want DL to go but I am looking forward to the new ENERGY Butler might give this old defense.
As long as we try everything to keep butler I'm all for DL staying another year

Oh yeah, I think he leaves or takes a consultant job here next year

Whisenhunt has been trying to get at Butler since he left to coach Arizona. Same with Horton too. He's all about raiding the Steelers coaching staff and players to try and build his team. The Steelers know Butler is the real deal and that Lebeau won't be around forever so they are making sure they take care of themselves here. Allowing Butler to leave would be a disaster, especially since Horton is gone now.

LatrobePA
02-11-2011, 08:45 PM
DL will retire I bet, then MT will go to work on the secondary, betcha!!

LarryNJ
02-11-2011, 08:51 PM
I have a feeling he is gone too. No reason just a feeling.

andyg1984
02-11-2011, 08:55 PM
yeah, i can see him done too .. butler is not going to sit around for longer than a year ..

bensshoes
02-12-2011, 08:19 AM
I'd just like too thank coach Lebeau for his constant vigilance and supreme service to this Steeler nation! Hope he comes back, but if he doesn't its the same next man up mentality we expect of our players!

BlitzburghRockCity
02-15-2011, 09:13 AM
Still no word on what Lebeau is doing, but we should be hearing something any day now.

LatrobePA
02-15-2011, 10:13 AM
I still think he's done...But we'll see I guess!

BlitzburghRockCity
02-15-2011, 01:31 PM
I really think he's going to come back for 1 more year. He's a football guy at heart and he's still got that passion for the game.

Rampage
02-15-2011, 02:04 PM
The more I am thinking about it, the more I am leaning towards wanting Butler. Don't misconstrue this; I love what Lebeau has done. I just feel that a new coach might be a good thing for this team and may make predictability of defensive scheming go down a bit.

cmerrifield
02-15-2011, 02:19 PM
According to the post-gazette and Gerry Dulac he is staying for at least one more year

LatrobePA
02-15-2011, 02:30 PM
According to the post-gazette and Gerry Dulac he is staying for at least one more year

Then they need to get to work in the secondary, it's a mess! Quit pussy footing around and sign a FA opposite Taylor...

BlitzburghRockCity
02-15-2011, 02:30 PM
Yep, Lebeau is returning..

Dick LeBeau spent the weekend playing golf in North Carolina, not mulling his future as defensive coordinator for the Steelers. After all, there was no reason to focus on anything other than pars and birdies.

“I’m not coaching anywhere but here,” LeBeau said Tuesday after returning from four days off to start getting ready for the NFL combine that begins Feb. 23 in Indianapolis.
The Steelers want LeBeau, 72, back as their defensive coordinator and he intends to sign a new one-year deal any day now to return as the leader of a defense that ranked No. 2 overall and No. 1 against the run in the National Football League in 2010.

Signing a one-year contract is nothing new for LeBeau: He has done that every year with the Steelers since returning for his second stint as defensive coordinator in 2004. And that is his choice, not the Steelers, who typically sign all their assistant coaches to two-year contracts.
But, because of his unique contract setup, and because the Steelers denied permission to the Arizona Cardinals to hire linebackers coach Keith Butler as their defensive coordinator, there was speculation LeBeau might not be returning in 2011. Butler signed a new contract after the 2009 season with the understanding he would be the team’s defensive coordinator when LeBeau retires.

That, though, is not the case.
“This is the only place I will coach, so long as they want me,” LeBeau said.
LeBeau and offensive coordinator Bruce Arians were each told last week by Coach Mike Tomlin that he wanted them to return in 2011. Arians, who was in the final year of a two-year contract, is out of town and has not signed a new contract, either.

http://plus.sites.post-gazette.com/index.php/pro-sports/steelers/108111-gerry-lebeau-will-sign-new-contract

JollyRob68
02-15-2011, 02:31 PM
PG+ Just said he's coming back for a Year. I love LeBeau but its time for a change. Its time for Keith Butler. Also Who are they going to get as DB coach? What aout Donnie Henderson? When is Tomlin going to put his stamp on the DB's? Teams are going to spread The Steelers out like New Orleans,New England & Green Bay did.

#31 pick take Rahim Moore If a Top 3 CB is not there or trade with denver for their two 2nd rounders and get OG,FS,CB or SS

cmerrifield
02-15-2011, 02:34 PM
I am good with him coming back, although, if we win the SB next year, and dont think LeBeau wont have this defense motivated to do so, I could see a mass exodus from the Steelers via retirement. Guys like, Farrior, Hampton, Hoke (if resigned), Ward, LeBeau, Smith, maybe even Harrison.

Scorp
02-15-2011, 05:04 PM
www.nfl.com

Steelers defensive coordinator Dick LeBeau will sign a one-year deal to remain in Pittsburgh, the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette reported Tuesday.

"I'm not coaching anywhere but here," LeBeau told the paper Tuesday.

LeBeau, 72, was said to be taking the weekend to mull the decision, according to NFL Network insider Jason La Canfora. The Hall-of-Famer essentially works on a year-to-year basis at this stage of his career.

Under LeBeau, the Steelers defense ranked No. 2 overall and No. 1 against the run during the 2010 regular season.

BlitzburghRockCity
02-15-2011, 05:11 PM
I am good with him coming back, although, if we win the SB next year, and dont think LeBeau wont have this defense motivated to do so, I could see a mass exodus from the Steelers via retirement. Guys like, Farrior, Hampton, Hoke (if resigned), Ward, LeBeau, Smith, maybe even Harrison.

We said the same thing this year and look what happened, so let's not jump the gun. ;)

Why would Hoke retire, he's still in his prime. Harrison certainly wouldn't go anywhere either, he's still in his prime too. Why do people think he's going to leave the NFL soon? The dude spent the first several years of his career either not playing or on IR. He has several years left atleast if he wants to keep playing.

LatrobePA
02-15-2011, 06:53 PM
Good deal, now go sign some DB's...lol

pimplydan
02-15-2011, 07:05 PM
Good deal, now go sign some DB's...lol

yeah right on , actually go sign one , a great one , ya the guy in Oakland .

steelersbabex25
02-15-2011, 07:15 PM
yeah right on , actually go sign one , a great one , ya the guy in Oakland .

Hint, hint. :whistle:

BlitzburghRockCity
02-16-2011, 08:33 AM
If there was ever such an obvious need to bolster a group for the coming season, it's now with the Secondary. Lebeau knows he is pretty set at Safety but something has to be done with the Cornerbacks, especially with Taylor being a Free Agent. Plus he also has to find himself a secondary coach now too.

LarryNJ
02-16-2011, 09:16 AM
I think the coach will be an easier thing to find. Let's hope they get a good coach, CB and sign Ike.

Scorp
02-16-2011, 10:23 AM
www.espn.com

Dick LeBeau said Tuesday he will be back for a 10th season as the Pittsburgh Steelers' defensive coordinator.

The 73-year-old LeBeau told the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette that he intends to sign a one-year extension with the Steelers. LeBeau has traditionally gone year-by-year on his contract with the Steelers.

"I'm not coaching anywhere but here," LeBeau told the newspaper.

The Steelers have never finished ranked lower than No. 9 defensively in the NFL under LeBeau, and its average ranking is No. 3. This season, no team allowed less points and only one permitted less yardage than the Steelers.

LeBeau has had two different tenures as Steelers defensive coordinator (sandwiched around, among other things, a head-coaching stint in Cincinnati). Despite having a background in a completely different style of defense, Mike Tomlin kept LeBeau when he was hired to replace Bill Cowher as head coach in 2007.

SteelDad
02-16-2011, 10:48 AM
Considering the potential work-stoppage having DL back is a solid move. Nothing worse than trying to deal with a new coordinator on short time.

DanRooney
02-16-2011, 06:09 PM
I guess this means we'll continue to have a terrible secondary for another 2-3 years.

Scorp
02-16-2011, 11:41 PM
Wednesday, February 16, 2011
By Gerry Dulac, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Dick LeBeau spent the weekend playing golf in North Carolina, not mulling his future as defensive coordinator for the Steelers.

After all, there was no reason to focus on anything other than pars and birdies.

"I'm not coaching anywhere but here," LeBeau said Tuesday after returning from four days off before getting ready for the NFL combine that begins Feb. 23 in Indianapolis.

The Steelers want LeBeau, 72, back as their defensive coordinator and he intends to sign a new one-year deal to return as the leader of a defense that ranked No. 2 overall and No. 1 against the run in 2010.

Signing a one-year contract is nothing new for LeBeau: He has done that every year with the Steelers since returning for his second stint as defensive coordinator in '04.

And that is his choice, not the Steelers, who typically sign all their assistant coaches to two-year contracts.

But, because of his unique contract setup, and because the Steelers denied permission to the Arizona Cardinals to hire linebackers coach Keith Butler as their defensive coordinator, there was speculation LeBeau might not be returning in '11.

That, though, is not the case.

"This is the only place I will coach, so long as they want me," LeBeau said.

Butler signed a new contract after the '09 season with the understanding he would be the team's defensive coordinator when LeBeau retires.

LeBeau and offensive coordinator Bruce Arians were each told last week by coach Mike Tomlin that he wanted them to return. Arians, who was in the final year of a two-year contract, is out of town and has not signed a new contract, either.

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/11047/1125680-66.stm#ixzz1EBidslk6

Wouldn't it be cool if Arians was missing for the entire 2011 season? :grin1:

Blazedby92
02-17-2011, 08:53 AM
Arians been missing for the last four season what would be the difference next year

coldrolled
02-17-2011, 10:07 AM
Arians is holding out for more money... He is waiting for another team to snacth him up..

We have a great Pop Warner Club here in Fort Myers were Dion Sanders played, they always look for new coaches. i even coached there for two years... They could use Bruce for sure..

LatrobePA
02-17-2011, 10:10 AM
Arians is holding out for more money... He is waiting for another team to snacth him up..

We have a great Pop Warner Club here in Fort Myers were Dion Sanders played, they always look for new coaches. i even coached there for two years... They could use Bruce for sure..

Send him out to sea!!

bensshoes
02-21-2011, 04:22 AM
well if the Steelers aren't signing FA players to big money contracts then coaches shouldn't hold their breath for long.