PDA

View Full Version : If we were to trade a veteran...

steelchamp204
02-11-2011, 04:25 PM
We need to trade a star player(just one) to make sure our defense stays fresh and doesnt get old as we will after this season. we have............................

Keisel,Hampton,Smith=about 32-33 (eason,hoke,hood)-not exactly playoff dline
Woodley,Farrior,Timmons,Harrison= Kind of young but need more from Ml
Ike,Gay,McFad,Troy,Clark=not the greatest secondary.(age-29)around.

Seriosuly, we have some kind of depth but not the depth we need right now to make another superbowl. We need to make a trade or bring a huge FA in right now to silitify ourdefense again.

lETS FACE IT FELLAS THIS DEFENSE INST THE YOUNGEST OF THE NFL, actually were prob one of the oldest.

So if we were to trade one of our own who would you choose, and people, dont say I wouldnt trade any of these guys because they are a true steelers. Lets all be realistic.

1. Ward
2. Woodley
3. Harrison
4. Timmons
5. Troy
6. Clark
7. Keisel
8. Smith
9. Wallace

DanRooney
02-11-2011, 04:36 PM
Keep in mind our offense is one of the youngest...

There's no need to trade any of those guys up there. Normally, trading doesn't get you any younger. Clark would be the obvious choice on that list though.

Phenomenal TJ
02-11-2011, 04:36 PM
We need to trade a star player(just one) to make sure our defense stays fresh and doesnt get old as we will after this season. we have............................

Keisel,Hampton,Smith=about 32-33 (eason,hoke,hood)-not exactly playoff dline
Woodley,Farrior,Timmons,Harrison= Kind of young but need more from Ml
Ike,Gay,McFad,Troy,Clark=not the greatest secondary.(age-29)around.

Seriosuly, we have some kind of depth but not the depth we need right now to make another superbowl. We need to make a trade or bring a huge FA in right now to silitify ourdefense again.

lETS FACE IT FELLAS THIS DEFENSE INST THE YOUNGEST OF THE NFL, actually were prob one of the oldest.

So if we were to trade one of our own who would you choose, and people, dont say I wouldnt trade any of these guys because they are a true steelers. Lets all be realistic.

1. Ward
2. Woodley
3. Harrison
4. Timmons
5. Troy
6. Clark
7. Keisel
8. Smith
9. Wallace

Clark, Keisel, Smith wouldn't bring in much to be honest.
Ward, Polamalu are the heart's of the defense/offense.
Timmons, Wallace are both young and very talented.
Woodley/Harrison...one of these two. Without a doubt from that list.

SteelJunkie
02-11-2011, 04:37 PM
Realistically you can't trade Woodley because he isn't under contract.

Ward and Smith are to old for value.

Clark, keisel has no value.

Wallace is young and i see to much production over his career to trade him.

Timmons has big taking big steps as well and should be to much value for us to trade.

Harrison is a beast, but with his age and contract you wouldn't get enough value to trade.

Troy is Troy and when healthy he can dominate problem is he hasn't been healthy last couple of seasons. IF he could stay healthy I wouldn't trade him.

If I had to pick it would be Harrison just because of our ways to plug in LB's throughout the years.

steelchamp204
02-11-2011, 04:38 PM
Keep in mind our offense is one of the youngest...

There's no need to trade any of those guys up there. Normally, trading doesn't get you any younger. Clark would be the obvious choice on that list though.

Yea our offense might be young but whats that when you would have an old defense? Lets also keep in mnd our offense isnt one of the greatest either.

Scorp
02-11-2011, 04:38 PM
I'm going for broke. Trade BA.

BlitzburghRockCity
02-11-2011, 04:39 PM
1. Ward
2. Woodley
3. Harrison
4. Timmons
5. Troy
6. Clark
7. Keisel
8. Smith
9. Wallace

You can't trade any of them really right now. True Steelers not being the issue, they are all too important to the defense right now. You couldn't trade Wood anyways,he's a FA if they don't resign him. The only one you could possibly consider would be Smith or Clark maybe, only because Aaron was gone most of 2010 and we still made it to the Super Bowl. Nobody is going to give you anything for him at this point in his career so he's out.

Clark maybe, I guess I could see that one however then you have to draft somebody else and what if they don't work out? Then you're sunk. You can bring in a new safety to learn and wait in the wings but you can't justify getting rid of him at this point.

SteelJunkie
02-11-2011, 04:40 PM
I'm going for broke. Trade BA.

We can't give him away even if WE threw in draft picks.

cmerrifield
02-11-2011, 04:41 PM
I wouldnt trade any of them and here is why. We wouldnt get anything for them. The only exception would be Wallace, but then that wouldnt help us get younger. These guys are all more valuable to us to win this next year or the year after, than a 4th or 5th round pick

steelchamp204
02-11-2011, 04:41 PM
1. Ward
2. Woodley
3. Harrison
4. Timmons
5. Troy
6. Clark
7. Keisel
8. Smith
9. Wallace

You can't trade any of them really right now. True Steelers not being the issue, they are all too important to the defense right now. You couldn't trade Wood anyways,he's a FA if they don't resign him. The only one you could possibly consider would be Smith or Clark maybe, only because Aaron was gone most of 2010 and we still made it to the Super Bowl. Nobody is going to give you anything for him at this point in his career so he's out.

Clark maybe, I guess I could see that one however then you have to draft somebody else and what if they don't work out? Then you're sunk. You can bring in a new safety to learn and wait in the wings but you can't justify getting rid of him at this point.

I dont think they are all important, why not trade troy for 4 picks in the first two rnds? yea he is a playmaker, but when will he actually play even 15 games a year.

cmerrifield
02-11-2011, 04:44 PM
I dont think they are all important, why not trade troy for 4 picks in the first two rnds? yea he is a playmaker, but when will he actually play even 15 games a year.

No one would give us a 1st and a 2nd for Troy.

jpele
02-11-2011, 04:54 PM
I'm at a loss here, how does trading one of our star players help make us better.:dunno:

steelchamp204
02-11-2011, 04:55 PM
No one would give us a 1st and a 2nd for Troy.

you serious? Troy isnt worth a 1st and a 2nd round pick? Think of how many playoff tms need a ss ike troy.

SteelDad
02-11-2011, 04:56 PM
Every single one of these guys on defense has an issue that would keep them from garnering serious compensation in return should they be traded. The only one you could get maybe a 2nd rounder for is Timmons.
-No one would touch Harrison b/c of age and salary.
-You won't see a sign and trade with Wood b/c this isn't the NBA.
-TP has not proven he can really last a full season so I can't see anyone offering much with a couple of possible exceptions like maybe Detroit or Arizona.
-Clark? Maybe a 3rd rounder, but he is aging as well.

We are being hypothetical right??:thinking:

steelchamp204
02-11-2011, 04:57 PM
I'm at a loss here, how does trading one of our star players help make us better.:dunno:

younger.

--- Added 2/11/2011 at 02:57 PM ---

Every single one of these guys on defense has an issue that would keep them from garnering serious compensation in return should they be traded. The only one you could get maybe a 2nd rounder for is Timmons.
-No one would touch Harrison b/c of age and salary.
-You won't see a sign and trade with Wood b/c this isn't the NBA.
-TP has not proven he can really last a full season so I can't see anyone offering much with a couple of possible exceptions like maybe Detroit or Arizona.
-Clark? Maybe a 3rd rounder, but he is aging as well.

We are being hypothetical right??:thinking:

just saying, its a thread, just asking opinions

jpele
02-11-2011, 04:59 PM
younger.

Younger means unknown. No way do I trade a Woodley for a draft pick that may or may not be an equal player.

And what do you think you would get for an older player ?

steelchamp204
02-11-2011, 05:08 PM
Younger means unknown. No way do I trade a Woodley for a draft pick that may or may not be an equal player.

What do you think we would get for woodley, lb's with the steelers are a dime a dozen, and for a veteran? Whats the point? Getting younger is better than having an older player, plus what VETERAN on the team is an impact player except for Troy and Smith? Well not really smith because we made it all the way without him.

--- Added 2/11/2011 at 03:08 PM ---

Plus right noW I would take sylvester over farrior unless you choose otherwise. I would put Mundy over clark in all seriousness, Clark is a waste of space. Just cause he put a hit on welker and McGahee(o yea the pick he got against sanchez)doesnt mean hes not replaceable.

Mr. Goosemahn
02-11-2011, 05:45 PM
Top 5 most tradeable players for us (excluding Ben):

1. SS Troy Polamalu
2. OLB LaMarr Woodley
3. ILB Lawrence Timmons
4. OLB James Harrison
5. WR Mike Wallace

None of these guys have value for other teams:

Hines Ward, Aaron Smith, Brett Keisel, and Ryan Clark.

We love them as Steelers players, but they've got absolutely no value to other teams. Ward and Smith are one year away from retirement. Keisel and Clark are on the wrong side of 30, and aren't great for that matter. Both are good, but not great.

Plus right noW I would take sylvester over farrior unless you choose otherwise. I would put Mundy over clark in all seriousness, Clark is a waste of space. Just cause he put a hit on welker and McGahee(o yea the pick he got against sanchez)doesnt mean hes not replaceable.

There is no way Sylvester is a better player than Farrior and Mundy isn't better Clark. Clark isn't the biggest, nor the fastest, but he's a great locker room guy and ultimately is a very, very good complement for Troy Polamalu.

Clark's job is to protect the deep zone and help receivers, he's not supposed to come up into the box like Troy is. People say he gets beat deep, that's more likely due to the fact that we play deep zone and QB's read it. With a zone defense, there's a small no-man's land where the CB leaves the receiver and the S has to pick him up. It's not a big zone, but good QB's definitely pick it up and take advantage of it. There are very, very few safeties who can consistently make plays on these schemes, and sadly Clark isn't one of them. But Troy and Reed are, and there aren't many safeties of their caliber in the league.

Same for Farrior. He had a bad season last year, but he did bounce back. Again, not the biggest, not the fastest, but he's very good in his role.

Blazedby92
02-11-2011, 05:45 PM

For one you won't get that many picks for TP because of just what you said and if you know it everyone knows Troy will always be injury prone.

If we could though I would pick Troy i'd even take 3, we need two good safeties and a corner.

Mr. Goosemahn
02-11-2011, 05:46 PM
What do you think we would get for woodley, lb's with the steelers are a dime a dozen, and for a veteran? Whats the point? Getting younger is better than having an older player, plus what VETERAN on the team is an impact player except for Troy and Smith? Well not really smith because we made it all the way without him.

We could get a first for Woodley, no questions about it. Just because LB's are a dime a dozen for us doesn't mean they're easy to come by for other teams.

But the most important thing not being addressed here, is why are we even considering trading Woodley? He, Timmons, and Hood are the only true building blocks we've got for the future, there's absolutely no way we'd willingly part with either of them.

BlitzburghRockCity
02-11-2011, 05:57 PM

There is no way we would get 4 picks in the first 2 rounds for Troy, even if they were spread out over 2 or 3 years. Teams just aren't going to give that up for him. We could possibly get a couple 2nd round picks for him. Quite honestly, Troy's abilities are featured because he's in a defense that allows him to free lance. He shines in the Steelers environment. Not that he couldn't be successful elsewhere, but either way teams aren't going to give us that much for him.

Troy's deal is pretty cap friendly if I remember right, but either way Lebeau loves him and so does Butler and Tomlin so he's not going anywhere.

Mr. Goosemahn
02-11-2011, 06:07 PM
So I'm reading a lot of things about trading our good players for younger players for the future and I want to voice my opinion on something that I think people aren't really focusing on, or taking into consideration, and it's this:

The Pittsburgh Steelers have a championship window of 2 years, max.

After that, we'll need a major defensive overhaul, which will take at the very least 3 years to complete itself.

This basically means that we should 1. keep all the talented players we have based solely on the promise of winning #7 and 2. not focus on rebuilding for the future right now, as these are the last of the "golden years," if you will, of a rebuilding process that has taken a decade to complete.

Just take a look at our history and how long it took to build a championship team:

The core of the defense was acquired close to the early 2000's. Aaron Smith, Casey Hampton, Brett Keisel, James Harrison, James Farrior, Ike Taylor, and Troy Polamalu, all these guys have been with the team for AT LEAST 8 years, believe it or not.

The offensive rebuilding began back in 04 with Roethlisberger. Every single starter, other than Ward, was acquired after this pick. Starks, Kemoeatu, Pouncey, Foster, Colon, Miller, Wallace, Mendenhall David Johnson, every single one came after 2004. It took us five years for the transition to be "complete" but quite frankly it isn't complete yet, we still need at least one offensive lineman.

Now I ask you, do you really want to trade our talented players and start the rebuilding process right now, forgoing these two last years we have, or would you rather keep them, give us a legitimate chance of getting #7, and rebuild later? I won't lie, the rebuilding process is inevitable, and it will be based around Lawrence Timmons, LaMarr Woodley, and Ziggy Hood.

Right now, our future defense looks like this:

DE - ??
NT - ??
DE - Ziggy Hood

OLB - LaMarr Woodley
ILB - Lawrence Timmons
ILB - ??
OLB - Jason Worilds

CB - ??
S - ??
S - ??
CB - ??

Looks extremely unpromising, but it'll improve in due time. But for right now, we need to focus on winning IMMEDIATELY, not in the future. This league is about giving yourself the best chance of winning, not taking apart a very talented team for the promise of a better tomorrow.

Polamalu, Woodley, Harrison, Timmons, Smith, Hampton, every single one of them will play out the rest, or at least the majority, of their careers as Steelers, and they should. There is no logical reason to diminish our championship winning possibilities for unknowns.

As for me, I'll take #7, feel happy for some of these guys riding off into the sunset with another ring, and will eaglery await and anticipate the rebuilding of our defense.

Blazedby92
02-11-2011, 06:10 PM
Why did you make another thread about this?

Mr. Goosemahn
02-11-2011, 06:13 PM
Why did you make another thread about this?

First thread I make on this topic alone, and it's because I'm seeing it pop up in many other threads. If you deem it unnecessary, please delete it, I'm not trying to cause any issues.

Just wanted to keep this in one place. :2cents:

BlitzburghRockCity
02-11-2011, 07:05 PM
DE - Keisel isn't going anywhere within 2 years
NT - Hampton has about 2 good years left in him then yes the Steelers will need a replacement ready to go
DE - Ziggy Hood

OLB - LaMarr Woodley
ILB - Lawrence Timmons
ILB - Steveson Sylvester
OLB - Why do you think Harrison is leaving in 2 years, the guy may be over 30 but he spent the first several years of his career either injured, on IR, or being a backup. He's in his prime now.

CB - Ike Taylor will return
S - Troy will still be here most likely
S - Clark will probably be here
CB -

The Secondary is the most obvious need as we've talked about at length this year and in years past. The Steelers will address this during the offseason so lets see what they do.

Sylvester looks to be the real deal, I look for him to get increased playing time in 2011 and when Potsie retires he'll be ready.

steelchamp204
02-11-2011, 07:23 PM
We could get a first for Woodley, no questions about it. Just because LB's are a dime a dozen for us doesn't mean they're easy to come by for other teams.

But the most important thing not being addressed here, is why are we even considering trading Woodley? He, Timmons, and Hood are the only true building blocks we've got for the future, there's absolutely no way we'd willingly part with either of them.

It was just a opinion on ppls thoughts, I want to see sylvester play. And yes he will be better than farrior. I dont really go by college highlights, but this kid is going to be special in the run and the pass.Why waste him on the bench? The defense the way it is right now has a ONE year window, thats it, after that its going to take another 2-4 years to rebuild the defense(prob with a new shceme,players etc.)

All I was saying about TP is that if the freakin patriots can get 4 picks the first two rnd for MOSS, why cant we atleast get 3 for the first 2 rnds?

BlitzburghRockCity
02-11-2011, 07:34 PM
The Steelers would most likely put the franchise Tag on Woodley or Taylor; whichever one they can't get signed before they hit the market.

Mr. Goosemahn
02-11-2011, 07:55 PM
DE - Keisel isn't going anywhere within 2 years
NT - Hampton has about 2 good years left in him then yes the Steelers will need a replacement ready to go
DE - Ziggy Hood

OLB - LaMarr Woodley
ILB - Lawrence Timmons
ILB - Steveson Sylvester
OLB - Why do you think Harrison is leaving in 2 years, the guy may be over 30 but he spent the first several years of his career either injured, on IR, or being a backup. He's in his prime now.

CB - Ike Taylor will return
S - Troy will still be here most likely
S - Clark will probably be here
CB -

The Secondary is the most obvious need as we've talked about at length this year and in years past. The Steelers will address this during the offseason so lets see what they do.

Sylvester looks to be the real deal, I look for him to get increased playing time in 2011 and when Potsie retires he'll be ready.

I meant as building blocks for the future, guys who we consider long-term starters.

As for individual players, I know a couple of them might still be around, but I'm just assuming most will be gone. Keisel, Hampton, Harrison, Troy, and Clark all will be old (35, 36, 35, 32, and 34, respectively) by the time the 2013 season starts, and all would be prime candidates as cap casualties. All of them have pretty hefty contracts, especially Hampton, Harrison, and Troy, meaning that the second the front office feels their age has caught up to them, they'll get released/won't be resigned, ala Joey Porter and Alan Faneca.

We also have to take into consideration the fact that Hampton's deal runs out in two more years, Polamalu is a free agent next summer, and while I think we do resign Polamalu, I think this is Hampton's last deal as a Steeler.

I do agree that Harrison doesn't have nearly as much wear-and-tear as most 32 year olds do, but that doesn't necessarily mean his body will maintain itself in peak condition. I truly hope it does, but I'm just trying to be as real as possible.

I'm not drinking the Stevenson Sylvester kool aid yet. He's been pretty good as a special teamer, but he only played defense on 22 snaps vs. Cleveland in Week 17 and 3 snaps vs. Oakland in Week 11, which isn't much. I definitely have liked what I've seen from him, and he's got the right attitude, but there's a difference between having the disposition to play, and having the adequate talent to play. I agree with you that he'll have an increased role, especially if Keyaron Fox isn't retained.

Mr. Goosemahn
02-11-2011, 08:06 PM
It was just a opinion on ppls thoughts, I want to see sylvester play. And yes he will be better than farrior. I dont really go by college highlights, but this kid is going to be special in the run and the pass.Why waste him on the bench? The defense the way it is right now has a ONE year window, thats it, after that its going to take another 2-4 years to rebuild the defense(prob with a new shceme,players etc.)

All I was saying about TP is that if the freakin patriots can get 4 picks the first two rnd for MOSS, why cant we atleast get 3 for the first 2 rnds?

Let's ignore the other thread, it's the same discussion here. My bad for creating it.

Regarding Sylvester, that's an awfully high standard you've set for him. James Farrior was one of the best ILB's in the league for a while, not with the Jets, he was just an awkward fit there, but definitely with us.

I do hope he becomes a stud, but I've yet to see any indication of such a transformation. He'll definitely get more snaps next year though, which will be very useful to gauge his progress.

And I believe the Patriots got a third round pick for Moss. Their other first round pick comes from Oakland, from the Richard Seymour trade, while the other second round pick comes from Carolina, who traded it last year for a third round pick used to select WR Armanti Edwards.

--- Added 2/11/2011 at 06:06 PM ---

The Steelers would most likely put the franchise Tag on Woodley or Taylor; whichever one they can't get signed before they hit the market.

Woodley would be my choice, as I think Taylor will be cheaper to resign and less eager to test the free agent market. In any case, both are the highest priorities for us right now.

jpele
02-11-2011, 08:30 PM
We could get a first for Woodley, no questions about it. J

Actually you can't get anything for Woodley, he's a FA .You either sign him or he walks.

Scorp
02-11-2011, 09:39 PM
Who the hell said we should trade Troy? Not in my lifetime. I ain't mad at you. Troy would have to be playing like Neil O'Donnell to get traded.

SteelDad
02-11-2011, 11:49 PM
No offense to anyone, but is the 'Madden Effect' at work here? Some folks around SA, including myself, may have played a little too much Madden and pulled off way too many trades. Trades just don't happen in the NFL like they do in other pro leagues and I just don't see us pulling off anything reagardless of who it is.

Real Deal Steel
02-12-2011, 12:16 AM
We have to get younger on defense while improving the O-line and secondary. It's going to be tough to pull it off. We may unfortunately have to take a step back.

SteelDad
02-12-2011, 10:57 AM
We have to get younger on defense while improving the O-line and secondary. It's going to be tough to pull it off. We may unfortunately have to take a step back.

No doubt about it. It's the age of free agency and the draft 24/7 which makes the job of Colbert and staff that much tougher. We have to get guys like Butler,Sylvester, Worilds, etc on the field and not on the bench which means they better step up or we have to do a better job of searching for talent.

Nolrog
02-12-2011, 02:55 PM

You won't get 4 picks in the first two rounds. That's ludicrous. He had a terrible post season and he's been injured for most of the last two years.

Oh and by the way, have you seen what kind of crap the D turns into when Troy doens't play? And you want to trade him?????

Let's step out of fantasy land and back into what I like to think of as reality.

--- Added 2/12/2011 at 12:50 PM ---

We could get a first for Woodley, no questions about it.

Woodley is a free agent. You couldn't get a warm bucket of spit for him.

--- Added 2/12/2011 at 12:55 PM ---

I agree. The best thing they can do is have a really really good draft, and find some guys who can contribute in the later rounds, while getting an impact player early on.

Just because the D is old doesn't mean there's a short window. It means they have to be much better and very lucky in acquiring players.

Phenomenal TJ
02-12-2011, 03:46 PM
The Franchise tag is probably going to Woodley, especially since he's already expressed interest in it.

Mr. Goosemahn
02-12-2011, 07:49 PM
You won't get 4 picks in the first two rounds. That's ludicrous. He had a terrible post season and he's been injured for most of the last two years.

Oh and by the way, have you seen what kind of crap the D turns into when Troy doens't play? And you want to trade him?????

Let's step out of fantasy land and back into what I like to think of as reality.

Agreed, there's absolutely no reason to trade Troy. I'd much rather have an injury-prone Troy than not, as our defense definitely collapses without him. He's the glue that holds it all together. And I wouldn't say he had a terrible post-season, he just failed to make any statistical difference. He definitely adjusts coverages and throws, which is something truly valuable for us.

Woodley is a free agent. You couldn't get a warm bucket of spit for him.

I know he's a free agent, I was talking about player value and what they're worth in a trade. If we had any plans of trading him, at all, we'd franchise tag him (at least) and then trade him.

I agree. The best thing they can do is have a really really good draft, and find some guys who can contribute in the later rounds, while getting an impact player early on.

Just because the D is old doesn't mean there's a short window. It means they have to be much better and very lucky in acquiring players.

Actually, yes, yes, it does. Our team's success is directly linked with our defense's performance. When our defense is great (08) we win a Superbowl. When our defense is mediocre (09), we miss the playoffs. When our defense is good (10) we make the playoffs, but can't win it all. Our defense is the reason we win or lose, as our offense plays off of them, not the other way around. I'd much rather it be the other way around, with our offense being a smart combination of the running game and keeping long drives alive, as well as closing out games. But we just can't do that.

Our defense being old, combined with the fact that we don't have young bodies to replace most starters, means there's going to be around a three year gap where we'll transition from our unit to the next unit. This gap is where we'll acquire the young players, accustom them to our defense and style of play, ans evaluate if they are worth keeping around. And it would be a three year gap if everything goes well, which is being optimistic.

Assuming we invest 5 of our 7 picks on defense this year, we'd need to find a NT, DE, not one but two safeties, and a CB. It is possible to do? Yes. But unfortunately, not very likely. Focusing on our real success rate with the draft during the Tomlin and Colbert era, here's a breakdown of our success:

1. LB Lawrence Timmons, Florida State
2. DE/OLB LaMarr Woodley, Michigan
3. TE Matt Spaeth, Minnesota
4. P Daniel Sepulveda, Baylor
4. DT/DE Ryan McBean, Oklahoma State
5. OG Cameron Stephenson, Rutgers
5. CB William Gay, Louisville
7. WR Dallas Baker, Florida

Total Players: 8
Offensive Players: 4
Defensive Players: 4
Eventual Consistent Starters: 3 (counting Sepulveda but not Gay)
Players still with team: 5

1. RB Rashard Mendenhall, Illinois
2. WR Limas Sweed, Texas
3. DE/OLB Bruce Davis, UCLA
4. OT Tony Hills, Texas
5. QB Dennis Dixon, Oregon
6. LB Mike Humpal, Iowa
6. S Ryan Mundy, West Virginia

Total Players: 7
Offensive Players: 4
Defensive Players: 3
Eventual Consistent Starters: 1

1. DT/DE Ziggy Hood, Missouri
3. OG Kraig Urbik, Wisconsin
3. WR Mike Wallace, Ole Miss
3. CB Keenan Lewis, Oregon State
5. CB Joe Burnett, Central Florida
5. RB/FB Frank Summers, UNLV
6. DT Ra'Shon Harris, Oregon
7. C A.Q. Shipley, Penn State
7. TE/FB David Johnson, Arkansas State

Total Players: 9
Offensive Players: 5
Defensive Players: 4
Eventual Consistent Starters: 2 (counting Ziggy Hood)

1. C Maurkice Pouncey, Florida
2. DE/OLB Jason Worilds, Virginia Tech
3. WR Emmanuel Sanders, SMU
4. DE/OLB Thaddeus Gibson, Ohio State
5. OT Chris Scott, Tennessee
5. CB Crezdon Butler, Clemson
5. LB Stevenson Sylvester, Utah
6. RB Jonathan Dwyer, Georgia Tech
6. WR Antonio Brown, Central Michigan
7. DT Doug Worthington, Ohio State

Total players: 10
Offensive Players: 5
Defensive Players: 5
Eventual Consistent Starters: 2 (counting Emmanuel Sanders)
Players Still with team: 8

Putting it all together:

Total players: 34
Offensive players: 18
Defensive players: 16
Eventual Consistent Starters: 8
Players still with team: 23

Basically, 68% of the players we draft remain for the team for at least one year. 53% of our drafted players are offensive players, while 47% are defensive. 24% of the players we draft become starters.

Putting all these stats together for this year's draft, we're going to have a very balanced combination of offensive and defensive players. I predict 4 defensive and 3 offensive, even if the stats show it's slightly the opposite. Finally, the stats show that one out of every four picks becomes a starter, which might originally seem a good ratio, but it's not nearly that good. With that average, we'd pick one, maybe two starters this upcoming draft.

All these numbers combined lead me to believe that there is simply no way we can completely rebuild the defense without any major bumps during the transition. We'd have to take defensive players in the first two rounds for the next three years with a perfect success rate, and still get a piece here and there in free agency. During these years, the team will depend on the offense to win, as the defense will be much more vulnerable that it is right now.

I know my posts might seem pessimistic, but that's just how I see things. I'm not a pessimist though, haha, at all. I'm actually with you when it comes to hoping we pull off a great draft and whatnot, but it's just not likely :S

Scorp
02-12-2011, 08:28 PM
Sports Xchange www.foxsports.com
LEN PASQUARELLI

Given their uncanny ability to draft, develop and advance players, the Pittsburgh Steelers rarely lose a veteran for whom they don't have a ready and able replacement. But the AFC champions might be out of luck in supplanting corner Ike Taylor if he departs via free agency.

Taylor's agent, Joel Segal, told The Sports Xchange this week that there have been "zero negotiations" to date and that he expects the eight-year veteran to be "a very hot guy" in free agency.

He might be right.

It could be time to break out of the closet those old, dusty, "I Like Ike" campaign buttons from the 1950s and polish 'em up.

Taylor has some of the poorest hands in the league among cornerbacks, and drops more than his share of would-be interceptions. But coaches, particularly defensive coordinator Dick LeBeau, regard him highly. He is the closest thing Pittsburgh has to a "shutdown" cornerback and is a terrific fit for the Steelers' system, a guy who is rarely out of position in coverage and plays the run well.

It's hard to say what the Steelers would do without Taylor, who will be an unrestricted free agent no matter the resolution of CBA discussions, and who seems destined to test the open market.

"I've been (in Pittsburgh) my whole career, and I'd like to finish with the Steelers," said Taylor, a fourth-round pick in 2003. "It's my home, and I really don't know anything else. But (stuff) happens, so we'll see."

Taylor signed a five-year, $22.5 million extension just before the start of the 2006 season, but that deal will expire, and it will likely cost the Steelers a lot more to keep him. Despite the success of Green Bay quarterback Aaron Rodgers in last week's title game, Taylor played pretty well in Super Bowl XLV. Rodgers clearly targeted corners Bryant McFadden and William Gay throughout the game. On one of the game's biggest plays, a third-and-10 completion to Greg Jennings up the seam, Taylor had excellent coverage, but Rodgers lofted the ball just over his finger tips.

Director of football operations Kevin Colbert acknowledged last week the Steelers are "definitely behind" on some negotiations because of their appearance in the Super Bowl, but emphasized Taylor is a priority for the club. However the team is expected to use a franchise tag on linebacker LaMarr Woodley, so retaining Taylor could be a stretch.

As of Thursday night there were no discussions planned as the Steelers, like many teams in the league, wait for CBA negotiations to play out.

Pittsburgh has drafted four cornerbacks in four years Gay (fifth round, 2007), Keenan Lewis (third round, 2009), Joe Burnett (fifth round, 2009) and Crezdon Butler (fifth round, 2010) and none seems ready enough yet to step in. Gay started 14 games in 2009, but was inadequate enough that the Steelers re-acquired McFadden in a trade. Gay is seen more as a nickel defender than a starter in the "base" defense.

Around the league
Corner market: So why might Taylor have a healthy market, even though he has just 11 interceptions in eight seasons, and has only once posted more than two in a campaign? For starters, Taylor is very durable, having missed just one start the past four seasons, and averaged 14.8 starts over the last six years.

And then there is the free agency cornerback class: Nnamdi Asomugha, who voided his contract with the Raiders, is going to cost a ton. Champ Bailey is 32 years old and at some point in the next three or four years will move inside to safety. Ronde Barber is 35 and everyone figures he's headed back to Tampa Bay. Antonio Cromartie is, well, Antonio Cromartie.

At 30 years old, set to turn 31 this spring, Taylor is a viable alternative who is a low-maintenance guy and one who knows how to win.

Two other corners on whom to keep an eye, according to one league pro scout: Carlos Rogers of Washington and Buffalo's Drayton Florence. Said the scout to The Sports Xchange: "(Florence) could be the surprise guy. He just turned 30, he's really pretty mature, and he's become a good player."

The veteran has only 14 interceptions in eight seasons, but has six years with double-digit passes defensed and plays good run support.

beaver688
02-12-2011, 09:11 PM
flozel