PDA

View Full Version : Should Ben take a pay cut?

cmerrifield
02-11-2011, 11:39 AM
I was looking at salary cap info at steelersdepot.com (http://www.steelersdepot.com/2011/02/steelers-2011-salary-cap-total-current-roster/) and Ben is cost us 15.8 million against a cap which experts think will be around 135 million. That means the average player can make 2.54 million a year. Now I know none of this is official without a CBA, but the owner will not agree to anything without a salary cap, so you know there is going to be one. Now, getting Taylor, Woodley, draft picks and any free agents this season will be tight. Then add that Wallace, Timmons, Smith and Troy will be free agents after next season leads me to believe we could be in trouble. The Steelers do not want Wallace, Timmons or Troy to hit the FA market after this season, so I am guessing they are our top priority after the 2010 free agents. So, should Ben take a pay cut? Peyton Manning did this several years ago too. If Ben doesnt, I think we will loose some key guys in the next couple years. I would think as the leader of the team and understanding what it takes to win, I think Ben should take a pay cut. Nothing against Ben's performance or anything, I just think its business and if you want to win, you need good players around you.

Rampage
02-11-2011, 11:42 AM
I don't think he needs to, but some older veterans can start getting restructured contracts, if I could make the decision of course.

Sheetz
02-11-2011, 11:46 AM
Give the man some damn lineman and he'll show you why he's paid what he is. He got to the superbowl with backups throughout his Oline and with rookie WRs.

cmerrifield
02-11-2011, 12:04 PM
I am not saying he doesnt deserve the huge contract, just saying we could use some cap room. Although, I do have a hard time believing anyone is worth $30,000 per pass attempt, but thats what the great QB's are getting.

LatrobePA
02-11-2011, 12:09 PM
Give the man some damn lineman and he'll show you why he's paid what he is. He got to the superbowl with backups throughout his Oline and with rookie WRs.

Oline was playing well, give the man some f'n offensive play calls!!

coldrolled
02-11-2011, 12:11 PM
I am not saying he doesnt deserve the huge contract, just saying we could use some cap room. Although, I do have a hard time believing anyone is worth $30,000 per pass attempt, but thats what the great QB's are getting.

Are we back on this salary cap crap..... do the steelers need a better money manager?? We seem to need some better cap management....

Lets see we have the Colts, Jets, Pats, Cowboys, Giants, Chargers, Saints with big name QB's and they have lots of other big talent they pay for... We pay 1 WR. Cheap list on RB's, obviously not much on CB's, even TE position is cheaper than it should be etc... Why do we always have cap problems and other teams do not?? im confused on this issue..... :thinking:

K Train
02-11-2011, 12:11 PM
no...but troy and kemo should and ward and farrior should retire or take the vet min

cmerrifield
02-11-2011, 12:17 PM
Are we back on this salary cap crap..... do the steelers need a better money manager?? We seem to need some better cap management....

Lets see we have the Colts, Jets, Pats, Cowboys, Giants, Chargers, Saints with big name QB's and they have lots of other big talent they pay for... We pay 1 WR. Cheap list on RB's, obviously not much on CB's, even TE position is cheaper than it should be etc... Why do we always have cap problems and other teams do not?? im confused on this issue..... :thinking:

Here is why
Clark 3.2 mill, Farrior 3.8, Foote 3, Hampton 7, Harrison 7, Keisel and Kemo 4, Miller 5.5, Troy 8.5, Smith 6.1, Starks 7.2 and Ben at 15.8 for a total of 75.1 or 55% of the cap with 12 of 53 players.

Other teams have these issues, I am from Indiana and the Colts have not resigned more than one LB in 10 years, not to mention RB, CB and a few other positions that have been a rotating door for them

harpo
02-11-2011, 12:20 PM
no...but troy and kemo should and ward and farrior should retire or take the vet min

You can add Aaron Smith to that 'retire or take the vet min' list, too.

UKSTEELER
02-11-2011, 12:24 PM
We could save some cash by insisting he plays without gloves, does any other QB in the NFL where gloves every game? I mean they're about $35 a pair . . .

and what about the visors, bet there not cheap, cuts could be made there too!

On a side note:

Ben didn't wear the visor in the Championship game did he?

. . he did on Sunday, any idea why?:thinking:

SteelDad
02-11-2011, 12:32 PM
It's a fair question being posed here and some of you are offering some worthy solutions as well. One thing BR could do is re-structure his deal so that it opens up some cash for others while spreading his a little differently. I realize few of us are thrilled with the status quo regarding the coordinator position, but I think we will see some shrewd moves by the FO with some of the veterans mentioned earlier. Time for some young guys to step up.

BlitzburghRockCity
02-11-2011, 12:34 PM
Ben is not going to take a pay cut; however the team will more than likely restructure his deal in the years ahead. It's standard procedure for players with high cap values. You don't make any less money but they give your salary for that particular year in the form of a signing bonus. That way they can stretch out the cap hit over more than just 1 year.

TampaSteelGirl
02-11-2011, 12:50 PM
It's so weird..I was just thinking this same very thing on my way to work...I was wondering if he would offer to take a pay cut to save some guys...

SteelJunkie
02-11-2011, 01:07 PM
Well another question will be what the rookies will make. Until the current CBA gets done the rookie wages could be a lot different from previous years.

coldrolled
02-11-2011, 01:07 PM
Here is why
Clark 3.2 mill, Farrior 3.8, Foote 3, Hampton 7, Harrison 7, Keisel and Kemo 4, Miller 5.5, Troy 8.5, Smith 6.1, Starks 7.2 and Ben at 15.8 for a total of 75.1 or 55% of the cap with 12 of 53 players.

Other teams have these issues, I am from Indiana and the Colts have not resigned more than one LB in 10 years, not to mention RB, CB and a few other positions that have been a rotating door for them

the cap is like 123million right

Scorp
02-11-2011, 01:08 PM
I think you need some type of plan before you jump straight to pay cuts. Lots of great suggestions here.

LatrobePA
02-11-2011, 01:25 PM
You can add Aaron Smith to that 'retire or take the vet min' list, too.

You guys are onto something...

steelersbabex25
02-11-2011, 02:27 PM
They aren't going to ask him to take a pay cut, and he sure as hell isn't going to offer, so no. Some of the vets maybe taking a pay cut could be a worthy alternative though.

DanRooney
02-11-2011, 02:28 PM
llmao@Troy taking the "vet min." :lol:

Mr. Goosemahn
02-11-2011, 02:30 PM
Couple things:

- Cap room will probably be over $130 million. It was $127 million during the 09-10 season, the last one with a cap room.
- Ben won't take a pay cut, at least not right now.
- Kemo should be released, as I said in my mock offseason (http://www.steeleraddicts.com/forum/showthread.php?t=29574) :)
- Flozell Adams will not be with the team under that amount of money. He's the second highest paid offensive lineman and there's a very good chance he won't start next year (that is, if he returns and we resign Colon, both things I expect to happen).
- Farrior is actually a pretty good bargain right now, just taking over $3 million. The top LB's in the game are earning far more money, and while he's not an elite LB, he's more than solid, especially considering he's the "quarterback" of the defense, and the defensive captain.
- Really surprised to see Maurkice taking such a big cap charge, but I guess it's because of his bonuses and the incentives he reached.

steelersbabex25
02-11-2011, 02:34 PM
Couple things:

- Cap room will probably be over $130 million. It was $127 million during the 09-10 season, the last one with a cap room.
- Kemo should be released, as I said in my mock offseason (http://www.steeleraddicts.com/forum/showthread.php?t=29574) :)
- Flozell Adams will not be with the team under that amount of money. He's the second highest paid offensive lineman and there's a very good chance he won't start next year (that is, if he returns and we resign Colon, both things I expect to happen).
- Farrior is actually a pretty good bargain right now, just taking over $3 million. The top LB's in the game are earning far more money, and while he's not an elite LB, he's more than solid, especially considering he's the "quarterback" of the defense, and the defensive captain.
- Really surprised to see Maurkice taking such a big cap charge, but I guess it's because of his bonuses and the incentives he reached.

Kemo released? Are you insane?

cmerrifield
02-11-2011, 02:40 PM
Couple things:

Most people think 135 like I said, but that only gives us about 20 million. Ok, so we cut Kemo and that saves us nothing because of the accelerated bonus. Adams would save 5 million but that would be eaten up by Colon. Taylor will cost us at least 5 million, his salary last year was 6, after Roster bonus, signing bonus and base salary. So that leaves us 15 with no Woodley, kicker, punter, etc. Not to mention we need to.5 sign draft picks. I am just saying without someone like Ben taking a pay cut or somebody walking away or getting cut, it will be hard to improve this team and without young guys stepping up, we will get worse, maybe not this year, but in the next couple. I just feel like the difference between 15 million and 12 million a year is nothing, but you add 3 million to Timmons current 2.5 and you have 5.5 a year to offer Timmons.

Mr. Goosemahn
02-11-2011, 02:51 PM
Kemo released? Are you insane?

Nope, I honestly don't think much of Kemo and would rather have the money set aside for him invested elsewhere.

If we draft another guard, he could replace Kemo, who I don't think is much better than Foster, to tell you the truth. But seriously, read the other moves to understand releasing Kemo.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, he's overrated based solely on the one play where he pulls to the right.

Mike Tomlin
02-11-2011, 02:56 PM
Most people think 135 like I said, but that only gives us about 20 million. Ok, so we cut Kemo and that saves us nothing because of the accelerated bonus. Adams would save 5 million but that would be eaten up by Colon. Taylor will cost us at least 5 million, his salary last year was 6, after Roster bonus, signing bonus and base salary. So that leaves us 15 with no Woodley, kicker, punter, etc. Not to mention we need to.5 sign draft picks. I am just saying without someone like Ben taking a pay cut or somebody walking away or getting cut, it will be hard to improve this team and without young guys stepping up, we will get worse, maybe not this year, but in the next couple. I just feel like the difference between 15 million and 12 million a year is nothing, but you add 3 million to Timmons current 2.5 and you have 5.5 a year to offer Timmons.I think B-mac should fall on his sword and just quit, because I think we picked up that big contract arizona signed him to . He clearly didn't earn that at all,if we cut him how much would he save us?

cmerrifield
02-11-2011, 02:57 PM
I think B-mac should fall on his sword and just quit, because I think we picked up that big contract arizona signed him to . He clearly didn't earn that at all,if we cut him how much would he save us?

He would save about 2 million, I dont want him starting again that is for sure, but a healthy B-mac wouldnt be a bad backup.

Mr. Goosemahn
02-11-2011, 03:00 PM
Most people think 135 like I said, but that only gives us about 20 million. Ok, so we cut Kemo and that saves us nothing because of the accelerated bonus. Adams would save 5 million but that would be eaten up by Colon. Taylor will cost us at least 5 million, his salary last year was 6, after Roster bonus, signing bonus and base salary. So that leaves us 15 with no Woodley, kicker, punter, etc. Not to mention we need to sign draft picks. I am just saying without someone like Ben taking a pay cut or somebody walking away or getting cut, it will be hard to improve this team and without young guys stepping up, we will get worse, maybe not this year, but in the next couple.

If we cut Kemo before a certain date (usually March, but it will change under the new collective bargaining agreement) the cap charge is attached to this past season. If he's released/traded after that deadline, it falls for next season.

As for the cap room, we'll manage. There are a couple guys who will be forced to restructure or will be released.

There is no way Larry Foote will be the third highest paid linebacker on the team (or fourth with Woodley), no way Randle El and Battle will still earn more than Wallace, Sanders, and Brown, and other moves.

Realistic candidates for restructuring:

FS Ryan Clark
CB Bryant McFadden
OT Max Starks

Restructuring is what usually happens, not a paycut. Basically means they have their salary lowered by a certain amount that is paid as a bonus, almost always guaranteed, in a future year.

cmerrifield
02-11-2011, 03:13 PM
If we cut Kemo before a certain date (usually March, but it will change under the new collective bargaining agreement) the cap charge is attached to this past season. If he's released/traded after that deadline, it falls for next season.

We would have to cut Kemo now, and then hope for a stud guard in the FA whenever the new CBA is done. It would be a risky move, but I would be all for it as long as we sign somebody. I dont want Essex and Foster to be the starting Guards if we cut Kemo. I dont think you will see much restructuring and pushing off salaries for the next few years. We need to resign Wallace, Timmons, Woodley, and Mendenhall in the next couple years. I think you will see either a veteran like Smith cut or his salary lowered. I just dont see how pushing off a salary would help at this time. I also think Troy we be resigned with a lower salary for this year which will help. 8 million is a huge number for a safety, even Troy.

steelchamp204
02-11-2011, 03:14 PM
I think we should cut Kemo, and if were so worried about next year why dont we trade troy for some **** like the pats did this season with moss. We would prob get 4-5 picks in the first two rounds. Im not worried about players, Im worried about winning and winning sb's. Troy cant stay healthy and I know theres gonna be alot of ppl breaking my balls on this but we could get younger on defense alot quicker trading him. Hes not a bum, but we have to think future.

Mr. Goosemahn
02-11-2011, 03:27 PM
I think we should cut Kemo, and if were so worried about next year why dont we trade troy for some **** like the pats did this season with moss. We would prob get 4-5 picks in the first two rounds. Im not worried about players, Im worried about winning and winning sb's. Troy cant stay healthy and I know theres gonna be alot of ppl breaking my balls on this but we could get younger on defense alot quicker trading him. Hes not a bum, but we have to think future.

Actually, I believe we've got to think the opposite. This team has, at most, a 2 year window for another championship, because after that a major defensive overhaul will ensue, and the reason we get to the SB is largely due to the play of our defense. That's why I say we need to address current needs immediately, because basically every single defensive position will be a need in two years, and that's when we need to address them.

If we start focusing on needs for the future, we're not going to win #7 in these two years, which is the best chance we really have to win it.

Casey Hampton, Aaron Smith, Brett Keisel, James Harrison, James Farrior, Ike Taylor, Bryant McFadden, Troy Polamalu, and Ryan Clark (all starters) will be over 32 after two years, with about half of them being over 35.

After that, we've only got 4 talented guys for the future, and a couple average/question marks too.

Woodley, Timmons, Hood, and Worilds (nothing proven, but I believe in him) are the talented ones. Sylvester, Butler, Gay, and Mundy are the young ones. Again, not very promising. If we draft defensive players this year, we'll get absolutely no impact from them in the next two years. None. No safety will replace Troy, no NT will replace Hampton, no OLB will replace either Harrison or Woodley, no DE will replace Smith, Keisel, or Hood for that matter, no CB will replace Taylor, possibly even McFadden. That's why I want more immediate impact players this year, like an early guard, WR, TE, something that Ben can take advantage of, because our championship runs lie with him.

At the end of the day, it comes down to this:

Would you rather have two more years where we are legitimate contenders, or five plus years where we're probably a playoff team, but not really contenders? I'd rather have the former.

Blazedby92
02-11-2011, 05:07 PM

You know how funny that is because here in colt country they said that is the reason Peyton had a bad year because he had no OL and all young recievers, Ben did fine.

:plus1::plus1: and smith(retire)

Rampage
02-11-2011, 05:14 PM
Nope, I honestly don't think much of Kemo and would rather have the money set aside for him invested elsewhere.

If we draft another guard, he could replace Kemo, who I don't think is much better than Foster, to tell you the truth. But seriously, read the other moves to understand releasing Kemo.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, he's overrated based solely on the one play where he pulls to the right.

I agree about Kemoeatu. He has done nothing to impress me over the last couple of years. I felt he had a lot of potential, but that has apparently gone untapped. Maybe a few cases of Slimfast and an Airdyne bike could get him playing better.

airbrake 1
02-11-2011, 05:25 PM
The steelers are always at or near the cap limit...i don't know where all this bull about the steelers being cheap originates...the steelers front office are masters of working within the parameters of the salary cap...let's just hope that the salary cap doesn't go away in this new CBA or we could have another major league baseball situation on our hands, although i think the steelers would still be able to compete unlike the pirates in baseball...but you would still have teams like dallas and washington spending absurd money to win the super bowl

Mr. Goosemahn
02-11-2011, 05:35 PM
The steelers are always at or near the cap limit...i don't know where all this bull about the steelers being cheap originates...the steelers front office are masters of working within the parameters of the salary cap...let's just hope that the salary cap doesn't go away in this new CBA or we could have another major league baseball situation on our hands, although i think the steelers would still be able to compete unlike the pirates in baseball...but you would still have teams like dallas and washington spending absurd money to win the super bowl

This is a good point. We usually don't give out huge contracts, but we don't shy away from giving a good amount of significant contracts.

I'll look for the source, but we're currently the 7th most expensive team in the league (if I remember correctly), when it came to player salaries.

SteelDad
02-11-2011, 10:53 PM
Guys Kemo ain't the 2nd coming of Alan Faneca, but he isn't going anywhere. He was clearly our best run blocker this year along with Pouncey. Makes some dumb plays at times, but 68 will be back.

bensshoes
02-12-2011, 08:11 AM
I was looking at salary cap info at steelersdepot.com (http://www.steelersdepot.com/2011/02/steelers-2011-salary-cap-total-current-roster/) and Ben is cost us 15.8 million against a cap which experts think will be around 135 million. That means the average player can make 2.54 million a year. Now I know none of this is official without a CBA, but the owner will not agree to anything without a salary cap, so you know there is going to be one. Now, getting Taylor, Woodley, draft picks and any free agents this season will be tight. Then add that Wallace, Timmons, Smith and Troy will be free agents after next season leads me to believe we could be in trouble. The Steelers do not want Wallace, Timmons or Troy to hit the FA market after this season, so I am guessing they are our top priority after the 2010 free agents. So, should Ben take a pay cut? Peyton Manning did this several years ago too. If Ben doesnt, I think we will loose some key guys in the next couple years. I would think as the leader of the team and understanding what it takes to win, I think Ben should take a pay cut. Nothing against Ben's performance or anything, I just think its business and if you want to win, you need good players around you.

no way, elite QB's take the largest part of the pie that always has been always will be. They don't come any better and we should be happy to have a good one.

Clevelandsux
02-12-2011, 09:50 AM
First of all I don't know why you guys are quick to show Ward the door. He played goood in the SB. Hey Bettis took a paycut to stay with the team, some guys might because they might want to win a championship. Smith, I think his career is over. Roethlisberger is worth his weight in gold.

Rampage
02-12-2011, 12:11 PM
Guys Kemo ain't the 2nd coming of Alan Faneca, but he isn't going anywhere. He was clearly our best run blocker this year along with Pouncey. Makes some dumb plays at times, but 68 will be back.

If he comes back, that's cool, but he has to drop some weight. He can't do the old Big Snack "Pizza-a-day," offseason diet.

Nolrog
02-12-2011, 01:29 PM
There is a tremendous amount of fail in this thread.

bensshoes
02-12-2011, 06:25 PM
like that comment!

Scorp
02-12-2011, 06:35 PM
Hines said Plax would be welcomed with open arms. What a reunion that would be. Ben also said he loves Plax to death when they let him go after the 04 season. Plax, with his great play making ability and height would make a sweet addition to the Steelers recieving corps. Alot of you would probably disagree with me but i think so.