PDA

View Full Version : Deshea Townsend: Cardinals newest coaching addition

Big T
02-11-2011, 01:37 AM
Cardinals hire former Steeler Townsend as coach
By Scott Brown, PITTSBURGH TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Thursday, February 10, 2011

The Arizona Cardinals added more Steelers flavor to their coaching staff Thursday when they hired Deshea Townsend.

Townsend, who played cornerback for the Steelers from 1998-09, will coach the Cardinals' secondary. Townsend joined the Cardinals' staff a day after Ray Horton, his former position coach, was hired as Arizona's defensive coordinator.

Horton coached the Steelers' defensive backs for seven seasons before leaving for Arizona.

The Cardinals have six coaches on their staff with Steelers ties, starting with head coach Ken Whisenhunt.

This is Townsend's first coaching job. He played as recently as last season, appearing in eight games for the Indianapolis Colts before getting waived in November. In 12 seasons with the Steelers, Townsend intercepted 21 passes.

He returned to the Pittsburgh area after the Colts released him, and Townsend had been working as a guest host for Trib LIVE, a sport-driven Internet radio show that launched last month.
Read more: Cardinals hire former Steeler Townsend as coach - Pittsburgh Tribune-Review http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_722268.html#ixzz1DcqigXUX

this is just getting sad

andyg1984
02-11-2011, 01:52 AM
wow .. interested to see him get a shot ...

bensshoes
02-11-2011, 07:44 AM
good for him! Hope he does well.

Blazedby92
02-11-2011, 08:42 AM
The Whiz, He just can't get away from the Steelers, his love is forever Black and Gold no matter how desperate he needs a coach it has to be tied to Steeler Nation. LMAO

LatrobePA
02-11-2011, 09:48 AM
He's a good guy I wish nothing but the best of luck!

steelchamp204
02-11-2011, 09:58 AM
Can Whizenhunt actually build a team that has not played for the steelers? This **** is getting annoying. Next thing you know if we dont sign ike or woodley(ex.) hes gonna pick them up, I would gurantee it. Im suprised he hasnt picked up willy parker yet.

LatrobePA
02-11-2011, 10:21 AM
Can Whizenhunt actually build a team that has not played for the steelers? This **** is getting annoying. Next thing you know if we dont sign ike or woodley(ex.) hes gonna pick them up, I would gurantee it. Im suprised he hasnt picked up willy parker yet.

The answer is simple, NO!

harpo
02-11-2011, 10:31 AM
Any word on who the Steelers replaced Horton with?

andyg1984
02-11-2011, 10:35 AM
rod woodson wants to coach, right? lol

harpo
02-11-2011, 10:44 AM

Dude, I was thinking the exact same thing......lol :lol:

LatrobePA
02-11-2011, 10:50 AM

How sweet would that be!

steelersbabex25
02-11-2011, 03:30 PM
Good for him, he deserves it. He did good things while he was in Pittsburgh. All I can say is I hope we don't have to play the Cardinals in the superbowl anytime soon, because now they've got our defense and our offense covered...

Just wish Whiz would stop hiring all of our damn prospects.

cmerrifield
02-11-2011, 03:42 PM
After this season, I want Woodson to play not coach :lol:

Silverback
02-13-2011, 07:31 AM
Charlie Batch, Arizona Cardinals quarterbacks coach 2012, mark it down.

steelersbabex25
02-13-2011, 12:03 PM
Charlie Batch, Arizona Cardinals quarterbacks coach 2012, mark it down.

Hines Ward, Arizona Cardinals wide receivers coach :dunno:

Phenomenal TJ
02-13-2011, 12:17 PM
They'll pick up Moore when we cut him too.

SteelersWoman
02-14-2011, 05:26 AM
Hines Ward, Arizona Cardinals wide receivers coach :dunno:

I wanna see: Hines Ward, Pittsburgh Steelers wide receivers coach :tt02:

acero
02-15-2011, 01:29 AM
brunner az cards tight ends coach

Prosdo
02-15-2011, 02:44 AM

I have to agree. It is a little weird how he is always picking up former Steelers and former Steeler coaches. Even Adam Sheftner refers to it as Pittsburgh West on Twitter. I start to wonder if he can actually evaluate his own talent.

bigplaysteel
02-18-2011, 08:01 AM

Guess he is now going to do it. Pretty sure I heard someone on a radio talk show say he had been signed as some type of coach with the Raiders. Surprised no one mentioned this.

bensshoes
02-18-2011, 08:34 AM
I have to agree. It is a little weird how he is always picking up former Steelers and former Steeler coaches. Even Adam Sheftner refers to it as Pittsburgh West on Twitter. I start to wonder if he can actually evaluate his own talent.

Wiz knows this is what he wants out there and its easier to do it with people who've been in this system than to try-n force it on coaches who've not been on board plus we get too show our way works in more than just the Burgh!