PDA

View Full Version : What about this secondary scenario?

cmerrifield
02-10-2011, 03:52 PM
The more I think about it the more I think our only DB that needs replaced is Clark. Taylor and Butler could be the starting CB's Troy and a new safety for safeties. Then McFadden as the nickel back and Gay as the dime back. Had McFadden been healthy this year , he would have been good on a third WR. Then if we are in the dime package, we would have Gay who could cover or blitz. What do you all think?

Mike Tomlin
02-10-2011, 03:59 PM
I don't think B-Mac should be on the steelers roster period but if he is he should start training to be a back up free safety where he can always see the ball. I think Clark is fine for now we really need a corner. Don' t ever mention McFadden and nickelback in the same sentence. If you think he got roasted on the outside he would get run out the league on the inside

SteelDad
02-10-2011, 05:01 PM
While I think there is plenty to be critical about at times with Clark, replacing him is not necessary IMO. You start at the CB opposite Ike and go from there. Nickel, Dime, etc. I know a lot of folks like Gay as the nickel-back, but I'm not so sure the more I think about it. The guy blitzes as well as anyone from that position, but he struggled to cover some pretty average receivers and tight ends this season.

HUNT4SEVEN
02-10-2011, 06:23 PM
Well Ike contract is up so we have to first resign him hopefully:crossfingers:, I hope Butler wins that 2nd spot, I like Gay as a blitz er his coverage skills are weak, Clark is the weak link at safety and he doesn't hit like he use to anymore, so to me he is useless imo,he needs to be replace like he replaced Chris Hope after the SuperBowl, Clark always i mean always get beat deep, they have to address CB in the draft unless they make a move for Nnamdi Asomugha which we all know won't happen...I do like your scenario Cmerrified

Scorp
02-10-2011, 10:41 PM
Great posts ^^^

bigplaysteel
02-12-2011, 12:09 PM
I'm getting curious about Steeler draft priorities coming up in a couple months. I'm guessing at least 3 of 1st 5 picks D. Either 1, 3, 5, or 2, 3, 4. Surely a highly valued DB could fit in there.

Raleigh Steel
02-12-2011, 04:17 PM
willie gay chases receivers into the end zone better than any CB in the league.

time to part ways with this guy.

i'm not sold on b-fad either. switching to safety could be a good move.

clark's time is about up here too. he did do a lot of good for us but i think it's time for a replacement.

Dee Mca
02-12-2011, 04:47 PM
I don't see Ike resigning. I do believe the all mighty dollar is more powerful than the chance to win a Super Bowl. B-mac wasn't really that bad this season. Remember he was playing injuried. I think we should try and go after Bailey or Ronde Barber to play safety their both too old to play cb so odds are they will both change to Safety this year. Don't know much about Butler. I do know Gay is better as a nickle or dime back then he is as a started.

Mike Tomlin
02-12-2011, 05:03 PM
I don't see Ike resigning. I do believe the all mighty dollar is more powerful than the chance to win a Super Bowl. B-mac wasn't really that bad this season. Remember he was playing injuried. I think we should try and go after Bailey or Ronde Barber to play safety their both too old to play cb so odds are they will both change to Safety this year. Don't know much about Butler. I do know Gay is better as a nickle or dime back then he is as a started. I disagree with you on Ike and McFadden. Ike will sign soon for cheap, and B-Mac got roasted all year long just like last year with arizona which is why they sent him back. If we keep him he should be moved to free safety. Let him sit behind Clark for one year and see what hes got. Might be the next Ed Reed lol!

Mr. Goosemahn
02-12-2011, 05:45 PM
I disagree with you on Ike and McFadden. Ike will sign soon for cheap, and B-Mac got roasted all year long just like last year with arizona which is why they sent him back. If we keep him he should be moved to free safety. Let him sit behind Clark for one year and see what hes got. Might be the next Ed Reed lol!

Ike will most likely resign, definitely, but I don't think it'll be a cheap signing. I'm expecting something like a 4 year deal for $28 million, with $8 million guaranteed and escalating salaries during the first two years, maybe $1 or $2 million as a signing bonus.

As for McFadden, it's disappointing to see what's happened with him. I mean, he's not nearly as bad as some people say he is, he's solid when healthy, but that's the thing, he rarely is completely healthy. He had his best season two years ago, and I'm convinced it wasn't a coincidence that it just happened to be a contract year for him. He god a mild raise with Arizona, but absolutely sucked it up in their scheme. He came back and was doing okay, better than as a Cardinal, but not playing at the same level as he was playing two years ago. He got injured vs. Carolina during the regular season, and just wasn't himself in the playoffs.

There's also a theory going around that it's because of this injury that Troy Polamalu wasn't used nearly as much in the box. Combining that with his achilles injury and it's very clear why he didn't make any big plays during our three postseason games. Gay is much bigger liability in deep/out throws than McFadden is, so Polamalu had to help him out over the top.

Scorp
02-12-2011, 07:18 PM
Damn, i just hope Steelers make the best picks they've made in quite some time and get guys where we really need them to help us be a veteran and young, strong, force next season.

JensK
02-12-2011, 07:34 PM
I honestly think Gay is a better NB than McFadden.

Mr. Goosemahn
02-12-2011, 08:04 PM
I honestly think Gay is a better NB than McFadden.

I do too. William Gay is pretty good over the middle, he just struggles with deep routes or out routes.

pimplydan
02-13-2011, 04:10 PM
http://www.nfl.com/superbowl/story/09000d5d81e45302/article/expect-teams-to-study-copy-packers-plan-of-attack-vs-steelers?module=HP_spotlight

This is what I've been worring about ?

It's a copy cat league and Aaron rodgers exposed the steelers weakness very well .

Of course that doesn't mean every other qb has the dangables to do it . Rodgers is elite . Rodgers gets the ball out very quick and rodgers beats you with his eyes . His last TD pass in the superbowl is a great example . He beat Polamalu with his eyes on this play , never did Polamalu ever think he would come back to the far rightside of the endzone .

My point is , the steelers have to address the corner position first and foremost . Got to get a decent corner to take care of the second corner spot after Ike Taylor .

Phenomenal TJ
02-13-2011, 04:23 PM
They need to re-sign Taylor before worrying about a bookend for him. But, I agree, they need to address the secondary first and foremost. The offensive line will only improve with the starting tackles back, though it's still a need.

SteelDad
02-13-2011, 04:55 PM
I don't get it.... Teams have been doing this to the Steelers since the early 2000's when the Raiders under Gannon torched us at home and then Brady and company came along have done it several times and then Brees a few years ago and Brees again this past season and Rodgers last year and again last week.... Where do I stop?:banging: We have constantly been able to get away with average CB's for 10 years and it catches up to you after awhile which it did again in SB XLV.

This is nothing new. Re-sign Taylor and go get some more corners.

steelersbabex25
02-13-2011, 05:05 PM
They need to re-sign Taylor before worrying about a bookend for him. But, I agree, they need to address the secondary first and foremost. The offensive line will only improve with the starting tackles back, though it's still a need.

I would take Pouncey in the first round if he's still available, then spend the rest of the early rounds taking care of the secondary.

cmerrifield
02-13-2011, 06:39 PM
I think resigning Taylor is a given and Butler will be next year's other starting corner.

Mike Tomlin
02-13-2011, 08:27 PM
http://www.nfl.com/superbowl/story/09000d5d81e45302/article/expect-teams-to-study-copy-packers-plan-of-attack-vs-steelers?module=HP_spotlight

This is what I've been worring about ?

It's a copy cat league and Aaron rodgers exposed the steelers weakness very well .

Of course that doesn't mean every other qb has the dangables to do it . Rodgers is elite . Rodgers gets the ball out very quick and rodgers beats you with his eyes . His last TD pass in the superbowl is a great example . He beat Polamalu with his eyes on this play , never did Polamalu ever think he would come back to the far rightside of the endzone .

My point is , the steelers have to address the corner position first and foremost . Got to get a decent corner to take care of the second corner spot after Ike Taylor .

Yeah it's easy to say we're going to do the same thing Rodgers,Brady ,or Brees did to the steelers. The problem is not evryone has a Brees,Rodgers or Brady, who can make the right decision in a short amount of time. Side note I really hate cliches

Farrior Fan
02-14-2011, 02:14 AM
I think resigning Taylor is a given and Butler will be next year's other starting corner.

I hope you are right. Crezdon was Deion-esque at Clemson. Quite simply -NO ONE threw the ball to his side of the field. I cannot believe that he didn't get serious PT in the 2nd half of the season....He should be ready to rock now.

My other favorite of this past draft is Sylvester. Guy is gonna beast the NFL after Farrior retires. Mark it down with a Sharpie cause he will be permanent. Clay Matthews will hope to catch the gloves that he throws into the stands after games. Urlacher will follow his every tweet. Jack Lambert will ask him how to become meaner. Mike Wallace will admit that he is a close second to Sly in speed. Walker Texas Ranger will call Sly when he gets into a jam. Arnold Schwarzeneger will ask how did Sly get such big muscles. We will be able to play with 10 DBs because Sly will take care of the Dline and LB positions himself and never allow an opposing RB to gain over 15 yards in a game. Michael Jordan will ask him for advice on how to be a winner. Steeler Nation will embrace Sly as a Top 10 Steeler of all time. And I will get to sit back and watch the carnage. :tt02:

Goodfrom55
02-15-2011, 03:46 PM

I don't know enough about Butler to make an educated assessment of him.

Gay is not an everyday corner, B-Mac is not the answer, and although Clark knows the defense like the back of his hand, he just does not possess the skillset needed to handle the speedy receivers of the NFL.

Franchise Ike and sign Woody.

Top pick has to be a CB or a game changing FS. Otherwise, go OT.

Real Deal Steel
02-15-2011, 11:47 PM
We need to continue to upgrade the O-line. That is a must.
But we need to upgrade the secondary..seriously. And that is a must.

We have to use free agency for one of them. Because we can't seriously expect to win a superbowl without upgrading those two areas.

BlitzburghRockCity
02-16-2011, 06:13 PM
The Oline right now doesn't necessarily need an upgrade. The main key is what to do with the Tackle situation on the right side.

As far as the secondary goes though, it's the top priority this offseason no question. Using 2 draft picks, atleast 1 high round on a CB is a no brainer IMO.

Mike Tomlin
02-16-2011, 06:26 PM
The more I think about it we should sign Joseph and I wish we could sign the other Pouncey and seal up the interior for years. With Colon and Starks coming back, both of the Scott guys coming back one didn't get to play because of injury. Plus Flozell which I think we just got the last good year left in him, but he's signed for one more year. We would have to trade up too high to get one of the elite corners in the draft whereas Pouncey will go in the middle between 17-25. We know Joseph is proven corner who won't be as high priced as the other corners on the market and he's our type of free agent signing. I mean there won't be a good tackle or corner available when we pick anyway.We already got a line where third string and fourth string tackles took us to the super bowl, now we get 2 starting tackles back.

steelersbabex25
02-16-2011, 06:31 PM
The more I think about it we should sign Joseph and I wish we could sign the other Pouncey and seal up the interior for years.

Pouncey IS supposed to go late in the first round. And we have a late draft pick. Ding ding ding, we have a winner.

Real Deal Steel
02-17-2011, 12:44 AM
Having the Pouncey brothers would be nice but I gotta believe the Ravens are going to be ********s and take him just ahead of us.

Mike Tomlin
02-17-2011, 01:15 AM
Having the Pouncey brothers would be nice but I gotta believe the Ravens are going to be ********s and take him just ahead of us.
My guess would be the Patriots. No ones gonna want us to get him that's why we would have to move up.

Mr. Goosemahn
02-17-2011, 03:45 AM
My guess would be the Patriots. No ones gonna want us to get him that's why we would have to move up.

Eh, I don't think a team would simply take him just so we don't have him, they'd take him because they truly need a guard.

That being said, I could definitely see a team trading down from a higher pick or trading up from a lower pick for him. In any case, we're in a pretty good spot to get him right now (as of right now, he is not close to Maurkice's level).

Don't let Maurkice's and Mike Iupati's draft position last year fool you, interior offensive linemen RARELY go top 20. Maurkice and Iupati are pretty rare physical specimens for their respective positions, and they also dominated at the college level, which no interior offensive lineman did this year.

For analysis/comparison's sake, here are all the interior offensive lineman that have gone in the first round in the past years:

Pick - Team - Player

17. San Francisco 49ers - OG Mike Iupati, Idaho
18. Pittsburgh Steelers - C Maurkice Pouncey, Florida

21. Cleveland Browns - C Alex Mack, California
28. Buffalo Bills - C Eric Wood, Louisville

None

29. Baltimore Ravens - OG Ben Grubbs, Auburn

23. Tampa Bay Buccaneers - OG Davin Joseph, Oklahoma
29. New York Jets - C Nick Mangold, Ohio State

All of these guys were consensus #1's at their position (with the exception of Wood), something Mike Pouncey isn't.

Many draft analysts agree that Mike will improve his draft stock based on his brothers' performance, but I doubt most NFL scouts will fall for this. This comparison probably affects the way fans and amateur NFL Draftniks see him, not the professionals, IMO. In any case, Mike will not be drafted as a center, he struggled too much, but still has skill as a guard. Unfortunately for him, but fortunately for us, there are a couple other guards who will surely improve their stock in a few days in the Combine, being TCU's Marcus Cannon and Baylor's Danny Watson. Cannon is a mammoth of a man who will showcase his athleticism and Watson is not a great athlete, but he's shown unbelievable skill at picking up the game while only having played it for 4 years.

In any case, Mike too will get the chance to improve his draft stock, and I hope he doesn't. He's very athletic, traps/pulls well, and is gritty. He'd be great at RG.

Callax
02-17-2011, 11:14 AM
Resign Ike,
I doubt Butler will go from inactive allyear his rookie year to starter his 2nd... not with Gay and B-Mac here.
We need another vetern corner, I think Rogers from Wash. He doesn't have great hands, but he has the talent and youth to movr B-Mac to #3 (Or safety) and Gay to #4
getting Pouncy would be great and possible without losing alot to trade up.

Mike Tomlin
02-17-2011, 12:36 PM
Eh, I don't think a team would simply take him just so we don't have him, they'd take him because they truly need a guard.

That being said, I could definitely see a team trading down from a higher pick or trading up from a lower pick for him. In any case, we're in a pretty good spot to get him right now (as of right now, he is not close to Maurkice's level).

Don't let Maurkice's and Mike Iupati's draft position last year fool you, interior offensive linemen RARELY go top 20. Maurkice and Iupati are pretty rare physical specimens for their respective positions, and they also dominated at the college level, which no interior offensive lineman did this year.

For analysis/comparison's sake, here are all the interior offensive lineman that have gone in the first round in the past years:

Pick - Team - Player

17. San Francisco 49ers - OG Mike Iupati, Idaho
18. Pittsburgh Steelers - C Maurkice Pouncey, Florida

21. Cleveland Browns - C Alex Mack, California
28. Buffalo Bills - C Eric Wood, Louisville

None

29. Baltimore Ravens - OG Ben Grubbs, Auburn

23. Tampa Bay Buccaneers - OG Davin Joseph, Oklahoma
29. New York Jets - C Nick Mangold, Ohio State

All of these guys were consensus #1's at their position (with the exception of Wood), something Mike Pouncey isn't.

Many draft analysts agree that Mike will improve his draft stock based on his brothers' performance, but I doubt most NFL scouts will fall for this. This comparison probably affects the way fans and amateur NFL Draftniks see him, not the professionals, IMO. In any case, Mike will not be drafted as a center, he struggled too much, but still has skill as a guard. Unfortunately for him, but fortunately for us, there are a couple other guards who will surely improve their stock in a few days in the Combine, being TCU's Marcus Cannon and Baylor's Danny Watson. Cannon is a mammoth of a man who will showcase his athleticism and Watson is not a great athlete, but he's shown unbelievable skill at picking up the game while only having played it for 4 years.

In any case, Mike too will get the chance to improve his draft stock, and I hope he doesn't. He's very athletic, traps/pulls well, and is gritty. He'd be great at RG.

I said the patriots because they have to first round picks and their oline is getting old. The Pouncey's are exactly the type of players The hoodie likes so i could see them taking him.

Mr. Goosemahn
02-18-2011, 01:40 AM
I said the patriots because they have to first round picks and their oline is getting old. The Pouncey's are exactly the type of players The hoodie likes so i could see them taking him.

True, Belichick is a big fan of former Gators.

In any case, the Patriots always trade down and get tons of picks for next year, so I'm thinking they'll to this again this year.

Mike Tomlin
02-18-2011, 11:55 AM
True, Belichick is a big fan of former Gators.

In any case, the Patriots always trade down and get tons of picks for next year, so I'm thinking they'll to this again this year.Let's hope that's the plan this year.

coldrolled
02-23-2011, 08:04 AM
Resign Ike,
I doubt Butler will go from inactive allyear his rookie year to starter his 2nd... not with Gay and B-Mac here.
We need another vetern corner, I think Rogers from Wash. He doesn't have great hands, but he has the talent and youth to movr B-Mac to #3 (Or safety) and Gay to #4
getting Pouncy would be great and possible without losing alot to trade up.

Bengals Unlikely to Use Franchise Tag in 2011
The Cincinnati Bengals are unlikely to use their franchise tag in 2011, Joe Reedy of the Cincinnati Enquirer reports.

Cornerback Jonathan Joseph and running back Cedric Benson are the team's top candidates to be designated with a one-year franchise tender by Wednesday's 4pm ET deadline.

A first-round pick (24th overall) out of South Carolina in 2006, Joseph earned $1.625 million in 2010, the final year of his rookie contract. Because Joseph's base salary increased by more than 30%, the two sides were unable to do a long-term extension during the 2010 league year, which ends along with the collective bargaining agreement on March 3.

In his 67-game NFL career, which has included 58 starts, Joseph has 272 tackles, 14 interceptions, and 76 passes defensed.

coldrolled
02-23-2011, 11:07 AM
this was a good one from the afc north blog

What will the Steelers do at cornerback?

As their Super Bowl XLV loss to the Green Bay Packers proved, the Steelers must add quality depth in the secondary. The Packers, New England Patriots and New Orleans Saints provide the blueprint of how to beat Pittsburgh's vaunted defense: spread the Steelers out with multiple receivers.

The Steelers simply don't have enough good cornerbacks to defend three- and four-receiver sets. This also takes Pittsburgh's strongest players-- its linebackers -- off the field in favor of players such as William Gay and Anthony Madison.

Now that linebacker LaMarr Woodley received the franchise tag, veteran cornerback and pending free agent Ike Taylor is Pittsburgh's No. 1 priority. Taylor is Pittsburgh's best corner, but he's also 31 and the Steelers must gauge how much money and how many years to give to him.

The draft will also be important. Previous draft picks at corner such as Keenan Lewis, Joe Burnett and Crezdon Butler have not panned out for the Steelers, who typically address this position in the middle rounds. It's time Pittsburgh invests a high draft pick at this position to increase the probability of finding a future starter.

Do not be surprised if Pittsburgh retains Taylor in free agency and spends its first- or second-round pick on a cornerback in April to fix this issue.