PDA

View Full Version : Tomlin to keep Bruce Arians

coldrolled
02-10-2011, 09:27 AM
Coach Mike Tomlin wants to retain both coordinators who are in the final year of their contracts -- Dick LeBeau on defense and Bruce Arians on offense -- and does not plan changes at any other coaching positions.

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/steelers/#ixzz1DYvHQY50

SteelDad
02-10-2011, 10:54 AM
Coach Mike Tomlin wants to retain both coordinators who are in the final year of their contracts -- Dick LeBeau on defense and Bruce Arians on offense -- and does not plan changes at any other coaching positions.

Thanks for the link cold. I just hurled all over my keyboard reading that.

DIESELMAN
02-10-2011, 11:21 AM

You shouldn't have done that, BA is not worth the effort bro :greengrin:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

coldrolled
02-10-2011, 11:53 AM

Tomlin said today in the gazette, he wants to retain DL and BA.....

I hope its a smoke screen so the FO can get rid of BA, that way no players are mad at Tomlin for letting BA go.... like ben for one....

:thinking: :pray:

LatrobePA
02-10-2011, 12:12 PM
Tomlin is a jackass then!!

jackhammer1
02-10-2011, 12:20 PM
Why don't we give him to Arizona since Wizzy wants to take all of our players and coaches. He could have BA for free.

UKSTEELER
02-10-2011, 12:22 PM

My crappy week, just got a whole lot worse . . . . :evilshake:

SteelDad
02-10-2011, 01:13 PM
You shouldn't have done that, BA is not worth the effort bro :greengrin:

I know and now my chest hurts from the heaving!:yuck1:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tomlin said today in the gazette, he wants to retain DL and BA.....

I hope its a smoke screen so the FO can get rid of BA, that way no players are mad at Tomlin for letting BA go.... like ben for one....

:thinking: :pray:

Could be, but what scares me is the CBA issue. FO may figure it's easier to retain BA now and cut him loose after his contract expires. Personally, bring in a new guy now and get BR working on the new O.

andyg1984
02-10-2011, 01:36 PM
im not sure which is worse .. not making the adjustments or admitting you simply did not make them for the said reasons ??

harpo
02-10-2011, 01:47 PM
Read the story here:

Tomlin to keep Arians (http://communityvoices.sites.post-gazette.com/index.php/sports/bob-smiziks-blog/27418-tomlin-to-keep-arians)

:banging:

LatrobePA
02-10-2011, 01:58 PM
"Coach T is a pussy"

harpo
02-10-2011, 02:08 PM
"Coach T is a pussy"

LMAO!!!! :lol:

HUNT4SEVEN
02-10-2011, 02:40 PM
:cursin:This is BULLSH&!:cursin:I know Tomlin better add a REAL FB in this years draft then.

steelchamp204
02-10-2011, 03:32 PM
wow tomlin really? come on man. **** this noise

NHStlrfan
02-10-2011, 03:36 PM
The article asks for any other OC out that there would be top rate. Wasn't Charlie Wiess available last year and yet we kept BA?! I recommend K-Train! Are you up for it?! ;)

steelersbabex25
02-10-2011, 03:42 PM
Officially time for the owners to step in and do something about this. Tomlin is apparently Ben's bitch. That's the only reason why he's keeping Arians.

Cricker24
02-10-2011, 04:23 PM
so let's see 2 Super Bowl appearances, including a win, in the past 3 seasons isn't good enough. an offense that in 2009 featured a 4,000 yard passer, a 1,000 yard rusher, two 1,000 yard wide receivers and a tight end that set franchise records isn't good enough. an offense that this past season lost its starting RT in training camp, was without its starting quarterback for the first quarter of the the regular season yet still managed to win 3 of its first 4 games isn't good enough. an offense that throughout the season lost its starting RT, and basically played with a patchwork offensive line the entire season AND then lost its Pro Bowl ROOKIE center early in the AFC Championship Game (which by the way the team got to because they won their division and had the 2nd best record in their conference) isn't good enough. then in the Super Bowl against the 2nd ranked defense in the NFL and down 21-3, the offense is able to outscore the opposition 22-10 the rest of the game and had a chance to win the game at the end isn't good enough. i realize Steeler fans have come to expect championships every year, but come on. there isn't one OC out there that is perfect. even the mighty Patriots offense wasn't perfect in every game...especially when it mattered most in the playoffs. i don't expect every fan of any team to agree with everything their favorite team does. if we didn't have debate sports would be boring. but to call a coach a p***y or someone's b***h is ridiculous. i'm sorry, i don't usually get into these types of discussions, but i just felt i had to say something. i'm sure i'll get blasted for this post and that's to be expected. so, fire away people, fire away.

Chris

steelersbabex25
02-10-2011, 04:33 PM
so let's see 2 Super Bowl appearances, including a win, in the past 3 seasons isn't good enough. an offense that in 2009 featured a 4,000 yard passer, a 1,000 yard rusher, two 1,000 yard wide receivers and a tight end that set franchise records isn't good enough. an offense that this past season lost its starting RT in training camp, was without its starting quarterback for the first quarter of the the regular season yet still managed to win 3 of its first 4 games isn't good enough. an offense that throughout the season lost its starting RT, and basically played with a patchwork offensive line the entire season AND then lost its Pro Bowl ROOKIE center early in the AFC Championship Game (which by the way the team got to because they won their division and had the 2nd best record in their conference) isn't good enough. then in the Super Bowl against the 2nd ranked defense in the NFL and down 21-3, the offense is able to outscore the opposition 22-10 the rest of the game and had a chance to win the game at the end isn't good enough. i realize Steeler fans have come to expect championships every year, but come on. there isn't one OC out there that is perfect. even the mighty Patriots offense wasn't perfect in every game...especially when it mattered most in the playoffs. i don't expect every fan of any team to agree with everything their favorite team does. if we didn't have debate sports would be boring. but to call a coach a p***y or someone's b***h is ridiculous. i'm sorry, i don't usually get into these types of discussions, but i just felt i had to say something. i'm sure i'll get blasted for this post and that's to be expected. so, fire away people, fire away.

Chris

None of those stats that you just listed had ANYTHING to do with Bruce Arians. That's individuals working hard under Bruce Arians. He gets no credit for anything that's been done. Also, yeah, the 2 superbowls in the last 3 seasons, go ahead and credit the defense for that. Thanks.

coldrolled
02-10-2011, 04:36 PM
Cricker24... Thats why he is still here i guess... overall records and stats say he is good.... The... when it counts stats are not in your equation.. the redzone.. the 5 wide on our own 3 yard line.. moore up the middle against the biggest NT's... Passing on 3rd and 1 and 3rd and 2 ... Barely any play action. yada yada yada...

You may be right... I may be right.... Personally i believe if we had better game plans with Ben and our WR's and RB's we should be 15-1 16-0 and every team would fear us... Noone fears our offense and Ben is not considered an elite QB.. And no team is trying to get BA knowing his contract is up?? Just my view.. Oh and we should have won the SB this year also... I blame BA.. some other article tells us what BA was thinking during the game, rest my case..

harpo
02-10-2011, 04:40 PM
I'm sorry cold....

I didn't know that you had already started a thread on it.

coldrolled
02-10-2011, 04:50 PM
I'm sorry cold....

I didn't know that you had already started a thread on it.

Funny, i didnt start this thread... some forum god started it or me.. :cope:

BlitzburghRockCity
02-10-2011, 04:52 PM
We were getting too many Arians discussions in 2 other threads so I just merged them and gave you the honors since you gave us the link first :D

Clevelandsux
02-10-2011, 06:07 PM
This is the worst news I heard since losing the sb.

coldrolled
02-10-2011, 06:17 PM
This is the worst news I heard since losing the sb.

praying that it is a tomlin smoke screen..... com'on rooney swing that axe....

Ibleedblk&gld
02-10-2011, 07:34 PM
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

I HAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAATE BA

Three Four
02-10-2011, 07:34 PM
I didn't know anyone who could be more stubborn than Cowher. Then Tomlin became headcoach. I nickname him "the mule".

Rampage
02-10-2011, 07:35 PM
At least all the players will know all the plays and every gameplan.

North Steel
02-10-2011, 07:40 PM
FU_K :banging:

Cricker24
02-10-2011, 07:47 PM
Also, yeah, the 2 superbowls in the last 3 seasons, go ahead and credit the defense for that. Thanks.

yeah, in Super Bowl 43 the defense did a great job holding that 20-7 lead. and the defense did great holding 4th quarter leads in 2009 despite the offense putting up franchise records. don't get me wrong, the defense is awesome and i wouldn't trade them for any other current defense, but i just don't understand why everyone blames Arians for every single thing the offense does wrong. what about the players not executing?

i know there are multiple examples of what i'm about to say, but here's 2 plays i can think of from Super Bowl 45. when Ben threw that 2nd pick, Heath was wide open, but Ben forced it to Wallace. do i blame Arians or Ben for that one? i don't know because i don't know what the read progression was. did i say "why did Ben throw it there?" yes i did, but again i don't know how the play was drawn up. the other play from Sunday that comes to mind is Mendenhall's fumble. the Steelers get 8 yards on 1st down to end the 3rd quarter and facing a 2nd and 2, Arians calls another run. i'm sure there were people saying, "that call was predictable" or "why are they running again?" if Arians would've called a pass people would have complained that he didn't call a running play with just 2 yards to go. damned if you, do damned if you don't. anyway, the running play that was called resulted in Mendenhall fumbling the football and the Packers got it, which in my opinion was the final blow to the Steelers attempt at a comeback. do i blame Mendenhall for fumbling the ball or David Johnson for missing his block? no, i tip my hat to the Packers defense for making a play.

listen, i'm not trying to get everyone to be an Arians supporter...that's not going to happen and it shouldn't. i just don't understand all the hate for the man. that's my :2cents: and i'll leave it at that.

Chris :tt02:

steelersbabex25
02-10-2011, 07:58 PM
yeah, in Super Bowl 43 the defense did a great job holding that 20-7 lead. and the defense did great holding 4th quarter leads in 2009 despite the offense putting up franchise records. don't get me wrong, the defense is awesome and i wouldn't trade them for any other current defense, but i just don't understand why everyone blames Arians for every single thing the offense does wrong. what about the players not executing?

i know there are multiple examples of what i'm about to say, but here's 2 plays i can think of from Super Bowl 45. when Ben threw that 2nd pick, Heath was wide open, but Ben forced it to Wallace. do i blame Arians or Ben for that one? i don't know because i don't know what the read progression was. did i say "why did Ben throw it there?" yes i did, but again i don't know how the play was drawn up. the other play from Sunday that comes to mind is Mendenhall's fumble. the Steelers get 8 yards on 1st down to end the 3rd quarter and facing a 2nd and 2, Arians calls another run. i'm sure there were people saying, "that call was predictable" or "why are they running again?" if Arians would've called a pass people would have complained that he didn't call a running play with just 2 yards to go. damned if you, do damned if you don't. anyway, the running play that was called resulted in Mendenhall fumbling the football and the Packers got it, which in my opinion was the final blow to the Steelers attempt at a comeback. do i blame Mendenhall for fumbling the ball or David Johnson for missing his block? no, i tip my hat to the Packers defense for making a play.

listen, i'm not trying to get everyone to be an Arians supporter...that's not going to happen and it shouldn't. i just don't understand all the hate for the man. that's my :2cents: and i'll leave it at that.

Chris :tt02:

Draw play in the end zone is really the only response necessary for this post.

Ibleedblk&gld
02-10-2011, 08:14 PM
how about running our smallest RB on our goaline against the jets the first time around when that safety ****ed us...or empty backfield on numerous 3rd and 1's, yet running play on 3rd and long...i could keep going...

Raleigh Steel
02-10-2011, 08:42 PM
i think we could promote fichtner to OC...keep basically the same system in place but with better play calling.

as much as i hate BA i don't blame him for the SB loss. there were a few plays that i didn't like but in the end, the players didn't execute. they left a lot of plays on the field...especially ben's accuracy in the first half.

the problem i've had with BA is that there is no rhyme or reason to his play calling. it seems that he doesn't take into consideration the situation of the game, i.e. down and distance, field position, time on the clock, defenses weaknesses, personnel, etc....

and watching his offense is basically predicated on ben making chicken salad out of chicken ****, or mendy/redman bouncing a running play. how often do you see a play work that was because of the actual design of the play? especially in the passing game.

i will say this...this season was the best season BA has ever had as an OC. that isn't saying much for the rest of his career.

steelersbabex25
02-10-2011, 08:46 PM
BA has short term memory loss I think. Something will work, it catches the other defense completely off guard, and then he completely abandons it. That's a scary quality to have in an offensive coordinator.

Three Four
02-10-2011, 10:19 PM
When you don't go after the 2nd stringers, you are either a British badminton prude or you are stupid?

Scorp
02-10-2011, 11:46 PM
:imho:.....:+1:

madtowndrunkard
02-11-2011, 12:31 AM
The only stat that Arians is ultimately responsible for is scoring. Since he's ran our offense we have consistently struggled to score points. Occasionally we'll get it done, but most of the time it is our defense bailing out the offense. Its our defense keeping the score close enough for our offense to just get over on shear talent.

If we lacked talent on offense then I don't think Arians would be getting too much criticism. Problem is most agree that our offense is loaded with talent. I mean think about it...... what offense can say that have more talent then ours? not too many. Yet scoring we consistently end up in the middle of the league.

What does Arians need to score more points? Over the past few years he's had some of the best WR's in the league. A stud QB. A stud RB. A damn good TE. Offensive line has been average at best but I think you could argue much of that problem lies on Arians shoulders. Hes made NO attempt to deal with poor pass blocking. Arians sticks to his beliefs no matter what.

Asking Ben to throw for 4000 yards looks nice on paper. But that came with a price... more turnovers, more pressure on the defense, and more losses.

Mr. Goosemahn
02-11-2011, 05:48 AM
Eh, I'm not too pissed. I'm not a big Arians fan, for sure, but we could do worse. For the most part, he's a good play-caller. It's in short yardage situation that he just effs things up.

If the running game is struggling, he runs. If the pass game is struggling, he passes. If the running game is going great, he passes. If the passing game is going great, he runs. He tries too hard to find a balance, he just needs to evaluate what is working and keep working off of that, not around it.

edit: also, I know many Steelers fans have long witnessed a strong running game in Pittsburgh, but to be quite honest, it's pass or go home right now. There will be a time when the running game will rule again, but it's not the time now.

steeldoc
02-11-2011, 08:19 AM
Ok so in a perfect world, BA gets kidnapped by muslim terrorists who are a secret faction of the black and gold jihadists, taken to Pakistan for good....who would you like to see run the Steeler offense? For the life of me, who is an elite O coordinator? Josh Mcdaniels?:thinking::thinking:

coldrolled
02-11-2011, 09:33 AM
If the pass game is struggling, he passes. If the running game is going great, he passes. If the passing game is going great, he runs. He tries too hard to find a balance, he just needs to evaluate what is working and keep working off of that, not around it..

you forget the best arians trait.. if the team sucks at run defense he passes. Say SB..
Or Browns game 2009... Windy and Cold same thing.. Pass pass pass. With no adjustments... Screw him..

First 3 plays i think he passed in the SB... balance... 14 atts by mendy 40 by ben..

Hoenstly. Any coach who will steal some short yardage plays from NE and implement them for us would be better... Who actually called plays for Farve, Harvin and Peterson last year? Childress or Favre? You cant count this year as Farve's age and attitude exploded on the team and destroyed them this year...

Maybe Farve should be OC? Where is Childress? He is hiding... First 5 teams wanted him, now he is in hiding.

--- Added 2/11/2011 at 07:33 AM ---

Titans are looking also...

Jets Block Titans' Attempt to Interview Bill Callahan
The New York Jets have denied the Tennessee Titans' request to interview offensive line coach Bill Callahan for their offensive coordinator vacancy, ESPN's John Clayton reports, via Rich Cimini of ESPNNewYork.com.

steelchamp204
02-11-2011, 10:06 AM
Bruce Arians wouldnt be a bad coach if he.

1. Ran some more slants.
2. Rb back screens instead of 6 wr screens a game
3. Used a fullback
4. Run on 3rd and 1(with a fullback)
5. When mendenhall is avg 4.5 yards a carry during a game, dont give him 10 touches.
6. Less Moore on goaline situations.
7. How bout Ben in shotgun a little more
8. Stop it with the slow developing draws on 3rd and 10
9. Maybe give redman 6-10 touches EVERY game(the kid is a waste of talent)
10. Get ahead of teams in the first half instead of waiting till the 3rd quarter.
11. Stop always trying to get the big play, come up with some plays that the wr's dont have to take forever to run there route.

anyone else want to go on? lol

coldrolled
02-11-2011, 10:26 AM

1. Ran some more slants.
3. Used a fullback
5. When mendenhall is avg 4.5 yards a carry during a game, dont give him 10 touches.
10. Get ahead of teams in the first half instead of waiting till the 3rd quarter.
11. Stop always trying to get the big play, come up with some plays that the wr's dont have to take forever to run there route.

Moore up the middle into big NT's.. Draw plays with moore from the 1 yard line, our 1 yard line up the middle.. and Redman and Mendy are watching on the sidelines?

Can we send this list to the gazette and have them ask tomlin or BA these questions???

The pitt news media is way to easy on this BA stuff. BA is like a media untouchable and he nevers has to answer any hard questions he just says what he wants and boy does he shove his foot in his mouth on those press releases... is he married to a rooney girl maybe??

harpo
02-11-2011, 10:27 AM

1. Ran some more slants.
3. Used a fullback

LOL.....:lol:

Moore up the middle into big NT's.. Draw plays with more from the 1 yard line, our 1 yard line up the middle.. and Redman and Mendy are watching on the sidelines?

Can we send this list to the gazette and have them ask tomlin or BA these questions???

The pitt news media is way to easy on this BA stuff. BA is like a media untouchable and he nevers has to answer any hard questions he just says what he wants and boy does he shove his foot in his mouth on those press releases... is he married to a rooney girl maybe??

You guys are in rare form this morning.....lol :lol:

LatrobePA
02-11-2011, 10:33 AM
is he married to a rooney girl maybe??

You could say that, and BEN is her/his name!!

steelchamp204
02-11-2011, 04:04 PM
Moore up the middle into big NT's.. Draw plays with moore from the 1 yard line, our 1 yard line up the middle.. and Redman and Mendy are watching on the sidelines?

If yu give this to the zette I will pay you 300 dollars paypal when its in the paper, BuT i WANT MYNAME ON IT LMAO. Seriously the list is correct, Im not bitching, just stating the obvious. Myabe if BR gets to interview him he can ask him them questions.

tburg68
02-11-2011, 09:55 PM
There is nothing wrong with the plays in the Steelers playbook. BA has shown an ability to call a series of good plays that lead to touchdowns.

That being said, the reason he HAS to go is because he lacks an understanding of important GAME CHANGING moments. Red Zone trips have to be treated with the utmost importance. When the Steelers have momentum, certain drives could "put the game away". When the defense causes a turnover, a scoring drive can take control of the game.

If five passes in a row have worked, pass a sixth time. If RM has carried for 40 yards on five consecutive carries, run it a sixth time. MAKE the defense stop what is WORKING! He just does not get it.

I don't have a name to offer as a replacement, but I don't think you can do much worse, so anyone hired would be an upgrade.

BlitzburghRockCity
02-12-2011, 10:41 PM
There is nothing wrong with the plays in the Steelers playbook. BA has shown an ability to call a series of good plays that lead to touchdowns.

That being said, the reason he HAS to go is because he lacks an understanding of important GAME CHANGING moments. Red Zone trips have to be treated with the utmost importance. When the Steelers have momentum, certain drives could "put the game away". When the defense causes a turnover, a scoring drive can take control of the game.

If five passes in a row have worked, pass a sixth time. If RM has carried for 40 yards on five consecutive carries, run it a sixth time. MAKE the defense stop what is WORKING! He just does not get it.

I don't have a name to offer as a replacement, but I don't think you can do much worse, so anyone hired would be an upgrade.

Well said, and game changing moments can come at any time. When a teams top defender goes down with an injury you immediately go after that position and see if you can get a big play. The defense will know you're doing it and shift help to that side to assist. That then opens up possibilities all over the place. The "go for the throat" or "dagger" mentality does not exist on this team and it needs to.

SteelerCountry58
02-12-2011, 11:32 PM
I think BA has enough firepower on O but doesn't have the horses up front,
a legit fullback for proper protection or quick dump offs needed in case
of breakdowns in passing situations. He needs to evaluate his schemes and needs
to go for the throat like BRC was saying. We are a running team first and foremost.
We need smashmouth lineman and a rhino fullback to block for Mendy plus I'd
love to see a guy like Noel Devine back there as a scat back to spell Mendy.
Number one priority is to stock this coming draft with O line help followed by
secondary help.