PDA

View Full Version : Bruce Arians admits they didn't go after Packers secondary

Three Four
02-09-2011, 08:03 PM
"Steelers offensive coordinator Bruce Arians spoke after the loss to the Green Bay Packers in Super Bowl XLV.
Arians said the offense didnít get off to the start they wanted and hurt themselves in the first half. Although the Packers were without cornerback Charles Woodson in the second half, Arians and the offense didnít make any adjustments. He said he allows the quarterback to make plays and they donít attack players."

I remember a few years ago Belichek went after Anthony Smith. Brady and Moss exploited him. A I thought that was pretty standard. In football 101 parlance, it's called mismatches. You dont' throw to the Champ Bailey side of the field. You throw where Bryan McFadden or Will Gay are. Rodgers did. The Packers won.

For some inexplicable reason, Arians and Ben did not exploit the backups in the Packers secondary. that's stupid football. So instead of sending Brown and Wallace on go routes, you have them run curls? Please? The Steelers could have won the game by doing the basics. Instead, they failed to do the obvious and lost.

Finally, Ben showed initiative in the Ravens games, when in the 4th quarter, he changed the play on 3rd and 19. Where was that initiative on Sunday? Ben is an opportunist. He's not a finesse QB like Rodgers. Here was a golden opportunity and he let did not take advantage of it. That is very out of character for Ben.

http://pittsburgh.cbslocal.com/2011/02/07/arians-didnt-get-off-to-the-start-we-wanted/

Ambridge
02-09-2011, 09:04 PM
"They don't attack players"

I don't know what's more MORONIC..that you don't try to Probe and Exploit a possible weakness during a game or that you actually go on the record and openly admit that you don't do it???
I would think a Smart Coach would have a Handful of contingent plays on the call sheet to exploit the best defensive players at each position should they leave the game due to a injury.
Absolutely Inexcusible!!

What more do the Rooney's need to hear and see??
Let this Jackass walk!!

BlitzburghRockCity
02-09-2011, 09:16 PM
Every Steeler fan on the planet was screaming to attack the secondary. They were depleted for the last couple minutes of the first and Woodson was gone the rest of the game. It's what making adjustments is all about. Good coaches do that...

SteelJunkie
02-09-2011, 10:09 PM
I had a dream that Arians didn't get re-signed and Batch took retirement and won the OC job. Then again they had pole dancers on the 50 at halftime.

Real Deal Steel
02-09-2011, 11:08 PM
Bruce Arians is a turd. And if he dissapeared tomorrow, I wouldn't shed a tear.

Him calling a pass play on our on 7 yard line was a key factor in us losing this game.

LatrobePA
02-09-2011, 11:49 PM
This guy is so damn worthless it's not funny!

HUNT4SEVEN
02-10-2011, 12:01 AM
Reading Sh&! like this makes me wanna choke the SH&! outta BA:cursin:, He has to go the Steelers would be crazy to resign this bum:cursin:

pimplydan
02-10-2011, 12:16 AM
They don't want to get rid of Ben's golf partner because they don't want to hurt Bens fealings .

No really I don't know. One thing I do know is that we have a hell of a offense . We shouldn't have to take one step backwards for every 2 steps forward as it seems we often do . Lets get this offense rolling like it should be able to .

I don't know what the solution really is but lets get this talented offense rolling like it could and should be . If that means a new O coach , sole be it .

So Arians come up with the answers or take a hike .

BR7
02-10-2011, 12:47 AM
Reading Sh&! like this makes me wanna choke the SH&! outta BA:cursin:, He has to go the Steelers would be crazy to resign this bum:cursin:

agreed. Plus his inspirational quote makes a good half assed sig, just like his play-calling.

SteelerDave74
02-10-2011, 01:05 AM
agreed. Plus his inspirational quote makes a good half assed sig, just like his play-calling.

:lol::hilarious::hilarious: Love the Sig, brother!

Mike Tomlin
02-10-2011, 03:07 AM
As always Bruce Arians is half right we shouldn't have to target a certain player because of injury ,whoever he's match up with should win so much to the point that the ball has to come his way obviously that didn't happen. It's just like his playcalling, half the time it good the other half it's bad it's never completely one way. At least he's consistent lol!

Three Four
02-10-2011, 06:23 AM
Ultimately, Tomlin needs to tell Arians "to attack people." That should be obvious.

coldrolled
02-10-2011, 09:05 AM
As always Bruce Arians is half right we shouldn't have to target a certain player because of injury ,whoever he's match up with should win so much to the point that the ball has to come his way obviously that didn't happen. It's just like his playcalling, half the time it good the other half it's bad it's never completely one way. At least he's consistent lol!

right.. we usually leave two qtrs on the field with very low to no scoring.

Cant say much more. we said he didnt attack the new rookie CB in the SB.. Now he says so too.

We say he doesnt attack the teams weakness if its their run side or the pass side thats weak... we are probably right... he doesnt attack that aspect of the game either. 14 run atts by mendy against GB in the SB... same BA :cursin:... different team... :banging:

SteelDad
02-10-2011, 09:06 AM
APB out for 'coldrolled.' Where you at man? This is your thread to really let loose on....

This just goes to show what many have been saying all along in that Arians cannot think on his feet and struggles to make adjustments both in game and during the half. It's inexcusable frankly.

And look at that! CR got in just ahead of me.

Scorp
02-10-2011, 09:11 AM

:lol:..:clap:. He's not fit at all to wear anything Steelers let alone headphones.

LatrobePA
02-10-2011, 02:05 PM
im not sure which is worse .. not making the adjustments or admitting you simply did not make them for the said reasons ??

all of the above..

BR7
02-10-2011, 03:03 PM
Completely worthless. I wonder if McCarthy sent him a 'thank you' card for not exploiting his weakened D.

Must be for respect... "I want to beat you with your best players, so I won't attack your weak ones." It's a win at all costs game. You can't stop the run? Too frickin bad. I'm gonna jam it down your throat until you can. You have a banged up secondary? Too frickin bad. I'm going to pick on your 3rd, 4th, 5th string CBs.

BA has a lot of nerve by admitting 'we don't pick on players.' Like he's trying to get run out of Pittsburgh, but the FO is too stupid to let him go.

steelchamp204
02-10-2011, 03:31 PM
just **** bruce arians, were never gonna be a consistant offense with him

hit 'n run
02-10-2011, 07:58 PM
:lol::hilarious::hilarious: Love the Sig, brother!

Me too.

franchise3
02-10-2011, 08:30 PM
I don't know why we are not using Miller more. How about Mendy and Redman in passing plays.

Remember Redman's TD pass against the Ravens? He showed them around like they were toddlers.

Rampage
02-10-2011, 09:24 PM
Not attacking the replacement corner is like getting into a knife fight with Achilles and going after his elbow.

Three Four
02-10-2011, 10:21 PM
Why did Arians keep running the ball at Clay Matthews? Run away from the strengths and hit their weaknesses. I don't understand the opposite philosophy.

Rampage
02-10-2011, 10:23 PM
Why did Arians keep running the ball at Clay Matthews? Run away from the strengths and hit their weaknesses. I don't understand the opposite philosophy.

From what I heard going into the game, Matthews is pretty mediocre against the run and we ran well behind Adams.

Scorp
02-10-2011, 11:53 PM
:imho:.......:+1:

Three Four
02-11-2011, 12:10 AM
I bet Arians gets into knife fights with a butter knife.

--- Added 2/10/2011 at 10:10 PM ---

From what I heard going into the game, Matthews is pretty mediocre against the run and we ran well behind Adams.

What I saw was Matthews put a lick on Mendenhall.

coldrolled
02-11-2011, 09:29 AM

Mendy with 14 atts was our undoing....

Rampage
02-11-2011, 11:47 AM
I bet Arians gets into knife fights with a butter knife.

--- Added 2/10/2011 at 10:10 PM ---

What I saw was Matthews put a lick on Mendenhall.

Mendenhall got stood up by a defensive lineman and then got nailed by Matthews which was caused by a complicated blocking scheme of pulling a center that had never started a game before.

coldrolled
02-11-2011, 12:36 PM
Mendenhall got stood up by a defensive lineman and then got nailed by Matthews which was caused by a complicated blocking scheme of pulling a center that had never started a game before.

Not sure what 85 did either on that one?

http://www.fmb360.com/1.jpg

Rampage
02-11-2011, 12:39 PM
Not sure what 85 did either on that one?

http://www.fmb360.com/1.jpg

I think Johnson was probably in the right area according to how the play was drawn up, it's just that the blocking scheme fell apart and he was left in the middle of nowhere.