PDA

View Full Version : Some interesting offensive numbers

darnik44
02-09-2011, 05:25 PM
I like many (seems to be most) Steelers fans has had it with offensive coordinator Bruce Arians. Frustrated by the Super Bowl loss and complete lack of balance in the offense, I decided to check the game logs and put together some numbers. The Steelers came into the season stating they were going to be more committed to the run and a more balanced offense.

Because of the four game suspension of quarterback Ben Roethlisberger things had to be this way. Because of their commitment to the run they started 3-1 despite a complete lack of a passing game. To me the wins were as much to do with how well they ran the ball as it was controlling the clock and giving the defense proper rest between series.

It seems however as the season wore on, the ego of Bruce Arians got in the way. The Steelers had a balanced attack, and it appeared the fanbase knew what they were talking about. I think determined to show us it was just a coincidence Arians began to be much less balanced and got back to his erratic play calling.

Anyways, you be the judge.

-The Steelers were a combined 14-5 (Regular Season and Post Season)

-In the 14 wins the Steelers attempted 386 passes and ran the ball 382 times (not including WR reverse plays which I feel is just a waste of a down). This breaks down to 27.6 pass attempts per game and 27.3 rush attempts per game.

-In the 5 losses the Steelers attempted 182 passes and ran the ball 101 times (again, not including WR reverses). This breaks down to 36.4 pass attempts per game and 20.2 rush attempts per game.

-When the Steelers attempted 30 passes or less, they were 9-2 (.818). When they attempted more than 30 passes they were 5-3 (.625).

-When the Steelers ran the ball 25 times or more, they were 9-1 (.900). When they ran the ball less than 25 times, they were 5-4 (.556).

-In games started by Ben Roethlisberger (15) the Steelers averaged 29.0 pass attempts per win and 40.3 pass attempts per loss. In games started by Ben Roethlisberger the Steelers averaged 27.2 rush attempts per win and 20.2 rush attempts per loss.

-The Steelers were 0-3 in games Roethlisberger attempted 40 or more passes (includes Super Bowl).

-In Steeler wins Rashard Mendenhall averaged 21.7 carries. In Steeler losses Mendenhall averaged 16.4 carries per game.

-The Steelers were 5-0 when Roethlisberger attempted 27 or fewer passes. Steelers were 7-4 when Roethlisberger attempted more than 27 passes.

Note: Numbers do not include 67 rush attempts by Steelers quarterbacks or 9 rush attemps by Jonathan Dwyer. There were a total of 7 rush attempts by Steelers wide receivers. Numbers also do not reflect 43 drop backs resulting in sacks or 2 pass attempts by Antwaan Randle El.

coldrolled
02-09-2011, 06:01 PM
Why Ben likes Arians is hard to tell, Arians pass plays suck.... ben makes them work with creativity after the play unfolds.

Our running game speaks for itself. A solid RB crew minus a FB. Now lets get an OC that can come up with some innovative pass plays and likes to run play action and smashmouth on the short yardage plays.

16-0 then 3-0 and we get #7.. Then Ben will be elite. Until BA is gone.. Ben is Ben.

Sorry Ben your bud has to go.

Goodfrom55
02-09-2011, 06:59 PM
2 coordinators of note are Heimmerdinger just canned from tennessee and Brad Childress, but I can't see the Steelers running a WC offense. Also available are Bratkowski from Cincy.

cmerrifield
02-09-2011, 07:14 PM
I always wonder about those kind of stats. Like, when we get up at half time, we start running the ball in the second have to close the game, meaning Ben throws less and we run more. So do these stats mean our defense held better this year, or that we need to run the ball more? I mean if Ben throws 15 times in the first half and we get up by 14 or more, we are going to run most of the second half and Ben may only end up with 25 passing attempts. That doesnt mean we need to run more to win, it just shows we can close a game.

darnik44
02-09-2011, 08:33 PM
I always wonder about those kind of stats. Like, when we get up at half time, we start running the ball in the second have to close the game, meaning Ben throws less and we run more. So do these stats mean our defense held better this year, or that we need to run the ball more? I mean if Ben throws 15 times in the first half and we get up by 14 or more, we are going to run most of the second half and Ben may only end up with 25 passing attempts. That doesnt mean we need to run more to win, it just shows we can close a game.

I only recall one game this year when they layed down in the 2nd half and just ran the ball, the Jets AFC Championship game. They were too extreme with running the ball and almost lost. With the exception of the Patriots game where they were getting hammered and passing was a necessity, their other losses they completely went away from the run and became unecessarily pass happy.

--- Added 2/9/2011 at 06:33 PM ---

Here's some situational splits on Rashard Mendenhall. Regular season only.

-First Half: 192 Carries

-Second Half: 184 Carries

-Last 2 Minutes: 17 Carries

-Behind 1-8 points: 78 carries

-Behind 9-16 points: 18 carries (this shows panic to me, which I've always felt Arians does even without seeing it in black and white).

-Ahead 1-8 points: 95 carries

-Ahead 9-16 points: 65 carries

Mendenhall's fewest number of carries by quarter came in the 4th quarter. He averaged only 5.25 carries in the 4th quarter. Redman averaged 1.3 carries in the 4th and Mewelde Moore averaged 0.5 carries in the 4th quarter. So the Steelers averaged 7 carries per game in the 4th quarter, about 25% of their average carries per win.

jpele
02-09-2011, 08:45 PM
Stats are nothing more than numbers used to stress a point. We gave up a lot of passing yds. was it because we suck against the pass or was it because teams were unable to run on us so they threw the ball all day ?

As for the Steelers offense when our running game is clicking we go to the air and when it's not we try to force it. We never take what the defense is willing to give.

SteelJunkie
02-09-2011, 10:05 PM
I have no problem passing the ball more then running. What I do have a problem with is the play calls for the passing plays.

darnik44
02-10-2011, 10:29 AM
I have no problem passing the ball more then running. What I do have a problem with is the play calls for the passing plays.

I don't have a problem with passing more than running either. But with Arians it's a lot more than just the number of runs versus the number of passing. I don't feel he does a good job from a situational standpoint. I also have a big problem with how he will totally abandon the run allowing the defense to adjust to the situation and not have to respect the run. I feel he panics when they are down and feels passing every play is necessary. I don't understand the empty backfield sets on first downs and also 3rd and short situations. Those are the downs where the defense is supposed to be left guessing weather it's a run or pass. He may as well hold up a big sign that says, "We are passing." It seems like he runs when he should pass, and passes when he should run.

Look at the Jets regular season game. The Steelers hold the Jets on a 4th and goal from the 1 yard line. He chooses to come out in a shot gun formation and calls a draw play. That call lost the game.

Look at the Super Bowl. The Packers punt and pin the steelers inside the 10. Instead of running the ball to get some breathing room he calls a pass play that turned into a pick six.

I also can't understand for the life of me why we don't see more no huddle. The Steelers have their most success on offense when in the no huddle. I can only assume his ego gets in the way because Roethlisberger calls the plays then.

I don't even understand some of the substitutions he makes or packages he calls. Why did we see so much Mewelde Moore instead of Isaac Redman in the Super Bowl? He acted like it was Senior Night at a high school football game and made sure to get Moore some touches.

How many drives this year did we see get killed because he called a WR reverse on 2nd and 6 inside the opponents territory?

How many times did we see him passing on first down with the lead? Then the Jets AFC Championship game he went completely one dimentional with the lead and ran on every play for a stretch until they caught up.

It seems like he tries to be too cute and do what he isn't suppossed to do in certain situations trying to fool the defense. The way to fool a defense is to keep them guessing by being somewhat balanced throughout the whole game.

Then there's the big issue with the design of his plays. Too many receivers in the same area. Everything is a long developing play with a bunch of crossing routes.

But at the end of the day, how can he ignor the numbers. There's a formula for the Steeles to win and one for them to lose. That formula isn't passing the ball 35 times and running it 20. That not only hurts the offense, it hurts the defense. It makes the game longer by adding a lot of plays from scrimmage because the clock doesn't continue to run and keeps the defense on the field too long and they are tired by the 4th quarter. That was the reason they gave up so many 4th quarter leads in 2009.

The Steelers win despite Bruce Arians, certainly not because of him. He has to go...

coldrolled
02-10-2011, 10:45 AM
The Steelers win despite Bruce Arians, certainly not because of him. He has to go...

Tomlin said today in the gazette, he wants to retain DL and BA.....

I hope its a smoke screen so the FO can get rid of BA, that way no players are mad at Tomlin for letting BA go.... like ben for one....

:thinking: :pray:

darnik44
02-10-2011, 01:43 PM
Tomlin said today in the gazette, he wants to retain DL and BA.....

I hope its a smoke screen so the FO can get rid of BA, that way no players are mad at Tomlin for letting BA go.... like ben for one....

:thinking: :pray:

The problem is, it's always been the Steelers approach to leave the assistant coaching staff up to the head coach. They don't do like Al Davis, Jerry Jones, and some other owners and handcuff the head coach. They allow them to do their job. If Tomlin thinks BA is a good offensive coordinator, he's clueless as well.

steelersbabex25
02-10-2011, 03:51 PM

I don't either. I don't think anyone really does, it's become a passing league. What I have a problem with is going for a 20 yard pass on 3rd and 2 when you have Redman and Mendenhall on the sidelines.

NHStlrfan
02-10-2011, 03:59 PM
Proof's in the pudding. Why does BA get NO interviews by any other teams? He's been to 2 Super Bowls and won 1. Every other team with this success has their staff hired for openings elsewhere, or at least interviewed. Its not just the fan base that sees BA is a moron! So does every other team, EVEN THE ONES THAT STINK!

BlitzburghRockCity
02-10-2011, 04:04 PM
One would wonder how the Steelers have not put 2 and 2 together. Usually when a team goes to 3 super bowls since 2005 normally their coaches are ransacked, or atleast inquired about. Arians has not gotten one inquiry from any other team since he came to Pittsburgh (as far as we know).

Unfortunately folks unless the Steelers have a totally dismal year or something catastrophic happens with the offens, BA is going to be here for the foreseeable future.

As far as the stats go, it's clear that the Steelers have the formula for success but when teams get them out of their gameplan they don't know how to adjust so they just throw it everywhere and end up losing. They rarely think outside the box on offense and never actually try to exploit a teams weakness. They just do what they do. Just imagine if that mindset was joined with the Bill Belichick mindset, where you use your strengths to actually gameplan against a teams weakness.

NHStlrfan
02-10-2011, 04:06 PM
I working with some guys from Brooklyn that want to bring Bruce out to meet Jimmy Hoffa. ;) Just gotta gitter dun!

SteelDad
02-10-2011, 06:05 PM
One would wonder how the Steelers have not put 2 and 2 together. Usually when a team goes to 3 super bowls since 2005 normally their coaches are ransacked, or atleast inquired about. Arians has not gotten one inquiry from any other team since he came to Pittsburgh (as far as we know).

Unfortunately folks unless the Steelers have a totally dismal year or something catastrophic happens with the offens, BA is going to be here for the foreseeable future.

As far as the stats go, it's clear that the Steelers have the formula for success but when teams get them out of their gameplan they don't know how to adjust so they just throw it everywhere and end up losing. They rarely think outside the box on offense and never actually try to exploit a teams weakness. They just do what they do. Just imagine if that mindset was joined with the Bill Belichick mindset, where you use your strengths to actually gameplan against a teams weakness.

This is an excellent point regarding coordinators and head coaching jobs. When is the last time you can remember a DC or OC of a Super Bowl winner NOT being mentioned for HC positions. This comment speaks volumes for what the rest of the league thinks about BA.