PDA

View Full Version : Team grants assistants head coaching interviews

BlitzburghRockCity
01-03-2007, 01:08 AM
http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/07003/750825-66.stm

Wednesday, January 03, 2007
By Ed Bouchette, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

The Steelers granted permission to two NFL teams to talk to two of their assistants for head coaching jobs and then told them both they might want to speak with them as well.

The Arizona Cardinals will talk to offensive coordinator Ken Whisenhunt and offensive line coach Russ Grimm. The Atlanta Falcons will talk to Whisenhunt. Both teams fired their head coaches on Monday.

Whisenhunt and Grimm are considered candidates to replace Steelers coach Bill Cowher if he steps down as expected by early next week.

"There's nothing we can do about it until we have [a decision from Cowher]," Steelers president Art Rooney II said.

"I have let Whis and Russ know that if Bill does decide to hang it up, we'd like to talk to them, but that's about as far as we can take it at this point."

I sure as hell hope Whiz and Russ have the sense to not commit to anything until Bill decides what he wants to do. I know this could be a chance for them to gain head coaching gigs, but damn I just hope they hold off till we hear the news from BC.

DIESELMAN
01-03-2007, 01:19 AM
you and me both bro. They know whats on the line, they'll play it cool and at least see what the offers are. Its going to be a busy couple of weeks coming up.....:helmet:

House of Steel
01-03-2007, 08:53 AM
Doesn't this make you nervous as hell??? COME ON MAN!!! I hope them two wait it out til BC's decision. I am getting so sick of this and I want this over with big time. It is making me go nuts here.

BlitzburghRockCity
01-03-2007, 10:04 AM
Well we could know as early as Friday, and Whiz won't make a decision until he has time to think about it after interviewing for both the falcon and cards job, plus those teams will be interviewing other candidates as well because our coaches, so as long as BC doesnt take too long we should be able to know where we stand before any of them without interviewing for our job.

TampaSteelGirl
01-03-2007, 10:09 AM
Why would the 2 of them want to leave the Steeler organization anyway? Those 2 teams don't have the talent we have here in Pittsburgh. Even if Bill does or doesn't decide to stay I don't believe either will leave our "family" organization!! We are family here, no other team has what we have!! :tt02:

Steelerlyn
01-03-2007, 11:33 AM
Why would the 2 of them want to leave the Steeler organization anyway? Those 2 teams don't have the talent we have here in Pittsburgh. Even if Bill does or doesn't decide to stay I don't believe either will leave our "family" organization!! We are family here, no other team has what we have!! :tt02:

1) it would be a chance for them to have their own gig and not be 2nd to anyone

2) bottom line it is about the money

In this country and any other country, for that matter, the more money you achieve, other people look upon you as a success & the more of a success story you have. :)

BlitzburghRockCity
01-03-2007, 11:35 AM
There's no need to panic just yet, NFL teams will interview MANY candidates before making a decision so it's not like Grimm or Whiz will be gone tomorrow. We still need to act quickly though and secure our interviews that we want as soon as possible.

AZ_Steeler
01-03-2007, 11:36 AM
I agree with you all... I really hope they wait and see what BC plans to do first. It's good though to hear that the FO wants to speak with them as well... they've already done so much this year that has us all :scratch:, so why not hire someone from within!

BlitzburghRockCity
01-03-2007, 11:48 AM
Times like this make you feel so fortunate to have good owners like the Rooneys, who know what they're doing.

AZ_Steeler
01-03-2007, 11:51 AM
Times like this make you feel so fortunate to have good owners like the Rooneys, who know what they're doing.

This is actually the thing that is scaring me because they have done some things out of the ordinary lately :dunno:

BlitzburghRockCity
01-03-2007, 02:21 PM
Yes they have made some odd roster moves this year, I'll grant you that, especially in the training camp with the running back fiasco, but a decision as big as this we just have to defer to their wisdom and hope for the best.

Black@Gold Forever32
01-03-2007, 02:30 PM
I guess I'm one of the few that really thinks its no big deal if Cowher, Whiz and Grimm all go. Both coaches and players come and they go but the Pittsburgh Steelers remain.

Plus look Cowher was outside the organization/unknown as a HC in 1992 and the Steelers won the AFC Central and were 11-5 in his first year. Both the Saints and Jets both made the play-offs this year with first time head coaches. Plus both were not with the Saints and Jets the year before.

My point the Steelers can have success with a new head coach and that coach doesn't have to come within the organization. The Rooneys just have to make the right hire. The last two coaches the Rooneys were great moves. Plus Dan Rooney has a say in both of them and still kicking. So I'm sure they will make the right move.

BlitzburghRockCity
01-03-2007, 02:36 PM
I think times are different now than they were when Noll retired and Cowher took over. That was the end of the super bowl era, the end of all the storied players, titles and the end of the way Steelers were in the 70's and 80's. The mentality is alot different now in the league and with players than it was back then and even when it was just 10 years ago. Maybe a fresh new face from outside is the answer, but I hate the thought of a whole new staff and the possibility of the team struggling to find itself again while learning a new system.

Black@Gold Forever32
01-03-2007, 02:47 PM
Well if an coach from outside the organization is hired I hope he is smart enough to know the Steelers are a 3-4 team and it will take years for them to get the players to run a 4-3/Cover 2 which alot of teams run in the NFL these days.

As for the offense sorry but I'm really hoping an offensive coach from outside the organization is hired. The Steelers offense has the potential to be explosive and I don't think Whiz or Grimm will ever get the most out of all the talent on the offensive side of the ball.

Plus back to the Saints and the Jets having success this year and making the play-offs with first time/outside the organization head coaches. So having a new face from outside the organization is not the end of the world. There is more to football then the Steeler way. Its been a successful but a change might do alot of good. I'm not talking about the defense. The talent the Steelers have on defense is built for the 3-4 so changing that would be stupid.

TampaSteelGirl
01-03-2007, 03:32 PM
1) it would be a chance for them to have their own gig and not be 2nd to anyone

2) bottom line it is about the money

In this country and any other country, for that matter, the more money you achieve, other people look upon you as a success & the more of a success story you have. :)

I dont totally agree with statement. Sometimes loyality lies within the Steeler organization..Hines decided to do whatever it takes for him to be a Steeler even if he didn't get the money he wanted..I'm sure everyone would have wanted to pick him up and offer him big money, yes Randel El took it but his heart isn't in Pittsburgh...I would be VERY suprised if they bit on other offers if offered..Well i'd be disappointed.