PDA

View Full Version : Reasonable CB Free Agents

MDSteel15
02-09-2011, 01:09 PM
Johnathan Joseph (CIN) – The Bengals’ corners awakened in 2009 to help lead a good pass defense, but 2010 turned out to be a different story. Both Joseph and Hall regressed and the results in the Bengals secondary showed. Joseph is physical and aggressive and good in any scheme. If the Bengals do hit him with the franchise tag, Joseph has said he’ll sign it on the first day, though he’s holding out hope that the two sides can reach a deal before that point.

Champ Bailey (DEN) – With the Broncos in a period of transition, this may very well be Champ Bailey’s final season in Denver. While injuries have lessened his effectiveness the last couple years, he returned to form this season to stay among the league’s 5 best corners. There have been no talks of a contract extension so far, but Champ remains committed to returning to the Broncos if the interest is mutual.

Richard Marshall (CAR) – Marshall has been okay in coverage over the years, but good in run support. He won’t be at the top of the Panthers priority list, but if they do offer him a fair long-term deal, Marshall is ready to sign immediately.

Brent Grimes (ATL) – Grimes had a fantastic season for an improved Falcons defense. Going into the final week, he’s one back of the leader in deflected passes. As an undrafted player, he’s worked his way and improved each season to become one of the league’s better corners now. With the secondary struggles in Atlanta over the past few years, they’ll show their appreciation for Grimes in the offseason.

Other Notable CBs:
Josh Wilson (BAL)
Al Harris (MIA)

K Train
02-09-2011, 01:57 PM
would love bailey at either CB or FS and JJ would be so sick and just a smack to the face of the bengals. hes not as good as leon hall but hes still one of their best defenders.

not a fan of marshall, but i played basketball with grimes at shippensburg once....5-8 and he can dunk, just an unreal athlete

MDSteel15
02-09-2011, 02:21 PM
would love bailey at either CB or FS and JJ would be so sick and just a smack to the face of the bengals. hes not as good as leon hall but hes still one of their best defenders.

not a fan of marshall, but i played basketball with grimes at shippensburg once....5-8 and he can dunk, just an unreal athlete

Dude, I love Grimes! Plays every play like he has something to prove. :bunny:

darnik44
02-09-2011, 02:58 PM
Bailey would be a step in the wrong direction because of his age. Any additions to the defense need to do two things, get better and get younger.

K Train
02-09-2011, 03:20 PM
cant really say adding a veteran hungry for a ring would be a step in the wrong direction, especially if it was replacing ryan clark. its the pats strategy, just to sprinkle in these old guys to play a role for a year or two. we have roster spots available that bailey could certainly have

cmerrifield
02-09-2011, 03:33 PM
Bailey would be a step in the wrong direction because of his age. Any additions to the defense need to do two things, get better and get younger.

I agree however, with LeBeau DB's dont play their rookie season, so lets draft this year, sign Bailey and let him teach the young guys a thing or too. I would love a older CB or FS, a CB could let Butler develop and a FS could let a draft pick develop

MDSteel15
02-09-2011, 04:19 PM
Hello! Bailey is still one of the top 5 CBs in the league! :banging: He has more skill in his pinky toe than all our CBs (besides Ike)!!! For a 2 year stint and draft a top CB in the 1st 2 rounds would be just about perfect!!! :rant2:

--- Added 2/9/2011 at 03:19 PM ---

Come on! He's 2 years younger(33) that Charles Woodson, 35! And I love Woodson, but the so called experts are calling him at his age, the Polomalu of CBs....:eek1:

K Train
02-09-2011, 04:26 PM
woodson and bailey have a lot of football left in them....especially at FS. hell woodson is basically the packers 2nd OLB and best cover guy. id imagine hed make a move to safety in the next year

bailey could easily play CB at a high level in lebeaus defense, and even if he wanted to be a FS im ok with that.

im just hoping tomlin realizes CB is a need and makes a move for one of these high profile guys and drafts one in the first 2 rounds

MDSteel15
02-09-2011, 04:41 PM
woodson and bailey have a lot of football left in them....especially at FS. hell woodson is basically the packers 2nd OLB and best cover guy. id imagine hed make a move to safety in the next year

bailey could easily play CB at a high level in lebeaus defense, and even if he wanted to be a FS im ok with that.

im just hoping tomlin realizes CB is a need and makes a move for one of these high profile guys and drafts one in the first 2 rounds

:plus1: :clap:

darnik44
02-09-2011, 05:47 PM
cant really say adding a veteran hungry for a ring would be a step in the wrong direction, especially if it was replacing ryan clark. its the pats strategy, just to sprinkle in these old guys to play a role for a year or two. we have roster spots available that bailey could certainly have

Why replace Ryan Clark? Do you realize that the Steelers defense is a complicated system to learn, and playing opposite Troy Polamalu is something that takes time to grasp. Add to that Bailey would have some adjusting to do in any defense moving to safety. He might have things down by the time he's ready to retire...not a good move.

--- Added 2/9/2011 at 04:47 PM ---

Crezdon Butler will probably be one of the starting CB's next year. Most will scoff at this, but by week 8 next year some of you will be rocking Crezdon Butler jersey's.

cmerrifield
02-09-2011, 06:18 PM
Crezdon Butler will probably be one of the starting CB's next year. Most will scoff at this, but by week 8 next year some of you will be rocking Crezdon Butler jersey's.

I dont scoff at that, I am hoping you are right. He showed some brilliance in preseason. I just would really like a backup plan that doesnt include McFadden.

K Train
02-09-2011, 09:22 PM
i wouldnt have scoffed at him starting this year.

they still need to think ahead and draft a corner kinda high

SteelerDave74
02-09-2011, 09:26 PM
Johnathan Joseph and Champ Bailey would be a nice signing, but I don't see it happening. We sure need a major upgrade in the secondary. This is going to be a rough offseason.

SteelDad
02-10-2011, 01:47 PM
Remember this about Hall and Joseph... They are good DB's but only as good as the pass rush was in Cincy. Bungles couldn't rush the passer this year for crap so they got exposed. Joseph would be a decent signing...

Bailey.... I think if you 'rent' him for a year he could be a nice fit, but because of his age I don't see it much longer than that.

cmerrifield
02-10-2011, 09:22 PM
What about Chris Gamble from Carolina, the carolinagrowl.com is reporting he might be released. I dont know anything about this guy, so I am curious about him.

Steelerfreak56
02-10-2011, 11:03 PM
I'm really hoping that we can somehow land Asomugha from oakland. He's an all pro and a guy we desperately need

harpo
02-11-2011, 03:38 PM
The word here in Atlanta is that the Falcons will re-sign Grimes. They would be crazy not to.

I think the Steelers should pursue JJ, but i'm anxious to see what Butler can do.

tburg68
02-11-2011, 07:53 PM
OL and CB should be the top priorities this off season. NA would seem like a pipe dream. I would be very happy with Bailey or Joseph.

Butler can't play worse than McFaddin did in the playoffs. It's pretty bad when I'm screaming for Gay to take the second receiver!

JollyRob68
02-12-2011, 01:32 PM
Why replace Ryan Clark? Do you realize that the Steelers defense is a complicated system to learn, and playing opposite Troy Polamalu is something that takes time to grasp. Add to that Bailey would have some adjusting to do in any defense moving to safety. He might have things down by the time he's ready to retire...not a good move.

--- Added 2/9/2011 at 04:47 PM ---

I was surprised that Butler wasn't activated for the Super Bowl. The knew GB was going to spread them out. I hope we pick up a CB,Phil Taylor, Pouncey,Watkins in the first. Unless a Higher ranked OT DE fall.

If we Improve our pass rush it would limit the DB's getting exposed this is why I'd like Phil Taylor of Baylor. Phil Taylor will push Big Snack to get in better shape and work harder.I'd bring in Champ as a FS, knowing that teams are going to spread us out.

I THINK ITS TIME FOR KEITH BUTLER TO TAKE OVER AS DEFENSIVE COORDINATOR & FOR TOMLIN TO BRING IN SOMEONE HE WANTS AS A DB COACH OR ASSISTANT. I'D LIKE TO GET DONNIE HENDERSON ON THE COACHING STAFF.

Rampage
02-12-2011, 01:38 PM
I'm aware of Champ Bailey's past success, but would he really be that huge of a signing for this team? With his age and the learning curve associated with learning a new defense, do you think his ability would provide a large margin of improvement over what this team already has? I mean, if this was four years ago I would love the idea; however, with Bailey aging, I look at him like a potential stud, but more than likely just a bandage.

JollyRob68
02-15-2011, 02:41 PM
Why replace Clark? Because he's slow! I like clark and he can come in in the dime package or even the nickel. With Troys injuries every year we need to address this in the draft and free agency.

Who's going to coach the DB's?

steelchamp204
02-16-2011, 01:16 PM
it would be sick to see butler at FS and bring is NA to play cb, I think butler could be a damn good ballhawk at the Fs spot

SteelerCountry58
02-16-2011, 11:57 PM
I'd bring in Bailey for a couple years but draft heavy for secondary help
to transition them for when Bailey leaves. With Bailey and Troy,thats two
great teachers to learn from on the job. The window for this current team
is closing,go for it and try to bring home 7 before the wheels fall off.

Callax
02-17-2011, 11:28 AM
I think adding Bailey for 2-4 years would be a great choice.
JJ would be fantastic to stick it to Cinn, we get a better CB than Gay or B-Mac and then add another CB in the draft.
Not big on adding Marshall, we need better cover corners, we have "ok" cover corners, other than Ike.
Grimes is small, but if he can cover or break up passes, get picks, then sign him.
Al harris is too old at 35 unless he's going to safety for 2-3 years. If he signs cheap and if Dick is slotting him for nickel or dime back then add some depth.

K Train
02-17-2011, 01:23 PM
i think cromartie is set to be a FA...id love him as a steeler

JollyRob68
02-19-2011, 01:39 PM
i think cromartie is set to be a FA...id love him as a steeler

He's a very good corner but he's an Illiterate idiot. Its the same reason Keenan Lewis cant get on the field. Cromartie wants to play man because he doesnt function well in a schemed defense. Did you notice when he played us he had to keep holding E Sanders tugging at his hand warmers as he got beat? He didn't help himself by running off at the mouth and the foul language he used. He's not a Steeler type player, Dam sure not a Mike Tomlin type player.

HOWEVER, THEY CAN GET HIM CHEAP! PAY SOME OF HIS CHILD SUPPORT.LOL
HE'LL BE A RAIDER

--- Added 2/19/2011 at 12:39 PM ---

The next chat with Ed Buchette or Gary Dulac I'll ask the question about The Steelers and Cromartie.

Sorry I forgot to ask him about Cromartie. I'll have to remember or ask Dulac.

Deviouz1
02-19-2011, 02:28 PM
uuugh, i dont care if he is a really good CB, cromartie is ... well, i cant say what i think he is but suffice it to say i would be disappointed if we picked him up. id rather bank on Crezdon and hope for the best. hell, id rather we got pretty much ANYone other than cromartie. even the least known but fastest DB in round 7. a Spray-n-Pray is better than adding someone who doesnt respect the organization or its players. thats just asking for trouble.

andyg1984
02-19-2011, 05:34 PM
i will say the same thing I said on another post .. cromartie would fit in our system like he did when he was in SD during the real Merriman era .. he needs a rush ..

--- Added 2/19/2011 at 04:34 PM ---

hey,we forgot eric wright is a FA lmao

JollyRob68
02-23-2011, 02:47 PM
uuugh, i dont care if he is a really good CB, cromartie is ... well, i cant say what i think he is but suffice it to say i would be disappointed if we picked him up. id rather bank on Crezdon and hope for the best. hell, id rather we got pretty much ANYone other than cromartie. even the least known but fastest DB in round 7. a Spray-n-Pray is better than adding someone who doesnt respect the organization or its players. thats just asking for trouble.

Church! I so agree.

--- Added 2/23/2011 at 01:43 PM ---

i will say the same thing I said on another post .. cromartie would fit in our system like he did when he was in SD during the real Merriman era .. he needs a rush ..

--- Added 2/19/2011 at 04:34 PM ---

hey,we forgot eric wright is a FA lmao

I'd be happy with Eric Wright

--- Added 2/23/2011 at 01:47 PM ---

I asked Ed Bouchette if its time to move Ike to Safety and He said We already have a solid guy & DPLOY in try and no corners so why would I ask the question?
I ask because Ike is 31 as is Clark but Ikes a lot faster and can provide better coverage, Clark can play in the sub packages like Deshea use too. We can Get Butler on the field and sign/draft another corner and a young safety.

andyg1984
02-23-2011, 04:10 PM
i'd be happy if eric wright stayed right where he is lol

SteelerDave74
02-24-2011, 08:21 AM
Really would like to see us try and get Johnathan Joseph out of Cincinnati, but I don't see it happening. I really want to see us pay special attention to the Secondary in this draft. We don't, I see us having ill issues real fast.

Rampage
02-24-2011, 11:04 AM
Really would like to see us try and get Johnathan Joseph out of Cincinnati, but I don't see it happening. I really want to see us pay special attention to the Secondary in this draft. We don't, I see us having ill issues real fast.

Exactly. The secondary is the weakest link. It may be strong enough to get through the season, but there are some top flight QBs in the AFC. These guys (Rivers, Brady, and Manning) can dissect this secondary, and it would be nice to actually address that instead of ignoring the problem and wishing it away.

86WARD
03-07-2011, 10:34 PM
Exactly. The secondary is the weakest link. It may be strong enough to get through the season, but there are some top flight QBs in the NFL. These guys (*Brees, Rodgers, Brady, and Manning) can dissect this secondary, and it would be nice to actually address that instead of ignoring the problem and wishing it away.

*fixed. Rivers isn't dissecting anything...lol. If you want to go just AFC, go with Brady and Manning and end it...

DanRooney
03-09-2011, 11:22 AM
*fixed. Rivers isn't dissecting anything...lol. If you want to go just AFC, go with Brady and Manning and end it...

I've never seen Manning, the most overrated QB in the history of the league, dissect our defense. He usually plays pretty average against us.

Callax
03-09-2011, 03:51 PM
Grimes of ATL got a 1st round tender offer, so signing him won't happen

Bailey got resigned by denver

I like signing Joseph
Al Harris for a 3rd DB and BMac or Gay fight for depth

MDSteel15
03-09-2011, 06:29 PM
You do realize I started this a month ago?