PDA

View Full Version : The BMac/Foote/El experiment

UKSTEELER
02-09-2011, 10:29 AM
Good, hmmm, bad or downright ugly?

Foote hardly saw the field . . .

BMac Solid, but unspectacular and ultimately found wanting . . .

El, lost 3rd receiver spot to a rookie, nothing on punt returns . . .

:eek1:

stratocaster68
02-09-2011, 11:41 AM
Gay can be let go if they find someone better. I think Foote played the exact role he was brought in for. Keep him for the right $$. El, I'm not so sure any more. Showed up big in the SB. Good hands catching passes but I don't think he needs to filed punts any more. Let him compete with Sweed for the #5 spot and see what happens.

coldrolled
02-09-2011, 12:02 PM
Gay can be let go if they find someone better. I think Foote played the exact role he was brought in for. Keep him for the right $$. El, I'm not so sure any more. Showed up big in the SB. Good hands catching passes but I don't think he needs to filed punts any more. Let him compete with Sweed for the #5 spot and see what happens.

The battle would be Keenan, Gay and Butler to keep a job if we sign a FA CB....

If we draft a CB we will wait another three years and by then our entire defense will retire and be almost new and unkown anyway... so get the FA now while the window is open..

LatrobePA
02-09-2011, 12:11 PM
Foote was a solid ST's / back up player. B-mac is a lost cause, EL made some plays and won the leagues MVP for fair catches so I'd say he stays...

cmerrifield
02-09-2011, 12:50 PM
Foote came back to be a back-up and that worked well. El was helpful in getting the rookies to develop faster and that seemed to work well. McFadden is the only one who didnt perform at the level we needed him to.

BlitzburghRockCity
02-09-2011, 01:23 PM
Foote was a good resource to have. He played on ST, and had something happened to Timmons or Farrior he would have been a solid replacement. If he can come back next year it would be a good idea.

ARE did lose his 3rd WR spot, but we all knew he would as the year went on. He made some big catches for us in the playoffs though. He's more than likely not coming back in 2011 since we have 4 good WR's now and also Sweed will still be an option.

McFadden still has a year left on his deal, but his performance was spotty this year and he had a rash of nagging injuries.

SteelDad
02-09-2011, 02:52 PM
ARE = As a PR he drives me nuts, but I value his services as a WR and a potential play-maker at times.

Foote = A solid back-up and ST'er, but I can see him not coming back.

B-MAC = I applaud the effort and hard work, but the game is no longer there for him and he needs to go.

Overall, these 3 guys were not terrible, but I think we can find suitable replacements in FA and the draft at similar costs should we go in that direction.

BlitzburghRockCity
02-09-2011, 03:03 PM
They definitely served their purpose for 2010. If BMac had not been brought back, we'd have had to put Gay back at a starting spot and things could have gotten ugly. His spot is more suited for NB where he excelled.

SteelDad
02-09-2011, 03:15 PM
They definitely served their purpose for 2010. If BMac had not been brought back, we'd have had to put Gay back at a starting spot and things could have gotten ugly. His spot is more suited for NB where he excelled.

Excellent point. We could have been in some even worse trouble had Gay been the starter at CB.

SteelCityKid5
02-09-2011, 04:14 PM
Gays a good nickel.. Bmac is a head scratcher and while I like him a human being Clark can see the door but its not gonna happen.

bensshoes
02-09-2011, 04:34 PM
Foote did exactly as he was asked to do.
Mcfadden needs to be replaced before removed his back and forth play did the team a hardship.
Gay, i've seen enough!

Rampage
02-09-2011, 07:04 PM
I put bad only because I think this team could have tried out some of the youth on this team instead of resorting to former players. While I do not consider their play to be horrible, I just look at it as a bad move for the future development of younger players.

Scorp
02-10-2011, 09:50 AM
By Teresa Varley – Steelers.com
Posted 15 hours ago

This wasn’t the way Antwaan Randle El envisioned the season would end. He wanted to be one of the players hoisting the Lombardi Trophy on Sunday night. He wanted the confetti falling on his head, not the Packers.

He had experienced all of that once before when the Steelers won Super Bowl XL, and he was hoping for it again.

“Having won it before, you know what to expect afterwards,” said Randle El. “You expect the confetti to be coming down for you. From that standpoint it’s tougher to lose, having won and knowing what it feels like to win. The losing end is no fun at all.”

You could see the pain in his eyes, the almost constant smile not visible, as he stood outside the training room waiting for a team meeting to begin.

“It is starting to really sink in.” said Randle El. ‘You didn’t get the goal you set out for back in March and April. It’s setting in. I am not turning the television on, not watching SportsCenter.

“It’s tough to watch because you are on the losing end of it. I had never been on the losing end of a Super Bowl. It hurts. But we had a great opportunity and thank God for getting where we did with the team we had, coming together throughout the year. It says a lot about the character we have. But we came up short, that’s the bottom line.”

And what hurts Randle El the most, is they had a chance for a come-from-behind win late, but couldn’t get it done.

“Frustration comes when we had an opportunity to seal the deal,” said Randle El. ‘To get the ball with 1:57 left, that is what you live for and we didn’t pull it off.”

As is the case every time you lose, there is always a play you want back. From Super Bowl XLV, there are three Randle El would like back.

“It would be all three turnovers,” said Randle El. “You have to give Green Bay credit for the plays they made.

“It leaves a bad taste in your mouth for quite some time. But you have to pull yourself back together and get going with life. We had opportunities. You can’t say we didn’t have a chance. But we just didn’t get it done.”

Randle El’s hope is that this wasn’t his last shot with the Steelers at a Super Bowl. With the emergence of a young receiving corps that includes Mike Wallace, Emmanuel Sanders and Antonio Brown, Randle El doesn’t know what his future holds.

“I would love to be back here,” said Randle El. “There isn’t even a question of where I want to be. But we have some young guys playing extremely well. That’s just that. I know what my abilities are but it comes down to numbers. If it works out, it works out. If I have my choice I would stay here.”

BlitzburghRockCity
02-10-2011, 10:29 AM
I put bad only because I think this team could have tried out some of the youth on this team instead of resorting to former players. While I do not consider their play to be horrible, I just look at it as a bad move for the future development of younger players.

Overall though it worked out don't ya think. Sanders and Brown's progress wasn't hindered at all by ARE's presence and they made great strides in 2010. I'd have much rather had BMac at CB than Gay. As far as Foote goes, he only had 22 tackles this year I think it was and mainly played on ST. These 3 were brought back for insurance purposes mainly. Not all 3 will be back in 2011, I think that's a pretty fair assumption. :yellowthumb:

DIESELMAN
02-10-2011, 11:07 AM
Gotta feel for these guys, to make it that far only to come up short. It's going to a long offseason for them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rampage
02-10-2011, 02:11 PM
Overall though it worked out don't ya think. Sanders and Brown's progress wasn't hindered at all by ARE's presence and they made great strides in 2010. I'd have much rather had BMac at CB than Gay. As far as Foote goes, he only had 22 tackles this year I think it was and mainly played on ST. These 3 were brought back for insurance purposes mainly. Not all 3 will be back in 2011, I think that's a pretty fair assumption. :yellowthumb:

That's something I have to admit, but I just felt that going into the season it showed that there was very little confidence in the younger players. That changed, though, which is good.

steelchamp204
02-10-2011, 03:32 PM
McFadden=fail

NHStlrfan
02-10-2011, 03:42 PM
BMac had too many injuries. Wasn't the same after his stint in Arizona. Time will tell with him. C overall. Not a pass not a fail, as Myron would say, "feh".

Clevelandsux
02-10-2011, 06:05 PM
I like Clark. Mcfadden sucked balls this year. I think he's the weakest link in the secondary. He was good before, but something happened last year in Arizona. El was good in the sb. Ok on gadget plays, but I see no reason to keep him. Foote? Hmmm hadn't heard his name all year.

UKSTEELER
02-11-2011, 08:42 AM

Agree.

Confidence plays a big part . . .

Rookies and second year players are still learning, they make mistakes, it's about having confidence in their abilities, if unsure, you try and build up their confidence . . .

It started with Sweed, he was stupid, especially the fake injury after the drop, so he got pulled straight away, he then is eventually given another chance, drops the pass against Cincy and that was it, . . . dog house! How about letting him try and redeem himself on the next play. They were aware that Sweed had a confidence issue even before he was drafted, so why treat the situation that way?

Tomlin has since said that he doesn't like Rookies and . . .

On the video that shows him congratulating the players as they go back in the locker room after the AFC North clinching victory, he is being filmed and picks out Lewis, who looks like he'd lined up wrong on a kick-off or something, he has also been pulled after making an error on the field. Every other player had a congratulations and a smile, I'm sure plenty of others had made errors during the game too!

Why pick out someone in that way? To me it should be quiet words in person, not picking on someone to make them look small in front of there fellow pro's, was there really any need?

I don't like this about Mike, it rubs me the wrong way! :nono:

How are these players ever going to go on the field with confidence?

Phenomenal TJ
02-12-2011, 03:50 PM
McFadden was horrid, and I was so excited to have him back as well. Foote was a good special teamer, and really is a great lockerroom presence for this team, especially after the past off-season. El, was our veteran depth at receiver and made plays when called upon.

Mike Tomlin
02-12-2011, 06:12 PM
Agree.

Confidence plays a big part . . .

Rookies and second year players are still learning, they make mistakes, it's about having confidence in their abilities, if unsure, you try and build up their confidence . . .

It started with Sweed, he was stupid, especially the fake injury after the drop, so he got pulled straight away, he then is eventually given another chance, drops the pass against Cincy and that was it, . . . dog house! How about letting him try and redeem himself on the next play. They were aware that Sweed had a confidence issue even before he was drafted, so why treat the situation that way?

Tomlin has since said that he doesn't like Rookies and . . .

On the video that shows him congratulating the players as they go back in the locker room after the AFC North clinching victory, he is being filmed and picks out Lewis, who looks like he'd lined up wrong on a kick-off or something, he has also been pulled after making an error on the field. Every other player had a congratulations and a smile, I'm sure plenty of others had made errors during the game too!

Why pick out someone in that way? To me it should be quiet words in person, not picking on someone to make them look small in front of there fellow pro's, was there really any need?

I don't like this about Mike, it rubs me the wrong way! :nono:

How are these players ever going to go on the field with confidence?
Well you got to remember Lewis has done quite a few bone head things in his time here. It seems as if Tomlin feels he has to stay on him and he should.Remember after the terrible game he had replacing B-mac, afterwards he shattered the glass outside the locker room. That's something a child does, he's still immature right now and he has to stay on top of him to make sure he doesn't get in his own way. That also builds confidence in him so when that anger starts setting in he'll be able to contol it and not let it affect his play.I really think that's his only problem his temper............................
and he's pretty stiff in coverage lol!

Scorp
02-12-2011, 07:26 PM
:imho:.............:+1: