PDA

View Full Version : Tired of putting all the blame on William Gay

MDSteel15
02-08-2011, 07:47 PM
Tired of all thse William Gay threads! How many times did you see Madisons fat azz in the spread running from behind? It was more the Gay's fault! As a whole our DBs failed Sunday.

K Train
02-08-2011, 07:49 PM
gay is a good player...not a starter full time but solid depth, a good NB, and a hell of a pass rusher from the NB spot.

i wish mcfadden was the player he looked like he was gonna be back in 05. his potential was unreal and showed flashed of absolute brilliance....but hes been reduced to just a good tackling #2/3 cb

EDIT: it would also be nice if the front office had the competence to draft DBs all together....gay is actually a superstar compared to burnett, lewis, coclough and hank poteat. it was ignored for too long just like the oline and it came back to hurt them

parker39
02-08-2011, 08:01 PM
Tired of all thse William Gay threads! How many times did you see Madisons fat azz in the spread running from behind? It was more the Gay's fault! As a whole our DBs failed Sunday.

I hope they trade them all<<< the secondary eats....

MDSteel15
02-08-2011, 08:02 PM
:banging: Totally agree Train! :evilshake:

parker39
02-08-2011, 08:03 PM
gay is a good player...not a starter full time but solid depth, a good NB, and a hell of a pass rusher from the NB spot.

i wish mcfadden was the player he looked like he was gonna be back in 05. his potential was unreal and showed flashed of absolute brilliance....but hes been reduced to just a good tackling #2/3 cb

EDIT: it would also be nice if the front office had the competence to draft DBs all together....gay is actually a superstar compared to burnett, lewis, coclough and hank poteat. it was ignored for too long just like the oline and it came back to hurt them

Gay is toast>>> Our secondary is our safeties for the most part..
Ike needs to go he cant catch... Gay is not asked to blitz, hes asked to cover recievers he cant nor a tight end if he tried

Goodfrom55
02-08-2011, 08:05 PM
Can't forget Ryan Clark. Yes he knows the defense, but he might be the slowest free safety in football.

Unless they nail Nnamdi Ashmough (however its spelled), I fully expect the Steelers to draft a CB or FS with the 31st pick.

parker39
02-08-2011, 08:07 PM
:banging: Totally agree Train! :evilshake:

Gay is worthless hes had 2-3 seasons to prove himself hes a backup...

--- Added 2/8/2011 at 06:07 PM ---

Can't forget Ryan Clark. Yes he knows the defense, but he might be the slowest free safety in football.

Unless they nail Nnamdi Ashmough (however its spelled), I fully expect the Steelers to draft a CB or FS with the 31st pick.

when you compare clark to mcfadden or ike taylor or gay Ill take Clark he hits hard can cause turnovers he productive than the rest... The jets game for example....

K Train
02-08-2011, 08:20 PM
clark is a bum, he has zero closing speed. they need to look at quinton carter or ahmad black for his spot imo. carter would be perfect, play centerfield and dominate in our D....black might be more of a NB

gay is not worthless, hes just able to be miss matched with TEs and TO and bigger guys, hes a good NB. he plays with a ton of emotion and has done some good things for us.

no one seems to mention troy in the seconary blunders even though hes out of position more than any "elite" player out there and absolutely refuses to wrap up a tackle BUT OMG HES GOT LONG HAIR AND MAKES SOME PICKZZZZ

Goodfrom55
02-08-2011, 08:40 PM
Don't get me wrong, I like Ryan CLark, but I think his best cover days are long gone. He is a liability in the secondary. I think he would be a good strong safety who supports the run, but as a cover safety, not so much. Ike earned a contract, and Gay is a good blitzer off the edge, but otherwise, he and McFadden are expendable.

Rampage
02-08-2011, 09:08 PM

What do you have against Coclough? He's the only player I've ever seen try to catch punts with his helmet.

steelersbabex25
02-08-2011, 09:14 PM
Gay is so fast and he knows how to close in on a quarterback. If they would stop dropping him back in coverage all the time and start only using him for blitzing schemes I can guarantee we'd all be singing a different tune.

andyg1984
02-08-2011, 09:27 PM
Ike needs to go he cant catch... Gay is not asked to blitz, hes asked to cover recievers he cant nor a tight end if he tried

getting rid of taylor makes no sense .. he is the best DB we have by far ... maybe he is not a superstar, but it is hard to find guys as big and fast as he is lying around in FA that can hit the ground running at the right price ..

gay, on the other hand, is average... someone who could easily be replaced imo, BUT i really see anything as most likely a lateral move, so i would just prefer to not eat the transition costs and just live with an average NB..

I think the guy who needs to go is D-Mac .. but that is tough because Gay can't play the #2 by a long-shot so you have to go out in FA or draft-up ..

if people keep knocking brandon harris that could really benefit us .. he had a real solid body of work before that ND game .. ive known about him since HS, so I am not completely ready to hop on the smith bandwagon just yet

K Train
02-08-2011, 09:30 PM
jimmy smith is the truth. harris and williams have good program pedigrees and a solid collegiate career, but im telling you smith is the way to go for what we need

steelersbabex25
02-08-2011, 09:32 PM

Ike is not a wide receiver. He is not paid to catch balls.

andyg1984
02-08-2011, 09:37 PM
i have not watched enough of smith yet except for the CAL highlights, but too many people have him their top 20 and even 15 for me to think we have a good shot ..

aside from vs ND, i just love how harris plays the game .. he is aggressive, plays the run well and is really confident (swag lol) ..

Farrior Fan
02-08-2011, 10:47 PM
Ike is easily a top 10 CB in the NFL. He can stick on any WR. He doesnt intercept any passes because he has stone hands, but I don't care. Just shut down the opponents top WR and you are fine with me. As for Gay, well I know he had a tough childhood and all but he is having a really tough time in the NFL also. If Troy doesn't get back to his old self it could be a really long 2011 season, if there is such a thing.

DanRooney
02-08-2011, 10:56 PM
I find the Troy being out of position thing hilarious. Especially when you bring up Jennings first TD. Little do you guys realize Taunto Farrior was assigned to him. Yes, it was Dick's genius plan to put Farrior on Greg Jennings (hold your laughter) with Ryan Clark over the top.

Troy had to cover for not 1, but 2 Steelers on that play.

LatrobePA
02-08-2011, 10:59 PM
Troy was a turd in this game, a complete non factor. The packs played him like a chump, let's all bash the hell out of the players that will never rob other more deserving players of the DPOY!!

Face it gang, Troy had a chance to be great (2 picks right by him) "holywood" couldn't of made him look like a star in the SB!!

PS: I prefer to be flamed med rare..:banana:

K Train
02-08-2011, 11:06 PM
I find the Troy being out of position thing hilarious. Especially when you bring up Jennings first TD. Little do you guys realize Taunto Farrior was assigned to him. Yes, it was Dick's genius plan to put Farrior on Greg Jennings (hold your laughter) with Ryan Clark over the top.

Troy had to cover for not 1, but 2 Steelers on that play.

troy is always being caught out of position, quit lying to yourself just because he makes the pro bowl and has long flowing samoan locks. he whiffs on easily half his tackles because he cant wrap anyone up its either flying samoan torpedo or nothing.

ryan clark is pure ****, and at this point in his career does not compliment troy at all. sure troy has a knack for big plays (sometimes) but he gives up his fair share and really played the worst 3 games of his career in the playoffs this year

pimplydan
02-09-2011, 12:05 AM
Gay is a good blitzer that's it , so in other words useless because if he had to blitz all the time it eliminates the element of surprise . So that won't work . Mcfadden isn't any better in coverage than Gay .
Ike shut down the number 1 receivers all year , so please don't tell me he is no good , he is a keeper .
Clark may be slow but he has smashed so many opposing player in the past years . C'mon man he makes me jump of my couch evertime screaming . He has been a great addition to us .
Polamalu , please guys he was the major reason for 3 victories down the stretch ,how soon can you forget that ? Polamalu was defensive player of the year . Now you criticize him for Rodgers perfection , C'mon man .
Next time he plays Rodgers he won't be fooled , he's not a fortune teller ,Rodger outplayed Polamalu with his eyes . Just give kundo's to Rodgers ,I never knew he was that good . Watch out he looked better than Brady in his first superbowl .

Phenomenal TJ
02-09-2011, 12:06 AM
Gay may be the best blitzing corner in the NFL.

andyg1984
02-09-2011, 12:13 AM
so what is your take on him (troy) getting another contract?

--- Added 2/8/2011 at 10:13 PM ---

Gay may be the best blitzing corner in the NFL.

u cant be serious? look across the field in the sb .. sams shields ..he looked ridiculous off the edge in the postseason .. idc about lack of regular season stats .. damn is he going to be good

DanRooney
02-09-2011, 04:12 AM
troy is always being caught out of position, quit lying to yourself just because he makes the pro bowl and has long flowing samoan locks. he whiffs on easily half his tackles because he cant wrap anyone up its either flying samoan torpedo or nothing.

ryan clark is pure ****, and at this point in his career does not compliment troy at all. sure troy has a knack for big plays (sometimes) but he gives up his fair share and really played the worst 3 games of his career in the playoffs this year

What did Flacco have in that game? 124 yards passing? Did Mason or Boldin have more than 2 catches. Troy probably didn't have anything to do with that though. You just remember his two torpedo missed tackles on Ray Rice.

McFadden, Madison and Gay suck. It doesn't take a genius to figure that out. Gay is a horrendous corner. Average at best in the nickel. Picked on every game by every QB we face. Time to cut ties with him and let our best corner (Crezdon Butler) play.

"Makes plays sometimes." Troy is the only playmaker we have on our team in the entire secondary. All I can tell you is we have the same roster as last year outside of Troy and McFadden yet have a much better defense than we did in 2009.

SteelDad
02-09-2011, 08:26 AM

Cannot argue with one word. Well said K!!:plus1:

BlitzburghRockCity
02-09-2011, 09:13 AM

Well said, the Steelers haven't had the best drafts with DB's. Everybody on that roster now with the exception of Taylor are nothing but career backups. Gay has had a good year, and he's improved by leaps and bounds over 2009. He's in a position that suits him better. I'm fine with him playing NB next year for us, although his deal is up so the team will have to decide if he's worth bringing back.

McFadden still has another year left on his deal too. This team needs to bring in atleast 2 good CB's via the draft this year, no question.

cmerrifield
02-09-2011, 09:24 AM
McFadden still has two years left on his deal. After we traded for him he signed a three year deal.

I like C. Butler, but he would have to go from a rookie to a starting CB. I think that might be too big of a jump to give an untested CB. He couldnt move into the nickel because Gay, assuming we bring him back, cant start. So, I think we either need to decide to live with McFadden this year and let Butler try and win the starting role, or bring in a FA CB and cut McFadden, it would save about 2.2 million in cap room. If the Front Office is high on Butler, maybe we sign a guy with only a year or two left in the tank. I just really hope we dont have the same starting 4 DB's next year. I am ok with Gay in the Nickel and of course our high risk/high reward SS.

andyg1984
02-09-2011, 11:22 AM
would anyone be surprised if we cut D-Mac tho?

LatrobePA
02-09-2011, 11:24 AM
would anyone be surprised if we cut D-Mac tho?

I'd be willing to bet he's gone!

steelersbabex25
02-09-2011, 03:37 PM
Polamalu , please guys he was the major reason for 3 victories down the stretch ,how soon can you forget that ? Polamalu was defensive player of the year . Now you criticize him for Rodgers perfection , C'mon man .
Next time he plays Rodgers he won't be fooled , he's not a fortune teller ,Rodger outplayed Polamalu with his eyes . Just give kundo's to Rodgers ,I never knew he was that good . Watch out he looked better than Brady in his first superbowl .

Rodgers was far from perfect. He couldn't throw Ike's way at all during the game, so he picked on McFadden and Gay. That's why he had good numbers.

K Train
02-09-2011, 03:47 PM
What did Flacco have in that game? 124 yards passing? Did Mason or Boldin have more than 2 catches. Troy probably didn't have anything to do with that though. You just remember his two torpedo missed tackles on Ray Rice.

McFadden, Madison and Gay suck. It doesn't take a genius to figure that out. Gay is a horrendous corner. Average at best in the nickel. Picked on every game by every QB we face. Time to cut ties with him and let our best corner (Crezdon Butler) play.

"Makes plays sometimes." Troy is the only playmaker we have on our team in the entire secondary. All I can tell you is we have the same roster as last year outside of Troy and McFadden yet have a much better defense than we did in 2009.

not saying hes not a good or even great player....but he disappeared in the playoffs and its not the first time either. i think hes notoriously overrated by not just steeler fans, but everyone. i stand by the statement i made that he did not deserve DPOY.

but like always OMG DID HE JUST CRITICIZE THE GREAT TROY POLAMALU!?!?!?!?!?!

HANG HIM

steelersbabex25
02-09-2011, 03:51 PM
not saying hes not a good or even great player....but he disappeared in the playoffs and its not the first time either. i think hes notoriously overrated by not just steeler fans, but everyone. i stand by the statement i made that he did not deserve DPOY.

but like always OMG DID HE JUST CRITICIZE THE GREAT TROY POLAMALU!?!?!?!?!?!

HANG HIM

I get where you're coming from, but on the other hand you just can't even begin to think about getting rid of him because, well, think about what our secondary would look like if we did.

With Troy it's either all or nothing, but I'll take the nothing because the all games make up for that.

K Train
02-09-2011, 04:12 PM
never suggested getting rid of him, but he needs help out there....ryan clark isnt the answer, i dont car if he can lay the crush troy needs someone who can play centerfield, help corners, and be able to make up for the areas troy is lacking (discipline).

i really think quinton carter from oklahoma would be a perfect fit at FS...hes a big hitter, a tweener CB/FS so hes got great speed, and could play centerfield and dominate.

even a rangy FS like deunta williams or rahim moore would be good for us.

i would like to think crezdon butler and donovan warren have a future with this seondary, it would just be delightful if they panned out.

butler is a sick athlete and the sky is the limit for him, but now is his chance to step up. warren is too slow for a CB but he has fantastic instincts necessary to play FS

cmerrifield
02-09-2011, 04:23 PM
I read something on twitter today, but twitter is down so I cannot find it, but the guy basically said it was McFadden's fault Troy disappeared in the playoffs. He had to play too far back to help cover for McFadden and his injury. Clark is too slow to give the kind of help that McFadden needed. I thought it was an interesting thought. I agree with Train, lets get a better FS, because Troy is high risk/high reward, so we need someone back there who can help cover for his instincts when they are off.

Just checked Twitter, it was the Dale Lolley blog

HUNT4SEVEN
02-09-2011, 07:53 PM
gay is a good player...not a starter full time but solid depth, a good NB, and a hell of a pass rusher from the NB spot...I wish we would of Blitz him more from the Nickel spot In the Superbowl...

Clark IS A BUM,, he has zero closing speed.:clap::clap:I TOTALLY AGREE he has been a liability ALL YEAR...

never suggested getting rid of him, but he needs help out there....ryan clark isnt the answer, i dont care if he can lay the crush troy needs someone who can play centerfield, help corners, and be able to make up for the areas troy is lacking (discipline). WE need to get rid of his no covering @$$

butler is a sick athlete and the sky is the limit for him, but now is his chance to step up. warren is too slow for a CB but he has fantastic instincts necessary to play FS :clap: I agree...

steelersbabex25
02-09-2011, 07:56 PM
Clark IS A BUM,, he has zero closing speed.:clap::clap:I TOTALLY AGREE he has been a liability ALL YEAR...

Clark is not the first one that should go though. We need to get rid of our biggest liabilities first, and that's probably McFadden and Madison, maybe Gay if they keep putting him in coverage. Until we can get some corners that can really play, the Steelers will keep their top 3 players in the secondary, and that's Troy, Ike, and Clark :imho:

harpo
02-09-2011, 09:07 PM
I think William Gay should not be re-signed. Yes, he's a good Nickel but the Steelers need someone who can be a good Nickel AND play on the end should one of their starters get injured. Gay has shown that he is not that guy.

They definitely need to address the secondary in the forthcoming draft. It wouldn't be a bad move to trade up to get someone who can start right away. I highly suspect them to go after Johnathan Joseph in FA because Champ is too old, Nnamdi is too expensive and Cromartie comes with too much baggage. We'll see what happens. It should be an interesting off-season in Pittsburgh.

franchise3
02-09-2011, 09:42 PM
It's not Gay's fault. He just can't play CB position and it was very clear from the first few games we watched him. We all ended last year saying how secondary and more specifically Gay in the coverage is the biggest problem and we are doing the same thing this year. When teams were passing 75% against us last year we were losing to crappy teams. So you should know that teams will watch the tapes and we will need 5 DB's. That to me is unacceptable. The problem was not addressed. D-Mac had a horrible year at Cards last year, why would they think that he would solve the problems? Clark is getting slower every year and so is Farrior (which also affects your secondary when dropping ILB is 36 years old).

K Train
02-09-2011, 10:17 PM
I think William Gay should not be re-signed. Yes, he's a good Nickel but the Steelers need someone who can be a good Nickel AND play on the end should one of their starters get injured. Gay has shown that he is not that guy.

They definitely need to address the secondary in the forthcoming draft. It wouldn't be a bad move to trade up to get someone who can start right away. I highly suspect them to go after Johnathan Joseph in FA because Champ is too old, Nnamdi is too expensive and Cromartie comes with too much baggage. We'll see what happens. It should be an interesting off-season in Pittsburgh.

too much baggage? he doesnt know his kids names?

SteelJunkie
02-09-2011, 10:18 PM
Well its not all gays fault, but the secondary has been poor for years. Gay, Bmac and clark have been picked on for years. Even when Bmac was in Arizona he was the whippin boy for passes. It didn't help that Troy has been playing below par most of the time. We need more good CB's not just Ike, and a ball hawking safety. That has been my wish list for awhile, but unfortunately we haven't had luck drafting them positions.

Mike Tomlin
02-10-2011, 02:58 AM
I think the person who's most to blame for our loss in the superbowl is Aaron Rodgers he was just surgical wit it. When B-mac left last year I was excited because I figured we were going to bring in a vet or had some plan to replace him. Instead they started Gay who was just developing into a good 3 and made him a terrible 2. Then they compound the problem by bringing B-mac back and sliding Gay back to the 3 where he has to get use to that position all over again while B-mac gets toasted. So we basically wasted 2 years of developement with Gay by that constant switching and still don't have a number 2. If we don't get a good vet or trade up and get a good rookie we'll never win another superbowl with the way these quarterbacks and receivers attack the zone now. It is a must that you have corners who can play man and right now we got one and a half.

harpo
02-10-2011, 08:41 AM
too much baggage? he doesnt know his kids names?

His personal life is his personal life. I'm referencing Cromartie 'the football player', not Cromartie 'the baby-maker'.

DIESELMAN
02-10-2011, 08:59 AM
By the time the FO does something to help correct our secondary problem, Ike and Troy will be too old to play. Look how long it took to draft a top OL. We will continue to apply band aids to sucking chest wounds.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mike Tomlin
02-10-2011, 11:52 AM
His personal life is his personal life. I'm referencing Cromartie 'the football player', not Cromartie 'the baby-maker'.
Cro is a slight upgrade over our corners ,but don't let the
Jets fool you he got roasted quite a bit this year. He gets beat alot in off coverage.

K Train
02-10-2011, 12:06 PM
i love cromartie....the jets pass rush sucks, not as bad as the chargers did in his last few years there but the steelers have a tremendous pass rush and with cros style of play thats what he needs. hes over aggressive but he has elite hands and return ability, you dont want to throw an errant pass his way cause you need to rush the throw cause of the pass rush because he'll come down with it

Mike Tomlin
02-10-2011, 01:17 PM
i love cromartie....the jets pass rush sucks, not as bad as the chargers did in his last few years there but the steelers have a tremendous pass rush and with cros style of play thats what he needs. hes over aggressive but he has elite hands and return ability, you dont want to throw an errant pass his way cause you need to rush the throw cause of the pass rush because he'll come down with itI do agree that a rushed throw his way will have a better outcome then when it's thrown B-macs way.

SteelDad
02-10-2011, 01:22 PM
By the time the FO does something to help correct our secondary problem, Ike and Troy will be too old to play. Look how long it took to draft a top OL. We will continue to apply band aids to sucking chest wounds.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

And this is the Steeler way... We don't sign big name FA's and we develop our own talent. Problem is that 'our own talent' at CB has not been good by a long shot.

harpo
02-10-2011, 02:03 PM
i love cromartie....the jets pass rush sucks, not as bad as the chargers did in his last few years there but the steelers have a tremendous pass rush and with cros style of play thats what he needs. hes over aggressive but he has elite hands and return ability, you dont want to throw an errant pass his way cause you need to rush the throw cause of the pass rush because he'll come down with it

I like him, too. He's a very good player and certainly an upgrade over McFadden and Gay. What concerns me is that, for the most part, the Steelers keep their business 'in-house' and we all know how Cro likes to speak his mind. Or perhaps that was just the NY media feeding him the bait? I don't know. :thinking:

I'll put it this way....if they did sign him, i wouldn't be opposed to it. I just wouldn't want him running his mouth like he did with the Jets this year.

Question:

Who would you rather the Steelers sign, Johnathan Joseph or Cromartie?

K Train
02-10-2011, 02:12 PM
i think joseph is the more sound corner, cromartie had/has unreal potential but he cant put it all together.

and the only reason any jet ran their mouths this year is because ryan encourages it

Rampage
02-10-2011, 02:16 PM
Hell, I would take Joseph or Cromartie if the Steelers could also wrap up Taylor and Woodley.

Imagine having Taylor and either corner along with the Steelers pass rush and run defense. Brutal.

MDSteel15
02-10-2011, 02:31 PM
jimmy smith is the truth. harris and williams have good program pedigrees and a solid collegiate career, but im telling you smith is the way to go for what we need

:plus1: :bunny:

harpo
02-10-2011, 03:07 PM
i think joseph is the more sound corner, cromartie had/has unreal potential but he cant put it all together.

and the only reason any jet ran their mouths this year is because ryan encourages it

Yeah, i would agree.

Something tells me that they're going to make a push to go after Joseph this offseason. If so, i'd definitely be ok with that.

Mike Tomlin
02-10-2011, 04:42 PM
Yeah, i would agree.

Something tells me that they're going to make a push to go after Joseph this offseason. If so, i'd definitely be ok with that.
Yeah i'd be happy with Joseph too. He would be perfect on the other side of Ike. I do believe Ike will be signed soon, he shown he's willing to give a hometown discount in the past. Woodley will be franchised and be given another year to prove what he can do before the Rooneys decide to let him go. Hopefully we'll outright release B-mac so that contract can be off the books.

Ibleedblk&gld
02-10-2011, 07:36 PM
i'm not tired of blaming gay (when it comes to coverage)...he's absolutely horrid in coverage

Phenomenal TJ
02-12-2011, 03:51 PM
Cromartie's one of the best in man to man, but is HORRIBLE in zone.

Scorp
02-12-2011, 07:12 PM
:imho:........:+1: