PDA

View Full Version : 52 yards.......and a miss

steelers4life66
02-07-2011, 11:29 PM
Was anyone else flipping out when Mike tried that 52 yard FG. We still had the game in hand and was having success stopping Rodgers IF he had to drive the length of the field. Every time we gave them good field position they scored. I thought for sure Ben would do his punt thing and all of a sudden I see them lining up for a FG try. :evilshake:

DanRooney
02-07-2011, 11:30 PM
Wretched decision.

igor0190
02-07-2011, 11:31 PM
Considering who your playing... Yeah they probably should've punted. Although Suisham had more than enough distance on that kick.

Troyisabeast_43
02-07-2011, 11:35 PM
The 52 yard FG miss and Tomlin's poor usage of timeouts in the 2nd half using 2 of the 3 timeouts in the 3rd quarter when you knew the game was going to be close and you would need them in the 4th quarter was very very poor coaching on the part of Tomlin. Like I said in another thread here the Steelers had all the momentum in this game starting midway through the 3rd quarter and going into the 4th quarter and simply pissed it all away especially after the Mendenhall fumble, and really let the Packers off the hook big time...

SteelerDave74
02-07-2011, 11:52 PM
I couldn't believe they went for a 52 yarder. Common sense would of said, PUNT THE DAMN BALL!!!

A Pac
02-08-2011, 12:00 AM
Didn't Green Bay end up punting after that?

Scorp
02-08-2011, 12:40 AM
I couldn't believe it but the Steelers went for broke and got nothing. Can't change it now.

Woodson_DownUnder
02-08-2011, 04:37 AM
I was also STUNNED when the FG unit came out to take a shot. Perhaps Tomlin was totally SOLD on Suisham after the Bills game that being indoors would be a gimme but obviously nobody told Mike that Suisham was 'no Mr Automatic'. But regardless of that botched attempt, Big Ben had the ball in his hands with enough time to move us into the Red Zone and give the Steelers every chance to snatch a miraculous victory that would of no doubt put Big Ben up there with the greats.

cmerrifield
02-08-2011, 05:38 AM
Its because he was hitting from 50 in warm-ups. Tomlin always watches the kicker during warm-ups and decides based on that. He hit from 54, so Tomlin thought he could hit it.

Woodson_DownUnder
02-08-2011, 05:43 AM
Its because he was hitting from 50 in warm-ups. Tomlin always watches the kicker during warm-ups and decides based on that. He hit from 54, so Tomlin thought he could hit it.

Fair enough. If that's the case... I'll take back my comments. Thanx for informing us that Suisham accomplished his deed and it just looks bad on Tomlin when it went pear-shaped.

cmerrifield
02-08-2011, 06:48 AM
Yeah, Wexell tweeted he hit from that far in warm-ups, but Suisham's playoff percentage scares me (50% 4-8), I hope we find another kicker this offseason.

steelersbabex25
02-08-2011, 02:59 PM
I guess I'm in the minority here, but at the time I liked the decision. Obviously now we know that it should have been a punt, but I thought why the hell not? I guess Tomlin was figuring if Sweezy misses, you give them the ball at the 35 with the #1 defense there to stop them, and I think they did if I'm not mistaken. Point being, this play call, in the end, most likely wouldn't have done **** to change the overall outcome of the game.

BlitzburghRockCity
02-08-2011, 03:16 PM
No question about it, considering a punt would have pinned them deep and the opportunity make a play giving your offense a short field is increased greatly. I know Suisham was booting from 51 yds in pregame, but that's different than kicking it when it counts with defenders in your face. One of the worst decisions he's made all year hands down. Sean had the leg for it but being in a game like this there are times to take chances and times to not, this one wasn't that time IMO.

Goodfrom55
02-08-2011, 03:27 PM

Just a case of a kicker trying to kick the ball to hard and turned his hips too quickly. Not a bad decision, just a bad kick.

Phenomenal TJ
02-08-2011, 03:29 PM
Bills fans were laughing at that kick. BILLS FANS

Goodfrom55
02-08-2011, 04:37 PM
Yeah, Wexell tweeted he hit from that far in warm-ups, but Suisham's playoff percentage scares me (50% 4-8), I hope we find another kicker this offseason.

ALEX HENERY PK/P NEBRASKA. Good Punter, but the best college PK in the country - bar none.

--- Added 2/8/2011 at 03:37 PM ---

54 for 54 PAT's, 18 for 19 in FG's longest FG 53 Yards. Only missed FG all season was 50+

Consistent touchbacks on kickoffs.