PDA

View Full Version : Mendenhall

Clevelandsux
02-07-2011, 09:49 PM
This guy has so much potential. When he's on, he reminds me of Franco Harris. Other times he dances, doesn't hit the holes. And he's a fumbler. His fumble yesterday was the icing on the cake. You cannot cough up the ball in that situation in a sb. Ok I'll give Matthews credit, he made a great play. But Mendenhall has fumbled before, and yesterdays was huge. We were about to take the lead. I just don't know about this guy.

Real Deal Steel
02-07-2011, 09:56 PM
Mendenhall has potential. But I've been telling everyone that Dwyer is just as good as Mendenhall. And if Mendenhall doesn't remedy his fumbling, Dwyer should have every opportunity to start.

Compitition will either make Mendy better, or he can watch from the sidelines.

SteelerDave74
02-07-2011, 10:08 PM
If Mendy would stop dancing around and just blow through the line, he has the potential to be as good as Jerome was. Redman is the real deal and I want to see more Dwyer for sure.

Goodfrom55
02-07-2011, 10:51 PM
Not mentioned in this is how Legursky totally whiffed on his block which forced Mendenhall right into Matthews.

Still think Mendenhall is the man and think he will pay serious dividends once the Steelers stabilize the O-Line. Look what he did behind a bunch of patchwork linemen.

BlacknGold Bleeder
02-07-2011, 11:04 PM
Rushhard is and will be our starting running back..,Dwyer is the fourth back for a reason. He took the full blow of the hit from Matthews right on the arm, there aren't many backs in this league that would hold onto the ball in that situation. To blame Legursky for it...I ain't goin there ,that's just nuts...

pimplydan
02-07-2011, 11:13 PM
I don't remember Mendy having fumbles this year , does somebody know how many he had .

Troyisabeast_43
02-07-2011, 11:23 PM
Not mentioned in this is how Legursky totally whiffed on his block which forced Mendenhall right into Matthews.

Still think Mendenhall is the man and think he will pay serious dividends once the Steelers stabilize the O-Line. Look what he did behind a bunch of patchwork linemen.

It was actually David Johnson who whiffed on the block of Matthews not Legursky. I thought Johnson had a very poor game and made a few key mistakes at bad times during the game. The Steelers still dont have a true fullback.

--- Added 2/7/2011 at 10:23 PM ---

If Mendy would stop dancing around and just blow through the line, he has the potential to be as good as Jerome was. Redman is the real deal and I want to see more Dwyer for sure.

This running game with Mendy,Redman,and Dwyer has a chance to be a special group of young talented runners that can really be a force with the Steelers for a very long time over many seasons coming up here. This team needs to sure up a few areas mainly Corner and secondary help,and offensive line. Getting Starks,Pouncey,and possibly Colon back will help that. But overall if Ben stays healthy and this defense with it's core players can continue to play like they are capable of the Steelers will be right back in it thick of the race to go to the Super Bowl next season...

igor0190
02-07-2011, 11:25 PM
Pretty sure there were two Steelers 5 yards in the backfield when Mendenhall got hit... One of them was Legursky.

Mr. Goosemahn
02-08-2011, 04:31 AM
The guy who missed on the block was David Johnson, and it was clear it was his fault. Legursky pulled to the right and struggled with his man, but Johnson simply did nothing on the play; his bad block caused the fumble and his confused sense of surroundings had him standing there with the ball behind him. Mendenhall wasn't going anywhere, he was going to lose yards, but Johnson simply whiffed and Matthews came in for the kill.

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-game-highlights/09000d5d81e2cf79/Mendenhall-fumble

Also, Mendenhall does not have a fumbling problem. He used to have one as a rookie, not anymore. I'd like to see him carry the ball closer to his chest, but it doesn't affect him nearly as much as people think it does.

He had 4 fumbles this year in 385 carries, including the postseason. That's a fumble every 96 runs, which is more than great by me. Basically a fumble every three or four games. He did lose all 4 fumbles, usually players lose about half of them. 2 of those 4 came in the post-season, one in the SB, and one vs. Baltimore, which Kemoeatu accidentally forced.

--- Added 2/8/2011 at 03:31 AM ---

Mendenhall has potential. But I've been telling everyone that Dwyer is just as good as Mendenhall. And if Mendenhall doesn't remedy his fumbling, Dwyer should have every opportunity to start.

Compitition will either make Mendy better, or he can watch from the sidelines.

I really want to see what Dwyer can do, but on the few snaps he's gotten, he looks inept in everything except running. Can't pick up blitzes, can't catch well, can't make reads, and can't adjust to the holes. Only thing I really liked when I saw him was how hard he hit the hole and ran afterwards, but he doesn't do much more. Playing in the triple option at Georgia Tech really stunted his development, he basically just had to run in a straight line and do nothing else.

Woodson_DownUnder
02-08-2011, 05:59 AM
I really want to see what Dwyer can do, but on the few snaps he's gotten, he looks inept in everything except running. Can't pick up blitzes, can't catch well, can't make reads, and can't adjust to the holes. Only thing I really liked when I saw him was how hard he hit the hole and ran afterwards, but he doesn't do much more. Playing in the triple option at Georgia Tech really stunted his development, he basically just had to run in a straight line and do nothing else.

Too one dimensional for my liking after reading that. In the footage highlight reels I watched after the Steelers drafted him, his pace is a worry. Not a burner by any stretch of the imagination.

UKSTEELER
02-08-2011, 06:49 AM
I think the light is just starting to come on with Mendy, he's looked real good this post-season. I see him going from strength to strength.

To really flourish, he needs to be able to do more than just run right though!!

Everyone has a weakness, Mendy secures the ball better than what he used to, but old habits die hard, runners have gone through seasons with no fumbles or 1 or 2, I can deal with that, Green bay keyed on it, so that is a problem, . . . there is room for improvement here, improve his ball security and he'll be a great one.

Nolrog
02-08-2011, 07:04 AM
I don't remember Mendy having fumbles this year , does somebody know how many he had .

He fumbled twice in the regular season in 324 carries.

In the post season, he fumbled twice, in 61 carries. Once in the divisional round once in the SB.

In his career (regular season) he's had 5 fumbles in 585 carries, or an average of once every 117 carries.

Doesn't seem like it's excessive to me.

Blazedby92
02-08-2011, 10:33 AM
I am probably the hardest on Mendy because of his toughness,dancing in the backfield and he has gotten better with his fumbles but he can pay BIG dividends when he and the OL are on, without a fumble and a SB 45 win he might have been MVP.

SteelDad
02-08-2011, 10:37 AM
Would anyone be surprised if we drafted a speedster at RB in the mid-rounds of the draft? Lot depends on the offense and if Arians is still employed, but just a thought.

LatrobePA
02-08-2011, 10:55 AM
Spin-den-hall will be fine, but he has to remember he's not Chris Johnson and can't keep spinning around and dodging would be tacklers, run them over!

Mr. Goosemahn
02-08-2011, 10:57 AM
Would anyone be surprised if we drafted a speedster at RB in the mid-rounds of the draft? Lot depends on the offense and if Arians is still employed, but just a thought.

I'd love to get a speed back, but not with an early-mid pick. I'd take Noel Devine late in the draft, but hopefully we pick up a guy like Jerious Norwood, or a guy like Cadillac Williams to replace Mewelde Moore. LeGarrette Blount has locked up the starting gig in Tampa Bay, and Williams doesn't really have much of a future there anymore.

He was, statistically, the best third down back in the league last year, and I like that. Basically a replacement for Mewelde Moore.

And I'd also like to draft Owen Marecic from Stanford, a true run-blocking FB. Starts at both FB and LB for them, knows how to hit, and most importantly, knows how to block well. Just look at how succesful Toby Gerhart was. Look up his highlights on youtube and look at #48 blocking in front of him.

Rampage
02-08-2011, 11:02 AM
It seems like Mendenhall got away from the high and tight philosophy towards the end of the season and he kept holding that arm out in space. Just needs to address the way he holds on and we're golden.

SteelCityKid5
02-08-2011, 12:28 PM
I like Mendy. He sure as hell didnt have as many fumbles this year as years passed. I'll keep him. But we need another running back (Dwyer?) to help Mendy out. I like Redman but I dont think hes that type of back. Hes more short yardage.

andyg1984
02-08-2011, 12:52 PM
This guy has so much potential. When he's on, he reminds me of Franco Harris. Other times he dances, doesn't hit the holes. And he's a fumbler. His fumble yesterday was the icing on the cake. You cannot cough up the ball in that situation in a sb. Ok I'll give Matthews credit, he made a great play. But Mendenhall has fumbled before, and yesterdays was huge. We were about to take the lead. I just don't know about this guy.

other than them being steelers, how are mendy and harris at all similar?

at the end of the day the best athlete (which is clearly mendy) should be the RB .. we can live with a fumble here and there moreso than we could with mewelde moore being unexplosive

steelersbabex25
02-08-2011, 02:45 PM
Potential? Potential signifies that he hasn't really done anything yet. Was I the only one watching the post season? He ran harder than I've seen any Steeler back run since the Bus left. He's got speed and power, what more do you want in a back? As for the fumbling, uh, I haven't really noticed any fumbling. If anything, it's his LACK of fumbling that should be recognized. He coughs up the ball rarely. Aside from the superbowl, I can't even remember the last time he's fumbled, and I certainly can't remember it happening a lot. Last point: the reason he dances so much is because there are never any holes open for him to run down the middle. He has to dance to not get stuffed every play. He does good things when he runs to the outside. Until we get a good offensive line, he should be rushed to the outside every time. I don't care how repetitive it is, it's the only thing that works.

stratocaster68
02-08-2011, 04:01 PM

Based on some stats I've read, 3, including the Superbowl. He does not have a problem. Mathews just made a hell of a play.

Nolrog
02-08-2011, 07:06 PM

They'd be better off drafting a full back than a speedster RB. Mendenhall is fast enough.

parker39
02-08-2011, 07:26 PM
Rushhard is and will be our starting running back..,Dwyer is the fourth back for a reason. He took the full blow of the hit from Matthews right on the arm, there aren't many backs in this league that would hold onto the ball in that situation. To blame Legursky for it...I ain't goin there ,that's just nuts...

They will do better someday>>>>>GO BROWNS!!!!!!!!

K Train
02-08-2011, 07:36 PM
hes a "fumbler"? lol keep reaching for excuses. he had what? a handful this year? give me a break

Goodfrom55
02-08-2011, 07:42 PM
He is shaping up to be a complete back. I can't wait to see what he does next year and how much more maturity and growth he displays. When he was drafted, I wasn't crazy about the pick because of his work ethic, but he really grew up thanks to Tomlin.

andyg1984
02-08-2011, 07:44 PM
They'd be better off drafting a full back than a speedster RB. Mendenhall is fast enough.

im fine with DJ .. he missed one or two a couple nights ago, but he is a beast .. i will take the speedster ..btwn mendy and redman we have enough power

North Steel
02-08-2011, 09:13 PM
I'm not knocking Mendy but I sure miss having a running back like the BUS,when ever you needed those short yardage downs you knew he'd get it and more.:helmet:

steelersbabex25
02-08-2011, 09:15 PM
I'm not knocking Mendy but I sure miss having a running back like the BUS,when ever you needed those short yardage downs you knew he'd get it and more.:helmet:

2 words: Redzone. Redman.

LatrobePA
02-08-2011, 09:47 PM
2 words: Redzone. Redman.

Mendy is and will be MONEY! If we had the right gameplan he'd been MVP!

BlitzburghRockCity
02-09-2011, 03:24 PM
I honestly don't know how well Bettis would do in this offense now. I'm sure he'd be effective just because of how talented he is, but the fact that we pass more now and rely on the speed of Mendenhall to break a lot of plays outside is different than how we used to be. Redman and Mendy both are quite capable of dragging players and have done so all year.

Goodfrom55
02-09-2011, 03:34 PM
Steelers are set at RB for the next 5 years. Secondary should be their absolute priority as the league continues to evolve into a passing league.

stratocaster68
02-09-2011, 03:47 PM
I honestly don't know how well Bettis would do in this offense now. I'm sure he'd be effective just because of how talented he is, but the fact that we pass more now and rely on the speed of Mendenhall to break a lot of plays outside is different than how we used to be. Redman and Mendy both are quite capable of dragging players and have done so all year.

IMHO, Bettis was almost unstoppable for 1-2 yards. I never paid enough attention to notice if it was the initial push from the blocking or the force of Bettis running.

harpo
02-09-2011, 07:53 PM
I personally don't like Mendenhall as a RB, and never have but he's the best that the Steelers have right now. I don't like how he swings his arm when he runs and I don't like how he hesitates at times, instead of hitting the hole. Also, I don't like how he doesn't get low, square his shoulders and make contact with defenders. He used to irritate me to no end on how he would spin to avoid contact, but he has tone that part of his game down a bit.

I will say that he is solid catching the ball out of the backfield, and his blocking has matured. I think the biggest thing is I just hate how he swings his arms back and forth when he runs...lol

I don't know....maybe he'll grow on me. :lol:

SteelersWoman
02-10-2011, 05:21 AM
...The Steelers still dont have a true fullback.

Well, we DID...

(http://articles.latimes.com/2011/feb/02/sports/la-sp-packers-kuhn-20110203)http://articles.latimes.com/2011/feb/02/sports/la-sp-packers-kuhn-20110203
(http://articles.latimes.com/2011/feb/02/sports/la-sp-packers-kuhn-20110203)February 02, 2011 (http://www.steeleraddicts.com/2011/feb/02)|By Sam Farmer
John Kuhn, a Packer of today, is a Steeler of yesterday

The fullback already has a Super Bowl ring from his time with Pittsburgh. Now he's a key component in Green Bay's offense.

(http://articles.latimes.com/2011/feb/02/sports/la-sp-packers-kuhn-20110203)

Some idiot thought a fullback really isn't necessary, so John goes on to Green Bay and has a stellar year which was instrumental in helping them get to the SB.

K Train
02-10-2011, 11:08 AM
kuhn is a much better runner than he is blocker, and he became a better blocker with the packers...hes one of the more overrated former steelers during his tenure here

Mike Tomlin
02-10-2011, 12:28 PM
Let's give the Packers some credit that hit was perfect ,Mathews and (another player )smashed Mendenhall at the same time. I don't care what running back you put out there on that play 7 out ten will fumble that. They hit him perfectly I don't think it mattered how he tucked it. Mendenhall is well in his way, he's finally starting to play his size and drop his shoulder at the end of his runs. People please stop saying that was a great play by Mathews and give that other guy some credit, if don't know what I mean just watch the play. Bottomline it just wasn't our day, everything went perfect for them from Rodgers fingertip scraping passes through our secondary to the turnovers it was just their time.

SteelersWoman
02-11-2011, 01:37 AM
kuhn is a much better runner than he is blocker, and he became a better blocker with the packers...hes one of the more overrated former steelers during his tenure here

I will never adjust to Arians not liking fullbacks, not wanting to use them, and not knowing HOW to use them, and I was upset about letting Kuhn go, and even more bitter after all the accolades about him this year.

I always liked him, and saw his potential. I feel it's too bad that the people who had the power on our team to keep him didn't see that potential as well.

James Harrison was a player with potential--just took awhile for it to develop. I for one am glad that we tried one more time with him. Same thing could've happended (IMO) with Kuhn. He matured and learned in GB--but he'd have done that here too with the right coach and direction.