PDA

View Full Version : Green Grass

Steelerlyn
01-02-2007, 06:16 PM
Cowher is in one of those jobs where the grass is not greener. The money may be better but the job is not. He has job security and is loved by his staff, the team and the town he works in. He can get more money for sure and it is easy for all of us to ask "how much is enough?", but when will people stop and look at what they have. He may legitimately need to take a break and he has that luxury that you and I don't have. But, when he gets back the job he takes will be far different from the one he had. I would love to think that he is sincere and needs to step away for a break and spend time with the family. I would also like to see him return at a nice college program where he can not compete with the Steelers and just enjoy coaching while being able to delegate more of the workload. ( Penn State in 2 years?) I wish him well and will support who ever takes over, but I'd prefer he stay . Something I think he'd prefer the moment he leaves.

BlitzburghRockCity
01-02-2007, 07:39 PM
That's the problem with being a head coach, you can't just take a year off to relax and then come back and everything is hunky dorey...when you leave, you leave, there is no coming back when another HC is firmly intrenched, especially when you're talking about Steelers head coaching job that comes around once every 15-20 years.

If he does step away and then get back into coaching, he'll realize then how good he had working for the Rooneys.

House of Steel
01-02-2007, 07:42 PM
He steps away, you watch him kick himself in the *** later. I see this coming if he retires.

BlitzburghRockCity
01-02-2007, 10:38 PM
There's no better job in the NFL as far as head coaching though, I just hope he realizes that if/when he leaves.

Steelerlyn
01-03-2007, 12:00 AM
I would still be surprised to see him go with the record they had this season. I think it is all about money and he should be earning what the Walrus in Seattle (sorry Hawk) is making or more. It is always about money. Why would he suddenly have to be with his daughter? The other 2 are at Princeton, they made it through high school with their dad a Steeler coach, so to me this is a red herring. If as ESPN news service reports, the Steelers aren't interested in having Cowher significantly reduce his presence in Pittsburgh by constantly shuttling back and forth to North Carolina,
where he also owns a summer home.................that would make sende to me. If BC wants to have his cake and eat it too (fly back & forth to NC) and not get the 8 million Walrus gets (sorry Hawk) and the Rooneys don't want that type of a situation well, it is Bill's life and he should do what he feels he needs to do, I personally do not think he will leave. i hope

However, there seems little doubt Cowher could make that kind of money should he retire, work next season as an NFL analyst for a TV network, then sign with another team in 2008 or 2009 after all of his daughters have left home. I do not believe it is about his family and spending more time with them, he has said over and over that he is not burned out; it is all about MONEY.

:tt02: :tt02: :tt02: :tt02:

House of Steel
01-03-2007, 12:03 AM
Your making a whole lot of sense here, Lyn. Family does come into play, but what I like to know his, why has his head swelled into an egomaniac for money? He preaches to his player to accept their low pay and stay aboard for the ride. Look at the example he is setting here, that is a contradiction there. Isn't this a slap in the face to the players if he wants more money here? I don't know what to believe anymore.

Steelerlyn
01-03-2007, 12:21 AM
Is anyone here old enough to remember, the early 90's when BC was up for a contract? These coaches use the media (as do the players as do the owners to get what they want). Cowher wanted a certain amount of money and he said, (this is out of context) If I do not get the money I want, I will coach across the river. When the Rooneys wanted the taxpayers to pay for the new stadium they also used the media. It is a game and it is tiresome. If a person is going to retire, they know it, it doesn't take an Einstein to figure it out. He wants more money and maybe he should be getting more money, if the going rate has anything to do with consecutive success, he deserves more money.

BlacknGold Bleeder
01-03-2007, 12:24 AM
I don't believe he needs to make 8 million a year he has to take into account the job stability, the adoration of the fans, the winning tradition.
Nobody made him buy the summer house in NC. It was bought with the intention of moving there, who buys a 2.5 million dollar summer home?? Especially when you are only being paid a measly 4 million or whatever it is.

Steelersfan
01-03-2007, 12:24 AM
He wants more money and maybe he should be getting more money, if the going rate has anything to do with consecutive success, he deserves more money.

Well Cowher should remember that if he was coaching for about any other team he would have been fired about 6 years ago when the team stunk....lol Not to mention the players he talked into taking paycuts so he could get his SB ring.

Steelerlyn
01-03-2007, 12:27 AM
Don't you think the Rooneys had something to do with Cowher talking them into paycuts? Hell, he saved them a ton of money. Like I have always told my employees, "when an employee fails to make you money, it is time to get rid of them."

House of Steel
01-03-2007, 12:27 AM
YOu both said it right on the money. Cowher is being an selfish man right now. You know what I thought, he would of been fired a long time ago in the 97-98 season, I thought he was a goner. Nope, the Rooneys kept him cause they knew something we the fan didn't know and look what happened. Now then, Cowher better be thanking his blessings and the Rooneys that they didn't give up on him. I wish he quit the bullshit and get on the roll here.

Steelersfan
01-03-2007, 12:29 AM
Not only did they keep him I'm pretty sure he got a raise right about then.

BlitzburghRockCity
01-03-2007, 01:14 AM
Yep, he's gotten a pretty nice raise each contract extension that he's signed.

The more I think about this, the more confusing it really is. Part of me says, he the guy has a right to as much money as he can get and would be a fool to pass up more money if he can get it now or later. The other part of me says though, Damn Bill this isn't about the money, you make more than enough to survive on, it's about the Steelers dude; the legacy, the job, the team, the city, the history, the fans who love you to death.

Then the whole family situation comes in and complicates it even more.

Steelerlyn
01-03-2007, 11:01 AM
I do not believe for one minute it is about "the family" I believe it is about the Rooney's wanting his presence in Pittsburgh as reported by ESPN, if that is even true, which I have my doubrs and the bottom line, it is ALL ABOUT THE MONEY. I despised that man back in the 90's when he made the statement (this is out of context he would go across the river and coach meaning the Browns). It has always been about the money, the more he can talk players out of, the more perks he gets. I want him back too but I am not into these media games, S**t or get off the pot! The Steelers will survive WITHOUT Bill Cowher, I think we as fans want him back because he is Pittsburgh, we are used to him and many of us only remember Bill Cowher.

BlitzburghRockCity
01-03-2007, 11:13 AM
Cowher knows what he's doing with the media. If he didnt want this to become a media circus he would have never brought it up in the first place out a stop to it and stopped answering any questions about it at all until he was ready.

Steelerlyn
01-03-2007, 11:25 AM
Cowher knows what he's doing with the media. If he didnt want this to become a media circus he would have never brought it up in the first place out a stop to it and stopped answering any questions about it at all until he was ready.

You are completely correct. By bringing this up to the media, fans will call and write the Rooneys, adding pressure to them, so BC can get what he wants. It is a game and we are the pawns, I want no part of it.

TampaSteelGirl
01-03-2007, 03:44 PM
He steps away, you watch him kick himself in the *** later. I see this coming if he retires.

Completely agree 100%!! At least he's taking some time to think about it and I'm glad the Rooneys are not pressuring him..I hope he stays!!:tt02:

TampaSteelGirl
01-03-2007, 03:46 PM
You are completely correct. By bringing this up to the media, fans will call and write the Rooneys, adding pressure to them, so BC can get what he wants. It is a game and we are the pawns, I want no part of it.

I don't agree with that... I don't think its a matter of money at all..he's deciding wether to coach or not..I don't think he's that greedy, never has been. I totally disagree!!

BBG7
01-03-2007, 04:38 PM
When you are a head coach in the NFL...you take on everything. I think about things that my Dad gave up to be with his kids and to be involved in our life (esp. my brother) being a head coach in the NFL is so much more time consuming then the things my Dad was involved with. He has been doing it for 15 years....think of everything he may have missed in their lives already. Football and the Steelers were his life. Even if it is about money, don't you think he deserves a little more. He has been with us for 15 years, he deserves compensated for it. I guess we will find out soon enough. I also don't think he is the one making this a media frenzy. The media can take one little thing and make it into a huge controversy, we should all know that by now. Making this a media frenzy wouldn't benefit him at all. Getting fan mail will not pressure the Rooney's into doing something they don't feel is best for the team.