PDA

View Full Version : let the Nnamdi Asomugha talk begin

acero
02-07-2011, 01:34 PM
we do need a shut down cb but as we know the steelers dont go after big name free agents

what do you think?

Rampage
02-07-2011, 01:42 PM
I can't see it happening. The Raiders will throw a ton of money at him and the Steelers won't be able to match.

The odds of the Steelers actually going after a big name in free agency and making a generous enough offer are slim to none.

coldrolled
02-07-2011, 01:42 PM
Sign him...

LatrobePA
02-07-2011, 01:44 PM
The only player they might be interested in trading for would be Woodley, throw in BL to sweeten the deal!

DanRooney
02-07-2011, 02:17 PM
We can't trade Woodley he'll be a FA.

mwittman5
02-07-2011, 02:19 PM
just re-sign Ike and draft a corner in the 1st round. Maybe trade up for that corner from miami or a mock draft has us taking jimmy smith a corner from colorado thats 6'2 200 lbs and is supposed to be good.

SteelDad
02-07-2011, 02:19 PM
The Steelers don't sign big time free agents guys. This is not happening. We build from the draft and sign affordable FA's that fill holes. Would I love the guy? Hell yes!

LatrobePA
02-07-2011, 02:24 PM
We can't trade Woodley he'll be a FA.

Oh you're right...Trade Dixon, they need another QB right?? lol

NHStlrfan
02-07-2011, 02:29 PM
The Defense was not the trouble all season long nor were they in the SB. Get Arians out and let the Offense possess the ball longer and the defense is less in need of attention. The real case is this is a talented team with a dolt for an OC. Fix that and the rest will fall in place.

LatrobePA
02-07-2011, 02:30 PM
The Defense was not the trouble all season long nor were they in the SB. Get Arians out and let the Offense possess the ball longer and the defense is less in need of attention. The real case is this is a talented team with a dolt for an OC. Fix that and the rest will fall in place.

Pretty damn good idea, now make it happen MT!!

NHStlrfan
02-07-2011, 02:32 PM
Pretty damn good idea, now make it happen MT!!

I'm checking with a few guys to see if they can introduce BA to Jimmy Hoffa! :yellowthumb::banana::greenbounce2:

steelersbabex25
02-07-2011, 02:38 PM
The Steelers do not sign big guys, we all know that. They never have. BUT if the coaching staff is as good as we all expect them to be, they would realize that you can not have an effective passing defense with Madison and Gay and McFadden running wild in the secondary. Exceptions must be made.

LatrobePA
02-07-2011, 02:43 PM
I'm checking with a few guys to see if they can introduce BA to Jimmy Hoffa! :yellowthumb::banana::greenbounce2:

I'll bring the ready mix concrete!! lol

coldrolled
02-07-2011, 03:07 PM
The Steelers don't sign big time free agents guys. This is not happening. We build from the draft and sign affordable FA's that fill holes. Would I love the guy? Hell yes!

we have a mundy, butler, lewis, burnett, gay, madison..... how much more building can we take.......

its time to right this CB position with a FA and draft a safety #1.

OL #2 and #3

BlitzburghRockCity
02-07-2011, 05:13 PM
It really all depends on how much he is going to want and how much we are willing to give up. If you let Taylor go and bring in Asomugha then you don't really gain anything because you still have needs at the other cornerback spots. The possibility of getting both guys signed is remote to say the least.

It's a safe bet the team will go DB early in the draft this year, and probably bring back Ike. Asomugha is most likely a pipe dream.

mggibson
02-08-2011, 02:57 AM
The defense needs a shut down corner back, Asomugha, Nnamdi is a free agent this year, he only had 13 pass attempts completed on him this year, he would really be a boost to the secondary. He also seems to be a stand up young man.

Mr. Goosemahn
02-08-2011, 04:21 AM
The defense needs a shut down corner back, Asomugha, Nnamdi is a free agent this year, he only had 13 pass attempts completed on him this year, he would really be a boost to the secondary. He also seems to be a stand up young man.

Nothing would excite me more, believe me, but Asomugha will be the most sought after free agent this season, possibly in NFL history. An elite CB in his prime is very, very rare to find as a free agent, and there are 32 teams out there who are willing to spend the money needed to acquire him. It's going to become an auction and the highest bidder will take him.

Make no mistake, serious SB contenders will make a play for him, which is why I want to see us in there as well. I'd cringe in pain if the Patriots managed to land him.

Woodson_DownUnder
02-08-2011, 04:56 AM
Nothing would excite me more, believe me, but Asomugha will be the most sought after free agent this season, possibly in NFL history. An elite CB in his prime is very, very rare to find as a free agent, and there are 32 teams out there who are willing to spend the money needed to acquire him. It's going to become an auction and the highest bidder will take him.

Make no mistake, serious SB contenders will make a play for him, which is why I want to see us in there as well. I'd cringe in pain if the Patriots managed to land him.

He stated recently he'd love to stay a Raider.. whether Al Davis bothers to throw all he's got at Asomugha just to keep him happy, I think he'll stay.

I was bitterly disappointed with Willie Gay not taking his chances for not ONE but TWO PICK SIX opportunities!! He isn't gonna last in this league and neither will Burnett. :evilshake:

UKSTEELER
02-08-2011, 06:35 AM
I think we've been getting away with having the likes of Gay/BMac/Clark back there because the challenge from the other AFC North sides in the Wideout department is pretty shallow.

Cleveland have basically nothing, the Rats have old timer Mason, slow Boldin, slower Housh and speedy Stallworth (who they never bothered with), the bungals have chad, who's consistently shut down by Ike, and Old, but wise, troublemaker Owens, who has bad games when he's in a strop!

I see all these teams especially Cincy and Baltimore re-tooling with some speed this off season, so the play of the secondary is going to have to step up.

Even if we do spend that first round pick on a corner, we still desperately need Butler to pan out and take over at Corner, at least for the time being. Lewis looks a liability when ever he's on the field, and I really feel he's on borrowed time, to play corner you need to be smart, Lewis isn't.

I quite like Mundy, but as long as Dick is pulling the strings he's festering behind Clark, Clark had one good game all year!

Whatever happens, we need to see a re-deployment of Troy to a more active roll, get Ike re-signed, but everything else needs a long hard look!

cmerrifield
02-08-2011, 06:45 AM
There is no way we can afford NA and Ike this offseason, I did another post with the Steelers 2011 salary having maybe 20 million in cap room, NA just isnt possible and it doesnt do any good to sign NA and forget Ike, the other team will just keep throwing at McFadden and Gay. We need to ditch Lewis, and hope Butler lives up to all the potential we saw in pre-season.

Nolrog
02-08-2011, 06:51 AM

While I think that would be a great addition, he may cost so much that we'd lose Ike and Woodley in return. Is that a tradeoff you're willing to make?

mggibson
02-09-2011, 01:20 AM
Not trying to forget about Ike, but he's a professional and should welcome any kind of help they can get for that secondary, I just think the guys up front work their a---- off to get let down by some of those db's. (Where's Mel Blount when you need him)

jpele
02-09-2011, 07:42 AM
There's no way we go after Asomugha but Johnathan Joseph is a free agent I think we should take a look at.

SteelerDave74
02-09-2011, 08:53 AM
Joseph would be a nice addition to our secondary. NA is a big reach, I don't see it happening.

darnik44
02-09-2011, 09:18 AM
Nnamdi Asomugha will have a price tag that I highly doubt the Steelers would even consider. If they did they would have to say goodbye to several key free agents of their own, most notably Lamarr Woodley.

I think we Steelers fans need to rid our minds of the possibility of signing Asomugha. A more sensible free agent corner would be the Carolina Panthers Richard Marshall. Marshall will be 27 next season and really fits the Steelers mold. He's physical, great in run support and a sure tackler. He's not a "shut down" corner or a "ball-hawk," but still very good in coverage. Overall he's probably slightly better than Ike Taylor. Keep in mind, Ike if a FA also and needs to be resigned. The two could be a very solid tandem.

coldrolled
02-09-2011, 09:22 AM

We are not serious and the Pats have no cap.. maybe the jets will sign him they seem to have no limits on spending either... or the ravens to boot.

LatrobePA
02-09-2011, 09:22 AM
I want to say there is already 6-400 threads started about this already, why start another??

MDSteel15
02-09-2011, 12:16 PM
I want to say there is already 6-400 threads started about this already, why start another??

Nothing better to talk about :thinking:

pimplydan
02-09-2011, 04:08 PM
just re-sign Ike and draft a corner in the 1st round. Maybe trade up for that corner from miami or a mock draft has us taking jimmy smith a corner from colorado thats 6'2 200 lbs and is supposed to be good.

There you go , that's what i am saying . unless you can get Mike Pouncey , the two brothers would settle the Oline for the next 10 years .

We know Mike will be a probowler like his brother , Jimmy Smith you don't .

K Train
02-09-2011, 04:24 PM
jimmy smith is the truth....im telling you. id be ok with him or pouncey for sure....id be beyond happy if we could make moves for both

SteelDad
02-09-2011, 06:39 PM
The positive thing about our weaknesses at corner the last 10 years is that we've been able to be pretty damn successful in spite of that. All of you know that getting NA is nothing more than a dream, it's just not what we do. Will we upgrade the position? Damn well better. Will it be NA? Nope.

Three Four
02-09-2011, 07:18 PM
It's not the players, it's the schemes. It's the stop the run first philosophy. Until the Steelers change that, the secondary will always be weak.