PDA

View Full Version : Woodley or Polamalu?

Clevelandsux
02-07-2011, 09:17 AM
Which would you resign? I'm starting to think Woodley. Polamalu is injured way too much. And where was he all playoffs? I didn't even hear his name in the sb. I love Troy, but he's starting to become a liability. We need a guy that can stay healthy.

TEEMONT
02-07-2011, 10:09 AM
you re-sign them both...Troy isnt just a player he's the face of the D, but you have to keep Woodley too.

It's a moot point until we see the details on the hopefully worked out soon, new CBA.

BlitzburghRockCity
02-07-2011, 10:10 AM
Polamalu is not a free agent, he's not going anywhere. Woodley is a given to resign. Assuming we have a 2011 NFL season, the Steelers will franchise Wood if they have too to get more time ink him to a long term deal.

stow creek nj
02-07-2011, 10:14 AM
No question, resign both, end of discussion

Clevelandsux
02-07-2011, 10:17 AM
Well I'm not certain we can resign both.

Rampage
02-07-2011, 10:25 AM
Resign Woodley or Polamalu? If both of them were coming up, you resign them both. I can't say I've been impressed with Polamalu in the playoffs, but you have to recognize his impact in the regular season leading up to the Super Bowl. Woodley has been excellent for this team, we just have to hope he wants to stay, otherwise the year on the franchise tag might be about it.

bensshoes
02-07-2011, 10:30 AM
Which would you resign? I'm starting to think Woodley. Polamalu is injured way too much. And where was he all playoffs? I didn't even hear his name in the sb. I love Troy, but he's starting to become a liability. We need a guy that can stay healthy.

whom ever wants too come back at a reasonable price.

Clevelandsux
02-07-2011, 10:38 AM
Woodleys making the bare minimum. You know someone is going to throw a ton of money at him. I love Lamar. He's a great guy and a great player. Great for the Steelers organization.

Dee Mca
02-07-2011, 11:01 AM
I say keep them both. Yeah Troy's production might be down but consider this if we didnt have that crazy all over the place safety. Wouldn't the opposing offense be more likely to pick up woodley and harrison or one of the blitzing db's. Troy might not have the stats but he still commands alot of attention from the other team.

Scorp
02-07-2011, 11:05 AM
Got to keep both players. No brainer.

BlitzburghRockCity
02-07-2011, 11:17 AM
Troy's production did drop off in the playoffs, but imagine if he wasn't on the field at all. Things could have been much worse. Perhaps his injuries limited him more than we know, perhaps the gameplans just didn't allow him to make as many plays. Remember he was in coverage alot in the playoffs to help out the deficiencies at corner. Teams generally stayed away from him too.

LatrobePA
02-07-2011, 11:21 AM
Troy's production did drop off in the playoffs, but imagine if he wasn't on the field at all. Things could have been much worse. Perhaps his injuries limited him more than we know, perhaps the gameplans just didn't allow him to make as many plays. Remember he was in coverage alot in the playoffs to help out the deficiencies at corner. Teams generally stayed away from him too.

With all due respect, Troy was burnt for a wide open TD last night, and was out of position most of the night I can't imagine it could of been much worse. But that's just me.

SteelCityKid5
02-07-2011, 01:24 PM
Troys a FA?

DanRooney
02-07-2011, 01:26 PM
With all do respect to you, but Troy turned around our defense from 2009. I've never seen a secondary so bad in my life that year. We have the same players starting outside of McFadden, and you know he had nothing to do with the turn-around.

A Pac
02-07-2011, 01:29 PM
They will easily sign both. Steeler players don't leave unless the team doesn't want them anymore (Joey Porter). Where else can either of them play in a defense that good?

Rampage
02-07-2011, 01:37 PM
Troys a FA?

I think he is tied up through next season and then he is a free agent.

Goodfrom55
02-07-2011, 02:46 PM
Polamalu is not a free agent, he's not going anywhere. Woodley is a given to resign. Assuming we have a 2011 NFL season, the Steelers will franchise Wood if they have too to get more time ink him to a long term deal.

I thought Troy was locked up for at least another 3 years or so. I would sign Woody and Ike. If I couldn't do that, then I sign Woody and franchise Ike.

Glaring weaknesses exposed yesterday - the entire secondary sucked a$$, especially on 3rd down.

Looking ahead to draft, Secondary, OL, depth at LB.

steelersbabex25
02-07-2011, 02:50 PM
Wait, is this for real? Was the question just asked if we should consider not resigning Troy when the time comes? HAVE YOU SEEN OUR SECONDARY?

MDSteel15
02-07-2011, 03:14 PM
This is a stupi thread. Troy is under contract, it's Ike that is a free agant. Next question :popcorn:

parker39
02-08-2011, 06:00 PM

I think polamalu was still playing hurt,,, he just wanted to play in the super bowl at 10 % healthy... Woodley is fine how well he is depends on who hes up against James Harrison doesnt always get sacks either... Linebackers are fine,, SECONDARY major problem.... And as long as Ben is smart and uses his haed we might win a game,, he keeps throwing to wallace trying to complete balls with double coverage I dont think so...

--- Added 2/8/2011 at 05:00 PM ---

Yes it could of been worse ,,, Polamalu has been out of position ever since oct....The secondary is lousy larry curly and moe could do better

Goodfrom55
02-08-2011, 06:09 PM
It looked a lot like at times, Ben was trying to force feed Wallace the ball. Conversation for another thread, but I agree with your mention of this in your post.

My biggest question to Ben is WHERE WAS YOUR GLOVE?

Sign Woody, franchise Ike, send B-Mac and Gay packing.

MattyVfromCT
02-08-2011, 08:47 PM
It looked a lot like at times, Ben was trying to force feed Wallace the ball. Conversation for another thread, but I agree with your mention of this in your post.

My biggest question to Ben is WHERE WAS YOUR GLOVE?

Sign Woody, franchise Ike, send B-Mac and Gay packing.

I think it depends on the cba who should get the franchise tag, if there even is one when the new cba is implemented. I think you'd have to reverse the tag and franchise Woodley because of the 30% rule. Right now there is no cap and in an uncapped year you can't re-sign a player for more than a 30% increase of his current salary and Woodley is making nothing compared to what he is worth. Teams would be throwing big $ at him that the steelers under the 30% rule wouldn't be able to even come close to matching so id tag wood and give him his big deal next year and give Ike his right now. If anybody understands the cba situation better feel free to correct me

andyg1984
02-08-2011, 09:09 PM
sounds obvious, but if we do re-sign troy when the time comes i hope that it is done using '09 to '11 as the period of performance they focus on, because you have to almost assume he is going to be either hurt, amazing or having an "off-day" ..

i'd like to see a high-end BU SS in the draft tbh ..

pimplydan
02-08-2011, 11:22 PM
Keep both . You need to keep Woodley because you ain't going to have Harrison on the other side for much longer , maybe. Polamalu is a definite keeper. O.K. he wasn't at his best in the playoffs but you have to take in account he is back there trying to make up for the weaker players back there .

Just go get a good corner in the draft not hard to get better than Gay or Mcfadden .
I've been wanting a good corner for years.
We have selected so many poor db's in the draft it isn't funny . Maybe give Crezdon Butler a good try . He has the size and speed .
If we could just pick up a guy with good covage skills and good catching skills . Put him on the other corner , Ike , Polamalu and Clark and we will be lights out .

Scorp
02-09-2011, 08:13 PM
By Albert Breer NFL Network
NFL Network Reporter
www.nfl.com

Steelers outside linebacker LaMarr Woodley hasn't been informed formally yet, but he is "fully expecting" to be designated as the team's franchise player within the next two weeks, according to a source.

The hope, on both sides, is that it leads to a long-term deal for the rising 26-year-old pass-rusher, as it has for other Steelers tagged in recent years.

Pittsburgh tagged tackle Max Starks in 2009, and signed him to a four-year deal four months later. Last year, the team was ready to tag nose tackle Casey Hampton, but it instead signed him to a three-year deal just before the deadline to franchise players and tagged kicker Jeff Reed instead.

Woodley would receive the linebacker tag salary, which is expected to exceed $10 million, but could argue that he deserves a hybrid end/linebacker figure like the one Terrell Suggs received in 2009. The defensive end franchise number is expected to come at more than $13 million.

Woodley's 35 sacks since 2008 rank fourth in the NFL, and he's one of just five players (Dwight Freeney, James Harrison, Jared Allen, DeMarcus Ware) to post double-digit sacks in each of the last three years.

Because of the 30 percent rule, it's nearly impossible for Pittsburgh and Woodley to work out a long-term deal now, since he made just $550,000 in base salary in 2010, and that number can only go up by increments of $165,000 (30 percent of his final year on the old deal) in each year of a new deal.