PDA

View Full Version : Tomlin's clock management the last 2-3 minutes of the game...

Troyisabeast_43
02-07-2011, 01:15 AM
I was really annoyed at Tomlin for not using that final timeout with about 2:50 left after the completion to James Jones on 2nd down on the 5 yard line. You knew Rodgers was going to throw the ball on 3rd down in the end zone and it was either going to be incomplete or a TD to put the game out of reach. It turned out to be an incompletion which would have stopped the clock with about 240 left and given the Steelers much more time to score there at the end. As it turns out they ended up not even using that last timeout and going home with it. Had they had 2 mins plus left they could have settled down more and not been in panic mode like they were in that final 2 minutes. The Fox personal foul play for me was inexcusable and dumb. He has done that **** all year long at key points in the game and he should be released immediately...Costing his team 15 yards at that point in the game was absolutely devistating for the Steelers...

Scorp
02-07-2011, 01:19 AM
I don't know what was going on in his head but that is not like Tomlin at all. I don't know what else to say. I'm still confused at their loss. Maybe another beer and a burger will help.

BlitzburghRockCity
02-07-2011, 01:24 AM
I can only imagine his thinking was that he wanted to save his final timeout for when they got the ball back. Right or wrong that's my guess.

As far as clock management on the Steelers final offensive possession, I think that was a nightmare and doomed from the start. 4 attempts and you can't get a first down. They had their chances but the 2 minute offense was terrible.

steelersbabex25
02-07-2011, 01:26 AM
As far as clock management on the Steelers final offensive possession, I think that was a nightmare and doomed from the start. 4 attempts and you can't get a first down. They had their chances but the 2 minute offense was terrible.

Their sad attempt at a 2 min drive was absolutely dreadful. As soon as they started passing down the middle I was yelling stupid stupid stupid stupid. 1:50 left, 1 timeout, the length of the field to go and you throw 4 straight passes down the middle? Just didn't make sense to me. In that situation you go to the sideline every single time. Seemed like a no brainer.

Black@Gold Forever32
02-07-2011, 01:27 AM
Tomlin the entire team was just off tonight......I thought sending Suisham to kick that 52 yard field goal was a huge blunder....I knew he had no chance to make that kick and yes Tomlin should have called that timeout.......The Steelers blowing two time outs earlier in the second half were huge and killed the team in the end.....

DanRooney
02-07-2011, 01:42 AM
How about Tomlin' retarded 52 yard field goal...

NYCsteelersfan
02-07-2011, 02:03 AM
Releasing the team's really good #2 or even future #1 WRs every couple seasons just because they don't meet classy Rooney standards will always come back to hurt us. Every time he gets comfortable with a receiving corps they release someone for Rooney reasons and he and the receivers have to start from scratch as far as properly syncing up.

Seeing what Wallace can do along with Sanders, I predict a huge season for Roethlisberger in 2011 (barring a lockout/strike). Of course then they'll release Wallace in 2013 after ESPN reports that he purchased a membership to a xxx website.

DanRooney
02-07-2011, 02:13 AM
Releasing the team's really good #2 or even future #1 WRs every couple seasons just because they don't meet classy Rooney standards will always come back to hurt us. Every time he gets comfortable with a receiving corps they release someone for Rooney reasons and he and the receivers have to start from scratch as far as properly syncing up.

Seeing what Wallace can do along with Sanders, I predict a huge season for Roethlisberger in 2011 (barring a lockout/strike). Of course then they'll release Wallace in 2013 after ESPN reports that he purchased a membership to a xxx website.

Their offense is young, but our D is long-toothed. We need a corner desperately and an ILB to replace Farrior (who whiffed badly several times tonight). Oh and Woodley was unable to beat a rookie RT 1-on-1 (no he wasn't doubled AT ANY point of the game).

NYCsteelersfan
02-07-2011, 02:21 AM
Their offense is young, but our D is long-toothed. We need a corner desperately and an ILB to replace Farrior (who whiffed badly several times tonight). Oh and Woodley was unable to beat a rookie RT 1-on-1 (no he wasn't doubled AT ANY point of the game).

I agree with you about the defense. But at some point many members of the offense need to be long-toothed as well. We can't scrape the entire offense minus Roethlisberger and Ward every 2-3 seasons.

SteelCityKid5
02-07-2011, 04:45 AM
Losing Sanders hurt

pimplydan
02-07-2011, 05:43 AM
Going down 14 points and losing Saunders was fatal . Ben had his B game and that was not enough .

Green Bay played well all together . Rodgers was on his game , he played his A game .

His receivers even missed some catchable balls . What are you going to do ? Just like Cowher said to his young daughter when he lost the superbowl to Dallas after the game ; (you win some and you lose some )

That's about it .

steeldoc
02-07-2011, 08:37 AM
Calm down guys, the time out mattered little as they may of needed it later. The Fg attempt was my only questionable call, and it too mattered little. Fact is Their D made plays, our D didn't. Our qb played well enough to win, theirs played balls out and deserved the win. They just beat us, kinda like the punditd thought they would. We had match up problems all night. Good season.

SteelDad
02-07-2011, 09:44 AM
Some of the issues that plagued Tomlin this season occured in the game last night as well. Poor decision-making on the FG attempt (we saw this several times) and the 2-minute drill was an abortion of epic proportions.

Rampage
02-07-2011, 12:05 PM
Tomlin's clock management has always been suspect. He is a motivator and leader for this team, but he is not a tactician. He does a good job in getting the team to stay in games mentally, but I've had some problems with him getting them fired up before the games and using timeouts and challenges. The players have some areas to address this offseason, and so does the coaching staff.