PDA

View Full Version : The defense is not off the hook on this one

BlitzburghRockCity
02-06-2011, 10:48 PM
The Steeler defense gave up way too many ill timed big plays. Giving up a 70 yd drive and several 50+ yd drives. Yes they stepped up in the end forcing the FG and giving the offense a chance for a late rally, but they gave up a lot in the first 58 minutes.

You normally like our defense when they are behind the 8 ball and have to make a play. They couldn't come up with any turnovers, which is very uncharacteristic. On the one INT and the Mendy fumble, you figure they are going to atleast force a FG or maybe get off the field on at least one of them.

You can't place the blame on them squarely of course, but on a day like today you expect them to be able to make a play at some point.

TheButt
02-06-2011, 10:50 PM
Texted the same thing to my Buddy in Pittsburgh --- never thought the D would let us down like that.

WilliamfookingGay has got to go. Thinking about him makes me sick.

Black@Gold Forever32
02-06-2011, 10:55 PM
The entire team has blame in this from coaches to the players......But hey I'm not that upset......

SteelCityKid5
02-06-2011, 10:55 PM
This is the 1st time Ive experienced a loss

steelersbabex25
02-06-2011, 10:59 PM
Not at all. William Gay and McFadden were pretty much the only two that were picked on the entire game, and apparently there was reason for that. The front 7 didn't do anything, Troy was whiffing on tackles and missing should have been interceptions left and right. Just not a good game at all.

--- Added 2/6/2011 at 09:59 PM ---

This is the 1st time Ive experienced a loss

Me too. I was a few weeks from living through the loss of 1993.

jbloader
02-06-2011, 11:01 PM
I agree. Still, when the offense gives up 21 points, and they did. So what do you say? (rhetorical)

Mendy was due to give up a fumble. 324 touches/ 2 fumbles... damn good.

Ben, well Ben is a wildcard on and off the field. I, for one called for 2 interceptions this game, hoping that our defense could make up the difference. Tonight, UNLIKE MOST NIGHTS, they could not. The blame? Well, i'm not a BIG enough man to lay blame.

But I will say this. GB beat us at our own game. Big defense and protect the ball. Rodgers was not the all-pro they made him out to be. All he did was protect the ball. Mathews (a defensive player) won the game with his FF. Rodgers? All he did was all we asked Big Ben to do. Protect the ball.

Steelers = Defense. Defense = Score (for Pitt). Offense = Field Position.

Tonight, for the most part, our field position sucked.

Rashard, I am a HUGE fan. Pleae think franchise!!!!!

NYCsteelersfan
02-06-2011, 11:02 PM
The Steeler defense gave up way too many ill timed big plays. Giving up a 70 yd drive and several 50+ yd drives. Yes they stepped up in the end forcing the FG and giving the offense a chance for a late rally, but they gave up a lot in the first 58 minutes.

You normally like our defense when they are behind the 8 ball and have to make a play. They couldn't come up with any turnovers, which is very uncharacteristic. On the one INT and the Mendy fumble, you figure they are going to atleast force a FG or maybe get off the field on at least one of them.

You can't place the blame on them squarely of course, but on a day like today you expect them to be able to make a play at some point.

21 points off turnovers. Take away the turnovers and I don't think Greenbay would've scored more than 20 points at most, and that's a damn good offense. I don't blame the defense one bit. Nevertheless, the fact that William Gay gets paid never ceases to amaze me.

igor0190
02-06-2011, 11:03 PM
The NFL is such a pro passing league now. Our secondary does not have the DEPTH required to shut down teams like the Packers. DB should be a major focus point in the draft.

BR7
02-06-2011, 11:04 PM
The entire team has blame in this from coaches to the players......But hey I'm not that upset......

Ditto.. dunno why. I mean, I was absolutely livid in the SB XXX loss. This one, meh, not so much. Maybe it was my Killians?

RIVERS OF STEEL
02-06-2011, 11:05 PM
Troy P. has been missing in action the whole POs and the SB. He has something wrong for sure.

jbloader
02-06-2011, 11:06 PM
Troy P. has been missing in action the whole POs and the SB. He has something wrong for sure.

Yeah, dude. He's gotta be hurt.

Black@Gold Forever32
02-06-2011, 11:06 PM
I have experienced two Super Bowl losses now.....Super Bowl XXX still haunts me and this will to.....Both games despite all the turn over the Steelers still had chances to win both games......Hey you win some and lose some......The two wins in XL and XLIII will always be special.....I just hope Ben and this team gets back next year and redeems themselves......I still would want #7 over any other QB in the NFL.....

igor0190
02-06-2011, 11:09 PM
I have experienced two Super Bowl losses now.....Super Bowl XXX still haunts me and this will to.....Both games despite all the turn over the Steelers still had chances to win both games......Hey you win some and lose some......The two wins in XL and XLIII will always be special.....I just hope Ben and this team gets back next year and redeems themselves......I still would want #7 over any other QB in the NFL.....

I agree... but he did play like crap in this game. Mainly a few big mistakes.
I'll chalk the Mendenhall fumble up to Pouncey being out as Legursky was 5 yards in the backfield.

steelersbabex25
Ditto.. dunno why. I mean, I was absolutely livid in the SB XXX loss. This one, meh, not so much. Maybe it was my Killians?

We were talking about this on the solemn ride home. It's because deep deep inside of our hearts, we all like the Packers. The Cowboys, well, we all hate the Cowboys. The Packers are like the Steelers. A good, classy organization. If the Steelers were going to lose to a team in the Superbowl, I would probably like it to be the Packers more than anyone else. (Plus, as Steeler fans, we all subconciously root for the underdog)

jbloader
I just hope Ben and this team gets back next year and redeems themselves......I still would want #7 over any other QB in the NFL.....

I can't agree with this. How many good looks did he have in the last three or four games that he totally botched, and we are lucky that Wallce can still walk the way he was throwing the ball high to him today.

I am a little pissed at "I'm not pretty" Ben. His play today was horrible. He threw the ball today like he had something to do with this season. Let the defense win. That's who does it.

SteelerCountry58
02-06-2011, 11:11 PM
Yeah,a bum Achilles tendon that wasn't healed that hampered him no doubt.
He came up small and the secondary got burned with too many costly passes.
The D had a off game ball hawking wise but played decent to win if we didn't
kill ourselves with those turnovers.

steelersbabex25
02-06-2011, 11:11 PM
I can't agree with this. How many good looks did he have in the last three or four games that he totally botched, and we are lucky that Wallce can still walk the way he was throwing the ball high to him today.

I am a little pissed at "I'm not pretty" Ben. His play today was horrible. He threw the ball today like he had something to do with this season. Let the defense win. That's who does it.

You say this now. When next year he throws together an 89 yard drive with a banged up offensive line in 3 minutes to win the game, I can guarantee you'll be humming a different tune.

jbloader
02-06-2011, 11:13 PM
You say this now. When next year he throws together an 89 yard drive with a banged up offensive line in 3 minutes to win the game, I can guarantee you'll be humming a different tune.

I am just saying that every time he takes the field I get nervous. How many of you wanted to win the toss so we could DIFFER?
:thinking:
I would never question #7's toughness, but talent? Well, that is a different matter.

SteelDad
02-06-2011, 11:18 PM
Defense could have and should have been torched for a lot more than it was. Pack receivers dropped several balls. AR was the real deal when he needed to be. This game will go down as being decided by turnovers and the inability to 'create' turnovers. And a lot more that I'll rant on tomorrow.

steelersbabex25
02-06-2011, 11:18 PM
I am just saying that every time he takes the field I get nervous. How many of you wanted to win the toss so we could DIFFER?
:thinking:
I would never question #7's toughness, but talent? Well, that is a different matter.

I always want to defer just because I like to give the offense the ball to start the second half. I think it always turns out better that way. Defensive teams like to defer because they like the defense to start out setting the tone. That's why I wanted to defer. Didn't really have much to do with Ben.

jbloader
02-06-2011, 11:23 PM
Cool, and thanks for not calling me out on "differing" with you on the defer thing. I like Ben but am really upset at how many peeps are blaming TP and the defense.

I think the D came out flat but dang! Just protect the ball. I have been saying for the past three weeks, the first defense to score will be the team that wins...and BEn gives it to them twice.

Mendy, man, I got no complaints. That guy is gonna be a HOF, but Ben was our anchor and should have known.

PROTECT THE BALL.

steelersbabex25
02-06-2011, 11:25 PM
Cool, and thanks for not calling me out on "differing" with you on the defer thing. I like Ben but am really upset at how many peeps are blaming TP and the defense.

I think the D came out flat but dang! Just protect the ball. I have been saying for the past three weeks, the first defense to score will be the team that wins...and BEn gives it to them twice.

Mendy, man, I got no complaints. That guy is gonna be a HOF, but Ben was our anchor and should have known.

PROTECT THE BALL.

No, I agree Ben played a terrible game. If you read my other posts you'll see that. The entire team just played horrible. Plain and simple.

jbloader
02-06-2011, 11:25 PM
BTW, that 52 yard field goal from a guy you wouldn't let kick a 35'er didn't help either. Punt and see what the D can do...

Offense gets the chicks. Defense wins the game.

Black@Gold Forever32
02-06-2011, 11:36 PM

You're entitled to your opinion and I don't want to argue with you but you take the good with the bad with Ben.....To me he hadn't looked like the same Ben this entire post-season.....Dude has taken a ton of punishment and yea they head weeks to rest but that abuse takes a toll eventually.....I'm not blaming the OL at all since the injuries made them a make shift OL.....But I think this season has prove this team must continue to add elite talent along the OL....Maurkice Pouncey is a nice start but lets a couple more pieces to the OL and keep Ben 100 percent healthy for the most part going forward.....

jbloader
02-06-2011, 11:40 PM
Yeah, I was just thinking how I was really down on Ben but trying to pump up Troy. I am just a defense kind of guy. Ben has taken a lot of abuse and I was really down on Bears fans for talking smack about Cutler. He took a lot of abuse this season too.

So, all said I shouldn't really be dogging Ben. I was just hoping that he would be the anchor, and it seemed like we were adrift out there today.

NYCsteelersfan
02-06-2011, 11:43 PM

Yeah, dude. He's gotta be hurt.

He has a serious case of "I thought there was supposed to be more than one DB on defense".

BTW, that 52 yard field goal from a guy you wouldn't let kick a 35'er didn't help either. Punt and see what the D can do...

Offense gets the chicks. Defense wins the game.

I couldn't believe they lined up for it. It was the only call all game I disagreed with. Of course I would've liked to have seen a lot more passing against Greenbay's sloppy secondary.

jbloader
02-06-2011, 11:52 PM
He has a serious case of "I thought there was supposed to be more than one DB on defense".

There were more than a few times it looked like he was "hung out to dry," but I really think it was more along the lines of protecting him. He is a threat just being on the field and if you can get him there then good. Still, I don't think he was capable of hitting or going full speed. That last GB touchdwon he just did not get there. He did not plant and cut well, and he did not recover well. I just don't think he is "well" yet.

I couldn't believe they lined up for it. It was the only call all game I disagreed with. Of course I would've liked to have seen a lot more passing against Greenbay's sloppy secondary.

Totally uncalled for IMO. Put them on the 5 and see how composed Rodgers is then. He really had no pressure all night. Now, had that first kick-off recover went our way...

BTW, GB played one heck of a game. So, before I become the "what if" guy on herre. Congrats GB. (murmur. murmur, the refs sucked it up and cheated, murmur, murmur)

--- Added 2/6/2011 at 10:52 PM ---

Sorry, this was supposed to be in between your posts:

There were more than a few times it looked like he was "hung out to dry," but I really think it was more along the lines of protecting him. He is a threat just being on the field and if you can get him there then good. Still, I don't think he was capable of hitting or going full speed. That last GB touchdwon he just did not get there. He did not plant and cut well, and he did not recover well. I just don't think he is "well" yet.

SteelerDave74

Absolutely my feelings also. I didn't feel upset or numb. William Gay has got to go, my goodness. Another thing I didn't quite comprehend, we was very successful in the 2 minute no huddle, why the hell didn't Arians go for that more often in this game??? Sigh. I swear I still have a big dislike for that guy.

A Pac
The defense do need some of the blame, but Rodgers was making some of the best passes I have ever seen. Even the ones that weren't caught were amazing. He came into this game ready to play.

Scorp
02-06-2011, 11:56 PM
Well, whatever the real reason is, we'll never know. I guess the packers are for real. But the Steelers are still the only franchise that matters.

Black@Gold Forever32
02-06-2011, 11:57 PM
Yeah, I was just thinking how I was really down on Ben but trying to pump up Troy. I am just a defense kind of guy. Ben has taken a lot of abuse and I was really down on Bears fans for talking smack about Cutler. He took a lot of abuse this season too.

So, all said I shouldn't really be dogging Ben. I was just hoping that he would be the anchor, and it seemed like we were adrift out there today.

Its all good man....Hey I'm not going to dog you for being critical on Ben......He didn't play his best but I just think this whole thing from all the off the field crap and the injuries toke a toll on him mentally/physically finally....He just didn't seem like Ben this entire post-season......Even in the Ravens/Jets even though he made throws to seal the win late in those games....Ben didn't seem to have the so called "it" ........

Scorp
02-07-2011, 12:10 AM
Were we really due for a loss? Or did we really lose to a better team? Did we beat ourselves? Steelers better bounce back in a freakin major way next season.

steelersbabex25
02-07-2011, 12:12 AM
Were we really due for a loss? Or did we really lose to a better team? Did we beat ourselves? Steelers better bounce back in a freakin major way next season.

The first one. I posted before that I always feel that their luck just has to run out eventually. Like you can only win so much before you lose one.

Scorp
02-07-2011, 12:16 AM
The first one. I posted before that I always feel that their luck just has to run out eventually. Like you can only win so much before you lose one.

We got to get one more before we go through another major drought. I know the Steelers are better than what we saw. They didn't play at their highest level and it really sucks. Whta the hell held them back? :thinking:

steelerschick1220
02-07-2011, 12:24 AM
compared to how they played the 2nd half of the ravens game and the 1st half of the jets the d was not up to par tonight. no big plays and no turnovers. and troy definetly was not a hundred percent during the playoffs. and as for ben he didn't have the best game but with all he's gone through in the last year I'm proud of him and glad he's our guy. I still believe number seven will lead us to number seven!

BlitzburghRockCity
02-07-2011, 12:26 AM

Right with ya man; right now I don't know why but I'm not screaming and yelling and throwing remotes against the wall. Perhaps it'll hit me tomorrow morning or perhaps I'm just dealing with losses differently now. Honestly I don't know which it is but this one will haunt us for a long time. Eating away at you because you knew the game was there, if you just have 1 less turnover we are holding up #7.

jnes1216
02-07-2011, 12:30 AM
well i thought the packers kicked the steelersasss . done. did you see any different?

--- Added 2/6/2011 at 11:30 PM ---

steelers might as swell gave in at the cointoss . they looked lifeless. defense looked like they mught just cash it in. polamalu is a joke. and a fluke for dpoyl.

Rampage
02-07-2011, 10:39 AM
well i thought the packers kicked the steelersasss . done. did you see any different?

--- Added 2/6/2011 at 11:30 PM ---

steelers might as swell gave in at the cointoss . they looked lifeless. defense looked like they mught just cash it in. polamalu is a joke. and a fluke for dpoyl.

Take a chill pill brohemian rhapsody. The Steelers came out flat and it looked like Roethlisberger was under the impression that he had to win the game on every pass and forced the ball. Polamalu did nothing, but did you see what they had him doing for the most part? William Gay, Bryant McFadden, and Anthony Madison were being vivisected by Rodgers and they kept Polamalu back to support them a little bit. It obviously did not work very well, but I wouldn't go as far as to call Polamalu a joke. Maybe if the other corners on this team were more like Ike, it would have gone down differently.

coldrolled
02-07-2011, 10:50 AM
Take a chill pill brohemian rhapsody. The Steelers came out flat and it looked like Roethlisberger was under the impression that he had to win the game on every pass and forced the ball. Polamalu did nothing, but did you see what they had him doing for the most part? William Gay, Bryant McFadden, and Anthony Madison were being vivisected by Rodgers and they kept Polamalu back to support them a little bit. It obviously did not work very well, but I wouldn't go as far as to call Polamalu a joke. Maybe if the other corners on this team were more like Ike, it would have gone down differently.

They had a game plan... attack 20 and 22...

We had a game plan... Screen passes to an unblocked WR... Does BA watch any film?
Does he really find the other teams weakness? Nope....

Game over...

Scorp
02-07-2011, 10:51 AM
We're 7 time Super Bowl Champions!!!!!!!!!! Please tell me i'm not dreaming.

Rampage
02-07-2011, 11:19 AM
They had a game plan... attack 20 and 22...

We had a game plan... Screen passes to an unblocked WR... Does BA watch any film?
Does he really find the other teams weakness? Nope....

Game over...

Honestly, I think Bruce Arians just prints out the playbook from Madden.

Seriously, though. They lose their starting corner and starting OLB and the team doesn't seem to target either of those areas. I am going to have a bald spot from scratching my head, but who knows? Maybe Arians made the right calls and it was just terrible execution.

Scorp
02-07-2011, 11:43 AM
I could make a great playbook while i take a **** and drink a beer while taking a ****.

coldrolled
02-07-2011, 11:51 AM

Seriously, though. They lose their starting corner and starting OLB and the team doesn't seem to target either of those areas. I am going to have a bald spot from scratching my head, but who knows? Maybe Arians made the right calls and it was just terrible execution.

funny... but he is the coach that teaches the execution..... on top of calling the madden game... :cursin: from your other post.. i have my steelers ball cap on right now...

:cope:

Rampage
02-07-2011, 11:54 AM
EXCLUSIVE VIDEO OF A BRUCE ARIANS GAMEPLANNING SESSION:

56Ue0SOTwpA

NHStlrfan
02-07-2011, 12:29 PM
I am not now nor have I ever been a BA fan. This mess was just one more item in the long case against this man being given a chance to coach again.

I ask, why have NO other teams approached him about a coaching position? They all see the same thing. He's clueless! This was an unprepared offense with no plan. Just look at their final possession. Clueless. But for the defense playing as well as they have this team would be 500 at best. Arians must go!

SteelerDave74
02-07-2011, 12:31 PM

56Ue0SOTwpA

I think that was exactly what was going on in that locker room. :hilarious:

SteelDad
02-07-2011, 12:36 PM

No way Rampage! If he got it from Madden there would actually be creativity and true game-planning!!

steelersbabex25
02-07-2011, 03:08 PM

56Ue0SOTwpA

"He thinks about faking..he PRETENDS to fake" :hilarious: classic

Black@Gold Forever32
02-07-2011, 03:12 PM
Say what you want though.......Offense still put up 25 points and yes they were responsible for at least 7.......Packers scored 14 points off the other turn overs but would have been nice for the D to respond and stop the Pack from scoring off just one of those turn overs.....

BA didn't throw the INT's and was responsible for Ben being hit on the first INT.......I question throwing the ball in that spot though....A run to Mendenhall seemed to make more sense there......

BA wasn't responsible for the fumble either.....

BA will never be Bill Walsh when it comes to offense but he wasn't the problem last night....

NYCsteelersfan
02-07-2011, 03:53 PM
Say what you want though.......Offense still put up 25 points and yes they were responsible for at least 7.......Packers scored 14 points off the other turn overs but would have been nice for the D to respond and stop the Pack from scoring off just one of those turn overs.....

BA didn't throw the INT's and was responsible for Ben being hit on the first INT.......I question throwing the ball in that spot though....A run to Mendenhall seemed to make more sense there......

BA will never be Bill Walsh when it comes to offense but he wasn't the problem last night....

I feel opposing team's defenses seem to know what is coming from our offense most of the time. I think many of our successful pass plays are actually broken plays extended by Roethlisberger's ability to elude the blitz/pressure. I rarely see big plays that seem to be by design. It's usually Roethlisberger rolling out to the left or right and finding and open receiver after 5 seconds or so.

steelersbabex25
02-07-2011, 03:54 PM
I feel opposing team's defenses seem to know what is coming from our offense most of the time.

What's there to know? Bubble screen and deep ball. Bam. Prepared.

Rampage
02-07-2011, 04:04 PM
Bubble screen, run into the line, deep ball, rinse and repeat.

SteelDad
02-07-2011, 04:55 PM

Everyone of us comes from different backgrounds when it comes to learning the game of football and especially when it comes to learning offense and then calling an offense. My problem with BA from last night's game centers on a couple of things.
1. When you keep going back to the same thing over and over it means you either are killing the opponent with it or you have no other options. Why else was he constantly going to the wide receiver screen? We weren't killing them with it so I tend to believe BA was out of options.
2. Your RB is gashing them pretty darn well and you get away from because you're down 14. It wasn't the 4th quarter, it was the first. For Mendy to only get 14 carries the way he was running was almost criminal.
3. No slants, no screens and no flat-routes to Mendy who has shown the ability to great things out of the backfield. Wallace was definitely being shadowed by a safety, but that leaves Ward, ARE, or Brown on the backside and he never went to it.
4. Finally, (before I go too long here:lol:) what happened to the pistol formation? What happened to the truck formation with Johnson on one side and Heath on the other with Mendy at TB? Those were things that worked at times and why would you go away from them?

I believe that there are times when you need to shake the comfortable feelings off guys and bring an edge back. Firing BA might do that with Ben.

andyg1984
02-07-2011, 06:18 PM
the D could have been better at times, but ben and crew have a much more "offensive" list of sins ...

six point game and the offense gives up a TD .. the arithmetic is simplistically unbiased and true

coldrolled
02-07-2011, 06:30 PM
Bubble screen, run into the line, deep ball, rinse and repeat.

Redman ran twice the whole game for 19 yards.... once for 2 and once for 17

we wouldnt want to do repeat that more.

every analyst said mendenhall and the running game was our ticket to success.
so we of course did the opposite.

the bubble screen didnt work out well all year. so lets do it even more in front of 111 million tv viewers.....

Troyisabeast_43
02-07-2011, 06:40 PM
The defense at no point in this game didnot make one single play to change or affect the outcome of this game. Even after all the turnovers by the Steelers offense the Packers still had to go 50 plus yards on both turnovers near midfield and the Steelers defense failed to step up and deliver any big plays at all. Jordy Nelson completely exploited this Steelers defense and was an absolute matchup nightmare for Gay and the Steelers secondary...

--- Added 2/7/2011 at 05:40 PM ---

Redman ran twice the whole game for 19 yards.... once for 2 and once for 17

we wouldnt want to do repeat that more.

every analyst said mendenhall and the running game was our ticket to success.
so we of course did the opposite.

the bubble screen didnt work out well all year. so lets do it even more in front of 111 million tv viewers.....

Im with you BA got too pass happy at times in this game especially when the Steelers began to run the ball with a lot of success. I think back to the first quarter on the Steelers 2nd possession after Mendy ran for 15 and 9 yards I believe and then Johnson had the fall start penalty. They made it 3rd and 2 after that and what does Arians do he tries to throw to Miller down the field instead of just pounding Redman or Mendy for 2 hard yards which they were able to do all game. This happened as well before the Suisham FG miss. The Steelers were running the ball well, and then Ben tried to take a deep shot to Wallace who was wide open and completely over threw him. That was a key play in the game that nobody is really talking about. Wallace had his man beat and if Ben throws the ball there where he should have it's an easy TD...Ben was just out of sync and didnot have his A game from the start. It took him way too long to find his groove in this game...

coldrolled
02-07-2011, 06:44 PM
nfl.com says that this SB broke a record of fewest running attempts in a game.

Go Bruce.. you broke the record..

GB knew to pass on us. they did...

BA knew to run on them but he also knew they were thinking he would run.. so he would pass more...

steelersbabex25
02-07-2011, 06:47 PM
nfl.com says that this SB broke a record of fewest running attempts in a game.

Go Bruce.. you broke the record..

GB knew to pass on us. they did...

BA knew to run on them but he also knew they were thinking he would run.. so he would pass more...

Everyone was trying to break records yesterday. Bruce was trying to run the least, Ben was trying to get a worse passer rating than he did in XL, Fox was going for his 150 personal foul on the season. Good for them. Record breakers.

Goodfrom55
02-07-2011, 06:56 PM
Front 7 is the best in football - no arguments. Secondary is at best, average and that's with Ike and Troy. Clark is slow, Gay can't cover anyone, and McFadden is a liability.

All that aside, if you can't get off the field on 3rd down, you will not win many games.

Troyisabeast_43
02-07-2011, 07:12 PM
Front 7 is the best in football - no arguments. Secondary is at best, average and that's with Ike and Troy. Clark is slow, Gay can't cover anyone, and McFadden is a liability.

All that aside, if you can't get off the field on 3rd down, you will not win many games.

And the Steelers failed to do so way too many times there in the 4th quarter. After the Mendenhall fumble the Steelers had the Packers 3rd and 9 and Jones makes the catch right on the turf, and then right after that Nelson picks up a 3rd and 5 and takes it down to the 3 yard line which lead to the Jennings TD that made it 28-17. Then, after the Steelers came back and made it 28-25 the Steelers D had Rodgers at 3rd and 10 which is suppose to be their bread and butter and they let him complete a 37 yard pass to Jennings passed midfield which just burned the clock out until the 2 minute warning. The Steelers terrible usage of timeouts in the 3rd quarter really came back to bite them in this game. I was screaming this in the 3rd quarter when they did it that they would need those timeouts at the end of the game and that it would **** them over big time at the end of the game on the last possession which it most certainly did...

hit 'n run
02-07-2011, 09:18 PM
I know the Steelers are better than what we saw. They didn't play at their highest level and it really sucks. Whta the hell held them back? :thinking:

I think it's the third one, from your previous post: "...Did we beat ourselves?" The answer: yes.

I said this in "The Blame Game" forum this morning -> They gave this game away...which begs the question "Why?"

What did hold them back?

One reason probably has to do with the week-long hoopla'd escalation of favor for the Packers... Someone posted on this site today that the Packers "wanted it more."
Say what?! And our Steelers DIDN'T want # 7 in 2011??

The erosion of confidence factors in here somewhere...

Clevelandsux
02-07-2011, 09:21 PM
Our defense made no plays. Forced no turnovers. Why we lost. Wheres was Troy? Where was Harrison?

NYCsteelersfan
02-07-2011, 09:43 PM
Our defense made no plays. Forced no turnovers. Why we lost. Wheres was Troy? Where was Harrison?

Contrary to popular belief and previous accounts by Steelers fans, Troy Polamalu cannot play the entire defensive secondary by himself.

Harrison had a sack.

Woodson_DownUnder
02-08-2011, 05:53 AM

I'm feeling your PAIN now and 2-2 record in SB's. Cherish the XL & XLIII even more now.
Redemption in 2012 is something that can ERASE the awful heartache we have. :yesnod:

I agree wholeheartedly with the OP statements even though the Steelers D restricted the Pack to be below 50% on 3rd Downs.

DB's that can cover man on man are not dime o' dozen as many people care to think.

Nolrog
02-08-2011, 06:54 AM
I was disappointed that none of the big play guys really showed up.

I don't think I heard Ziggy Hood's name once during the game. Harrison had 1 sack and not much more. Did Woodley and Troy even play?

On the offensive side, I thought Wallace had a bad game. Twice throws two him I thought he didn't make an effort to adjust to the ball. One was the INT, and the other was the ball over his head. Not saying they were good throws, but he seemed to be unaware of his surroundings and where the ball was going.

SteelDad
02-08-2011, 07:40 AM
Contrary to popular belief and previous accounts by Steelers fans, Troy Polamalu cannot play the entire defensive secondary by himself.

Harrison had a sack.

Harrison indeed had a sack that he made with his hustle. This is one play unfortunately out of 70 or so. Where was he the rest of the game?... No one expects TP to cover every single receiver, but his play during his career has us expecting him to be much more of a factor than he was in the playoffs this year. His average play had to be due to the achilles' injury because he is just not invisible like that.

coldrolled
02-08-2011, 08:54 AM
Maybe our defense is tired of watching an offense play like crap...... putting you down 14 instead of up 14..

They hardly ever get to defend a 14 point lead... the jets yes.. the ravens never.... maybe thats the same reason why the sports media says ben is not elite.. ben needs to fire his pal arians... this team nevers attacks the weaknesses. there is no offensive strategy or adjustments... if a play is working we do it once, if it is not working we repeat them often... one more time, moore not redman up the middle into raji, ngata.. etc... its frustrating to watch...

SteelDad
02-08-2011, 10:33 AM
Maybe our defense is tired of watching an offense play like crap...... putting you down 14 instead of up 14..

They hardly ever get to defend a 14 point lead... the jets yes.. the ravens never.... maybe thats the same reason why the sports media says ben is not elite.. ben needs to fire his pal arians... this team nevers attacks the weaknesses. there is no offensive strategy or adjustments... if a play is working we do it once, if it is not working we repeat them often... one more time, moore not redman up the middle into raji, ngata.. etc... its frustrating to watch...

cold, I'm not sure, but I think you want to see Arians fired. Was just wondering...:lol:

LatrobePA
02-08-2011, 11:16 AM
Troy said this was his worse performance in any game of his life, or something close to that.

I agree Troy, your *** was handed to you...

Ben had a Joe Flacco kinda day so he's nowhere near off the hook either!

Rampage
02-08-2011, 11:26 AM
Troy said this was his worse performance in any game of his life, or something close to that.

I agree Troy, your *** was handed to you...

Ben had a Joe Flacco kinda day so he's nowhere near off the hook either!

Yeah, Troy hasn't played a solid playoff game since this team beat Baltimore going into Super Bowl 43. Maybe they should keep him out of the first four games of the season so he doesn't get dinged up for the playoffs.

:thinking::lol:

NYCsteelersfan
02-28-2011, 02:23 AM
Harrison indeed had a sack that he made with his hustle. This is one play unfortunately out of 70 or so. Where was he the rest of the game?... No one expects TP to cover every single receiver, but his play during his career has us expecting him to be much more of a factor than he was in the playoffs this year. His average play had to be due to the achilles' injury because he is just not invisible like that.

Always giving 300% shouldn't mean you get criticized when you have an off day and are only able to give 150%

:yellowthumb:

DanRooney
02-28-2011, 02:42 AM
Woodley was absolutely horrid in the Super Bowl.

Some interesting facts:
- James Starks had 2 fairly long runs, of 12 and 14 yards. Both came directly at Big LaMarr Woodley, who is incredibly poor at setting the edge the way it should be set as an OLB in the NFL.

Woodley: Rushed 33 times, coverage 9 times

Harrison: Rushed 22 times, coverage 18 times, and 2 quick pass plays where it was nearly impossible to discern his task.

Harrison would finish the game with 1 solo. Yes, just 1 solo. The most menacing, most persistent front-7 defender on the team, and Dick LeBeau managed to turn the guy into a spectator.

Deviouz1
02-28-2011, 03:04 AM
Harrison would finish the game with 1 solo. Yes, just 1 solo. The most menacing, most persistent front-7 defender on the team, and Dick LeBeau managed to turn the guy into a spectator.

i think id have to say thats a bit harsh. his back was pretty messed up wasnt it? thus the surgery?

i guess im having trouble with pointing he finger at any ONE aspect of how we lost that game. there are SO many things where if even ONE of them went differently we could and likely WOULD have won that game. 1 interception, 1 fumble, an overthrow, or even 1 dropped pass to mention a few. any of those things change and no one would be questioning Lebeau's play calling. it helped keep us in the game until the final 2 minutes where the offense sputtered out.

if ben doesnt pull wallace to the side, after the huddle on that last play, maybe he doesnt pull double coverage and actually manages to hold onto the ball. HUGE momentum swing, Big Ben in the final minute with the ball and a timeout near mid field. that game was very winnable and no one thing "ruined" it.

GB didnt win it, we lost it, and you can point your fingers at just about every aspect of the game.

steelersbabex25
02-28-2011, 07:03 AM
And here I thought we were done talking about the superbowl.

SteelDad
02-28-2011, 08:02 AM

No kidding! Barely Monday at 8am and I'm already puking in my mouth.

steelersbabex25
02-28-2011, 02:57 PM
No kidding! Barely Monday at 8am and I'm already puking in my mouth.

:question-1:...:shots:

Nope, just more superbowl talk. :sleepy: So over it.

hit 'n run
02-28-2011, 07:32 PM
--- Added 2/6/2011 at 09:59 PM ---

Me too. I was a few weeks from living through the loss of 1993.

Which game loss in 1993 are you referring to?

hit 'n run
03-01-2011, 10:11 AM

This is, after all, the site for Steeler ADDICTS.

steelersbabex25
03-01-2011, 04:40 PM
This is, after all, the site for Steeler ADDICTS.

Right..your point is?

hit 'n run
03-01-2011, 06:56 PM
Right..your point is?

The point of my post is obvious. Note the word "ADDICTS" is in upper case letters.

At your request, I'll elaborate:

The definition of an "addict" is one who is obsessed with, dedicated to, fanatical about, hooked on, dependent on, passionate about, devoted to, fanatical about, and a slave to the object of his/her desire/interest.

This website, www.steeleraddicts.com, is the appropriate venue to gratify, accommodate, and yield to - that addiction. With-OUT condescending disapproval and reprimands from others.

Not all ADDICTS "move on", or necessarily want to "move on" in a matter concerning the object of their addiction.

Hope this clarifies my "point" for you.
P.S.
If they want condescending disapproval, Steeler Addicts can get it from Cowboys' fans. Or even Browns' fans. [See forum "Aftermath of Super Bowl]

steelersbabex25
03-01-2011, 07:10 PM
The point of my post is obvious. Note the word "ADDICTS" is in upper case letters.

At your request, I'll elaborate:

The definition of an "addict" is one who is obsessed with, dedicated to, fanatical about, hooked on, dependent on, passionate about, devoted to, fanatical about, and a slave to the object of his/her desire/interest.

This website, www.steeleraddicts.com, is the appropriate venue to gratify, accommodate, and yield to - that addiction. With-OUT condescending disapproval and reprimands from others.

Not all ADDICTS "move on", or necessarily want to "move on" in a matter concerning the object of their addiction.

Hope this clarifies my "point" for you.
P.S.
If they want condescending disapproval, Steeler Addicts can get it from Cowboys' fans. Or even Browns' fans. [See forum "Aftermath of Super Bowl]

LOL don't come here and call me out for not being "devoted" to the Steelers or for being condescending for that matter. I've been on this site for 2 years. You just got here.

hit 'n run
03-01-2011, 07:16 PM
LOL don't come here and call me out for not being "devoted" to the Steelers or for being condescending for that matter. I've been on this site for 2 years. You just got here.

Steeler Addicts, nevertheless, do not need permission and/or approval from you to not "move on" if they don't want to.

steelersbabex25
03-01-2011, 07:24 PM
Steeler Addicts, nevertheless, do not need permission and/or approval from you to not "move on" if they don't want to.

Never said they did.

hit 'n run
03-02-2011, 12:28 PM
Never said they did.

At your request, steelerbabex25, I took time to provide, in fact spoon-feed, an explanation of what you fail to understand.

I will not engage with you about this again, except to suggest that you hire a tutor.

All the best.

P.S.
GO STEELERS

steelersbabex25
03-02-2011, 05:13 PM
At your request, steelerbabex25, I took time to provide, in fact spoon-feed, an explanation of what you fail to understand.

I will not engage with you about this again, except to suggest that you hire a tutor.

All the best.

P.S.
GO STEELERS

LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLO LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLO LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL.

Sassy people amuse the **** out of me.