PDA

View Full Version : William Gay & the Secondary

TheButt
02-06-2011, 11:41 PM
Can we now find a replacement for William Gay. Just please get rid of him.

franchise3
02-06-2011, 11:42 PM
We said the same thing last year going into the draft and we are saying it again. Please draft CB in the first round.

BlitzburghRockCity
02-06-2011, 11:49 PM
The secondary today was unable to step up. That big 3rd down play late in the game was on Ike Taylor. Clark and Bmac were out of position or playing way too far off on too many occasions. Gay was picked on today as was McFadden. Gay had a decent year really, he improved as the year went on and he was key in our playoff wins.

Today though the entire secondary is to blame, not just Gay.

Callax
02-06-2011, 11:50 PM
We said the same thing last year going into the draft and we are saying it again. Please draft CB in the first round.

We need OL help

CB playmaker PRIORITY!!!!

DL depth!!!!

NYCsteelersfan
02-07-2011, 12:05 AM
Can we now find a replacement for William Gay. Just please get rid of him.

It's an absolute joke that he receives a paycheck and I find it impossible to believe that he is the best they can come up with. He is always 1-2 yards away from the receiver he is supposed to be covering. Might as well just blitz him every single time because the only way his receiver isn't catching the ball is if the quarterback doesn't throw it to him.

steeldoc
02-07-2011, 12:09 AM
Give the Packers credit. Rogers was spot on today. They deserved the win. The Steelers played flat at the beginning and at the end. The Packers wanted it more today.

steelersbabex25
02-07-2011, 12:12 AM
While we're going down this road, can we throw McFadden in there as well?

Phenomenal TJ
02-07-2011, 12:12 AM
The entire secondary was crap tonight. But, William Gay has been crap all year long.

dreeves321
02-07-2011, 12:24 AM
Gay let us down huge tonight... but nobody in our entire secondary played well. We do however need to draft someone in the first or second, he got burned 4 or 5 times tonight and it costs us, we will be back though. Go Steelers!!!

Scorp
02-07-2011, 12:25 AM
I couldn't believe how they let some of the recievers get open the way they did. Unacceptable. But, the game is over so whatever i say won't change a thing. Great effort by the Steelers. Just not enough. Thanks for a great season.

NYCsteelersfan
02-07-2011, 12:40 AM
Give the Packers credit. Rogers was spot on today. They deserved the win. The Steelers played flat at the beginning and at the end. The Packers wanted it more today.

I'm sorry I completely disagree. I think the sloppier team lost the game; the better team didn't win it.

BlitzburghRockCity
02-07-2011, 12:50 AM
The better team overall did not win today, the Steelers are not inferior to the Packers at all, ever, period. However credit them for taking advantage of the gifts we gave them and turning them into points.

SteelerDave74
02-07-2011, 01:13 AM
The better team overall did not win today, the Steelers are not inferior to the Packers at all, ever, period. However credit them for taking advantage of the gifts we gave them and turning them into points.

Exactly! I tell you, William Gay was just pathetic as hell. He needs to be canned, yes, I agree McFadden is a joke also. I know Troy had an off night. Something got to give here, WE NEED SERIOUS HELP in the secondary.

Phenomenal TJ
02-07-2011, 01:36 AM
The Packers were the better team tonight. It doesn't matter who the better overall team is, all that matters is who is the better overall team (in general, all phases of the game, taking advantage of turnovers, overcoming screw ups, etc.) for one game.

The Packers took advantage of what the Steelers gave them, they had to overcome some big drops, but they did.

We (Steelers fans) get pissed when people tell us we didn't deserve (Insert Super Bowl here) because we KNOW we did. If we didn't deserve it, we wouldn't have won it. Who are we to take this away from the Packers? They played a hell of a game, there's no denying that.

scott0326
02-07-2011, 02:27 AM
Nobody on the secondary played really well today, but the whole secondary is garbage besides Polamalu and Ike..

DIESELMAN
02-07-2011, 06:12 AM
Credit GB for picking on one of our secondaries weak links and exploiting it all nite. At least they recognized match ups in their favor, not like BA and Ben could've done the same thing when GB's secondary got hurt. Not trying to sound like a broken record here but BA is a ****ing idiot!! Someone please explain to me how we run for a 5.5 avg on 126 yards but we only run the ball 23 times? I always thought one of the games philosophies is, if whatever you are doing on offense, especially running the ball, is successful, you keep doing it until the D stops it. Perfect example, the 5 play 50 yard TD drive we had in the second half, we kept it on the ground, GB had no answer. Sure you mix it up but to run the ball the way we did against a middle of the pack run stopping D only 23 times is ludicrous!! On top of that, the way Ben was throwing the ball, to low, to high, under thrown, overthrown, run the ball until he finds somewhat of a groove. Mendy hasn't had a game all season where he came close to 20 carries, I thought we were saving his wheels for if and when we made the big dance. Well, the big dance was last night!!! WTF!!!!!

Thanks for listening to me rant :greengrin:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Clevelandsux
02-07-2011, 10:23 AM
I think mcfadden is worse than gay. I actually think our offensive didn't play too bad yesterday. Mendenhall made some good runs, but his fumble killed us.

coldrolled
02-07-2011, 10:32 AM

Spend the money for a FA on NA... millions is nothing for him. we need him, not another project child..... get rid of Lewis and mundy already..... get a S and NA

and fire BA already.... if that was his game plan he should be hung where the three rivers meet....

LatrobePA
02-07-2011, 10:48 AM
When B-mack played for Zona he was picked on by AR, this was their game plan...William Gay isn't the answer and to be honest we don't have the answer on this roster.

JensK
02-07-2011, 10:57 AM
Much Much better CBs than William Gay have been burned by that Packers offense. Sure, they missed a couple of pass-breakups, but if you look at a lot of those throws, most of the time our players were INCHES from interceptions or at least a broken up pass. It just did not go our way, and Green Bay dared to make the throws against us.

coldrolled
02-07-2011, 11:03 AM
Credit GB for picking on one of our secondaries weak links and exploiting it all nite. At least they recognized match ups in their favor, not like BA and Ben could've done the same thing when GB's secondary got hurt. Not trying to sound like a broken record here but BA is a ****ing idiot!! Someone please explain to me how we run for a 5.5 avg on 126 yards but we only run the ball 23 times? I always thought one of the games philosophies is, if whatever you are doing on offense, especially running the ball, is successful, you keep doing it until the D stops it. Perfect example, the 5 play 50 yard TD drive we had in the second half, we kept it on the ground, GB had no answer. Sure you mix it up but to run the ball the way we did against a middle of the pack run stopping D only 23 times is ludicrous!! On top of that, the way Ben was throwing the ball, to low, to high, under thrown, overthrown, run the ball until he finds somewhat of a groove. Mendy hasn't had a game all season where he came close to 20 carries, I thought we were saving his wheels for if and when we made the big dance. Well, the big dance was last night!!! WTF!!!!!

Thanks for listening to me rant :greengrin:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

your playing my song bro... it was the game plan from hell... :plus1::plus1::plus1::plus1:

beaver688
02-07-2011, 11:09 AM
to much party the night before ( BEN )

LatrobePA
02-07-2011, 11:19 AM
to much party the night before ( BEN )

Tuesday wasn't the night B4 the SB get your facts right B4 trying to make a case!

Phenomenal TJ
02-07-2011, 11:30 AM
You know how hard it is for me when I'm writing for the blog and have to type something about William Gay and not just let loose a paragraph laced with profanities? lol.

Rampage
02-07-2011, 12:14 PM
I think Gay can keep a roster spot IF this team can recognize that he is only suitable for nickel play and blitzing. It is time for Keenan Lewis, Crezdon Butler, or a draft pick to break the starting lineup. Taylor, Clark, and Polamalu are all strong, but as they say, you are only as strong as your weakest link. Teams now have two blueprints, the New England game and this Green Bay game, to see how to destroy the defense and it is targeting the weak corner(s). Nobody can run on the team; passing is the only option. If the corners were upgraded, perhaps it would take an extra half second for the QB to find his read and by that time Harrison and Woodley could get there. Until this team realizes that their 5th round and later picks aren't going to cut it in coverage, they are going to get abused by the passing game.

LatrobePA
02-07-2011, 12:16 PM
Lewis sucks ***, sorry! He can't do much right!

Rampage
02-07-2011, 12:21 PM

That's what I've been hearing as well. If that's the case, this team needs to come to the realization and cut him and move on.

coldrolled
02-07-2011, 12:23 PM

We need to spend millions on NA for our CB in FA and draft some more top OL.

But no matter... if BA is not released... we are just spending money for nothing...

14 atts by mendy... 40 pass atts by ben... against GB... story over..

heres a pic of mendy getting help during his fumble... see the players helping him?

http://www.fmb360.com/1.jpg

parker39
02-08-2011, 07:30 PM
The secondary today was unable to step up. That big 3rd down play late in the game was on Ike Taylor. Clark and Bmac were out of position or playing way too far off on too many occasions. Gay was picked on today as was McFadden. Gay had a decent year really, he improved as the year went on and he was key in our playoff wins.

Today though the entire secondary is to blame, not just Gay.

All 4 in the Secondary needs replaced or benched ,,, Gay Needs gone gone..
Consistency wins games not off and on....playoff games especially...
Troy hasnt played with ambition about winning since Oct

SteelDad
02-08-2011, 07:35 PM
When B-mack played for Zona he was picked on by AR, this was their game plan...William Gay isn't the answer and to be honest we don't have the answer on this roster.

Bullseye. B-Mac not the answer nor is Gay and most importantly, the CB of the future is NOT on the current roster. This is going to be a huge off-season for us.

parker39
02-08-2011, 07:36 PM
I think Gay can keep a roster spot IF this team can recognize that he is only suitable for nickel play and blitzing. It is time for Keenan Lewis, Crezdon Butler, or a draft pick to break the starting lineup. Taylor, Clark, and Polamalu are all strong, but as they say, you are only as strong as your weakest link. Teams now have two blueprints, the New England game and this Green Bay game, to see how to destroy the defense and it is targeting the weak corner(s). Nobody can run on the team; passing is the only option. If the corners were upgraded, perhaps it would take an extra half second for the QB to find his read and by that time Harrison and Woodley could get there. Until this team realizes that their 5th round and later picks aren't going to cut it in coverage, they are going to get abused by the passing game.

NO Gay doesnt matter he sucks in nickel as well I watched him get beat by tightends as well,,, Ike Taylor cant catch and slips and falls down all the time,,, Troy trys to do it all to babysit the others>> bryant mcfadden has no speed and is not a good lockdown corner.. Ryan clark plays well every other week...

Nolrog
02-08-2011, 07:39 PM
We need OL help

CB playmaker PRIORITY!!!!

DL depth!!!!

I guess that means they are going to pick 2 more Wide Receivers and 3 more line backers in the first 5 rounds.

NYCsteelersfan
02-28-2011, 03:17 AM
I guess that means they are going to pick 2 more Wide Receivers and 3 more line backers in the first 5 rounds.

They need all the receivers they can get to replace the good ones they constantly drop after going through the trouble of drafting and developing them.

Deviouz1
02-28-2011, 03:42 AM
We need to spend millions on NA for our CB in FA and draft some more top OL.

+1

but even that is just a start. he's either 30 or going to be 30 this season meaning who knows how much longer he's going to be around? he would be a very good patch for a couple of years but what we really need are the younger players like Crezdon to learn from NA/Ike while they can so they can take over when NA/Ike start sliding down that slippery slope called age.

OL this draft CB maybe FS next. unless a CB that's too good to pass up is available of course, like, one that slides WAY father than was thought. in which case, go for it.

coldrolled
02-28-2011, 09:33 AM
+1

but even that is just a start. he's either 30 or going to be 30 this season meaning who knows how much longer he's going to be around? he would be a very good patch for a couple of years but what we really need are the younger players like Crezdon to learn from NA/Ike while they can so they can take over when NA/Ike start sliding down that slippery slope called age.

OL this draft CB maybe FS next. unless a CB that's too good to pass up is available of course, like, one that slides WAY father than was thought. in which case, go for it.

NA may be 28.. we need him to fill a huge hole.. or some guys are talking Joseph.
But what will the price difference really be?

OL at #31 would be good, a OT/G type for #1
S at #63 or NT

LatrobePA
02-28-2011, 09:54 AM
I see this team trading up in the draft and going after someone they want bad...

Rampage
02-28-2011, 11:56 AM
I see this team trading up in the draft and going after someone they want bad...

I wouldn't mind seeing this team trade up if they could snag a solid DB/OL/DL player that can come in and play from day one. I also wouldn't be surprised to see the Steelers move back if enough prospects have already be drafted by 20-25 or if enough remain in that same window.

Mike Tomlin
02-28-2011, 12:13 PM
I hope we just trade up a couple spots and get Pouncey so our interior is set for years. We're fine on tackles , Starks coming back and we made it to the superbowl with our 3rd and 4th string Tackles. Lets sign Joseph to a deal and use our picks for depth in stead of need. Joseph is young and he'll seal up the other side of Ike for a few years.

LatrobePA
02-28-2011, 12:17 PM
Here in a few days FA signings will not be an option, so it looks like draft only for now!

Rampage
02-28-2011, 12:35 PM
I hope we just trade up a couple spots and get Pouncey so our interior is set for years. We're fine on tackles , Starks coming back and we made it to the superbowl with our 3rd and 4th string Tackles. Lets sign Joseph to a deal and use our picks for depth in stead of need. Joseph is young and he'll seal up the other side of Ike for a few years.

I wouldn't mind snagging Joseph and then moving up a little to get Pouncey; however, the odds of either occurring appear to be very low. This team won't make another splash in free agency until some veterans hit the old dusty trail and it looks like Pouncey will be targeted by a team like the Eagles (pick 23) or Giants (pick 19). I doubt the Steelers will want to lose an extra pick just for a guard, fairy tale family reunion story or not.

steelersbabex25
02-28-2011, 03:53 PM
Pouncey isn't supposed to go until late in the first round so depending on the needs of other teams I think it's very possible that he's still around come our pick. If that's the case, pick him up, no ifs ands or buts about it.

Rampage
02-28-2011, 04:06 PM
Pouncey isn't supposed to go until late in the first round so depending on the needs of other teams I think it's very possible that he's still around come our pick. If that's the case, pick him up, no ifs ands or buts about it.

What do you do if Mike Pouncey (G), Anthony Castonzo (T), and Jimmy Smith (CB) are all there at #31? Kind of like the end of The Good Son.

steelersbabex25
02-28-2011, 04:28 PM
What do you do if Mike Pouncey (G), Anthony Castonzo (T), and Jimmy Smith (CB) are all there at #31? Kind of like the end of The Good Son.

Don't know. That's why I'm not the one picking :lol:

JollyRob68
02-28-2011, 04:50 PM

Based on what we've seen so far(jimmy hasn't competed) The winner was Castonzo but I'd take Mike Pouncey and have a dominant interior line for a decade. However, if you take Castonzo you can grab a Guard later or a Powerful tackle with smaller arms or slower feet who can convert to guard in the later rounds.

Take the guard because we manage to stopgap Tackles but cant find a powerful guard. If a Cornerback they wan is there they'll probably take him because CB are going to go fast in the 2nd round.

They could trade back with Oakland for their 2nd & 4th or push for their 2nd & 3rd. Oakland wants to get back into the first round badly.

Mike Tomlin
02-28-2011, 10:45 PM
I wouldn't mind snagging Joseph and then moving up a little to get Pouncey; however, the odds of either occurring appear to be very low. This team won't make another splash in free agency until some veterans hit the old dusty trail and it looks like Pouncey will be targeted by a team like the Eagles (pick 23) or Giants (pick 19). I doubt the Steelers will want to lose an extra pick just for a guard, fairy tale family reunion story or not.

I couldn't care less about the reunion I just think he would be perfect for us he just happens to be our centers twin brother lol! It really should be considered because they can let McFadden go and replace him and that contract Arizona gave him. Then again these are the Rooney's so it's not likely. I just don't think there will be a good corner or tackle there when we pick. Pouncey is not going to drop to 31 ,Jimmy Smith may be there but then we're back in the same boat with a rookie corner who we won't start. Lets trade up and get a starter right now.

STEELWILLiam
03-02-2011, 11:28 AM
Asomugha would be a huge addition to our secondary, but the Steelers never go after big name free agents. I think CB has to be the number one priority in this years draft. Our O-Line wasn't great but we will be ok with Starks coming back and hopefully Colon will be healthy. It will cost too much to move up to get Peterson or Amukamara, but Jimmy Smith, Aaron Williams and Brandon Harris are all good late 1st rounders.

Mike Tomlin
03-02-2011, 04:45 PM
I'll pass on Jimmy Smith, he's not fluid at all in his hips just like Lewis . Also I hope we don't get a corner first round because he'll never see the field. Atleast if we sign Pouncey he has a chance to help us this year. If we don't get a vet at corner like Joseph we're pretty much in the same position all over again. We refuse to start Rookie corners and I don't know if a starting corner will be there at 31

JensK
03-02-2011, 04:57 PM
I'll pass on Jimmy Smith, he's not fluid at all in his hips just like Lewis . Also I hope we don't get a corner first round because he'll never see the field. Atleast if we sign Pouncey he has a chance to help us this year. If we don't get a vet at corner like Joseph we're pretty much in the same position all over again. We refuse to start Rookie corners and I don't know if a starting corner will be there at 31

Pouncey will have to do drugs and kill someone at his proday if he is to fall to 31 at this point.

Mike Tomlin
03-02-2011, 07:22 PM
Pouncey will have to do drugs and kill someone at his proday if he is to fall to 31 at this point.
Of course thats why I said earlier that we had to trade up for him.