PDA

View Full Version : Turnovers were the difference

BlitzburghRockCity
02-06-2011, 11:11 PM
3 turnovers..3 TD's..that's your ballgame. Ben was stellar all year long at not turning the ball over and today those 2 picks especially were just killer. They managed to climb back in it but Mendenhall's fumble was the dagger. You preach it day in and day out from minicamp on. In a game like this there are too many things that have to happen for you to win when you don't kill yourself, let alone when you give the ball away.

BR7
02-06-2011, 11:14 PM
Hard to overcome 21 points off of turnovers, but I liked our chances down by 6. Couldn't ask for anything more considering the inability to hang on to the ball.

DIESELMAN
02-06-2011, 11:15 PM
Yep....that and we should've ran the ball a hell of a lot more, despite Mendy's fumble. We could run the ball on GB but we only managed 23 carries. We ran for 126 yards, 5.5 avg!!!

andyg1984
02-06-2011, 11:16 PM
our D did their part .. hurts to say, but i sort of feel like ben lost this one to A-Rod ...

Steelers_All_Day_43
02-06-2011, 11:18 PM
But...but..but 7 th heaven......

Moondog
02-06-2011, 11:19 PM
What hurts is the Steelers could have survived the first two turnovers, but the Mendy funble did it. The proverbial straw that broke the camel's back. I do have to say I like how the Steelers fought, they could have won the game despite all of their mistakes.

Koopa
02-06-2011, 11:22 PM
and the lack of a playmaker on defense was the difference......

BlitzburghRockCity
02-06-2011, 11:26 PM
I just look back at that pick 6 as being the difference in the game. The defense didn't get a chance to try and make a play. I don't know what their chances would have been but that one was rough.

RIVERS OF STEEL
02-06-2011, 11:28 PM
There ain't no luv for the Steelers 2nite sep a few of hardcore fans I suppose. Pissed as hell but a fan no less. Thank God I don't have to go to work tomorrow that won't be pretty. Should be an interesting rebuild. Can I punch my daughter out(never, just kidding, she probably could kick my *** anyway) she is a gb fan and jinxed this whole thing from the start.

In shock in Virginia.

Mike

P.S. Thanks for all the fun this past season. The SA staff, contributors and members have given me many fun filled hours of enjoyment.
Job well done ya all. Time for some NASCAR.

Scorp
There has to be a winner and there has to be a loser. Packers made the plays and we didn't. Well we did but it was too late. We'll be back.

Farrior Fan
Solid game by the Packers, we were great on D but just couldn't get the game changer that we are used to. Ben wanted to get his WR's killed as high as he was throwing it all night. We had the red carpet rolled out for us to take #7 when Woodson went out and Ben just couldn't do it.

Bottom line, great job Oline - we ran really well and kept Ben upright
D - stopped em most of the time, but zero splash plays
Mendy- except for one play great game - too bad you and Ben lost it for us.
CB's - Please draft a good one
Wr's - not bad not good. Hines was great but I'm wondering if he was even covered.
QB - I don't know if that early slip screwed up his knee or if an alien took over Bens body -if so can you please not visit any college bars in the offseason?

Koopa
02-06-2011, 11:30 PM
I just look back at that pick 6 as being the difference in the game. The defense didn't get a chance to try and make a play. I don't know what their chances would have been but that one was rough.

the defense had two other chances though and couldn't make a play.....we have guys that can make a sack but a sack is pointless if they just come back and throw all over u the next play...... troy is a bum now

TheFizzman
02-06-2011, 11:30 PM
as never being old enough to remember the throw away game to cowboys, i am hurt a bit, but not too upset...i think the hardest thing to get mad was we ruin this game for ourself...we beat ourselves....call me crazy, but this is how i feel.

Scorp
02-06-2011, 11:31 PM
I wonder wth farrior told the guys at halftime.

LatrobePA
02-06-2011, 11:31 PM
I blame TO's yes, but wtf was Troy doing all day??

Clay Mathews got robbed when Troy won the DPOY!! Sorry folks it's the truth!!

BR7
02-06-2011, 11:32 PM

I disagree.. I think the Mendy one was it. Had all the momentum in the world up until that point, IMO. But again, down by 6, 2:00 to go, I still liked our chances. Really couldn't ask for anymore with how they turned it over. A chance at the end.. we had it and didn't do **** with it.

BlitzburghRockCity
02-06-2011, 11:35 PM
I can see that and I agree Ron, and you make a great point. I just think if possibly they could have atleast got him down then maybe they hold them to a FG. Either way though, the Mendy fumble right in the middle of a comeback was just nightmare.

SteelerDan43
02-06-2011, 11:35 PM
It sucks but you can't win 'em all, just be thankful we are not the Bills... It would really suck to lose them all...

airbrake 1
02-06-2011, 11:38 PM
What a season, it ends in disappointment,but i had fun all year...I really don't like losing in the super bowl, but i'll take this over losing in the AFC championship game...no matter what it is still a honor to play in this game...too bad the steelers played one of their sloppiest games of the year...you can't expect to go down by 2 or three scores against playoff caliber teams...we pulled it off against baltimore and came agonizingly close today but one too many shots in our own foot did us in...Congratulations packers hopefully we get a rematch next year...Seriously i'll take losing in this game over losing the AFC championship game, perhaps some of you will disagree...oh well

franchise3
02-06-2011, 11:39 PM
I blame TO's yes, but wtf was Troy doing all day??

Clay Mathews got robbed when Troy won the DPOY!! Sorry folks it's the truth!!

No. Harrison got robbed!

Fede86
02-06-2011, 11:42 PM
We will be back.

One little thing, I bet LeBeau wishes he could have back that CB blitz he called on the Nelson's big play on the 3rd down before Jennings' second TD. It left Nelson one-on-one with Clark, which of course got burned. That play, among others, killed us.

Anyway, we will be back!

LatrobePA
02-06-2011, 11:43 PM
No. Harrison got robbed!

Literally! 52 was money all year IMO no knock on James at all..

North Steel
02-06-2011, 11:44 PM
They beat themselves.It's to bad it went this way,let's just hope there's a next year.:helmet:

steelerschick1220
02-06-2011, 11:46 PM
we gave them 21 points. hard to overcome that. ohhhhh I hate losing. and I'm already tired of hearing about rodgers.

sanscritt
02-06-2011, 11:53 PM
This one doesn't sting as bad as the giveaway to Dallas. I am disappointed, but we made it a game even though we gave up 21 on turnovers.
Packers reminded me of the Steelers when we were the #6 seed and won it all. Can't say I'm surprised at the result, Steelers didn't seem to have alot of energy most of the game.

We will be back!

Steelerfreak56
02-06-2011, 11:55 PM
Roethlisberger playing like roethlisberger in super bowls. Throwing picks and trying to make a drive at the end. Didn't work out this time though. Thinking we need either an o-lineman or a corner in the draft:cope:

igor0190
02-07-2011, 12:01 AM
Definately tough to lose considering I still whole heartedly believe the Steelers are the better team... Steelers just played a sub par game and as stated in this thread turnovers were the difference.

I would have rather had the Packers beat us with the Steelers playing a "cleaner" game. It would have been easier to deal with. But hey... it's sports, the best team doesn't ALWAYS win.

--- Added 2/6/2011 at 10:01 PM ---

Thinking we need either an o-lineman or a corner in the draft:cope:

We need Pouncey, Colon, and Starks back healthy...
Think of how different this game could have been. No excuses though.... The Packers had a ton of injuries as well.
Another solid guy in the draft would be great too though.

steelersbabex25
02-07-2011, 12:05 AM
I was very very very very surprised at how horribly Roethlisberger played. He just did not look like himself at all. Both the interceptions were kind of iffy. He got hit on the first one, and it definitely looked to me like there could have been pass interference on Wallace on the second one. Aside from that, he was missing throws all day. Over throwing recievers, under throwing recievers, throwing too far behind them, throwing too far in front of them, trying to force throws that he knew he wouldn't be able to make. Bad, bad day for Ben. If I expected anyone to let me down in that game, he would be at the very bottom of my list.

Side note: Especially to the people who follow him on facebook, does anyone feel absolutely terrible for Emmanuel Sanders? He's the one that I just want to cry for. He must be feeling horrible right now.

SteelerCountry58
02-07-2011, 12:05 AM
Hard to win a game when you shoot yourself in the foot three times.
They made a valient effort to comeback but the stupid mistakes were
too much to overcome. The O line played solid I thought. The D wasn't
very good tonight especially Troy who came up small in this game.
We still had a chance in the end but not enough time. Sucks!
Great year overall though,we still love ya's!:clap::cope:

Steelerfreak56
02-07-2011, 12:19 AM
We need Pouncey, Colon, and Starks back healthy...
Think of how different this game could have been. No excuses though.... The Packers had a ton of injuries as well.
Another solid guy in the draft would be great too though.[/QUOTE]

Yeah kemoeatu played well too except for the pressure he gave up on the first pick ben threw. I'm excited about the offseason to get everyone healthy. Wouldn't mind signing Nnamdi Asomugha from Oakland we really need a lockdown corner like him. Sooner or later were gonna need a possession receiver Hines can't play forever

DanRooney
02-07-2011, 01:17 AM
Props to Randle El and Hine for being the slowest yet most consistent receivers of the game. Antonio Brown was MIA as was Wallace and Miller pretty much.

steelersbabex25
02-07-2011, 01:21 AM
Props to Randle El and Hine for being the slowest yet most consistent receivers of the game. Antonio Brown was MIA as was Wallace and Miller pretty much.

Randel El made some awesome grabs. The man can't catch a ball right between the numbers but he can hop 4 feet and grab one out of the air. Mind boggling.

Scorp
02-07-2011, 01:23 AM
Please, someone pinch me or give me a lap dance so i know i'm not dreaming and someone tell me the Steelers are 7 time champions.

steelerschick1220
02-07-2011, 01:27 AM
I'd love to wake up and realize this has all been a horrible horrible dream.

SteelerDave74
02-07-2011, 01:28 AM
I'd love to wake up and realize this has all been a horrible horrible dream.

:yellowthumb::plus1: I could only wished.

Rampage
02-07-2011, 11:34 AM
Well, Ben played like he needed to force the ball into receivers and Rodgers took what he could get. That was the difference. I had high expectations for Ben and all I can say is that he didn't come close to meeting them. For every good play, there was an equally terrible play. Who knows, maybe there could be a silver lining in there somewhere: Wallace got some big time experience and maybe he'll be better for it.

Scorp
02-07-2011, 12:52 PM
By Bob Labriola - Steelers Digest

Posted 11 hours ago

ARLINGTON, Texas -- The Super Bowl might be the most-hyped sporting event on earth every year, with an entire week always spent analyzing every aspect of the matchup to death.

How would the Steelers react in terms of personnel groupings when the Packers went to multiple receivers? How was Green Bay going to be able to deal with the Steelers running game?

Aaron Rodgers vs. Dick LeBeau. Dom Capers vs. Ben Roethlisberger. The people who get paid to talk about the game pick apart every matchup, they try to predict unsung heroes, they speak in definitive tones about how the game is going to unfold.

But sometimes, its not very complicated. Sometimes, it comes down to one of the most fundamental aspects of the sport.

Teams that turn the ball over in big games rarely win them, and teams that turn the ball over three times in big games without compensating with some takeaways of their own typically have no chance.

The Steelers failed in their bid for a seventh Lombardi Trophy tonight against the Green Bay Packers at Cowboys Stadium, and the reasons, the culprits, the strategy employed, that led to the 31-25 final will be debated for a long time.

But really, it was simple. Two Ben Roethlisberger interceptions, one of which was returned for a touchdown, plus a Rashard Mendenhall fumble that ended what looked to be a promising offensive possession in the second half, are what prevented the Steelers from winning Super Bowl XLV.

For those looking for answers as to why the Packers won and for why the Steelers lost, its actually pretty simple, and the answer to both questions is the same.

Turnovers.

roosterray
02-07-2011, 12:58 PM
AGREED

Rampage
02-07-2011, 01:08 PM
Yep, you can't spot a team seven points and then give them two short drives for touchdowns and expect to win. The Packers could have easily been had if the Steelers would have actually executed.

SteelerDave74
02-07-2011, 01:14 PM
Spot on, Rampage.

andyg1984
02-07-2011, 03:35 PM
hines came to play too and so did mendy but i don't know where the hell else everyone was on offense ..

steelersbabex25
02-07-2011, 03:41 PM
hines came to play too and so did mendy but i don't know where the hell else everyone was on offense ..

Hines did come to play. He did what he could to make Ben's terrible throws look good. Mendy was running hard as he has been. One of them gets my MVP vote for the Steelers, even though the lost. There aren't many to chose from, that's for sure.

NHStlrfan
02-07-2011, 03:41 PM
Well, Ben played like he needed to force the ball into receivers and Rodgers took what he could get. That was the difference. I had high expectations for Ben and all I can say is that he didn't come close to meeting them. For every good play, there was an equally terrible play. Who knows, maybe there could be a silver lining in there somewhere: Wallace got some big time experience and maybe he'll be better for it.

Seems to me Ben's play was related to NOT being hit. Maybe he needs to be slammed a few times to get the cobwebs out so he can play better. :thinking: He's always played better after contact. Maybe the GB game plan was to just keep him in the pocket. :thinking:

andyg1984
02-07-2011, 03:42 PM
yeah, thats what i was thinkin if we made the comeback .. either hines or mendy gets it .. man, would it have been nice to see hines get #2 ..

steelersbabex25
02-07-2011, 03:43 PM
yeah, thats what i was thinkin if we made the comeback .. either hines or mendy gets it .. man, would it have been nice to see hines get #2 ..

#3..but who's counting?

andyg1984
02-07-2011, 03:46 PM
naw, 2nd super bowl MVP

steelersbabex25
02-07-2011, 03:50 PM
naw, 2nd super bowl MVP

Ahh gotcha. True. If they won he was a definite possibility, just because he's one of the few that didn't play like crap.

andyg1984
02-07-2011, 03:52 PM
i think he would have retired on the spot in style