PDA

View Full Version : Who will be coaching the Steelers in 2007?

AZ_Steeler
01-02-2007, 12:54 PM
As requested by BnGB...

Who do you think will be the coach and why? If you select other, then who is the "other"?

House of Steel
01-02-2007, 01:07 PM
Outsider: Jon Gruden is he is fired from Tampa Bay, otherwise, I see us going after Ron Rivera or Mike Singletary.

BlacknGold Bleeder
01-02-2007, 01:12 PM
First off thanks for the poll !! :bigthumb:

I'm going outsider, who I have no idea!! Nobody knew Cowher when he came, I don't believe his name was one of the "hot prospects" back then. I have full faith in the FO abilities to hire an excellent coach !!

Jon Gruden ?? you drinking already???

Steelersfan
01-02-2007, 01:12 PM
I don't know who but I think they go outside the organization for a new coach. Nothing against Wiz and Grimm. Just think there are better coaches out there.

AZ_Steeler
01-02-2007, 01:15 PM
I selected outsider but after I clicked it I thought they would choose someone from the inside only because everything the FO has done this year has not been patterns from their past :dunno:

House of Steel
01-02-2007, 01:17 PM
Jon Gruden, I know, Bleeder. He has the same fire and passion as Cowher does. I think he is going to be canned.

BlacknGold Bleeder
01-02-2007, 01:23 PM
I don't believe they will recycle a HC. It will be someone with a low profile that is willing to come in and play in their system, and then make changes after he has earned the right,IMO

Koopa
01-02-2007, 03:12 PM
for awhile i wanted ken, but i don't know anymore, i actually wouldn't mind cowher coming back lol.....i just don't know, i look around the league, and a lot of the new coaches that have been successful have mostly been defensive coordinators, or at least i think they were lol....all i know is, whoever is picked will be inheriting a very good team that will make him look like a genius right out the gate, just like poopovich with the spurs lol

BlitzburghRockCity
01-02-2007, 03:53 PM
Why in the world would you want Gruden ? Sure he's the same mentality that Cowher is, but his track record in Tampa Bay is hardly something to write home about...

K Train
01-02-2007, 05:43 PM
I WOULD CRY IF WE GOT GRUDEN...............CRY!!!!!!!!!!!!!

HE SUCKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!

He won a superbowl with dungys players, they have gotten worse every year since....he would rather force a team into his system rather than play to their strenths, it would be a complete disaster and i would be very disappointed. Or defense isnt built for his defense and Big ben is not a 3 step drop passer, Gruden refuses to use the shotgun because he doesnt like it, i dont care if he yells like cowher or thinks like cohwer, we are not trying to find another cowher, there isnt another cowher, we dont need this joke coaching our team.....**** gruden.....**** HIM!!!

Forged in Steel
01-02-2007, 05:48 PM
It will be Mike Mularkey!

SteelersfaninPhilly
01-02-2007, 05:51 PM
It will be Mike Mularkey!

Put the drugs down. Mike Mularkey will not be here.

Forged in Steel
01-02-2007, 05:55 PM
Put the drugs down. Mike Mularkey will not be here.

Drugs? LOL. You never know how weird the Steelers are. Heck, if Butch Davis was not at UNC they would get him. LOL.

SteelersfaninPhilly
01-02-2007, 05:59 PM
You should know better.

Blitzburgh55
01-02-2007, 06:03 PM
I want rivera the Bears defnesive cordnator

K Train
01-02-2007, 06:05 PM
How bout Norm Chow?

Troyisabeast_43
01-02-2007, 06:20 PM
I do think they will bring in a number of guys they already have been reports they have a list of 5-10 canidates who they are ready to look at. Keep an eye on Kirk Ferentz from Iowa and Chan Gailey the former offensive coordinator here and the Cowboys head coach. Ferentz is a guy if Im going to go outside and get somebody is who I would go after. He has had 6 years experience in the past as as assistant in the NFL and just seems like a guy based on his resume who would be a good fit. Plus it wont hurt that he is a Pittsburgh native as well.

BlitzburghRockCity
01-02-2007, 06:22 PM
No way Gailey gets the job, IMO. He was a decent OC, but he flopped in Dallas and I don't want any guys with bad records coming in here to coach us.

The team will act quickly to secure interviews with candidates but they will take their time in deciding that's for sure. You don't have 2 head coaches in over 30 years without knowing what you're doing and thinking things through.

K Train
01-02-2007, 06:30 PM
you gotta think this is a job that people will REALLY want, a good team, a great front office, just an all around good organization.....oh yeah and talk about job stability

Troyisabeast_43
01-02-2007, 06:36 PM
Absolutely Train there is no doubt in my mind that whoever the Rooney's and Colbert bring in here to be the next coach it will be a guy with a winning background and somebody who can get this team back to the Super Bowl and win it as soon as next season. You can bet it will be a good coach because as you also mentioned its a job a lot people will want with great job security and stability, and a job with a winning tradition. I have total faith in the Rooney's to bring in the man thats gonna lead us to that 6th championship.

House of Steel
01-02-2007, 09:01 PM
Rivera is my choice also, Blitz. I am with you there, HIM AND LEBEAU WOULD BE A FORCE TO BE RECKON WITH ON DEFENSE!!!. Chow doesn't sound right, train. Steelers Head Coach Norm Chow. ROTFLMAO. Damn that just doesn't sound right.

BlitzburghRockCity
01-02-2007, 10:08 PM
Norm Chow is entrenched with Vince Young, but he's done wonders with the kid in his first year, so he'd be good with Big Ben..but I'd imagine he's not a top priority with the front office with others out there to choose from.

K Train
01-02-2007, 10:24 PM
I WOULD CRY IF WE GOT GRUDEN...............CRY!!!!!!!!!!!!!

HE SUCKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!

He won a superbowl with dungys players, they have gotten worse every year since....he would rather force a team into his system rather than play to their strenths, it would be a complete disaster and i would be very disappointed. Or defense isnt built for his defense and Big ben is not a 3 step drop passer, Gruden refuses to use the shotgun because he doesnt like it, i dont care if he yells like cowher or thinks like cohwer, we are not trying to find another cowher, there isnt another cowher, we dont need this joke coaching our team.....**** gruden.....**** HIM!!!

bump* i just want everyone to know how i feel about gruden lol

BlitzburghRockCity
01-02-2007, 10:26 PM
Im with ya man, the guy has been unimpressive ever since he got there. He's allowed that team to get old and his draft picks have not panned out for the most part.

Koopa
01-02-2007, 10:36 PM
I want rivera the Bears defnesive cordnator

hell yeah, a latin coach lol

DIESELMAN
01-02-2007, 10:40 PM
.....**** gruden.....**** HIM!!!

I'm with you on that K-train....LMFAO!!!!! I think it'll be someone we never heard of under the radar. I'm thinking the Rooneys have been getting ready for this longer then anyone thinks. It'll be just like when they hired Cowher, everybody was like "Who??".

House of Steel
01-02-2007, 10:40 PM
Hey Koopa, think about this one though, Rivera + LeBeau = Defense from HELL!!!! SEE YA LATER!!! The NFL would go to surrender at us.

BlacknGold Bleeder
01-03-2007, 01:13 AM
IF we get Rivera Lebeau will move on,IMO.

Koopa
01-03-2007, 01:20 AM
he doesn't like latin ppl?? lol

Steelersfan
01-03-2007, 01:22 AM
Actually Lebeau could move on anyways depending on who we get.

BlacknGold Bleeder
01-03-2007, 01:26 AM
I would not be at all surprised if he also retires for a time. A new head coach will want to bring in some of his own people.

SteelersfaninPhilly
01-03-2007, 01:27 AM
LeBeau has made it known he wants to comeback.

CINCINNATI - Wide receivers coach Bruce Arians insisted Bill Cowher's unresolved status as the Steelers' head coach beyond 2006 didn't affect the assistants this season, but he acknowledged that situation is about to change.

"Next week, it will," Arians said following Sunday's season-ending, 23-17 overtime victory over the Bengals at Paul Brown Stadium.

Or, perhaps as early as this week.

Cowher said he told the media what he told his players following what could have been the final game of his 15-year tenure with the Steelers: That he still didn't know what his ultimate decision would be and that he wanted to take some time to "reflect" before making it official.

Cowher added that he knew which way he was "leaning."

"I have no clue," Arians said, "and I know him pretty well."

Quarterbacks coach Mark Whipple said he was as clueless as Arians regarding Cowher's intentions.

"I know we'll be in (today) at 9 a.m.," Whipple said, "We can worry about that down the road. This was just a great win and a great way to finish the season."

Defensive coordinator Dick LeBeau didn't know which way Cowher was leaning, either. But LeBeau said he wanted to return as defensive coordinator no matter who winds up coaching the Steelers in 2007.

"I think the world of these guys and you can see why," LeBeau said. "And this is a great franchise, a great place to work.

"If they want some guy to balance out their experience on their coaching staff, I'm just the guy for them."

Arians said he's thought about what might happen once the season was completed, but not often.

"You always think what if?" he said. "But you'll drive yourself crazy doing that. I've been in this business too damn long. I've been hired and fired for the right and wrong reasons; I just go.

"I hope he comes back. I love working for him."

Linebacker Joey Porter was the one who asked Cowher his intentions in the jubilant visitor's locker room yesterday at Paul Brown Stadium.

Offensive coordinator Ken Whisenhunt said no one on the coaching staff made any such inquiries this season.

"I can't speak for the team," Whisenhunt said. "It hasn't come up with us, the staff.

"I respect Coach Cowher and everything he's done, and that's his decision. We're trying to get ready for the games, so it's not even really been a thing for us."

Cowher's decision will affect the future of his assistants. Whisenhunt and assistant head coach/offensive line coach Russ Grimm would presumably be candidates to succeed Cowher. Other staff members might not be retained under a new head coach or even if Cowher returns.

Still, no one wanted to press the head coach for the answer to a question that has hung over the Steelers since they reported to training camp at St. Vincent College in July.

"He's a great coach and an excellent leader," LeBeau said. "Whatever he chooses, I'll understand. He's certainly been good to me and given me an opportunity to come back and get our Super Bowl championship last year as a part of the Steelers.

"He'll always be one of my favorites.

Added Whisenhunt: "I can't begin to tell you the opportunity he's given me, so I respect whatever decision he makes and what he has to do in order to come to that decision."

Mike Prisuta can be reached at mprisuta@t

House of Steel
01-03-2007, 01:30 AM
I am glad to read this and you found it. Wow. That is a lot of respect and we all knew this. Man I am getting very nervous about this. It is edgy and doggone emotional.

Steelersfan
01-03-2007, 01:33 AM
It's good to know Dick wants to come back. I sure hope he does. He's a very good DC and knows this system well. A new HC would be wise to keep him on at least for a year or two. I think Wiz is either our new HC or gets a job somewhere else. Same with Grimm.

SteelersfaninPhilly
01-03-2007, 01:43 AM
It's good to know Dick wants to come back. I sure hope he does. He's a very good DC and knows this system well. A new HC would be wise to keep him on at least for a year or two. I think Wiz is either our new HC or gets a job somewhere else. Same with Grimm.

SF, I think while a new coach will bring on a new staff. I would expect and hope LeBeau would be asked to stay on.

Koopa
01-03-2007, 01:47 AM
i think ken will go too hotlanta and get blamed for vick being overrated lol.....

i like LeBeau so i really hope he stays, i think if we can get a badass olb in the first round we'll be set and LeBeau defense will look better

to be honest, i really don't know who grimm is, i know he's the oline coach.....well i think he is lol....i like his name though, that's a cool name russ grimm lol.....can y'all give me some info on grimm

Steelerlyn
01-03-2007, 02:03 AM
When they chose Cowher, they had asked Papa Joe and Dave Wannstead (mispelled). Papa Joe said NO and they chose BC over the mispelled guy.

So I think if they take anyone (which they won't cause BC isn't going anywhere, but heck I will play along) it will be someone you and I have never heard of.

Steelersfan
01-03-2007, 02:06 AM
i think ken will go too hotlanta and get blamed for vick being overrated lol.....

i like LeBeau so i really hope he stays, i think if we can get a badass olb in the first round we'll be set and LeBeau defense will look better

to be honest, i really don't know who grimm is, i know he's the oline coach.....well i think he is lol....i like his name though, that's a cool name russ grimm lol.....can y'all give me some info on grimm

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Russ_Grimm

Aunkster
01-03-2007, 02:07 AM
Mike Singletary,where did that name come from.
I guess it would be a fresh idea but im not sure about it,I would really need to think about that one.

BlitzburghRockCity
01-03-2007, 02:12 AM

Just to piggyback on the link that SF gave..Russ was part of the famous "hogs" offensive line from the redskins in the 80's. He was the anchor on one of the biggest and toughest OL's in recent history.

Ambridge
01-03-2007, 04:40 AM
I'm not sold on Whiz or Grimm. I think there could be too much of a comfort level that already exists between them and the players already on the roster.
Like some have already mentioned I would hope the Rooney's would take a look at Ron Rivera.

IMO it might be best for the Steelers to go outside the organization and bring in someone who is new and fresh that the will command respect from the get go and also someone who isn't going to make radical changes and work with the talent that's already available.

BlitzburghRockCity
01-03-2007, 11:23 AM
Those coaches aren't easy to find; ones that are willing to work with what's already there and not go in making wholesale changes just because. This process could take longer than we want. Sometimes there is a too much of a comfort zone when an assistant is promoted to a HC job, but sometimes that subtle change is all a team needs to get a fresh start. I'd imagine the Rooney's know what man they really want for this job anyways so hopefully they'll get him and we can move on.

DIESELMAN
01-03-2007, 11:44 AM
Bill Cowher met with Steelers president Art Rooney II yesterday morning, then drove to his new home in Raleigh, N.C., to spend at least several days before deciding if he will step down as the team's coach. Rooney said he anticipates a verdict from Cowher in the next few days at the earliest.
-- Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Thought I would keep everyone updated somewhat.....

BlitzburghRockCity
01-03-2007, 12:14 PM
He's got that whole long drive down to NC to think about, that's long enough :lol:

DIESELMAN
01-03-2007, 12:27 PM
I bet we hear something by Friday. He owes the Rooneys a quick answer and the Rooneys owe him a little time to make the right decision. Once he leaves there will be no coming back.

BlitzburghRockCity
01-03-2007, 12:37 PM
Yeah I would imagine Friday is a good possibility as well, so the team can start calling potential candidates over the weekend if necessary.

AZ_Steeler
01-03-2007, 12:38 PM
If his family is smart they will tell him to go coach because they know he's not done and he'll go stir crazy this fall running around the house wishing he was still coaching!

BlitzburghRockCity
01-03-2007, 12:46 PM
Exactly ! That's something else I hope we have on our side too, that his family knows he'll be sitting around drawing up plays in the garden if he leaves. Once he goes, he's gone though, no coming back so I just hope he's ok with whatever decision he makes and that his whole heart is into that decision, whatever it is.

House of Steel
01-04-2007, 12:57 AM
He could be playing that Head Coach game or Madden 07 and going nuts wishing that was him on the damn Steelers sideline instead of playing fantasy ball on a pixel screen. LOL.

Koopa
01-04-2007, 01:00 AM
actually he'd be playing madden 2008 lol

he's gonna take a year off and then go coach someone else for a shitload of money......i doubt he'll go stir crazy, he'll probably go to the reject channel nfl network and be an analyst for a year

Prosdo
01-05-2007, 04:13 AM
Right now I am so up in the air with this move. I know Cowher is gone, but who comes in. Part of me says Whiz, then maybe Grimm, but I can definitely see the Rooneys going outside.

SteelersfaninPhilly
01-05-2007, 06:49 AM
The Rooneys will do what is best. Even if we think is otherwise......

Aunkster
01-05-2007, 09:24 AM
Right now I am so up in the air with this move. I know Cowher is gone, but who comes in. Part of me says Whiz, then maybe Grimm, but I can definitely see the Rooneys going outside.

I dont think going outside is a bad idea ..not at all

AZ_Steeler
01-05-2007, 10:58 AM
The thing about Whiz and Grimm up for the coaching job is if one of them get it then you know the other one will be gone unless they are mutually happy with the FO decision and want to stick around for the greatest good of the team.