PDA

View Full Version : We have the 3rd place schedule in 2007

BlitzburghRockCity
01-02-2007, 12:43 AM
http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_486593.html

By The Associated Press
Tuesday, January 2, 2007

For the second season in a row, the Pittsburgh Steelers won't play a schedule overloaded with first-place teams.

The Steelers (8-8) finished third in the AFC Central despite having the same record as division runner-up Cincinnati (8-8), and thus will play a third-place schedule in 2007. The AFC's other third-place teams Buffalo (7-9), Jacksonville (8-8) and Denver (9-7) are on their schedule.

The Steelers also play every team in the AFC East and the NFC West.

At home, the Steelers will meet San Francisco (7-9), Seattle (9-7), Buffalo, Miami (6-10), Jacksonville and their AFC North opponents, Cincinnati, Cleveland (4-12) and Baltimore (13-3).

On the road, the Steelers oppose Arizona (5-11), St. Louis (8-8), New England (12-4), New York Jets (10-6), Denver and their division opponents.

There are three first-place teams on the schedule: AFC North champion Baltimore, plus AFC East champion New England and AFC West champion Seattle. The only AFC playoff teams they won't meet are Indianapolis (12-4) and San Diego (14-2).

By losing the AFC North title to Cincinnati last season, the Steelers avoided playing a first-place schedule this season even after winning the Super Bowl. Still, they missed the playoffs for the second time in six seasons despite not having to play 2005 division champions New England and Indianapolis.

Next year is hardly going to be easy whether it's a 3rd place schedule or not, those are some tough teams we'll be facing.

Hawk Believer
01-02-2007, 01:04 AM
Seattle is on the schedule! Ten bucks that game gets on prime time.

K Train
01-02-2007, 01:17 AM
ten bucks we win :tt02:

Hawk Believer
01-02-2007, 01:21 AM
ten bucks we win :tt02:

:greengrin: I am going to defer smack talk about next season until after this one is over. But that discussion could very well come sooner than later the way the Hawks have backed into the post season.

K Train
01-02-2007, 01:26 AM
:willybs: :willybs: :willybs: :willybs: :willybs: :willybs: :willybs: :willybs:

Hawks Suck, but they need to beat the cowboys....we are gonna be the first to six.....not them

BlitzburghRockCity
01-02-2007, 02:11 AM
:greengrin: I am going to defer smack talk about next season until after this one is over. But that discussion could very well come sooner than later the way the Hawks have backed into the post season.

I'll take some of that action when the time comes. :lol:

Really though, I underestimated how tough our schedule next year could be but since we made that push late in the season, and since the browns suck so bad I guess we were destined it for anyways. Those teams on there are no slouches and all of them have gotten hot this year at some point.

House of Steel
01-02-2007, 09:33 AM
That isn't an easy schedule at all, Matt. The Seattle game is going to be a huge one, I agree with Hawk. Prime time it is. You know Holmgren will be fired up for revenge on the Steelers for this one. I can see us going 11-5 or 10-6 into the playoffs.

BlitzburghRockCity
01-02-2007, 09:51 AM
I wonder how many prime time games we'll get in 2007...then again it doesn't really matter what the schedule says since Flex scheduling is in effect..

BBG7
01-02-2007, 10:31 AM
That isn't an easy schedule at all, Matt. The Seattle game is going to be a huge one, I agree with Hawk. Prime time it is. You know Holmgren will be fired up for revenge on the Steelers for this one. I can see us going 11-5 or 10-6 into the playoffs.

Yeah but once again we will have to hear about the Conspiracy Theory!

BlitzburghRockCity
01-02-2007, 10:35 AM
It's always something, isn't it?! :nonod:

BBG7
01-02-2007, 10:39 AM
yes it is...the life of a Steeler Fan...oh well, it's worth it!!!

BlacknGold Bleeder
01-02-2007, 10:40 AM
Baltimorons played a 3rd place schedule this year I believe, and look where it got them. As a previous,did I say that out loud, HC used to say "there's a fine line in this league".....

AZ_Steeler
01-02-2007, 10:45 AM
Baltimorons played a 3rd place schedule this year I believe, and look where it got them. As a previous,did I say that out loud, HC used to say "there's a fine line in this league".....

That's exactly what I was thinking BnGB! The Ravens went through their season playing the 3rd place schedule and we all were waiting for them to show their true colors but when your team is better than other 3rd place teams it's not hard to finish the way they did. I would imagine next year the Steelers will swap places with the Ravens... especially with them playing 1st place teams!

BlacknGold Bleeder
01-02-2007, 10:53 AM
The Ratbirds have a helluva defense that just might carry them a long way, that really hurts to say that. Like it or not they are playing at a championship level. Them and da bears are almost identical great defenses and mediocre offenses.

That third place schedule won't be easy but we'll have to see how things pan out in the off season, Hoak was first to go, IMHO Lebeau will follow, probably Cowher and Whiz and Grimm I won't be surprised either. We'll have to wait and see how the team will function with new HC. Hopefully whoever it is will come in and realize he doesn't have to tinker too much.

AZ_Steeler
01-02-2007, 10:56 AM
That will be the key... who goes and who's comes in and how much are they going to "tinker" with things :dunno:

now we all must wait....

BlitzburghRockCity
01-02-2007, 03:01 PM
The 3rd place schedule can be a blessing but also a potential issue like you mentioned. If we play an "easier" schedule we damn well better be ready when it comes down to the wire if we make the playoffs. The benefit is a 3rd place schedule of the caliber we'll be facing will keep us tough becuase alot of those teams are no pushovers.

Lebeau will stick around if we hire from within, I'd bet on it. If we go with Grimm or Whiz our coaching staff should remain largely intact with the exception of maybe the odd ball out of those too moving on to another job. There aren't that many openings this year, which is good.

K Train
01-02-2007, 04:02 PM
Lebeau with coach with us until he turns to dust, i dont expect that to change no matter who coaches....who would let a guy like him go?

BlitzburghRockCity
01-02-2007, 04:15 PM
That's what Im hoping. There is NOBODY in the league that can run the 3-4 like Dick Lebeau and since our players are built for that defense, I'd imagine whoever is the new coach will want Lebeau to stick around for as long as he wants.

Blitzburgh55
01-02-2007, 05:18 PM
We will win the division next year guarntee

Troyisabeast_43
01-02-2007, 05:27 PM
I dont think its a very had schedule at all. The games at home I think are all very winnable. Seattle and San Fran have to make long trips here and teams like that always have tough times winning games in the East Coast. The Bills are improved but they can be had, the Dolphins still arent any good, and the Jags while we seem to always struggle with them the game will be here this time and I like our chances to finally get over the hump and beat them. The road games are a little bit tough but nothing stands out where you say we cant go in and win any of those games. Denver and New England will be tough places to go down and win no question. But I dont see any reason why the Steelers cant win in places like Arizona,the Jets and St Louis. It all depends also on how the schedule is set up in regards to who we open up with and who we play at what point in the season. Its always important to get off to a good start like the Ravens did this year which let them kind of control the division. So it wont be asking too much if our first 4 games would be against Cleveland,Arizona,Miami,and somebody like San Fran or Buffalo. Overall, I think its a little bit of an easier schedule then this year. But again it all depends on how it sets up with times and dates and who we play at what point in the year. I guess will find out in early April.

House of Steel
01-02-2007, 08:05 PM
WE are going to make NEW ENGLAND OUR BITCHES NEXT SEASON, I put my money on that one.

BlitzburghRockCity
01-02-2007, 09:06 PM
I just cannot wait to see what our team can do in 2007...but damn this coaching stuff is just killing me.

If we follow suit, we should come out firing next year on our run to the post season.

SteelerFan87
01-03-2007, 03:33 PM
I just home the Miami game is early in the season, because they never seem to start playing untill the 2nd half of the year. Jags, they're coming to our house now. Back in the AFC Central, the home team always used to win in this rivalry.

Arizona and the Bills should be wins, St. Louis could be an entertaining game, Seattle should be a good game, Denver we destroyed when they were good, now they aren't nearly as good as last year, we should sweep the Browns again, maybe split with the Bungles and Ra-tans. The Jets should be beatable, 49ers should be a fairly easy win. Then there's the Pats. I can't wait for that game. If things are anything like the last time we missed the playoffs, we should come out angry and ready to beat the crap out of teams. I wouldn't mind a repeat of that 2004 halloween game against New England.

NOVA STEELERS
08-17-2007, 12:15 PM
We need to start off fast, the back end of the schedule can be a deal breaker...... HERE WE GO STEELERS, HERE WE GO

Mike Tomlin
08-17-2007, 12:58 PM
LOL! I just really think the Seahawks suck. They don't play with any intensity or get up. Too soft