PDA

View Full Version : Bettis, Dawson Hall of Fame probability

mos07
02-05-2011, 04:30 PM
How do you like the odds for the Bus and Dawson?

I will say.....

Bettis - 80%
Dawson - 40%

airbrake 1
02-05-2011, 05:22 PM
dawson should have been a first ballot enshrinee...i think this could be his year DAWSON 75%
bettis is going to have to wait a short while...faulk is getting in this year first ballot...bettis and martin will have to wait a few years deservedly so BETTIS 10%

mos07
02-05-2011, 05:36 PM
You are probably right ......... anyway I am holding out hope on Bettis (there is a reason there is a 5 year wait or he could have rode the momentum of XLIII in)......I pray you are right about Dawson - he deserves it, but I am a little nervous about it.

Farrior Fan
02-05-2011, 05:59 PM
Dawson is tough because of his position, no doubt he was dominant but there are not really good stats to compare him to others. Bus is #5 on the all time list for yards but he has the lowest (3.9) yards per carry of anyone in the top 20. I still think he gets in first ballot, I would say 80%. He was such a great player with a great personality, he has a ring :tt02: and he was so damn entertaining to watch. He embodied smashmouth football. Its hard to believe it has already been 5 years, God I loved watching him run over defenders.

Big T
02-05-2011, 06:25 PM
There are only 5 player spots available, Bettis should be first ballot but he won't. And with all the other candidates, I don't see Dawson making it in this year either unfortunately

Rampage
02-05-2011, 06:33 PM
Jerome Bettis, RB
Tim Brown, WR/KR
Cris Carter, WR - He will probably make it in this year, in
Dermontti Dawson, C
Richard Dent, DE
Chris Doleman, DE/LB
Marshall Faulk, RB - In
Charles Haley, DE/LB
Chris Hanburger, LB* - In
Cortez Kennedy, DT
Curtis Martin, RB -
Andre Reed, WR
Les Richter, LB* - In
Willie Roaf, OT
Ed Sabol, Contributor - Out
Deion Sanders, CB/KR/PR - Shoe in
Shannon Sharpe, TE

Of the 17 finalists (well, 15 plus the token senior nominees), I really see three players that will make it in and Sabol not making it. That means that everyone else is fighting for two spaces.

I do not think Dawson will make it this year because the competition is too stiff with players from flashier positions so I give him about 0% chance of getting it. That said, I think that it will be a fight between Bettis, Martin, Brown, and Reed for those two spots. I'll give Bettis the edge over Martin and I think Brown could probably edge out Reed. It will come down to whether or not the voters decided to double up on any positions in this draft. If they do, I'll give Bettis about a 20-25% chance.

PeachStatesteeler
02-05-2011, 06:43 PM
Should have went in last year.

kgreen
02-05-2011, 06:45 PM
Dawson should have been in years ago. Who really cares about stats when it comes to linemen? The guy was the most dominant center of his era and therefore should get in. Because of the competition and stats of the others he won't, which is a crying shame. As for Bettis........he should as well. 5th all-time leading rusher and really a one-of-a-kind back. He was essentially a FB playing tailback. He won't get in this year, but he will next time.

86WARD
02-05-2011, 06:49 PM
Jerome Bettis, RB
Tim Brown, WR/KR
Cris Carter, WR - He will probably make it in this year, in
Dermontti Dawson, C
Richard Dent, DE
Chris Doleman, DE/LB
Marshall Faulk, RB - In
Charles Haley, DE/LB
Chris Hanburger, LB* - In
Cortez Kennedy, DT
Curtis Martin, RB -
Andre Reed, WR
Les Richter, LB* - In
Willie Roaf, OT
Ed Sabol, Contributor - Out
Deion Sanders, CB/KR/PR - Shoe in
Shannon Sharpe, TE

Of the 17 finalists (well, 15 plus the token senior nominees), I really see three players that will make it in and Sabol not making it. That means that everyone else is fighting for two spaces.

I do not think Dawson will make it this year because the competition is too stiff with players from flashier positions so I give him about 0% chance of getting it. That said, I think that it will be a fight between Bettis, Martin, Brown, and Reed for those two spots. I'll give Bettis the edge over Martin and I think Brown could probably edge out Reed. It will come down to whether or not the voters decided to double up on any positions in this draft. If they do, I'll give Bettis about a 20-25% chance.

Seniors aren't guaranteed to be voted in. It can be 7 modern day players...there is a misconception out there that there are only 5 spots for modern day players and that's untrue.

Rampage
02-05-2011, 07:12 PM
Seniors aren't guaranteed to be voted in. It can be 7 modern day players...there is a misconception out there that there are only 5 spots for modern day players and that's untrue.

Everything I've heard has led me to believe they get in.

steeldoc
02-05-2011, 08:15 PM
Both in.:imho:

Phenomenal TJ
02-05-2011, 08:20 PM
Without checking (so I could be wrong) but Martin has better stats than Bettis, so I doubt the Bus gets in this year.

Cricker24
02-05-2011, 08:25 PM
no Bus this year...that stinks!! it was a really tough class though.

lloydfan4life
02-05-2011, 08:33 PM
No Dawson this year either. :rant2:

BlitzburghRockCity
02-05-2011, 08:35 PM
How in the hell do you not put in 2 of the NFL's all team leading rushers!!! Martin and Bettis both deserved it over Faulk!! For **** sake!! :cursin:

lloydfan4life
02-05-2011, 08:36 PM
:iagree: Matt. :evilshake:

Black@Gold Forever32
02-05-2011, 08:56 PM
Guys I loved The Bus as much as anybody and Curtis Martin is one of my favorite non Steelers ever......Martin actually signed an autograph for me when I was kid since my aunt worked with his uncle....very cool guy

But I think Marshall Faulk is a tool as an NFL analyst but he was one great complete RB......He scored 100 rushing TD's and 36 receiving TD's for a total of 136......He had over 19,000 total yards from scrimmage.......12,279 rushing and 6,875 receiving yards.....Faulk had over 750 career receptions.......He played in two Super Bowls and won one......Faulk deserves it more over Martin and Bettis.....

Bettis was in a tough spot in being in the same class with two other great RB's....I really think they should expand the field and have 10 inductees every year.......especially when you consider coaches, owners, any other contributors to the NFL can make it to......

airbrake 1
02-05-2011, 09:08 PM
the enshrinement ceremony should really we unusual this year...sanders and sharp will undoubtedly make it a dog and pony show with their overblown egos

PsychoWard
02-05-2011, 09:12 PM
wow this sucks :evilshake:

Clevelandsux
02-05-2011, 10:29 PM
neither did.It was Deion Sanders, Marshall Faulk, Chris Hanburger, Jim Richter, Richard Dent, Shannon Sharpe and Ed sabol.

ucsteve667
02-05-2011, 10:38 PM
great Deion...dont hit me and I wont hit you, and that friggin horse head Sharpe get in and Dawson doesnt.
just another Steeler diss

jpele
02-05-2011, 11:57 PM
I think if they're going to select non players it should be a separate category, I really believe Sabol deserves his place in the HOF but not at the expense of a player.

The fact that Dawson wasn't a slam dunk in his first year give little creditably to the selection committee, he was the standard by which all centers were judged.

Black@Gold Forever32
02-06-2011, 12:04 AM
I think if they're going to select non players it should be a separate category, I really believe Sabol deserves his place in the HOF but not at the expense of a player.

The fact that Dawson wasn't a slam dunk in his first year give little creditably to the selection committee, he was the standard by which all centers were judged.

This.......:yellowthumb:

Scorp
02-06-2011, 02:30 AM
Gandu selections.

steeldoc
02-06-2011, 08:20 AM
Bummer...Sharpe lived in my neighborhood when a Raven. Just an *******...:doublefinger::doublefinger::doublefinge r:

PeachStatesteeler
02-06-2011, 08:49 AM
Chris Hanburger? Really? No Dawson again.:cursin:

steelersgal86
02-06-2011, 09:01 AM
Damn...I thought for sure he was in :cursin:

Rampage
02-06-2011, 11:19 AM
They butchered that draft class.